Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The win over them last year turned out to be very important in the grand scheme, whoever wins tomorrow will finish ahead of the other imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Leicester will falter, I'm not worried at all about them. The game tomorrow is a potential 6 pointer though. I don't care about the performance at all, only the result. A winner in the 90th minute from an OG off Lallanas hole will do.

I agree, I'd say they will but the thing is they have a hell of a lot of points in the bag so they could falter for a time, have a bit of a bad spell yet still get fourth or be there and abouts! People have been focusing on Vardy and Mahrez but they have some very good players who are very consistent and don't get too much coverage or praise but the likes of Kante, Drinkwater, Morgan, Inler and Schmeichel etc are doing it week in week out. Experienced manager too so a decent set up. I think they will drop points but looking at them and their set up I just don't expect them to turn to dog **** overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Leicester faltering by going 1-0 up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Leicester will falter, I'm not worried at all about them. The game tomorrow is a potential 6 pointer though. I don't care about the performance at all, only the result. A winner in the 90th minute from an OG off Lallanas hole will do.

Not worried about Leicester? The way we are playing I doubt Leicester are worried about us to be honest. They are the form team in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Danny Drinkwater , an average player we discarded now top of the league.

Shows how crazy the league is this year.

Dont care if we have 10% possession and 1 shot tomorrow as long as we win

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Dont care if we have 10% possession and 1 shot tomorrow as long as we win

I love it best season in years.

LVG is a disgrace for letting him go knowing how short we were of goal scoring centre halves, whole club is an embarasment :pac:

United have to graph hard to get 4th, can't expect others to give us 4th place. None of the teams ahead of us are going to suddenly implode, the thing all teams ahead of us are dropping points now and again and we only once capitalised on it when we went from 4 behind to top the league, then back down on that most awful run without a win.

United will need to try and put strong efforts in both the league and the Europa league as they are the pathways to CL football. This is not the best season to go on a FA cup run.

I expect we will bring in some new blood this month, but it might be a bit like Martial, done very quietly. We need the defensive side of the team fixed so we can play more free and open up front, rather than being open all over...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

At this rate we will finish far behind Leicester City. They are 12 points ahead (if score remains same) and we will play Liverpool away tomorrow. So we need to close the 12 point gap in 16 games which is a big ask considering both team forms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Leicester must think we are chumps waiting for them to falter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

LVG is a disgrace for letting him go knowing how short we were of goal scoring centre halves, whole club is an embarasment :pac:

serious question, was it LVG that him go? thought he's been gone yonks

Nalz wrote: »
    serious question, was it LVG that him go? thought he's been gone yonks

Think he was got rid of around 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

jayo26 wrote: »
    I dont see how you can't be worried about Leicester im sure they will falter but if our form doesn't improve they would need to falter on a large scale for us to take advantage of them.

I'll put it to you this way if they win tonight against villa then they will need to loose 4 games more then us over the closing end of the season for us to catch them now that is possible but I wouldn't be so confident of it happening not on their current form and they don't have European fixtures to worry about.

If we don't find some good form then we won't be getting top four anyway, as long as we do our bit Leicester will fall away, I have no doubt about that at all.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

bangkok wrote: »
    Not worried about Leicester? The way we are playing I doubt Leicester are worried about us to be honest. They are the form team in the league

Jesus

That's great :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Leicester play Liverpool (home), City and Arsenal (away) in the space of 12 days at the start of next month.

They still have to come to OT, they have to go to Chelsea, away to Palace, away to Sunderland.

They have to play Watford, Everton, West Brom.

They do not have what you would consider an easy run in, if they make it through the 3 games at the start of Feb with more then a point I will start to take their top 4 credentials seriously, as it is though. With or without us finding form they are not going to finish in the top 4 imo.

So my point remains, Leicester will not be a team who stands in our way of CL football.

Spurs are a serious threat though

Now we will see what Leicester are made of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

NOBODY JINX IT

PLEASE

Leicester play Liverpool (home), City and Arsenal (away) in the space of 12 days at the start of next month.

They still have to come to OT, they have to go to Chelsea, away to Palace, away to Sunderland.

They have to play Watford, Everton, West Brom.

They do not have what you would consider an easy run in, if they make it through the 3 games at the start of Feb with more then a point I will start to take their top 4 credentials seriously, as it is though. With or without us finding form they are not going to finish in the top 4 imo.

So my point remains, Leicester will not be a team who stands in our way of CL football.

Spurs are a serious threat though

we lost to norwich at home, couldnt beat newcastle, lost to stoke, lost to bournemouth, we play liverpool away tomorrow but ye, i wouldnt be worried about leicester :rolleyes:

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    At this rate we will finish far behind Leicester City. They are 12 points ahead (if score remains same) and we will play Liverpool away tomorrow. So we need to close the 12 point gap in 16 games which is a big ask considering both team forms.

Its not really though when considering the remaining fixtures they have.

Assume we beat them, which we will have to obviously, thats a 3 points, I think its fair to say they could very well lose to City and Arsenal. Thats another 6 points. They still have to play Chelsea, Liverpool, go away to teams like Palace and Watford who can be a threat to anybody. they have to go to a Big Sam Sunderland fighting for their lives, same with Newcastle though its a home game.

I don't think its unrealistic to suggest Leicester will drop plenty of points along the run in.

It will only count if we get our form together, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

NOBODY JINX IT

PLEASE

Thank you, Villa.

Leicester beginning to bottle it.

• Advertisement

I don't think its unrealistic to suggest Leicester will drop plenty of points along the run in.

So will we, as we have been doing all season.

we lost to norwich at home, couldnt beat newcastle, lost to stoke, lost to bournemouth, we play liverpool away tomorrow but ye, i wouldnt be worried about leicester :rolleyes:

You really can't be missing the point much more then you are portraying tbh.

IN CAPITALS SO ITS REAL EASY.

WE HAVE NO INFLUENCE OVER LEICESTER CITY RESULTS BARRING THE GAMES WE PLAY THEM.

THE FACT THAT WE LOST TO NORWICH AT HOME MAKES NO DIFFERENCE TO HOW LEICESTER WILL GET ON AGAINST ANY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE.

NOT BEING WORRIED ABOUT LEICESTER MAINTAINING THEIR FORM THROUGH THEIR REMAINING FIXTURES HAS **** ALL TO DO WITH WHO UNITED BEAT, LOST TO, OR DREW AGAINST.

Any easier to grasp?

Really has **** all to do with whether Leicester falter does it?

RobertKK wrote: »
    Leicester faltering by going 1-0 up.

Faltered by going 1-1 alright.

Bottled it missing a penalty too eh? Imagine that!

"Form team in the league" couldn't beat the team propping up the league table shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

That'll do Villa, that'll do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

You really can't be missing the point much more then you are portraying tbh.

IN CAPITALS SO ITS REAL EASY.

WE HAVE NO INFLUENCE OVER LEICESTER CITY RESULTS BARRING THE GAMES WE PLAY THEM.

THE FACT THAT WE LOST TO NORWICH AT HOME MAKES NO DIFFERENCE TO HOW LEICESTER WILL GET ON AGAINST ANY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE.

NOT BEING WORRIED ABOUT LEICESTER MAINTAINING THEIR FORM THROUGH THEIR REMAINING FIXTURES HAS **** ALL TO DO WITH WHO UNITED BEAT, LOST TO, OR DREW AGAINST.

Any easier to grasp?

Could you explain this in picture form just so we are clear. Bonus points awarded if you include one of our shít youth team players and Fellaini :pac:

Considering how far we are behind them, how poor we have been, the lack of tangible evidence to suggest we are going to improve very much... Leiscester going on a bad run may have plenty to do with it. You quoted a list of Leicester upcoming fixtures which would be considered difficult... We know that there is no fixture in this league this season for United that we can in anyway consider to be a banker... We have dropped points home and away against teams who previously we would have been discussing not the result but how many we put past them. I think we will get some sort of a run together at some point while still dropping some points so we will be relying on other results.

Kind of does when you say they wont stand in our way of CL football when all season we have been dropping more points than them.

Kind of does when you say they wont stand in our way of CL football when all season we have been dropping more points than them.

It has nothing to do with it.

Shouting didn't work, I will adopt a new policy of simply repeating.

"Leicester will not be finishing in the top 4 this season"

from now on. Maybe that will work

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Considering how far we are behind them, how poor we have been, the lack of tangible evidence to suggest we are going to improve very much... Leiscester going on a bad run may have plenty to do with it. You quoted a list of Leicester upcoming fixtures which would be considered difficult... We know that there is no fixture in this league this season for United that we can in anyway consider to be a banker... We have dropped points home and away against teams who previously we would have been discussing not the result but how many we put past them. I think we will get some sort of a run together at some point while still dropping some points so we will be relying on other results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

over the last 14 years, finishing in the top 4 took on average 70 points. 2003 was the last time a team was top at this stage of the season with so few points and 67 points got 4th place.

Leicester would need only 23 points from their remaining 16 games to achieve that target though so its possible/probable we will need more than this.

73 points seems to be the magic number over all, no team has finished on 73 points and not made top 4 since 1995. to hit that, we would need 39 points from our last 17 games - a tall order, based on our season so far.

i dont think its far off to say that us reaching top 4 now, is going to be a huge task and would take a monumental collapse from Leceister and/or Spurs. Based off points per game so far this season, Spurs will finish 4th on 67 and we will finish 5th on 62.

Spurs are definitely in with a big shout at breaking top 4 this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

He's not arguing that United will get top four. He's arguing that whether we do or not, Leicester won't be one of the teams who get in the way i.e., Leicester won't be in the top four - The teams that are are the ones that will stand in the way.

I don't even agree with him, but I thought he was pretty clear. I'm not sure why people seem to be struggling.

You think Leicester will get top 4? Would be some achievement for them wouldn't it? Saved from relegation at the death a year before and into the CL the next year :)

One of those "Carlsberg don't do" in the making.

If they had a kinder run in and/or a deeper squad I would be more inclined to credit them with a realistic shot, most years I would even be rooting for them in fact!

As I said, if they come through the 3 games at the beginning of February with decent results I will have to take them seriously. Results like todays will be more common though imo

I will hope our main rivals lose and that we take advantage of it.

Tomorrow we need to take advantage of Leicester dropping two points. Get back to within 2 points of Spurs and 6 off City and 7 off Leicester, then hope Stoke can do something against Arsenal.

It doesn't matter that we are playing Liverpool tomorrow, whoever we were playing it was always going to be a huge game tomorrow.
    United can only take care of their own affairs and hope for gifts from elsewhere.

• Advertisement

I am hopeful this is the case. Not only for the obvious as a United fan but if they miss the top 6 my wallet will be a little more healthy by a couple of hundred so we shall see. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You think Leicester will get top 4? Would be some achievement for them wouldn't it? Saved from relegation at the death a year before and into the CL the next year :)

One of those "Carlsberg don't do" in the making.

If they had a kinder run in and/or a deeper squad I would be more inclined to credit them with a realistic shot, most years I would even be rooting for them in fact!

As I said, if they come through the 3 games at the beginning of February with decent results I will have to take them seriously. Results like todays will be more common though imo

I'm not sure that they will, but I'm not sure that they won't either. I thought they'd fall off much sooner, but they've hung on this far and I suppose it's possible they could keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

I missed all this craic during the week of LVG allegedly calling the reporter weight into ?......I hear said reporter has challenged LVG to see who loses/gains more pounds/points till end of season.

Is this true:)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

You have to wonder what it will take to get LVG sacked really. After the Stoke defeat I was convinced he was done.

Considering who the opponent is, If Utd ended up losing by a few goals tomorrow, any remaining patience for LVG will be gone IMO. By the same thinking, if Utd manage a win of any sort it will give him a lot more breathing room.

You'd have to fancy LVG to play cautious tomorrow. I'd say a score draw is the most likely result.

It has nothing to do with it.

Shouting didn't work, I will adopt a new policy of simply repeating.

from now on. Maybe that will work

I knew you were getting at that they wouldnt get top 4 and i was trying to get at the point they if they dont get top 4, we wont be there to pick up the pieces.

Not unless we get our **** together and win games again.

• Advertisement

I missed all this craic during the week of LVG allegedly calling the reporter weight into ?......I hear said reporter has challenged LVG to see who loses/gains more pounds/points till end of season.

Is this true:)?

Probably true that Custis/The Sun are trying to keep it going and cash in as much as possible.

Not sure if he called him "fat man" or "that man" Seems to be discrepancies depending on who is reporting it.

Spurs are definitely in with a big shout at breaking top 4 this year.

and yet Leicester beat them in white hart lane only last week.

just saying :rolleyes:

I knew you were getting at that they wouldnt get top 4 and i was trying to get at the point they if they dont get top 4, we wont be there to pick up the pieces.

Not unless we get our **** together and win games again.

That's a separate issue though.

Not even one we disagree on.

Probably true that Custis/The Sun are trying to keep it going and cash in as much as possible.

Not sure if he called him "fat man" or "that man" Seems to be discrepancies depending on who is reporting it.

Thought he said that man myself at the time.

and yet Leicester beat them in white hart lane only last week.

just saying :rolleyes:

You left out the part where it was Fellaini's fault.

ps. Did Spurs beat Villa? Cause if they did your head is just gonna explode since Leicester beat Spurs but couldn't beat Villa!!!

As regards the top four debate... I think two places are very much up for grabs, 3rd and 4th. I think Arsenal and City will be 1st and 2nd. This leaves in my view Spurs, United, Liverpool and Leicester (by virtue of them already having points on the board at least) realistically in a position to have a shot at two of those places or be there and abouts. I know the likes of West Ham and Stoke are not a million miles away and in the case of the Hammers ahead of us right now but I would personally discount their ability to be there come the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Quandary wrote: »
    You have to wonder what it will take to get LVG sacked really.

youd have to believe that losing tomorrow, will be the end of him surely though this is United and nothing is sure.

there isnt another club in the world that would still have him on board, something that most of us were saying this time two years ago for Moyes and they ended up keeping Moyes until CL football was gone, which was 4 months too late. we are already 2 months down the road now to the same mistake.

Good week for goals in the P.L. with another 3-3 at Stamford Bridge. I would settle however for a turgid 0-1 tomorrow where Bogdan accidentally throws the ball into his own net and then we defend that lead by lining 11 men across our goal line.

Liverpool or not, tomorrow is a huge game for United with the gap growing between us and the Top 4. Ridiculous that we need to go to Anfield where anything less than 3 points secured will be a disappointment and another setback, just as it was ridiculous that we had to go to Wolfsburg in need of a win in early December. This team of players should not find themselves in these desperate positions in the first place.

It's been a totally shíte season as a United fan. Had we have qualified from our CL group, and not hemorrhaged points in December, then we maybe could bring ourselves to say 'A point wouldn't be the worst return from Anfield tomorrow'. Instead, our season relies on each and every game going forward with upcoming fixtures at Anfield, Stamford Bridge and at home to Stoke taking on the significance of cup finals with the club's future in Europe as the prize.

I did not think we would be so far adrift of the leaders, 10 points now, never mind Top 4, 5 points now with a tough game in hand, by mid January. This is how big clubs fade away into decades of mediocrity and non-success. It's insidious, it can happen without many realising it. This was supposed to be the season where United showed the fruits of a frustrating but necessary transition period over the last two years and while maybe not win the title, definitely show that the team are capable of a challenge and could win it in the next few years. Instead, we've been shown that three years after the club lost the greatest manager in the game and the lifeblood of the club, we're still in limbo and haven't a clue what to do. We're heading towards a third season where we didn't even compete for the title let alone win it. How many more seasons like this will it take to solidify Manchester United as a has been, rather than a temporarily derailed powerhouse as most fans like to believe we are?

A pivotal season for the club this is/was, with the pendulum swinging between 'on the way back' and 'on the way down'. Right now it's jammed at 'on the way down'. By 'down', I don't mean relegation of course, I mean moving towards that era of mediocrity and non-success which current evidence of the past three seasons (including this one) has pointed towards.

So anyway, 3 points tomorrow is the aim and I don't care how it comes. This is a rare time where I primarily want us to win this fixture for the points and not because of who the opposition are.

You left out the part where it was Fellaini's fault.

leicester can afford to lose 3 games between now and end of season and if we won all our games between now and then we still wouldnt catch them.

we wont even beat liverpool tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

That's a separate issue though.

Not even one we disagree on.

Not really. You are saying Leicester definitely won't finish in the top four. That means that some other team must be in good enough form to take advantage.

Sure Leicester will have a sticky patch, but so will every other team. You really are writing them off far too quickly.

By the way I hope they do finish in the top four, even at our expense. I know that makes me a terrible fan but I don't care.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement