Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

thats fine, players have been doing individual stuff like that for years and weve been sending 2 or 3 lads here and there to addidas, chevrolet and these type of things. but this in my opinion is different, what looks like a club directive to our players that they collectively have to do something and it just doesnt inspire me with confidence about where the club is going.

its just a bit strange, for the sake of whats probably F*ck all compared to our revenue.

now as i said, i dont expect everybody to agree, im not going to get into arguing with people over it, some agree, some dont.

in isolation, its not a big deal by any means and the least of our problems right now.

A tweet here and there can hardly take away their focus. We'll see how it plays out but I've a feeling we won't hear much more about this type of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'm sure the 5 seconds that a player or PA took to compose a tweet won't become the priority over winning football matches.

The question is what's the club's priority.

Previously Fergie drove it and it was about winning football matches.

Now it seems about sponsorship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

A tweet here and there can hardly take away their focus. We'll see how it plays out but I've a feeling we won't hear much more about this type of thing.

Not necessarily worried about players focus as such, its the clubs.

gosplan wrote: »

It's a business, same as it was a business under Fergie. The business side and football side have always run alongside each other. Until I see proof that the business side is affecting the football side then I can't make a call like you just did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

gosplan wrote: »

For the last decade yeah. The business side has been all about growing the brand and maximising revenue streams in this manner since the Glazers came in, that is what is good for them obviously. More money = yay!

It also benefits the playing side of things by allowing more money to be invested in that side.

I don't see how the business side has negatively impacted, other then the pre season tours which I didn't like, but they didn't seem to affect the club overall season.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

For the last decade yeah. The business side has been all about growing the brand and maximising revenue streams in this manner since the Glazers came in, that is what is good for them obviously. More money = yay!

It also benefits the playing side of things by allowing more money to be invested in that side.

I don't see how the business side has negatively impacted, other then the pre season tours which I didn't like, but they didn't seem to affect the club overall season.

Remember all that stuff that was said int he past, maybe by Keano. How from top to bottom, Utd was about excellence, even down to the tea lady.

An ethos has a massive influence on an organisation, that's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'd probably go with the Newcastle setup, and hope to **** that the defense issue was just a blip for that one game.

That's a very optimistic view you have.

How can you say it's a blip when every time Utd play in an offensive manner the same issues arise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

#15 wrote: »

How can you say it's a blip when every time Utd play in an offensive manner the same issues arise?

Let him fantasize. It's all we have left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

#15 wrote: »

And every game we play with the opposite approach the usual creating absolutely nothing issue arises

I'd rather the Newcastle approach than the approach in the 5 league game previous to the Newcastle one, at least it was entertaining to watch and we should have won unlike the other games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

And every game we play with the opposite approach the usual creating absolutely nothing issue arises

Agreed.

But that only reinforces my point. At this stage a blip would be a good performance from the defence and the attack in the same game.

The Newcastle defensive performance was not a blip at all, it fits right into Utd's typical pattern of only playing well on one side of the ball in any given match.

Calling it a blip at this point in LVG's reign is being incredibly generous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Midpoint of the transfer window and we are not linked with any player. This squad is not enough with the injury problems we have and Europa league starting next month. We have to add at least LB.

Also what I don't understand is why Van Gaal plays Darmian as LB and Young as RB. Young has played as LB many times and he is better attacker from left wing, similarly Darmian's natural position is RB. Sometimes Van Gaal tries to be too clever and ****s up everything. In 1 shot, he is playing 2 players out of position.

Can't wait to have a manager who can keep things simple and play exciting football.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Midpoint of the transfer window and we are not linked with any player. This squad is not enough with the injury problems we have and Europa league starting next month. We have to add at least LB.

Also what I don't understand is why Van Gaal plays Darmian as LB and Young as RB. Young has played as LB many times and he is better attacker from left wing, similarly Darmian's natural position is RB. Sometimes Van Gaal tries to be too clever and ****s up everything. In 1 shot, he is playing 2 players out of position.

Can't wait to have a manager who can keep things simple and play exciting football.

It's probably unlikely Van Gaal If going to be given much cash to spend this month given the pressure he's under. If things don't work out a new manager would need a new wad of cash in the summer.

Also, he has spent a lot of money so far. Perhaps he's been told to achieve his targets with what he has. Top 4 is very much on atm.

Signing players in January is not something the club has ever done a lot so whether we sign anybody or not I wouldn't be surprised, I'd be amazed if it was someone on that top level of player alright. That's about it.

Whats the issue with Darmian left back and Young right back?

Darmian is natural at left back, for about the 18,000,000,000,87 time. Young on the right means he is able to get balls into the box quicker in theory as he does not have to cut back, which he always done when playing on the left. I don't think its anything to do with trying to be clever. It just makes more sense, to me anyway. The simplest approach perhaps ;)

The situation where Ashley Young is playing full back for a club with big ambitions, be it right or left is the bigger error. I know he is down the pecking order and only there cause of injury, not great though is it.

I'd like to see a game with Varela right back, Darmian left back and Young wide left or right with Mata dropping out for a couple of games. Varela is raw but he looks like he could be a decent player but I understand that the pressure he is under right now to get wins makes it tough to make those kind of decisions.

Everybody needs to be a bit braver right now, that includes the management. If we fail then fail going balls out to succeed. As Klopp said in the press conference when questioned about Louis and the criticism of the style, there are many ways to win and you do what you think gives you the best chance at that time. The problem with that is when it becomes apparent that what you are doing is just not working you have mix it up. You have to nail your colours to the mast and just go for it, if you fail you fail. Better to go out in a blaze then fade away dying slowly in my mind anyway.

In the past Van Gaal has changed tactics again and again until he finds something that works, he ended up playing basically a 442 at AZ in the end after trying practically everything else and it worked! You have to find the system that suits your players, something he has always spoken of and though I lay a hell of a lot of blame at the players feet for the terrible run of form it doesn't mask the fact that the team still cannot put in a 90 minute performance, still cannot be balanced in its approach and be creative going forward while being steady at the back. That is the managers fault.

The Liverpool game is a huge one, as always. A convincing performance and a win would lift the mood a lot, not make everybody think everything is awesome or anything but it would give people something to smile about and lift the gloom, the confidence of the players would surely get a huge boost also. As much as I don't see him going anywhere before the summer a poor performance and a defeat makes his position look further untenable and fan unrest could reach pretty horrible levels which may force the board to act and since there seems to be nothing else available that the club will go for my worst nightmare will be coming true and Giggs will probably be given the reins until the end of the season, people of course would say, well he can't be much worse, but often people are wrong in that regard I find.

Anyway,

Cannot wait for tomorrow! Come on UNITED!!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

predictions for tomorrow?

draw is the safest bet i would say, can see us very cautious.

More money = yay!

given the state of our current squad and the huge amounts of money being wasted, im not sure how you can say that.

we are another £150-£200m away from being able to challenge for top trophies again in my opinion. given our debt is still £400m plus, i cant see us spending that this summer unless a new manager comes in and they back him to that amount. by the time we do spend it, several players will be gone so the problems we have now, will just be shifted elsewhere and theres no guarantee the current ones will be solved either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Charlie Austin gone to Southampton for £4m.

Still confuses me that people thought he would be good enough to be a United player.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

predictions for tomorrow?

draw is the safest bet i would say, can see us very cautious.

Agreed. LVG Will see a loss against them as extremely damaging, and for very good reasons from his point of view. The fans will accept a draw with little or no blowback. He will be even more cautious after conceding 3 goals to a terrible Newcastle team also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Still confuses me that people thought he would be good enough to be a United player.

For the money quoted, he would have been a great bench player IMO. He would have given us a viable alternative to Rooney,mwithout needing to be someone who plays every game. Given the lack of depth in our bench, he would have been a very good fit.

that was just desperation i think when we'd gone 3 months in the summer without signing a striker and 3 of them had left.

under the old Fergie regime of 4 strikers, he may have done a job as 4th choice but as you said overall, not good enough for United.

my biggest issue with him, is why nobody wanted to touch him last summer, there has to be a major issue there that kept him out of the PL until now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Lord TSC wrote: »
    For the money quoted, he would have been a great bench player IMO. He would have given us a viable alternative to Rooney,mwithout needing to be someone who plays every game. Given the lack of depth in our bench, he would have been a very good fit.

Yeah I can see that need, moving on high earners like RVP or Nani made sense on one hand but not without replacements just to provide options.

SAF for example saw the use of a player like what Michael Owen became as a back up.

Charlie Austin to Southampton - £4m, good deal.

Charlie Austin to United - £18m, not so good deal.

Big Sam will hardly mastermind a result against Spurs I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

get in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol that was quick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Hopefully we don't play our usual game at Liverpool. Pushing higher up and then our midfielders looking clueless in the final third will play into Liverpool hands. Should follow what Pep did against Dortmund, playing Martinez as striker and hoof it up to him to escape the relentless pressing. We can do that with Fellaini playing alongside Rooney and Herrera in midfield.

• Advertisement

If we don't win tomorrow, the table could be a sorry sight at 6.00 tomorrow evening.

5 points off Spurs Now and while I know results can go our way, we could also be 12 off Leceister and trailing 4 behind West Ham. It's a disgrace to be in that position, looking at who Stoke and Palace are playing to avoid dropping to 7th. Luckily they are playing Arsenal and City.

10th consequitive defeat for U-18's.

Another loss for our u18s.

This time a 2-1 at home to Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Spurs play miles better football than we do, and the most worrying thing is despite being comfortable you can still hear groans from the supporters when a player makes a poor decision when attacking

Van Gaal has set the standard too low

10th consequitive defeat for U-18's.

Something drastic has to change there and quick.

• Advertisement

Spurs GD is +20 now also, 13 ahead of us. Being realistic, we have 6 points to make up and a trip away to them.

Of course its manageable but on current form, we will finish 10th or lower.

Something drastic has to change there and quick.

i doubt the hierarchy and glazers are that bothered to be honest.

they may have the belief that developing our own top classs youth players isnt necessarily a priority anymore, when we can just pick them off the smaller clubs like we did with Pogba, Pique, Rossi, Adnan and you could also say Shaw and Martial perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

A few of the papers are linking United to John McDermott from Spurs to be the new head of youth player recruitment.I cant say I know too much about him but if rumours are true then at least the board are looking to revamp the set up.

yabadabado wrote: »
    A few of the papers are linking United to John McDermott from Spurs to be the new head of youth player recruitment.I cant say I know too much about him but if rumours are true then at least the board are looking to revamp the set up.

too late in my opinion, alot of damage had done that will take years to correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

too late in my opinion, alot of damage had done that will take years to correct.

Well they have to start somewhere,its better late than never.Start from scratch again if needs be.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Hopefully we don't play our usual game at Liverpool. Pushing higher up and then our midfielders looking clueless in the final third will play into Liverpool hands. Should follow what Pep did against Dortmund, playing Martinez as striker and hoof it up to him to escape the relentless pressing. We can do that with Fellaini playing alongside Rooney and Herrera in midfield.

Fellaini is the perfect player to have if you want to by pass a relentless press, we should be using the players we have at our disposal if he could link up with Martial like he did with young last year we could cause havoc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Too late for what exactly? Too late for the current crop of youths? Too late for LVG? Too late for season 2025?

You say the youth set up is a shambles and the owners/Woodward are ruining the club and when somebody mentions a rumour that they want the guy from Spurs, who have some cracking young players, its too late! So thats it lads its too late in Homers opinion, we will never ever ever ever ever ever again produce some decent youth players :pac:

If you werent such a miserable, everything is shít doom merchant more people would listen to you. Instead a good positive move is mentioned and its still shít and too late. Laughable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Could be worse, could be Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

J. Marston wrote: »

Chelsea will probably win the league next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Well that changed fast

• Advertisement

LeeJM wrote: »
    Too late for what exactly? Too late for the current crop of youths? Too late for LVG? Too late for season 2025?

You say the youth set up is a shambles and the owners/Woodward are ruining the club and when somebody mentions a rumour that they want the guy from Spurs, who have some cracking young players, its too late! So thats it lads its too late in Homers opinion, we will never ever ever ever ever ever again produce some decent youth players :pac:

If you werent such a miserable, everything is shít doom merchant more people would listen to you. Instead a good positive move is mentioned and its still shít and too late. Laughable
    Someone needed to say it.
    Chelsea will probably win the league next season.
    Yeah, and we'll get relegated.

Misery, misery, misery.

• J. Marston wrote: »

Yep, definitely now anyway :)

That Besic lad looks like a tidy player.

Chelsea get an offside equaliser after 98 minutes when there was only 7 added on.

Poxy bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United just need to win tomorrow, any other result makes life difficult for United.

given the state of our current squad and the huge amounts of money being wasted, im not sure how you can say that.

we are another £150-£200m away from being able to challenge for top trophies again in my opinion. given our debt is still £400m plus, i cant see us spending that this summer unless a new manager comes in and they back him to that amount. by the time we do spend it, several players will be gone so the problems we have now, will just be shifted elsewhere and theres no guarantee the current ones will be solved either.

Really?

You have no idea how I'm saying increased revenue means more money to spend on the playing side of things, then go on to show how huge amounts of money have been spent on the playing squad?

Doesn't really make sense.

Even though you cherry picked part of what I said and tried to spin it in some way you still managed to simply prove what I actually said.

Here it is again just to be sure.
    me wrote:
    For the last decade yeah. The business side has been all about growing the brand and maximising revenue streams in this manner since the Glazers came in, that is what is good for them obviously. More money = yay! The Glazers are quite happy to make money.

It also benefits the playing side of things by allowing more money to be invested in that side. More money in the business means more money to be invested

I don't see how the business side has negatively impacted, other then the pre season tours which I didn't like, but they didn't seem to affect the club overall season. The travelling for the pre season tours, which were commercial driven can't have helped imo, but they didn't seem to have much of a negative impact either in fairness.

Now you will not see much of a mention on how that money was spent, whether it was spent wisely, poorly, no comment made about the squad, no comment made about how much will be needed to spend on the squad in the future. So in essence I actually have no idea how you can respond with the post you responded with really.

I am sure you can now see why I was able to say what I said though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

5 points off Spurs in fourth tonight with our game in hand tomorrow. Really is bigger then just the usual rivalry. Really need not to lose although a point isn't great either. Spurs have a good side and are going really well, I don't expect them to implode like other years unless they pick up a few injuries. The demise of Leicester is also not coming as quickly as some predicted me included. Top four for us won't be such an easy get.

Leicester will falter, I'm not worried at all about them. The game tomorrow is a potential 6 pointer though. I don't care about the performance at all, only the result. A winner in the 90th minute from an OG off Lallanas hole will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Leicester will falter, I'm not worried at all about them. The game tomorrow is a potential 6 pointer though. I don't care about the performance at all, only the result. A winner in the 90th minute from an OG off Lallanas hole will do.

I dont see how you can't be worried about Leicester im sure they will falter but if our form doesn't improve they would need to falter on a large scale for us to take advantage of them.

I'll put it to you this way if they win tonight against villa then they will need to loose 4 games more then us over the closing end of the season for us to catch them now that is possible but I wouldn't be so confident of it happening not on their current form and they don't have European fixtures to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Yep I couldnt give a f*ck if Liverpool have 72 shots on goal while we have 136% possession with no shots on target and we win 1 nil because of a Sakho backpass that hits the refs left testicle and goes in! All that matters is the result tomorrow. Not that that will stop the meltdown no matter the result/performance tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement