Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

From F365's 16 conclusion that I whole hardheartedly agree with
    Although few of United’s players impressed, this is a match that should finally dispel any doubts Van Gaal has about Morgan Schneiderlin playing in the biggest matches. His calmness is even more vital when those around him are so disorganised.

Obviously you have to be slightly cautious about clubs’ ‘with or without player X’ records, but Schneiderlin’s is striking. With him in the side in the Premier League, United have won six and drawn five of their last 11 games. They have won one and lost four of their last six in which the Frenchman has not started. Don’t make the same mistake again, Louis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Was the match thread any good.

Anyone go mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Anyone go mental.
    Liverpool fans got very sore when United scored :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Anyone go mental.

I browsed it for the second half but it was fairly quiet all in all.

Of course the only reason it was quiet is because United won.

Obviously if we had have lost the thread would be closed now and half the United fans would be banned.

Or so certain sections would have you believe.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Anyone go mental.

1 pool fan seemed to be happy with the result as it would mean more time with LVG as manager.

Not much else really.

• Advertisement

• Was the match thread any good.

Anyone go mental.

The usuals making up excuses, but other than that it was fairly tame to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    1 pool fan seemed to be happy with the result as it would mean more time with LVG as manager.

Not much else really.
    Seeing that a lot around social media. They do seem to forget that Van Gaal has beaten them 5 times in a row now.

But apparently their future is brighter, or some bullshít like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im delighted with the result, its a huge 3 points for our fight for 4th.

I dont think we deserve to win that match, should of been a draw but thats football for ya. Both teams were really poor but I expect better from utd because we have the better team but disappointingly utd were very poor.

I hope this win doesnt paper over the cracks of this team created by LVG.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Not goona lie, after today that draw against Newcastle hurts even more now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Thought this was cool.

CY8SFj0WwAEVd9T.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its shaping up like last season, all over again...this is very interesting, the big 6 table.

375288.jpg

why on earth cant we beat the s*ite teams? even winning 2 more games a season would help immensely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Great to get the 1 especially with such an average performance(i'm being generous) but surely the Premiership's going to be in trouble soon if the standard doesn't improve? The battles for rights between BT and Sky can't keep going to such colossal amounts with the product on offer currently? Surely? :confused:

• TheDoc wrote: »

Hes going to turn into another utd unsung hero

Crucial signing IMO and something we have been missing for so long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Young and Fletcher too. Loads of them do it. Apparent they love going in with the away fans in particular.

I suspect they do it for PR and would prefer to sit in a warm box.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Great to get the 1 especially with such an average performance(i'm being generous) but surely the Premiership's going to be in trouble soon if the standard doesn't improve? The battles for rights between BT and Sky can't keep going to such colossal amounts with the product on offer currently? Surely? :confused:

Oh they are loving how unpredictable it all is.

They know the PL will rise up again to be among the best tin Europe.

no f* king way is that the case,some of these players are only dying to get in the middle of the bedlem.

Cleverly was standing behind me away to City one year and kept himself well hidden, very few people knew he was there. the players go in there, because they want to experience it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Do you really think BT and Sky care are concerned about how pretty the football is?

They spend that crazy money for unpredictability, upsets, stories like Leicester muscling into the top 4, Chelsea being in a relegation battle. The more people talk about the craziness of the Premier League, the more money they'll make back from advertising and stuff.

Lol.

LazyDependentCaiman.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Headshot wrote: »
    I hope this win doesnt paper over the cracks of this team created by LVG.

Can't see how it won't. The win today has probably bought him a few more games, meaning he's going to see out the window. What frustrates me there then is IF he goes any time Feb onwards, a new manager won't be able to bring in any players to change things up.

I'll be honest, I still want LVG gone asap; the poor performances, even when winning, means I can't see anything beyond a dogfight for 4th this season. We're kind of struggling through games and thats the best form we can show right now, and I've no faith in him doing much to change it round at this stage.

People talking about "Can we still challenge for the title"...let's get back above the other three teams ahead of us before we start worrying about 1st....

TheDoc wrote: »

I did a post last year on where the stats for Southampton were worlds aparts when he played to when he didn't. it is the same for United.
    Would have him in my top three most important United players.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »

People talking about "Can we still challenge for the title"...let's get back above the other three teams ahead of us before we start worrying about 1st....

Not to be a pedantic Pat but...

If we get enough points to get above the 3 teams currently directly above us we will be top of the league brah.

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    Can't see how it won't. The win today has probably bought him a few more games, meaning he's going to see out the window. What frustrates me there then is IF he goes any time Feb onwards, a new manager won't be able to bring in any players to change things up.

I'll be honest, I still want LVG gone asap; the poor performances, even when winning, means I can't see anything beyond a dogfight for 4th this season. We're kind of struggling through games and thats the best form we can show right now, and I've no faith in him doing much to change it round at this stage.

League is way too unpredictable at the moment. Nodoby has convinced me of title winning form.

I have a feeling once you get towards the 'lvg out' status there is no turning back though.

I'm still sticking with having some patience and showing some faith in between all the apparent doom and gloom (as you know already, I've made my opinions clear on this already)

This will be the most ****ed up finish in so many years, I cannot put money on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It was dire stuff but what better way could you hope to beat the Scousers at Anfield.

God I wish Van Gaal could build on this, we aren't even that far out of the mix, but what I've seen so far this season tells me we are going to have more games like today that the other team will nick in the end instead or end up as draws and that is ultimately going to cost us

We are either good in attack and awful in defence or good in defence and awful in attack, a middle ground needs to be found and really should have been found by now given the amount of time Van Gaal has had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

Very much so, always showing for the ball. Good controlled aggression, particularly in the second half held the ball well and kept possession, made some good tackles/interceptions and of course he was instrumental in the goal.

Mind boggling .....moves like a Massey Ferguson but in fairness to him he had 2 or 3 players probably poorer than him today.

Imagine if LVG did what Klopp did today,brought on Caulker at CF.He's had 2 appearances for the 'pool and both at CF.

Well the manager, team and club need an aim. LVG is focused on winning the league, as he said we have to oversee the 7 points but it is doable.

Will never forget how we overcame Newcastle to win the league from 15 points behind.

So there has to be talk of the title, otherwise there is a lack of ambition at the club.
    7 points with Rooney looking like he has found some form, so different from the Wayne Rooney in the first game against Spurs when the ball at his feet and nothing...but thankfully Kyle Walker showed him what he should have done.
    I see a change in United in the last number of games, but a lot of improvement still needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It was dire stuff but what better way could you hope to beat the Scousers at Anfield.

Absolutely trouncing them would have been better.

todays game just sums up the fine lines in football.

with 15 minutes to go, we are playing poor and are 1 goal away from manager being sacked (perhaps) and one more defeat away from being out of the top 9.

1 goal later, and we are talking about a title challenge. football is mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

J. Marston wrote: »
    Do you really think BT and Sky care are concerned about how pretty the football is?

They spend that crazy money for unpredictability, upsets, stories like Leicester muscling into the top 4, Chelsea being in a relegation battle. The more people talk about the craziness of the Premier League, the more money they'll make back from advertising and stuff.

Speaking for myself i pay for both sky and BT. I like good football and i'm strongly considering getting rid of BT anyway,prob keep Sky to watch Barca every week and i'm sure i'm not the only 1 but i could well be in the minority.

• Advertisement

Nothing like being in a warm box.

latest?cb=20130217030741

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Steady on there Mick :D

Untitled_a21504fb1f0724da5d4e_1.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I have a feeling once you get towards the 'lvg out' status there is no turning back though.

I don't think it's something I wouldn't turn back from, so to speak. I'll openly admit, I don't have any faith in LVG to get the best out of players at the moment, and would adore seeing Jose get the job.

At the same time, it will take more than some scrappy wins and draws against significantly inferior teams before we can see if there is a turning point. Once again, we managed to get a win against a very poor team who still looked miles better than us. It's great to be able to say we got three points at Anfield, but I'm not going to ignore the fact we were ****ing dire for the entirety of the game, and managed to have a 30 second window where we smash-and-grabbed a goal to win.

If LVG is to win me back, its going to take actually managing to get the best out of more than 1 player at a time. Its going to take convincing wins. Because for all we've managed to nab some important points in the last few games, there's always that sense that if we face a decent team with a decent finisher, we're going to get absolutely smashed. We can't keep relying on these stolen points.
    RobertKK wrote: »
    Well the manager, team and club need an aim. LVG is focused on winning the league, as he said we have to oversee the 7 points but it is doable.

Will never forget how we overcame Newcastle to win the league from 15 points behind.

So there has to be talk of the title, otherwise there is a lack of ambition at the club.
    7 points with Rooney looking like he has found some form, so different from the Wayne Rooney in the first game against Spurs when the ball at his feet and nothing...but thankfully Kyle Walker showed him what he should have done.
    I see a change in United in the last number of games, but a lot of improvement still needed.

Fair point on the "ambitions" line. More would mean though that people are seeing the win today as something that will kickstart a challange for the title, and while its admirable thats our long term goal, I'd rather focus on the smaller, attainable steps we have to take to get there first. In the grander scheme, yes, it's the right ambition, but let's walk before we can run.

As for seeing a change...I'll be honest again, I've not seen much of one. Rooney is scoring goals, but his overall game has been very poor. Still, I'll take the "89 minutes, 59 seconds of dross and 1 second of game-winning magic" version of Rooney over the "90 minutes of pure ****" Rooney we've had the rest of this season. It'll also take more than a few goals against poor defenses to make me think he's completely turned a corner. But it's very encouraging to see.

After that, the only change I see is that we've seemingly gotten a bit more urgency in our attacking, but at a massive cost to our defense, who, after being the solid foundation upon which to build in the first half of the season, are now leaving massive gaps to exploit and are very shaky on the counter attack. We're lucky that our last few games were relatively easy in terms of Chelsea didn't play a striker, Liverpool didn't play a striker for the majority of the game, Swansea didn't look like they really had anyone who cared to try and finish a shot. Newcastle pushed and could finish, and a team who've struggled to score all season put 3 past us.

I've massive worries that our defense is all over the shop at the moment, and that seems to be the cost of looking for a more offensive game.

:D

CY7hJiuWkAAlvWf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I don't think it's something I wouldn't turn back from, so to speak. I'll openly admit, I don't have any faith in LVG to get the best out of players at the moment, and would adore seeing Jose get the job.

At the same time, it will take more than some scrappy wins and draws against significantly inferior teams before we can see if there is a turning point. Once again, we managed to get a win against a very poor team who still looked miles better than us. It's great to be able to say we got three points at Anfield, but I'm not going to ignore the fact we were ****ing dire for the entirety of the game, and managed to have a 30 second window where we smash-and-grabbed a goal to win.

If LVG is to win me back, its going to take actually managing to get the best out of more than 1 player at a time. Its going to take convincing wins. Because for all we've managed to nab some important points in the last few games, there's always that sense that if we face a decent team with a decent finisher, we're going to get absolutely smashed. We can't keep relying on these stolen points.

Fair point on the "ambitions" line. More would mean though that people are seeing the win today as something that will kickstart a challange for the title, and while its admirable thats our long term goal, I'd rather focus on the smaller, attainable steps we have to take to get there first. In the grander scheme, yes, it's the right ambition, but let's walk before we can run.

As for seeing a change...I'll be honest again, I've not seen much of one. Rooney is scoring goals, but his overall game has been very poor. Still, I'll take the "89 minutes, 59 seconds of dross and 1 second of game-winning magic" version of Rooney over the "90 minutes of pure ****" Rooney we've had the rest of this season. It'll also take more than a few goals against poor defenses to make me think he's completely turned a corner. But it's very encouraging to see.

After that, the only change I see is that we've seemingly gotten a bit more urgency in our attacking, but at a massive cost to our defense, who, after being the solid foundation upon which to build in the first half of the season, are now leaving massive gaps to exploit and are very shaky on the counter attack. We're lucky that our last few games were relatively easy in terms of Chelsea didn't play a striker, Liverpool didn't play a striker for the majority of the game, Swansea didn't look like they really had anyone who cared to try and finish a shot. Newcastle pushed and could finish, and a team who've struggled to score all season put 3 past us.

I've massive worries that our defense is all over the shop at the moment, and that seems to be the cost of looking for a more offensive game.

That inferior team smashed city and held arsenal lately.

lol just lol, some of these photoshops of Rooney celebrating are just gas.

Roon_zps1myitg5g.jpg

• Advertisement

lol just lol, some of these photoshops of Rooney celebrating are just gas.

Roon_zps1myitg5g.jpg

I posted that on in the humour thread,this is good if a little creepy.

NW8b4zK.jpg

zerks wrote: »
    I posted that on in the humour thread,this is good if a little creepy.

Was going to just post them all from that thread on the other site, some good work making them.

acas3an.png?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Not much else really.

I love the implied sense of self importance of it all :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

VgZ07NW.png?2

• Advertisement

United are doing less of the sideways passing which puts everyone asleep. Yes more urgency in attacking, but I would argue we are closer to what Fergie did with the change in his final season, where the defense wasn't great but we attacked, we aren't there yet, but that change is massive.
    Newcastle had a fortunate deflection to win the game, but Newcastle are finding a bit of form as they did us a favour by beating West Ham who were ahead of us.

I agree about our defense, and we need Schneiderlin to stay fit. Hopefully someone defensive lined up for this transfer window.

But look at the teams ahead of us:
    Arsenal now have two draws in a row.
    Leicester 1 win in 5
    City are the danger but we need to keep up with them. They have lost 5 games like us.
    Spurs just 2 points away.

United had the most awful two months and we can't get worse than what we were, and still just 7 points away.
    It says whatever about what is wrong with United, the rest haven't been much better.

Absolutely trouncing them would have been better.

Normally I would agree, but with them I have found it is the undeserving victories that have been the sweetest :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Normally I would agree, but with them I have found it is the undeserving victories that have been the sweetest :)

It really helps squeeze out those last delicious, lemony drops from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Utd will never win the league under Van Gaal.

This season could have possibly been the easiest to win it, given the season that's been so far but, even if Van Gaal had the team playing decent football as a unit and picking up results(a million miles from) the small squad which he has decided to(inexplicably)go with, would more or less ensure any title challenge would be scuppered by it. Sooner or later in the season it would come to bite him in the ass.

It's madness believing Utd have a chance of the title this season. Sure we ant the manager to believe it and say it but we are here on a forum posting our ****e freely about what we think and I can't see how anyone rationally believes Utd can challenge.

He's turned out to be a really really poor appointment for the club and has been blessed to last as long as he has, which says as much as the powers that be at the club as it does about him.

His time has come and gone. The point of no return long passed. I'm just waiting for the next manager and hoping he can rebuild the stature of the club on the pitch, get the team playing, make additions to the squad to it has a semblance of an elite premier league club and banish the mismanagement of the club under the last two managers. A tall order and I think the problems at the club are more deep rooted than that. I really hope the club has a good look at itself when Van Gaal is sacked and see the part it has played as well in the mismanagement since the departures of Gill and Ferguson.

• :D

CY7hJiuWkAAlvWf.jpg

Lol Homer that's class

Found my pic upgrade :)

Ah we couldnt even get the day out of it :(

If he fails to win the league but leaves the club in a stronger position squad wise and background wise will he have been a really really poor appointment?

I don't think so personally and I am happy with how the squad is shaping up and word from behind the scenes is that he is having a very positive effect on the structure behind the scenes. We may not see the results until the next manager of course but I wouldn't flay him as a terrible appointment even if short term success is not achieved. Won't know about medium or long term until after he is gone of course.

Maybe he will turn out to be an awful appointment, but it would probably be the first time in his career he could have been labelled that so would be pretty unfortunate on our part :)

• Steady on there Mick :D

Untitled_a21504fb1f0724da5d4e_1.jpg

Haha brilliant

Never let you lads down :)

Fan footage of the goal and end of the game today.

https://www.facebook.com/Telandbenjie/videos/718795138256173/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

A centre back and Attacker are needed to build on the position the team is in now.

I think even with van Gaal and his stubbornness it could push the side on a lot if they had those extra players.

Lots of teams are struggling to put a consistently good run together and the boost in options could help United be one of the ones that puts a run together, get Champions league at worst.

Silent deals like Martial or Morgan would be great over the next week or two.

I would absolutely love to be sitting watching a game with Ander Herrera when United score...

https://vine.co/v/iOIaPPY1YnW

Not to forget his celebration from the Watford match...

https://twitter.com/CraigNorwood/status/668076466270289920

Great to see.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement