Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Big problems at full back now.

Shaw out, obviously first choice LB. Young and Valencia are now out for a significant period and they were two of the backup options. Jones out too which means we can't move Blind from CB.

Is Rojo fit? Good chance we are going to have to go with CBJ for a few games.

United's small squad getting smaller and smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

This transfer window thus far has mirrored the way the season has gone - dull, uninspiring and at times perplexing.
    Read yesterday that they dont want to hand LVG any cash because they plan to replace him in the summer - surely thats rubbish? Why keep him on that long if that is the case and risk missing out on 4th spot? The team is in bad need to 2 or 3 players, one for the wide right side and possibly a full back as well. Surely they are not that stupid as to miss that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

This transfer window thus far has mirrored the way the season has gone - dull, uninspiring and at times perplexing.
    Read yesterday that they dont want to hand LVG any cash because they plan to replace him in the summer - surely thats rubbish? Why keep him on that long if that is the case and risk missing out on 4th spot? The team is in bad need to 2 or 3 players, one for the wide right side and possibly a full back as well. Surely they are not that stupid as to miss that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The position most in need is a pacy and versatile no. 10 type. Someone who can dribble from deep and make space for others to run off. This will create space for other attackers. It would make up somewhat for the midfielders lack of pace and free up Rooney that bit more.

right now i'd be throwing money around looking for a top quality CB, for two reasons.

1. We need a top class CB to partner Smalling.
    2. Signing one would mean we can move Blind to full back, with Shaw and Young out.

Doubt there is anyone of the right quality to get though, can't see Everton selling Stones and I would think him to be the number one target there.

Don't think we could bring in a good enough left back - or they'd be a waste of money on the assumption Shaw will come back fine from the injury and take tat spot again.

• Advertisement

right now i'd be throwing money around looking for a top quality CB, for two reasons.

1. We need a top class CB to partner Smalling.
    2. Signing one would mean we can move Blind to full back, with Shaw and Young out.

Doubt there is anyone of the right quality to get though, can't see Everton selling Stones and I would think him to be the number one target there.

Don't think we could bring in a good enough left back - or they'd be a waste of money on the assumption Shaw will come back fine from the injury and take tat spot again.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

We badly need to supplement the defence, whether that means a cb to allow moving Blind or a backup fb I'm not really sure.

Debuchy wants out of Arsenal, is he too far gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

You hardly expect a serious answer going by your wording, so I'll simply say.

Potato. That is why.

I wasn't expecting a serious answer as you made a preposterous assumption that he wouldn't be 'very high on a list of potential candidates". Using Scolari and Martino as your examples is incredibly stupid. Scolari wasn't allowed to replace an ageing squad. You can't cite him as a failure when he was never given a chance from the start. Martino's Paraguay played a horrible ultra-defensive style of play. Martino was a bizarre replacement for Barcelona at the time considering how desperate Paraguay played under him and how people exaggerated how bad Newells were at the time. Cagna caused a lot of problems and Martino did very well to correct a lot of issues but he still had no experience of playing good football against decent opposition.

Bizarre logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Rodriguez off Wolfsburg would be sold for the right price, so many problems at full back we may as well spend the money

Young, already well established, well rounded good defending and attacking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

glued wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting a serious answer as you made a preposterous assumption that he wouldn't be 'very high on a list of potential candidates". Using Scolari and Martino as your examples is incredibly stupid. Scolari wasn't allowed to replace an ageing squad. You can't cite him as a failure when he was never given a chance from the start. Martino's Paraguay played a horrible ultra-defensive style of play. Martino was a bizarre replacement for Barcelona at the time considering how desperate Paraguay played under him and how people exaggerated how bad Newells were at the time. Cagna caused a lot of problems and Martino did very well to correct a lot of issues but he still had no experience of playing good football against decent opposition.

Bizarre logic.

What do you consider the main differences between top level club and national team management requirements if any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

signing a left back is nothing but short term thinking when signing a center back is the real need. CB is needed long both now and long term, we honestly could have a scenario at some point next year that if* all our LBs are fit, that we have 2 from Shaw, Daley and Rojo sitting on the bench and thats excluding a potential new signing.

at least if we get in a CB now, it means we can put Daley at LB until Shaw & Rojo come back.

*fully conscious that keeping our defenders fit is a bit ask

What do you consider the main differences between top level club and national team management requirements if any.

There are obvious differences but there are very few managers, if any, that have solely managed at international level; So the point that international managers do not translate well at club level is absurd and stupid considering that many will have managed at club level for some period. Some people seem to be dim enough to assume that anyone who has managed at international level is working in a completely alien trade with no relevance to club football at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

There are obvious differences but there are very few managers, if any, that have solely managed at international level; So the point that international managers do not translate well at club level is absurd and stupid considering that many will have managed at club level for some period. Some people seem to be dim enough to assume that anyone who has managed at international level is working in a completely alien trade with no relevance to club football at all.

The point being contended is that success at international level does not necessarily translate to success at club level because the two are not equivalent. You concede here that they are not equivalent, but then appear to suggest that just having managed at club level at all makes you a good club manager, as long as you have had success internationally. There is a hole in this logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Get in!! A new signing !!
    utdreport.com ‏@utdreport 56m56 minutes ago
    Official: #mufc agree deal with Columbia Sportswear to be official outdoor apparel partner

TheTownie wrote: »
    Get in!! A new signing !!

CJy7U2rWoAAx2pk.jpg

The point being contended is that success at international level does not necessarily translate to success at club level because the two are not equivalent. You concede here that they are not equivalent, but then appear to suggest that just having managed at club level at all makes you a good club manager, as long as you have had success internationally. There is a hole in this logic.

Thats not what I'm saying at all. Nice attempt at jumping on one sentence and going for it. My point was that most of the guys at the top level of international management will have had success at club level. I just didn't think I had to spell that out as I was referring directly to the managers named. Nice try straw man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Thats not what I'm saying at all. Nice attempt at jumping on one sentence and going for it. My point was that most of the guys at the top level of international management will have had success at club level. I just didn't think I had to spell that out as I was referring directly to the managers named. Nice try straw man.

Just because people have different opinions then you dont make them dim, it dont make their opinions stupid.

No one said he wont be a top class manager it is simply a massive risk.

It is even more dim to dismiss other people's points of views as been stupid and dim.

As stringer said your not worth the effort of a logical argument.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Just because people have different opinions then you dont make them dim, it dont make their opinions stupid.

No one said he wont be a top class manager it is simply a massive risk.

It is even more dim to dismiss other people's points of views as been stupid and dim.

As stringer said your not worth the effort of a logical argument.

Every appointment is a massive risk, not just an international manager. I don't care if you want to debate it or not. Your argument wasn't logical anyway.

Perhaps consider avoiding the use of sentences that diminish the coherence of your argument, and investigating the definition of straw man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

What do we think for tomorrow folks?

The Saints have been very hot and cold this year, no more than ourselves but I fancy us to get a comfortable win for some reason.

I'd like to see Memphis get a start and of looks like with Young being goosed that Borthwick Johnson will play.

Choo choo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I really don't like the way you are putting people down for disagreeing with you. Especially since it's nearly a tautology the way you are presenting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

U18's got beat 5-1 off Chelsea. Bit grim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Every appointment is a massive risk, not just an international manager.

What a weak rebuttal. A cop out.

The Saints have been very hot and cold this year, no more than ourselves but I fancy us to get a comfortable win for some reason.

I'd like to see Memphis get a start and of looks like with Young being goosed that Borthwick Johnson will play.

Choo choo.

All I know is that a win (even an ugly one) would have me smiling from ear to ear. It's very hard to have much confidence these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Choo choo.

I see first half no score

Then half time rooney screams in the dressing room and scores two in second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I see first half no score

Then half time rooney screams in the dressing room and scores two in second half.

So your saying we should just tune in at 4pm rather than 3? It is a trend this season,woeful first halves and slightly less woeful 2nd halves.

zerks wrote: »
    So your saying we should just tune in at 4pm rather than 3? It is a trend this season,woeful first halves and slightly less woeful 2nd halves.

Yhhh that should be about right. Lvg thinks there is an extra spirit about the team this week so maybe we turn up Earlier.

Match thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98478751#post98478751

Hope it is blinging enough for M!ck this time:p Site still seems to be slow so took an age for it to post.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

You'd imagine as we are 3rd week into the transfer window that this place would be hopping out of it. It's looking a lot like we may do little or no business, if that's the case I'd be thinking the manager is seeing the season out then moving on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

When do we ever do much business in January? Honestly.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The only way Van Gaal should get another season is if we win the league or go close, nicking 4th is not good enough. The thought of having to watch this horrific football every week for another season is depressing

We will try and fail to sign Neymar and Bale, near the end of the window we'll get Louis telling us that clubs don't want to sell or that it's tough, and then next season will play out like this season and last season. Like Groundhog Day

adox wrote: »
    What a weak rebuttal. A cop out.

Cheers for the insightful input. Try harder next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When I think of Southampton at home I think of cracking goals from Phil Neville and Diego Forlan

And Southampton's awful Yellow away jerseys in past

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

U18's got beat 5-1 off Chelsea. Bit grim.

I wonder what happened to our under 18s this season. They weren't this bad last season.

On the other hand the under 21s are doing very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

When I think of Southampton at home I think of cracking goals from Phil Neville and Diego Forlan

Far cry these days..

...as all the saints gear is class now :D

O the footballer who played in the Angolan League was Rivaldo. He played for Kabuscorp in 2012.

We missed it because my buddy thought no of the clubs in his wiki sounded Angolan :confused:

Perfect day accumulator 635/1 Bet Victor

Norwhich
    Stoke
    Crystal Palace
    Man Utd
    West Ham

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

All i can think about playing Southampton home or away is these

4hcv2p.jpg

• Advertisement

All i can think about playing Southampton home or away is these

4hcv2p.jpg

I don't see anything:p:pac:

zerks wrote: »
    I don't see anything:p:pac:

Haha brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Perfect day accumulator 635/1 Bet Victor

Norwhich
    Stoke
    Crystal Palace
    Man Utd
    West Ham

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

If my betting history is anything to go by United will shyt the bed and let you down!

:pac:

If my betting history is anything to go by United will shyt the bed and let you down!

:pac:

Going with the double reverso and not putting on the bet ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Cheers for the insightful input. Try harder next time.

Think it's you that needs to try harder. "Every appointment is a risk" is a nothing argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Scores for today? I'm going United 2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The only way Van Gaal should get another season is if we win the league or go close, nicking 4th is not good enough. The thought of having to watch this horrific football every week for another season is depressing

We will try and fail to sign Neymar and Bale, near the end of the window we'll get Louis telling us that clubs don't want to sell or that it's tough, and then next season will play out like this season and last season. Like Groundhog Day

More than likely.

A claim in an Italian paper that United are offering Neymar £15 million a year, with the claim he is currently on £6.7 million.

Continue to be linked with Renato Sanches, the 18 year old midfielder who is said would cost United at least £30 million plus add ons. Claims are United want him this window as they believe there will be a bidding war for him in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

All i can say is lolololol liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

God somthing came over me, I just have a big grin on my face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I remember reading an argument between United and Liverpool fans on here over who was better, Shaw or Moreno :)
    Seems even more hilarious now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement