Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

What I enjoy most of all from today's result is the silence from the pool supporters. I'm really happy about that because they get on my wick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

United are weak enough under the high ball so why not

Looked much more comfortable dealing with that tactic then plan A I thought actually.

When did I say he shouldn't do it? I have no trouble with how Big Sam, Pulis, Klopp, Mourinho, whoever want to play the hoofball in certain situations. We have always done it too when needed going back the 3 decades I have been watching football anyway

As to your edit.

Fellaini can obviously beat 4 players to the ball no problem, Smalling did great toward the end where he struggled when they were using quick passing and movement on the ground, same with Blind. It was a hell of a lot more comfortable in the last 10 minutes then it was for the other 80 really.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Does bringing on Benteke for the last 15 minutes when you're chasing a goal constitute hoofball? Or does that only work when it's Fellaini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Headshot wrote: »
    They are like blood hounds

ISf3l04.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

viper006 wrote: »
    The utter hypocrisy of this comment is breathtaking. Best one yet

98f.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

There was one stage in particular we were breaking and he had drifted over and was racing past the centre circle on the right wing and someone like Can made up ridiculous ground on him,like i mean made up 2 or 3 yards in the space of 10 or 15 yards, the man must have rocks in his boots because from the ringing endorsements of him coming over he was Usain Bolts long lost brother. He must still be partying like ****.

Yea crazy and that was Can who had played a full 85 minutes too and he, Depay had just been on for 10 minutes.

• For all the stick Rooney takes....including me at times.....

Thanks Wayne, your passion for Utd is unquestionable and you stepped up big time today

That record will be smashed soon and you will be one of utds greatest if not the best

He celebrated like the neveller :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Yea crazy and that was Can who had played a full 85 minutes too and he, Depay had just been on for 10 minutes.

The one where he played the ball on with his head? thought that was Moreno that caught him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

rooneyyhqy3.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    For all the stick Rooney takes....including me at times.....

Thanks Wayne, your passion for Utd is unquestionable and you stepped up big time today

That record will be smashed soon and you will be one of utds greatest if not the best

He celebrated like the neveller :)

I might have to bookmark this for the next time he has a poor match along with the rest of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Kew Tour 0
    Gerrard 0

Not as good, but I never let one slip.

Waaayyyy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads was Rojo in the crowd Today aswell? Any footage of him celebrating?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Lads was Rojo in the crowd Today aswell? Any footage of him celebrating?

https://twitter.com/MufcDevilUpdate/status/688757915277209600?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

astradave wrote: »

I knew I wasn't imagining things ha ha! A bit of a mellow celebration tho

I knew I wasn't imagining things ha ha! A bit of a mellow celebration tho

Camera only panned to him after the initial jubilation, don't know how he celebrated it when the ball hit the net.

Excuse against Exeter is that they played their "U21s"

They are delighted the team they support lost cause it means LVG stays on

And then reddit

Liverpool fans just keep giving me a great day. Thanks lads!!!!

I was about to correct you and say they played thier most expensive signing ever against that Exeter side....

But then I remembered..........

Andy Carrol

To continue being slighlty off topic does anyone remember what player played in some obscure african league, famous enough in the last 4 years ish.. Spent 2 hours googling and I cant find anything.. or am i just crazy..

Big shout out to Flint F today owned the internet.

Thought Rooneys first touch was way off again today and didn't play well but he took his chance brilliantly and as Lord Tsc said I can take that..

I do wish Fellaini had got the goal as it would have gotten many off his back but thought he was one of our better players.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Well if thats the case you're entitled to be happy. We're rivals for a reason and i'd be enjoying it if it was reversed. I do think that trawling through Reddit is scraping for it tho... especially as there's more than enough in the match thread to satisfy your passions for weeks.

That post on reddit was completely ****ed up tbh and could easily just pop up on any social network medium.

Some dude gettting his daughter to sing YWNWA watching a game on tv, to hate Fellaini and ends up getting herself so worked up she cries after losing a game, doesn't sit right with me.

• Advertisement

I was about to correct you and say they played thier most expensive signing ever against that Exeter side....

But then I remembered..........

Andy Carrol

To continue being slighlty off topic does anyone remember what player played in some obscure african league, famous enough in the last 4 years ish.. Spent 2 hours googling and I cant find anything.. or am i just crazy..

Big shout out to Flint F today owned the internet.

Thought Rooneys first touch was way off again today and didn't play well but he took his chance brilliantly and as Lord Tsc said I can take that..

I do wish Fellaini had got the goal as it would have gotten many off his back but thought he was one of our better players.

Think you might need to narrow it down for us :pac:

Its quite evident that he needs plenty of space to work in and he isn't capable of making it for himself often enough right now, hopefully he can improve but you will never get as much time and space on the ball in the Premier league as you would in the Dutch league tbh.

I think in general our players are quite slow on average, our build up play is quite slow so as a team we dont create the space, that players with great technique but are't blessed would flourish in.

In a quicker team I think, Blind, Bastian, Mata and Depay would do much better but I'm not sure you can accomodate them all

astradave wrote: »
    Think you might need to narrow it down for us :pac:

Thats all I have and its wrecking my head. May have played in Angola or Algeria but may have not thats all I've got :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Thats all I have and its wrecking my head. May have played in Angola or Algeria but may have not thats all I've got :D

Manucho

Times United have beaten Liverpool in the league in a row.

Shots on target against Liverpool this season

Goals we have scored against Liverpool this season

The amount of defenders who cant mark Fellaini from a corner

Today has been brought to you by the number 4

And also the letters

ROONEY

yabadabado wrote: »
    Manucho

Naw played in the league not from Angola and not a United player not African..

That is top quality knowledge though I woulda lost a few bob on us having had an Angolan who played for us

• Advertisement

Good morning lads.. Anyone else have an extra pep in their step?

• MrMac84 wrote: »

Yes, yes I most certainly do

Breakfast should be quite the laugh #bantz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think in general our players are quite slow on average, our build up play is quite slow so as a team we dont create the space, that players with great technique but are't blessed would flourish in.

In a quicker team I think, Blind, Bastian, Mata and Depay would do much better but I'm not sure you can accomodate them all
    Henry on Sky was saying that Pep used to say that it was his job to get them to about 3 quarters of the way up the pitch and from there the attackers have the responsibility to create and score, he can't directly help that.

Right now the team gets to there quite handily but look clueless when they have to create. Martial the only player capable of running from deep. I think he should be picking the ball up from there every time. Play him off Rooney and there's another dimension to the attack imo. I think Memphis needs a run on the left to get some form too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Win is a win but we're stilling not playing well
    #grinidnigitout
    #championshipwinningform

I'll not be ripping into any Liverpool fans and I work on a team of six guys...
    4 pool fans, a spurs guy and me...

• Any word on the injury Young picked up? Shouldn't have came back on after the the first time he went down and now looks to have done some real damage

Big loss IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

You have to consider the circumstances.

If a fully fit Sturridge, Ings or Origi was in the bench they'd have hit the nod.

Why not have a big guy upfront for the last minute ?

Didn't see a problem with it, try something different. Wish Van Gaal took chances like that sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Didn't see a problem with it, try something different. Wish Van Gaal took chances like that sometimes.

When Van Gaal made similar changes, he was called every name under sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

A win over liverpool is always great, but the performance yesterday was very poor again.
    1 shot on target. I lost count of The amount of times the ball was given away.
    Liverpool cut utd open a few times yesterday mostly in first half. Blessed they could finish anything.
    Utds defense is very poor. Now i can see why VanGaal chooses to play 2 defensive midfielders every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

This is something I wanted to ask Liverpool fans but I don't think it's possible to have sensible replies with lot of emotions.

So the excuse that Klopp didn't sign any player or didn't spend any money, how valid is it? Liverpool have spent 250 Million pounds in last 2 years and most of the players signed for that money are still with the club. That means Klopp is working with lot of talented players or players signed for big money?

Also isn't it trait of good manager to work with the players he has and improve them? For example 8/11 players in Leicester City team were there before Ranieri took over and he has improved them. Same with Tuchel with Dortmund team.

So how valid are the excuses, that Klopp didn't spend money or these are not Klopp players?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If you're going to nick a win against the run of play, then smashing it into the roof of the net off a poorly defended corner is one of the more satisfying ways to do it. That felt good.

On a negative note, for a team who's entire philosophy is supposed to be about controlling possession we were rubbish at dealing with Liverpool's press. And this Liverpool side is a long way from being anything special in terms of pressing. If we can't dominate possession against them then - taken with the other problems in our play - you seriously have to question what Van Gaal has been up to all this time.

Liam O wrote: »
    Henry on Sky was saying that Pep used to say that it was his job to get them to about 3 quarters of the way up the pitch and from there the attackers have the responsibility to create and score, he can't directly help that.

Right now the team gets to there quite handily but look clueless when they have to create.

I don't know if he's been talking about this again, and if he's altered his point, but when I saw Henry on MNF a few weeks ago saying this, he was also saying that Pep used to give the players freedom of movement off the ball in the final third. He contrasted that to how this United team are mostly holding rigid positions in the final third and said that he couldn't understand how that tactic was supposed to achieve anything.

• Pro. F wrote: »
    I don't know if he's been talking about this again, and if he's altered his point, but when I saw Henry on MNF a few weeks ago saying this, he was also saying that Pep used to give the players freedom of movement off the ball in the final third. He contrasted that to how this United team are mostly holding rigid positions in the final third and said that he couldn't understand how that tactic was supposed to achieve anything.

We debated this before.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Manchester United have won more games at Anfield this year than Liverpool.

Happy Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pro. F wrote: »
    If you're going to nick a win against the run of play, then smashing it into the roof of the net off a poorly defended corner is one of the more satisfying ways to do it. That felt good.

On a negative note, for a team who's entire philosophy is supposed to be about controlling possession we were rubbish at dealing with Liverpool's press. And this Liverpool side is a long way from being anything special in terms of pressing. If we can't dominate possession against them then - taken with the other problems in our play - you seriously have to question what Van Gaal has been up to all this time.

It was strange that all 3 of Fellaini, Schneiderlin and Herrera looked like they had never passed a ball before. Herrera and Fellaini have had a good understanding in the past and if nothing else, know how to find their own players with passes generally.

I thought Schneiderlin was really bad yesterday, probably United's worst player. Weak in the press, passing was off and made individual errors at a much higher rate than usual. Herrera and Fellaini you can understand them being out of position somewhat as one of them has to get up and support the attack but Schneiderlin has almost no attacking responsibility. I really thought that he was awful tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Monday morning, United beat Liverpool yesterday at Anfield.

****ing Buzzing!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

You seriously have to question what Van Gaal has been up to all this time.

thats the point thats killing me the most - 18 months in,it appears LVG still doesn't know how to get the best out of most of our players.

we are all delighted with the result yesterday, but i think almost everybody on here is also realistic that we were very poor, especially for the first 60 minutes or so. we looked as disjointed, disorganised and uninspiring as I have ever seen us.

i honestly couldnt figure out what our game plan was - our wide men were isolated, our striker was isolated, our midfield 3 were outnumbered at times and thus, our fullbacks were outnumbered. its a miracle we held out.

as a few posters pointed out, a better team would have beaten us, though at the same time, this team held Arsenal on Wednesday and recently hockied City and Chelsea so its a hard one to do properly analysis on, in terms of opposition quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    Monday morning, United beat Liverpool yesterday at Anfield.

****ing Buzzing!!!!!!!!!!! :D

And Fellaini assisted the goal

Wooooooooooooo buzzing :):):):)

as a few posters pointed out, a better team would have beaten us, though at the same time, this team held Arsenal on Wednesday and recently hockied City and Chelsea so its a hard one to do properly analysis on, in terms of opposition quality.

I didn't see the Liverpool-Arsenal game, but Arsenal were fairly poor against Stoke yesterday and if they were playing at that level against Liverpool, then holding them wouldn't be that much of an achievement.

It seems like everyone is blowing hot and cold this season, it's pretty bizarre. Unfortunately United are blowing more cold than hot.

I didn't see the Liverpool-Arsenal game, but Arsenal were fairly poor against Stoke yesterday and if they were playing at that level against Liverpool, then holding them wouldn't be that much of an achievement.

It seems like everyone is blowing hot and cold this season, it's pretty bizarre. Unfortunately United are blowing more cold than hot.

Yesterday really showed how reliant Arsenal are on Ozil.. they were so devoid of any creativity it was unreal. Cech was MOTM and kept them in the game.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    We debated this before.....

Yes we did. And I posted the video of Henry talking and then gave you the exact quotes where he contradicted what you were saying and that was where the debate ended.

Here's the video anyway for anybody that's interested, it's a good insight:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Me this morning waiting for my Liverpool supporting colleagues to get in..

hcx01AG.gif

It was a very entertaining game, but Arsenal were poor enough. I think they were badly missing Coquelin.

It was a very entertaining game, but Arsenal were poor enough. I think they were badly missing Coquelin.

In fairness, Stoke deserve their credit too, they didn't give Arsenal and inch for most of the game and worked their socks off. I really wanted them to score and get a reward for it, even though given how United are doing, a draw is probably a better result...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

our next 6 games are - 4 of them are at home, not that that means much advantage based on the season so far.

(H)Southampton (beat them already)
    (H)Stoke (lost to them already)
    (A)Chelsea (drew with them already)
    (A)Sunderland (beat them already)
    (H)Arsenal (lost to them already)
    (H)Watford (beat them already)

so that 10 points out of 18 in those games so far, would be needed 14 minimum, if not 16 as a return this time out.

making any predictions there is completely useless however based on how unpredictable we are. the next 4 are the key ones, as we could afford a draw at home to Arsenal then if went into them games with 4 wins.

our fixture list isnt actually too bad from now on, one of the most even balanced we've had in years in terms of so called traditionally difficult games - of the other 10 teams in the top 11, weve played 7 of them away from home already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Mata did well when he came on yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement