Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He's a target man though. Strong, good finisher but doesn't have much pace.

I'm not so sure he's what we need.

Pace is not something Cavani lacks, he has good pace.

Bit older one...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Sport Witness ‏@Sport_Witness 4h4 hours ago
    Gareth Bale, Anthony Martial, contract leaks, and a situation to be treated with caution.
    The Spanish media are full of screenshots of what is stated to be the contract which saw Gareth Bale move from Tottenham Hotspur to Real Madrid. It's from something known as the 'Football Leaks' website which apparently has an aim to reveal the secrets of football.

When the Football Leaks website started, it was dedicated to Portuguese clubs mainly, and shedding light on the work of Doyen investment group. Documents had been taken and then published, and it's the subject of a criminal investigation in Portugal and, rather than shedding light, it appeared to be someone getting even.

Whilst it was believable that someone had got hold of documents relating to Doyen and Portuguese clubs, possibly by illegal means, because they could conceivably all be together, what has followed since seems a little convenient.

In the space of a few days, the website has claimed to have the full contract for Anthony Martial's transfer to Manchester United, and then the full contract for Gareth Bale moving to Real Madrid. The Martial paperwork didn't appear to be as accurate as perhaps it could be, with clarification over the player's clauses a little elastic.

For example, Manchester United are, according to the claimed paperwork, contracted to pay AS Monaco €10m if Martial is nominated for the Ballon d'Or, and whilst that outline claim fits in with previous reports, the actual contract would have been expected to clarify exactly what they meant, which shortlist. Nominations for the Ballon d'Or go through a stage of two shortlists and it's hard to believe that a legal team wouldn't have made that clear in a contract where €10m is at stake.

The Spanish press can't agree whether the leak means Bale cost €100,759,417, €99,743,542, €91,589,842 or €87,010,350, relating to various clauses and payments, and are all picking a figure which suits their earlier reports best. Basically, they're all claiming to have been previously correct but using different figures to justify that.

It's astonishing that in a short period, the transfer paperwork of Martial and Bale has been leaked, when the transfers had nothing to do with each other and nothing to do with previous leaks.

Indeed, you may say it's unbelievable.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/astonishing-paperwork-on-tottenham-transfer-claimed

Like I said, there are many holes in that document.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

victor valdes finally gone just a 6 month loan deal to standard leige

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

bangkok wrote: »

lol, a loan?

looks like he is hoping that LVG is gone in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

lol, a loan?

He's out of contract in the summer isn't he.. basically fecking him out for the last 6 months of the contract..

I heard this earlier that the Belgian press were reporting it but nothing confirmed.

Has it been confirmed yet Bangkok?

Edit:Just seen he tweeted a thank you to United and that Dave said thanks to him and wished him well.. interesting tweet from Ballague too

https://twitter.com/GuillemBalague/status/690140709215719424
    Ballague wrote:
    Interesting point on why United only allow Valdes 2 go on loan: they have option of a year. So they keep him in case he's wanted next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

astradave wrote: »
    Great player on his day but he is 30 now so would only be a short term signing.. for that type of money we should be looking at Lukaku who could stay around for years...

He's 28, 29 in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

lol, a loan?

What flights did you get for 45e?

I've been looking for that game and can't see them that cheap at all

He's 28, 29 in February.

Thought he was older than that, apologies. The rest of my post still stands..

Don't get me wrong, I like Cavani and would have him in the squad in a heartbeat. I would prefer we spent that sort of money on a player that could be around for a lot longer like Lukaku

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

bangkok wrote: »

Do they at least have an option to buy do you know? Or will he be out of contract in the summer anyway actually? Wouldn't imagine the club will use the contract extension option they have anyway, I see the Ballague tweet :) Some man to stir it up.

Good to see him gone anyway. Best for all parties.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

liverpool have bid for Alex Teixeira

he was mentioned here a few weeks back as a very good player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Looking at Rooneys goals to games ratio for club and country earlier and while it only shows goals and appearances it says he's scored 15 (12) (3) for club and England in 31 appearances this season. Not too bad and he's seems to be playing with a bit of confidence now which is great. Not sure how many more goals he has to score to be all time club record goalscorer but it'd be great to see him break both records in the same season

Looking at Rooneys goals to games ratio for club and country earlier and while it only shows goals and appearances it says he's scored 15 (12) (3) for club and England in 31 appearances this season. Not too bad and he's seems to be playing with a bit of confidence now which is great. Not sure how many more goals he has to score to be all time club record goalscorer but it'd be great to see him break both records in the same season

7 more goals to level with Sir Bobby. he is 79 behind Shearer for PL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I wonder would we be able to get Sampaoli in the Summer?

I'd be sick if he signed with Chelsea or City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

What has this guy done? Not familiar with him at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    What has this guy done? Not familiar with him at all.

Won the Copa America with Chile recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Won the Copa America with Chile recently.

Dont get the love for Him at all.

He did well to win the cup and they performed well in the world cup but he has never won anything outside of chilie at club level he has no experience of European football let alone English.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Dont get the love for Him at all.

He did well to win the cup and they performed well in the world cup but he has never won anything outside of chilie at club level he has no experience of European football let alone English.

Don't get this kind of opinion at all. So what he hasn't managed in Europe? He's managed to get a national team to play an excellent brand of football, which is a pretty hard feat in the modern era. He's a better tactician than Bielsa which is a pretty big achievement. He's also won a Copa with Chile and whoever signs him will be getting a fantastic manager. He's exactly the kind of manager we should be going for. His style of play is perfectly suited to the PL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Don't know how true the source is but I pray this man is LVG successor:

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/690269651750752257

glued wrote: »
    Don't get this kind of opinion at all. So what he hasn't managed in Europe? He's managed to get a national team to play an excellent brand of football, which is a pretty hard feat in the modern era. He's a better tactician than Bielsa which is a pretty big achievement. He's also won a Copa with Chile and whoever signs him will be getting a fantastic manager. He's exactly the kind of manager we should be going for. His style of play is perfectly suited to the PL.

Because international management means jack all when you have to go into club management and manage the moral of players on a daily Basis and identify players for transfer

I have no doubt he is a good coach and he may be tactically brilliant but he is not the perfect kind of manager we need he would be a massive gamble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

7 more goals to level with Sir Bobby. he is 79 behind Shearer for PL.

he will get bobbys, wont touch Shearers with the two bad bad years he has had

^ Amen

eh, that was an amen to Jayo's post that I also thanked

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

jayo26 wrote: »
    Because international management means jack all when you have to go into club management and manage the moral of players on a daily Basis and identify players for transfer

I have no doubt he is a good coach and he may be tactically brilliant but he is not the perfect kind of manager we need he would be a massive gamble.

A massive gamble in comparison to whom? Every appointment is a massive risk. He has managed at club level so I'm not sure what relevance that point has. Performing at a European level has no real relevance to the Premier League either.

Has he done it on a cold Tuesday night? No. Has Pep? Simeone? La Liga and Bundesliga experience means 'jack all' when it comes to managing in the Premier League.

I'd rather look at the product on the field when judging a manager rather than assuming X is greater than Y with no real factual basis for doing so. When judging the product on the field there is only one winner. What he achieved with Chile is remarkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Most important thing for me how many trophies has the manager won.

Headshot wrote: »
    Most important thing for me how many trophies has the manager won.

I hear that trappatoni lads on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Don't know how true the source is but I pray this man is LVG successor:

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/690269651750752257

Here is the link to the source.

https://twitter.com/lequipe/status/690272297869967360
    The meeting took place in Paris, at the Hotel Bristol, rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré.

There has been rumour that Vab Gaal will leave in the summer.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    Here is the link to the source.

https://twitter.com/lequipe/status/690272297869967360

There has been rumour that Vab Gaal will leave in the summer.

Both sides have denied it apparently, could be something in it so, why would the club feel the need to deny a report from L'equipe.

https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/690300910484922368

https://twitter.com/ianherbs/status/690305017904021504

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I couldn't possibly trust a journalist who doesn't even capitalise his own name.

gardola.png

Scolari was seen as a good appointment too, I remember being lambasted for holding similar opinions about the huge difference between international and club management. Scolari had also had domestic success, in Brazil. It simply doesn't always translate, more recently even we had Gerardo Martino at Barcelona, did very well with Paraguay all things considered, quarter final of a WC, runner up in a Copa America, his work with Newell's is well known surely but success simply did not follow him to Europe. His style of football is very pleasing on the eye, high pressing, attack minded. It is not a guarantee of success however and only winning one trophy with that Barcelona team (the Spanish Super cup) is rightly seen as failure basically. He is now back managing Argentina, who we all know did quite well in the Copa America recently, losing in the final to Chile on penalties :)

I'd have quite a few reservations about Sampaoli, I doubt he is very high on the list of candidates though anyway so probably a moot point right now.

Just to show how good tour post was stringer you posted it twice haha.

I agree scolari was my next comparison. As you said he would be far down the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Mirror going with United refusing to splash the cash in the transfer window as LVG's future looks very uncertain for the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

RobertKK wrote: »
    The Mirror going with United refusing to splash the cash in the transfer window as LVG's future looks very uncertain for the summer.

Delighted

Scolari was seen as a good appointment too, I remember being lambasted for holding similar opinions about the huge difference between international and club management. Scolari had also had domestic success, in Brazil. It simply doesn't always translate, more recently even we had Gerardo Martino at Barcelona, did very well with Paraguay all things considered, quarter final of a WC, runner up in a Copa America, his work with Newell's is well known surely but success simply did not follow him to Europe. His style of football is very pleasing on the eye, high pressing, attack minded. It is not a guarantee of success however and only winning one trophy with that Barcelona team (the Spanish Super cup) is rightly seen as failure basically. He is now back managing Argentina, who we all know did quite well in the Copa America recently, losing in the final to Chile on penalties :)

I'd have quite a few reservations about Sampaoli, I doubt he is very high on the list of candidates though anyway so probably a moot point right now.

Why would you assume he's not very high on the list of candidates? I doubt the club is as immersed in silly comparisons as you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Sampaoli would be the football hipsters choice.

Club football is infinitely different to national.

In national football most of the time the players have to convince the management team to pick them, in club football the management team has to try and convince players to play for them.

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Unusual for them to actually deny a link but eitherway they not exactly gonna admit it.

And he is not going to admit it either, especially since he has already had to apologise for putting managers under pressure with his previous comments. If the meeting took place, it wouldn't be in United's interest for Van Gaal and the squad to know the manager's days were numbered.

glued wrote: »
    Why would you assume he's not very high on the list of candidates? I doubt the club is as immersed in silly comparisons as you are.

You hardly expect a serious answer going by your wording, so I'll simply say.

Potato. That is why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Sure get rid of LVG, hire Pep and United wont ever have another boring match where they pass it around a lot without success. Right?

For all his faults I think LVG has brought in a lot of good players which is what was/is needed as we go forward. If he gets the final year of his deal and gets another Martial type signing in for the attack it could make a world of difference going forward. I'm not as impatient for success as others in here though. I'm on the side of a rebuild taking time and continuity being better than changing manager and vision every 2 or so years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Liam O wrote: »
    Sure get rid of LVG, hire Pep and United wont ever have another boring match where they pass it around a lot without success. Right?

For all his faults I think LVG has brought in a lot of good players which is what was/is needed as we go forward. If he gets the final year of his deal and gets another Martial type signing in for the attack it could make a world of difference going forward. I'm not as impatient for success as others in here though. I'm on the side of a rebuild taking time and continuity being better than changing manager and vision every 2 or so years.

I've seen almost nothing from VG in the last season and half to indicate he has the ability to get the team playing good attacking football, along with maintaining a solid defence.

I don't agree with continuity just for the sake of it - you should have to earn the right to keep your job, and I don't think LVG has done so. He should have been sacked after the Stoke game.

As for getting another Martial type signing - he has made him relatively ineffective by shoving him out on the wing constantly and was utterly unable to integrate Di Maria into the side. Memphis has been disappointing all season as well. Rooney has been poor under him. Pretty much every attacking player we have had under him has performed poorly, so I'd be weary of giving him another £60million attacking player to play out of position and force to play a cautious risk averse style of football.

Liam O wrote: »

For all his faults I think LVG has brought in a lot of good players which is what was/is needed as we go forward.

the term "good" is very subjective when many of those signings are playing nowhere near the level needed. lets not forget, he has spent £250m....a huge amount of money in just over 12 months and lets be fair here, for that money, you'd expect a better quality team than what we have now.

the likes of Shaw and Martial have shown massive potential - but we have no idea for example how Shaw will be after his injury. Martial could be world class, but again its too early to say.

so far Memphis has been awful - i think he will come good and i am glad we signed him, but no guarantees there at all, like the other 2.

the jury is out on Bastian and Rojo, he doesnt trust Herrera (though i think he is a super player) and Daley Blind is "safe" but not United first team quality in my opinion.

Morgan looks a fine player, but as yet hasnt offered us anything different to Carrick though again, i am glad we signed him and i consider him first 11 material.

Falcao and Di Maria - already gone.

the jury is still out on our transfer dealings since LVG took over. as yet, apart from maybe Morgan, no senior/proven player has come into the team and settled in quickly. its very much a case of potential impact as opposed to anything with the majority of the rest of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Anyone who travels to a lot of games (homer maybe) have an opinion on what will be done with the Everton game first weekend in April? Was looking to fly Friday morning to Sunday night or possibly Monday morning.

You reckon it will be a Sunday or Saturday kick off? Or worse still Monday night?

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Anyone who travels to a lot of games (homer maybe) have an opinion on what will be done with the Everton game first weekend in April? Was looking to fly Friday morning to Sunday night or possibly Monday morning.

You reckon it will be a Sunday or Saturday kick off? Or worse still Monday night?
    in general that is one game the police like to have early - it has been consistently the case for the last number of years. So it is likely to be an early kickoff.

However, i think the game last season was a late kickoff, which surprised people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

in general that is one game the police like to have early - it has been consistently the case for the last number of years. So it is likely to be an early kickoff.

However, i think the game last season was a late kickoff, which surprised people.

Early Sunday or Saturday? Not very likely for the Monday is imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Van Gaal should have been sacked twice over by now it's foolish of him to think he'll get another season, he has shown nothing in his time at United that things will get better and he's been getting away with it by using either the "time to learn the philosophy" excuse or when the fans realised that was pretty much bullshít then it changed to needing players, which we really don't because this squad could comfortably get 4th and even challenge under a good manager.

I hope he's reading the papers this morning, he has nothing to lose at this point, his career is going to end on a low he should throw everything at these last 4 months. It doesn't look like we are going to buy any players either, we have to use what we have, so something has to change or we'll see what we've seen for the past 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Well.....f*ck!

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/690506152338128896
    Louis van Gaal tells #MUTV Ashley Young has a severe groin injury and will be operated on. The #mufc winger will be out for "a long time."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Louis van Gaal tells MUTV Ashley Young has a severe groin injury and will be operated on. The #mufc winger will be out for "a long time."

The boss adds that Phil Jones and Bastian Schweinsteiger will miss Saturday's game v Southampton but Adnan Januzaj is available.

Any word on Ashley Young?

100% starting on the wing in our next game is what I heard.

I thought the presser wasn't untill 12;30

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Young looked in a fair bit of pain when he went down. Bad loss as he was playing very well.

In other news, Sky reporting that according to Ballague, Pep didn't meet United and is off to city.

• Advertisement

Big problems at full back now.

Shaw out, obviously first choice LB. Young and Valencia are now out for a significant period and they were two of the backup options. Jones out too which means we can't move Blind from CB.

Is Rojo fit? Good chance we are going to have to go with CBJ for a few games.

United's small squad getting smaller and smaller.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement