Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Since the 18th October, United have had 3 wins in all competitions ...scoring 5 goals in those games...versus CSKA, West Bromwich Albion and thanks to a Troy Deeney own goal, Watford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As a neutral I must say that LVG has to go, and very soon, or Utd will have no CL football next season.

The man is dragging the club into mediocrity that could last a long time if it isn't curtailed very soon.

• Nalz wrote: »
    Since the 18th October, United have had 3 wins in all competitions ...versus CSKA, West Bromwich Albion and thanks to a Troy Deeney own goal, Watford.
    Not good :(

Twitter blowing up again, I think regardless how the Chelsea game goes I think his future has been decided

Resign or not

My biggest concern now is who comes in, i still don't want Jose or Giggs

We are in a bad bad situation, I would consider it being worse that the low days of Moyes

My head hurts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Giggs would be equally as bad IMHO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Was it the Arsenal defeat that triggered the bad run?

• dfx- wrote: »
    Draw against PSV Eindhoven I would say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

dfx- wrote: »

The "bad run" is irrelevant.

The performances that have led to this point have been the norm since October 2014. Winning or losing today at Stoke is just another data point on the bigger picture.

We have never looked good under Van Gaal, but people were prepared to accept it on the assumption that because it was Van Gaal then things would eventually work out. In December 2014 we had two of the worst performances ever by a United team, against Arsenal and Southampton, and since then it has been month after month and game after game of ****e football.

People need to understand this point, this is not a bad run, this is the norm! Van Gaal cannot get Manchester United playing good football, he cannot get his message across to his players, and he does not know how to change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

dfx- wrote: »

The squad isn't able to cope with the injuries that came all at the one time, and the confidence has not recovered since then even with some players coming back from injury.

Rough day, not looking forward to Monday now, unsure about how the atmosphere is going to be around the ground, its never nice when the fans turn and to be sitting among them in the midst of it is always a very strange feeling. I was hoping today would be a day players and staff would stand up and be counted but they let us down, they let themselves down, they let each other down.

I am starting to worry about Memphis, nothing seems to be dropping with him mentally, its the same **** every game, his display today was a disgrace. He was not alone of course but he is certainly a candidate for worst of the match. For Van Gaal, I'm not so sure he has any rope left, if he isn't gone by 11pm tonight or so I would imagine he will still be in place for the Chelsea game, but after that regardless of the result I would not be surprised if he is gone.

I would love to see him turn it around but I just don't know how much more the board or indeed he himself can take of this, results are the all important in football and when you are getting them you can get away with poor performances but when you have not won for 35 days and are on the worst run since Fergie in 89 it has got to take its toll.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Looks like LVG may jump ship before he is pushed - sad end to a fantastic managerial career.

• The squad isn't able to cope with the injuries that came all at the one time, and the confidence has not recovered since then even with some players coming back from injury.

Rough day, not looking forward to Monday now, unsure about how the atmosphere is going to be around the ground, its never nice when the fans turn and to be sitting among them in the midst of it is always a very strange feeling. I was hoping today would be a day players and staff would stand up and be counted but they let us down, they let themselves down, they let each other down.

I am starting to worry about Memphis, nothing seems to be dropping with him mentally, its the same **** every game, his display today was a disgrace. He was not alone of course but he is certainly a candidate for worst of the match. For Van Gaal, I'm not so sure he has any rope left, if he isn't gone by 11pm tonight or so I would imagine he will still be in place for the Chelsea game, but after that regardless of the result I would not be surprised if he is gone.

I would love to see him turn it around but I just don't know how much more the board or indeed he himself can take of this, results are the all important in football and when you are getting them you can get away with poor performances but when you have not won for 35 days and are on the worst run since Fergie in 89 it has got to take its toll.
    Utterly useless and was so naive for the mistake that cost us the first goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Would mark Hughes be a dark horse for the United job? Legendary player, experiences manager, has done some decent jobs? Not a scorched earth merchant like Jose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Would mark Hughes be a dark horse for the United job? Legendary player, experiences manager, has done some decent jobs? Not a scorched earth merchant like Jose

Nope. Highly doubt it anyway.

• bad2dabone wrote: »

No offense to Hughes, think he's done a great job at Stoke and a club legend but still think as a club that would be aiming too low.

It would be a another risk but defiantly not as bad a risk as Giggs

Thing is though we cannot afford to take risks it's got to be a top class manager, like LVG was regardless of what people say.

Just needs to be younger and hungrier, Simeone would be my ideal candidate

Simeone's football would bother a lot of people here, pretty quickly.

To add, he is also in a very comfy position at Madrid, he is earning huge money, and with new investment in the club he is getting his way a lot. No real reason for him to leave just yet, apparently turned us down already when they were preparing to sack Moyes.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

bad2dabone wrote: »

City fan here, Hughes was absolutely terrible when given money with us - wasted a fortune on 'premier proven' like Santa Cruz, Wayne Bridge, Adebayor, Kolo Toure and others - he should have been sacked far sooner, our owners were far too loyal to him. I wouldn't trust him with a large warchest like United would probably offer - seems to do better on a budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Yeah simeone would be a really strong appointment. No doubt though, van gaal had been a disappointment and it probably isn't going to get better under him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Nalz wrote:
    Since the 18th October, United have had 3 wins in all competitions ...scoring 5 goals in those games...versus CSKA, West Bromwich Albion and thanks to a Troy Deeney own goal, Watford.

Wow, didn't realise we've been that bad!

• Simeone's football would bother a lot of people here, pretty quickly.
    Why so?

He manages to get the best out of players and has rebuilt squads for Athletico nearly 3 times now

I think he would bring back some Passion and drive and instill it in the players heads

And would play some Direct football

Also has a knack for picking out quality replacements when they loose players in the transfer market

Yep, today marks 35 days since we won!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

The peak of Van Gaal's reign was the 58th minute against Leicester City last season, despite the occasional spike in form it's been on a steady downward trajectory since then.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Why so?

He manages to get the best out of players and has rebuilt squads for Athletico nearly 3 times now

I think he would bring back some Passion and drive and instill it in the players heads

And would play some Direct football

His style of play is negative in general, people don't like that particularly here :) I am not convinced his style would sit very well at any of United/Arsenal or City actually, Chelsea might like him though. He is very similar to Jose in that winning is all that matters, very pragmatic, almost cynical.

I have concerns over how he gets the best out of players also, but won't go into that now as it would end up with me breaking the charter rules.

He would certainly bring passion and seems to inspire every player who comes in at Madrid alright, no argument there.

• His style of play is negative in general, people don't like that particularly here :) I am not convinced his style would sit very well at any of United/Arsenal or City actually, Chelsea might like him though. He is very similar to Jose in that winning is all that matters, very pragmatic, almost cynical.

I have concerns over how he gets the best out of players also, but won't go into that now as it would end up with me breaking the charter rules.

He would certainly bring passion and seems to inspire every player who comes in at Madrid alright, no argument there.

And yet the same people are happy to let Jose take the reigns, with all his baggage to boot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

This is pretty conclusive:

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-26%20at%2017.45.09_zpspfu97ddx.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

sigmundv wrote: »
    Wow, didn't realise we've been that bad!

Me neither but I think it's because we have become so used to bad performances over past two and half year it just messes with the brain.

And yet the same people are happy to let Jose take the reigns, with all his baggage to boot

I wouldn't call winning the CL twice and the league in four different European countries as baggage.

• Advertisement

• Alex Meier wrote: »
    I wouldn't call winning the CL twice and the league in four different European countries as baggage.

And what has Simeone done with a smaller budget?

Joses baggage is all his off-the-ball bull****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

The situation is so bad, that José has possibly become a necessary evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Jose shuts up shop only in big games. In smaller games his teams usually play attacking game and score a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Avram Grant being lined up......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Love Jose in charge, do people really believe he'll be as bad as LVG?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

ebbsy wrote: »
    Avram Grant being lined up......

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Well that's it lads.

Congrats to the few that have been calling for LVGs head for a few weeks,some longer, ye have been proven right.

I'm sure that makes ye feel better about the sorry state of the team.

Id be surprised if Louis doesn't jack it in himself at this stage, he looks an utterly broken man.

Sad end to a great career but c'est la vie.

I agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

How he hasn't been sacked yet is mystifying, I feel sorry that his career is ending like this but he is finished

This might have worked at Bayern and Barca with their world class players but he has utterly failed to mould his system to the players he has at his disposal which is the main aim a manager should have. I really believe Moyes would have achieved what Van Gaal has given time

We need an elite manager, that is Jose if Pep isn't available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Alex Meier wrote: »
    This is pretty conclusive:

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-26%20at%2017.45.09_zpspfu97ddx.png

Not entirely.
    Moyes took over the champions , LVG took over a team that came 7th and got them back inti the Champions League

But regardless , time for LVG to go

I really believe Moyes would have achieved what Van Gaal has given time

Ha. I have no doubt that had we stuck with Moyes we would now be better off.

That does not at all mean Moyes was right for us, but at this point he would have his own players in and some semblance of a gameplan, his performances and results would have improved to a point that Van Gaal simply isn't reaching.

• scudzilla wrote: »
    Love Jose in charge, do people really believe he'll be as bad as LVG?

Who has been saying this?

Not entirely.
    Moyes took over the champions , LVG took over a team that came 7th and got them back inti the Champions League

Isn't it strange that on the same board you will hear Moyes criticised for failing with "the champions" and Van Gaal praised for "clearing out the deadwood".

Were they the champions or were they just deadwood?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I'm no fan of Utd but have always been a LVG fan. Sorry for him to go out like this but can't see him sticking around much longer. However I do love the way he treats the media. Absolute pricks the majority of them and they deserve his contempt. You can see them on Twitter all giddy as fcuk that a man is probably gonna lose his job.

The look he gave the Sky reporter earlier was great. I wish more managers gave it back to them but they all play the game in fairness.

And what has Simeone done with a smaller budget?

Joses baggage is all his off-the-ball bull****

Simeone doesn't want the job...was offered it in 2013 and turned it down

Jose is the right man for the job and he happens to be available

It's now or never

Man U or Real

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

It's now or never

Man U or Real

Hopefully the Glaziers can't stand José. ..
    Would detest him as our manager.....bad taste in the mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Well that's it lads.

Congrats to the few that have been calling for LVGs head for a few weeks,some longer, ye have been proven right.

I'm sure that makes ye feel better about the sorry state of the team.

Id be surprised if Louis doesn't jack it in himself at this stage, he looks an utterly broken man.

Sad end to a great career but c'est la vie.

He's not gone yet. You're jumping ship a bit early.

There's a real fan still out there somewhere tutting at you from his high horse.

Utd won't be his last job, if does get sacked soon. A year out, he'll get a lucrative offer for some team on the make and he won't be able to resist the chance to bookend his career with a better finalle.

• Alex Meier wrote: »

It's now or never

Man U or Real

Your moving the goalposts

Didn't answer my question

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Hughes wouldn't set United up to be so negative. Neither would Giggs. I don't think Alan Pardew would, Sanchez Flores, Ranieri, Koeman, Pochettino, Martinez, i could go on...

Thats what will cost van Gaal in the end. His set up and ideas are too cautious in this league.

The players he brought in, clearing out the squad and his basic idea of better use of possession were right for United when they needed a new manager. But United needed more quality in attack to make his ideas work. So he should have simplified his plans this season like he did last season. He was too ruthless clearing out players without replacements ready (either trained up within or bought).

It must be too late to change now, the players look like all confidence and inspiration is gone. They look afraid to take responsibility in case it doesn't work and are not even looking for openings when attacking.

Your moving the goalposts

Didn't answer my question

What was Mourinhos budget at Porto when he won the Champions League in 2004?

Korat wrote: »
    He's not gone yet. You're jumping ship a bit early.

There's a real fan still out there somewhere tutting at you from his high horse.

Utd won't be his last job, if does get sacked soon. A year out, he'll get a lucrative offer for some team on the make and he won't be able to resist the chance to bookend his career with a better finalle.

This ****ing bull**** is the biggest problem with this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Link ?

What was Mourinhos budget at Porto when he won the Champions League in 2004?

100 billion dollars

yabadabado wrote: »
    Link ?

Paper speculation that he was approached when we were considering sacking Moyes and said he was happy where he was, gave Chelsea the same answer apparently.

Course turning something down in 2013 obviously means you would never be interested again.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Link ?

Andy Mitten stated it the other day on Newstalk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement