Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Am i the only one who would love Pochettino to be the next Utd boss ?. HE plays young players ?. HE got rid of all the deadwood right ?. He made Harry Kane ?. The team plays some fantastic attacking football ?. He's also a young manager at 43 ?. Uses players from the clubs he was at youth academies ?.

I might be crazy but i think he could be the man for Utd.

Nope your not alone I said it before if we can't get pep or jose id have pochitino no problem, I love his attitude and style of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Hello.

Can I go into the LVG out camp our is that train full?

Choo Choo All Aboard

Hello.

Can I go into the LVG out camp our is that train full?

Not at all there is always room for one more.

2duk9v.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Am i the only one who would love Pochettino to be the next Utd boss ?. HE plays young players ?. HE got rid of all the deadwood right ?. He made Harry Kane ?. The team plays some fantastic attacking football ?. He's also a young manager at 43 ?. Uses players from the clubs he was at youth academies ?.

I might be crazy but i think he could be the man for Utd.

I suggEstée it on here a couple of months ago and got ridiculed, I would imagine opinion has changed a small bit since.
    Very impressed with the job he has done at Southampton and Spurs for the reasons you highlighted.
    Obviously he would be behind Pep but I can't see him going anywhere bar City and I'm not sure what board opinion is on Jose.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

For the record.Pocchettino didn't make Harry Kane, the lad has been talked about being a future star since his mid teens.
    Has he done well since coming into the league yes but Im not a great believer in teams playing a full press like his for 38 games and winning a title would be fearful of another rake of players needing to be bought to suit it aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The only thing that raised a smile today....

24E72A8300000578-0-image-a-31_1421839717978.jpg

Can he/she be our new mascot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

The abuse LVG got, was extraordinary. Even lads around me who normally wouldn't say a peep, were screaming at him at half and full time.

I said a couple of months back, things couldn't get any worse-how wrong I was. Today was a new low, without doubt the worst United football I've seen in my life as a fan and that was the universal agreement to those I've spoken to since.

We are in relegation form since November, this run of results has been coming for about a year.

Tom1991 wrote: »
    For the record.Pocchettino didn't make Harry Kane, the lad has been talked about being a future star since his mid teens.
    Has he done well since coming into the league yes but Im not a great believer in teams playing a full press like his for 38 games and winning a title would be fearful of another rake of players needing to be bought to suit it aswell.

Whats wrong with buying rake ofplayers?? Sign em alll I say.

Alot of our players could do high pressing maybe apart from mata and maybe depay I could see others adapting easily but we would need double the squad size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

As much as we want LVG to have a successful end to his career and as much as he wants it, it just isn't going to happen.

The brand of football that he wants is beyond useless in this league and i'm so sick of his excuses of the 'opponent's defensive organisation.'
    It's ironic and hypocritical of him to use that as an excuse and is just embarrassing.

I have been fully behind LVG since day 1 but now after that ****, I seriously believe this spoofer hasn't a clue what he's doing.

Is there any more room on that LVG Out train lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

How has he survived this long, how does the board justify it

He's finished as a manager, he's been out of his depth from the moment he got the job despite the confident facade. I feel like discussing the game today is just repeating everything I've said for almost every game under Van Gaal. One dimensional, risk averse to the point where we are creating nothing consistently, boring stuff every week.

We could have got Mourinho at the end of December and saved this season and with a great chance of getting back to winning ways in the future. Pep is surely going to City, we need to start understanding the reality of that, Jose with a 6 month head start could have given us a big advantage over City.

The most frightening thing is I still believe the plan is Giggs to be next in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Would Barcelona, RM or Bayern accept these results? These are the teams we supposedly compare ourselves against.

People saying are fans booed, did any of you see the reaction RM got when they were stumped 4-0 by Barcelona, they left no one in any doubt what they thought.

That quote for a season ticket holder saying that not turning up was not an option as it would waste money, feck that think of the wasted time. The money is already spent, whether you go to the game is actually irrelevant for a monetary point f view. The fans need to boycott the next home game to show the board that this is not acceptable.

He was brought in not only to deal with the 1st team but apparently he had changed the whole thinking of other clubs so much so that when he left things continued to improve. Well, we have no youth set-up, no scouting network, incoming players are below the required standard. All those who claim Martial, maybe in the future but he is nowhere near the top players in the EPL this year.

How any Man Utd fan can continue to hold on to any level of support for LVG is beyond me. He should have gone after Norwich, defo after Stoke. He has shown nothing in terms of being able to arrest the slump and in fairness this season should have been a free pass into the CL places with Chelsea imploding. Sometimes to really support your team you need to think of the bigger picture and not just the need to clap and cheer.

The worst thing that LVG has done to this club, following on from Moyes, is to allow a culture of mediocrity to settle over the club. We started out the season with hope of a title challenge, not even to win it put to put up a fight. Then we accepted top 3, now we are hoping that other teams fall apart for we can scrape 4th. This is akin to Coke falling behind Dunnes Stores cola in the cola wars. It should be totally unacceptable.

Its not even the results, it the style of play. Slow, boring, passionless, devoid of any spark. If the glazers think that foreign fans are going to continue to join the Utd bandwagon, after having to sit through this turgid mess when they can watch teams like Arsenal, City, Spurs, Leicster, hell even Liverpool appear to try hard they will find out soon enough. But by then it will be too late. The rot will have set in.

No CL means no Pep. Its not the money anymore, the EPL is far more lucrative than the CL, its the prestige. What top player is going to come to us with no CL? We will be left to spend big money on players with ADM who don't actually want to come, players like Bastian who are clearly past it. And unlike 2 years ago we will also have a very agressive Chelsea to fight against for those few that would contemplate non CL.

I simply can't believe anybody is saying that we whould stick with LVG as it would be a risk and could make things worse. Seriously?, worse than this? We are dropping like a stone, we have no cutting edge, a manager stuck in a record from 10 years ago.At this stage it doesn't make much difference to finish 6th or 12th. Get him out. We should not be accepting this level of failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

The worst thing about it is he's going down without a fight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jose-mourinho-to-manchester-united-ex-chelsea-manager-six-page-love-letter-i-can-change-a6829971.html

Miguel Delaney saying Jose has written and submitted a six page "love letter" to United, pledging to behave, as well as outlining a tactical analysis of the club, what he would do and how he would fix things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Jose can save us. Give him the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭thomasj

Lord TSC wrote: »
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jose-mourinho-to-manchester-united-ex-chelsea-manager-six-page-love-letter-i-can-change-a6829971.html

Miguel Delaney saying Jose has written and submitted a six page "love letter" to United, pledging to behave, as well as outlining a tactical analysis of the club, what he would do and how he would fix things.

Reports as well that mendez was in touch with utd after the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

zerks wrote: »

Doesn't the word turgid mean expanded or bloated , not sure how the point being made in relation to football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lord TSC wrote: »

So one of the most egotistical managers in world football has sent us what basically amounts to a begging letter?

Yeah, I'm having a little trouble believing that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

thomasj wrote: »
    Reports as well that mended was in touch with utd after the match

Mendez could be our saviour here. Agent to a top level manager and some top level players. Hope we are batting eyelids.

Ogden retweeting Delaney, helping spread the story now...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United once upon a time were good to watch, you would look forward to it and that was whether they were winning losing or drawing, they were good to watch.
    Now I still want to watch United play, but the play is really awful, and the longer it goes on, the harder it is to accept it and when I think of the future of the club which are new fans, why would anyone picking a team choose United at the moment?
    I think Van Gaal is damaging the club, and needs to go now, and not wait.

I don't care if we get a temporary manager once the play is improved. I don't know what is happening with Pep Guardiola, if he is available for United then he should be number 1, if not then Jose Mourinho.

I did not like the fan who was making a wanker hand gesture towards Van Gaal, I don't think LVG likes what he sees either, but the problem is he has been unable to change it.
    It is the inability to change this poor play that means LVG has to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

thomasj wrote: »
    Reports as well that mended was in touch with utd after the match

Please God Jose will not get the gig, just couldn't bear his brand of football after the current sh. .t we are putting up with. Can't believe any United fan would seriously want him as manager..... mind boggling really.... we are complaining about boring football and his name is being mentioned. ... On a brighter note FC United knocked in 6 today...:)

secman wrote: »
    Please God Jose will not get the gig, just couldn't bear his brand of football after the current sh. .t we are putting up with. Can't believe any United fan would seriously want him as manager..... mind boggling really.... we are complaining about boring football and his name is being mentioned. ... On a brighter note FC United knocked in 6 today...:)

sigh..

I get really tired of this same old rhetoric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

If there was ever proof that Miguel Delaney is a complete shi*tehawk then this is it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Lots of managers could improve United from this dirt.

Not many could get them to the levels of Barca or Bayern.

But that cannot be the focus now. The the three seasons since SAF left things have regressed and an opportunity to build on his work to try and catch those sides is gone.

Now United need to focus on winning again and pushing for the league again. Worry about the rest later.

New manager, a couple of attackers and push on for rest if the season is what was needed after Stoke. But they wouldn't change it, i don't think they will change it now either.

Why? Anything is better than what is currently on show.

In that letter btw he is reported to have said he is willing to push for more attacking football in line with the principles of the club. I'd say go for it!

Headshot wrote: »
    sigh..

I get really tired of this same old rhetoric.

It would be a very divisive appointment and the board obviously know this... they have had 2 opportunities to a appoint him to date ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yes, Mourinho faxed the club a 6 page love letter......in other news

flyingpigs_764478c.jpg

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I'd get rid of LVG at this stage.

Give it to Giggs on an interim basis, but look for somebody else.

Bad performances can happen, but it's the norm now and LVG seems unable to change.

It would be a very divisive appointment and the board obviously know this... they have had 2 opportunities to a appoint him to date ....

Tbh the board dont have a leg to stand one since Fergie left. They really have ****ed things up alot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Please God Jose will get the gig, defo could bear his brand of football after the current sh. .t we are putting up with. Can't believe any United fan wouldn't seriously want him as manager..... mind boggling really.... we are complaining about boring football and his name is rightly being mentioned. ...

tumblr_m37go7mT0Z1r9rjs4.gif

astradave wrote: »
    Please God Jose will get the gig, defo could bear his brand of football after the current sh. .t we are putting up with. Can't believe any United fan wouldn't seriously want him as manager..... mind boggling really.... we are complaining about boring football and his name is rightly being mentioned. ...

tumblr_m37go7mT0Z1r9rjs4.gif

Exactly. my point .. divisive. ... what about FC United knocking in 6 today. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Exactly. my point .. divisive. ... what about FC United knocking in 6 today. :)

Maybe try the FC United thread for discussion on them.

Yeah but their two alternatives have been complete disasters.

Board needs to step back and consider would it be in the clubs best interests to give mourinho a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Looking at Klopps reactions today illustrates what we are sorely missing at the top, a manager that's invested in the team and actually looks like he gives a shyt about results. I like LVG, I really do but from the get go he has sat on his hands, game after game, barely raising an eyebrow. Remember Fergie leaping out of his chair on so many occasions when we got a late winner, or him remonstrating with officials where as LVG has just acted like Helen Keller.

We need that level of desire back at the helm, whether its Jose, Pep or AN Other, its the lifeblood of a successful team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How has he survived this long, how does the board justify it

They can't see it. The performance issues that lead to results like todays have been there since day one, the problems with LVG and his play have been there since early last year but far too many people couldn't see the wood for the trees. Instead of recognising that what we could see on the field was very worrying a lot of people just wanted to shout "choo choo" and aim for blind positivity, and clearly that mindset is reflected within the club itself.

These recent matches have been irrelevant, win, lose or draw. The problems in that team have been there for 18 months and the recent results are just the chickens coming home to roost, and no surprise to some.

Van Gaal should be gone long ago, the big concern is not only that the club can't see it, but that when they do eventually cop on the same mindset that allowed them to let this situation fester will allow them to make further damaging mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

This gave me a laugh anyway!

Screenshot_2016-01-23-22-52-00_zpswnkucwjz.png?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

From a season ticket holder and it echos the views of many,many more.

[As a season ticket holder, I can vouch that the Old Trafford fans have been extremely patient and supportive of the players. However, enough is enough and the message has to be put across that the sterile dross we are paying good money for each week has to stop. My seat is in East stand upper, the end to which United always play in the first half, No goals to celebrate in the first half for 11 matches now, in fact very few shots even. There are 55,000 season ticket holders, who have paid for the season. It's not like they can stay away without wasting money, like they would have done in the old days, when you paid at the turnstile, as a protest.]

:confused:
    Eh, presumably 50% of the time the opposition win the toss and on ~50% of those occasions they choose to attack that end. Or is there some unwritten rule/agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Eh, presumably 50% of the time the opposition win the toss and on ~50% of those occasions they choose to attack that end. Or is there some unwritten rule/agreement?

Very rarely does this happen. Its only happened once of around 25 times I have been in the ground. Can't say I recall it happening more than 3 or 4 times in my memory of the last 7 or 8 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Looking forward to next week's defiant press conference from LVG. Yet again we'll be treated to LVG arrogantly proclaiming his intention to continue and at the same time agree with the criticism of his side whilst being singularly responsible for it in what is fast becoming his trademark sado masochistic style... "I have been a bad manager, I agree, perhaps you shall spank me".

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

That Blind shot was our only shot on target? Christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The worst thing about it is he's going down without a fight.

Yeah its so obscure. This is not the Van Gaal I expected, and throughout his reign he hasn't shown the defiant, broody nature that I would have expected.

He has done so with the media, or his stubbornness with formations, but I expected his arrival to signal the end of under performing players, or they'd know where the door is.

Barely has anyone playing near to their capacity, besides Smalling

• Advertisement

Pete Molyneux ‏@PeteMolyneux 42m42 minutes ago
    Finally lost patience with Van Gaal today. Worst #MUFC display I've seen in 60 years. Worse than relegation, Sexton & Fergie 89. Vaarwel LVG

speaking to a few of the older generation over the last few hours on the way home, this seems to be a common opinion though more so 30-40 years as opposed to 60 years which i think is a bit much.

people were walking out long before Southampton scored, there were boos in the first half and the booing at half and full time was incredible. Moyes was clapped off every week, LVG has taken this to a different level now, there is sheer hatred in a sizeable chunk of our match going fan base for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Sheer hatred? Jesus. There's obviously a sizeable chunk of the fanbase who are in need of a sense of perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Jaysus Koeman and Austin's interviews would you ever ... Off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Manchester United knew FOUR months ago they would not make Pep Guardiola their new boss this summer, writes Steve Bates in the Sunday People.

Old Trafford negotiator Ed Woodward was told in September that a gentleman’s agreement for Guardiola to join rivals Manchester City was believed to have been struck.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-knew-pep-guardiola-7235366

No secret so who do the club have lined up? All this talk of long term reigns at the club is a thing of the past.I'd take somebody who'd stay for 3 or 4 seasons and brings success if the policy is to replace them with somebody of equal quality who will continue that success.

Sheer hatred? Jesus. There's obviously a sizeable chunk of the fanbase who are in need of a sense of perspective.

can you explain what you mean by a sense of perspective please? fans who are paying good money to watch the worst football the club has seen in decades are entitled to feel how they want towards the manager, as are you. if you want to support him then fine, but theres alot of people who now dont and they despise him for what is happening to the club - we are unrecognisable for the last 3 months and people have had enough.

there was lads on the plane home tonight that said they are refusing to go to the ground again until he is sacked (something a few posters on here said needed to be done a few weeks back), though this is something i dont agree with as the team needs out support.

honestly, i was shocked at the level of abuse he received at half time and full time,

can you explain what you mean by a sense of perspective please? fans who are paying good money to watch the worst football the club has seen in decades are entitled to feel how they want towards the manager, as are you. if you want to support him then fine, but theres alot of people who now dont and they despise him for what is happening to the club - we are unrecognisable for the last 3 months and people have had enough.

there was lads on the plane home tonight that said they are refusing to go to the ground again until he is sacked (something a few posters on here said needed to be done a few weeks back), though this is something i dont agree with as the team needs out support.

I reckon and it was said by season ticket holders that if they hadn't forked out so much on them they would not bother going.These are fans that have gone to OT for years.
    Today was the first time I saw so much dissent and anger amongst fans in the stands.Even during Moyes reign,the fans roared their lungs out in support and defiance,now the worm has turned and patience is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-knew-pep-guardiola-7235366

No secret so who do the club have lined up? All this talk of long term reigns at the club is a thing of the past.I'd take somebody who'd stay for 3 or 4 seasons and brings success if the policy is to replace them with somebody of equal quality who will continue that success.

Completely agree. It's like the board are looking for a manager who will hang around for years like Fergie and bring success. It's very unlikely going to happen.

My only issue with Mourinho is that he may bring instant success, but he could leave the club in a worse situation than when he found it which is what seems to happen a lot with his previous clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

honestly, i was shocked at the level of abuse he received at half time and full time,

I'm not saying I support him. I'm saying that I think it's very odd if the middle part of this Venn diagram exists for someone:

venn.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement