Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

All the red tops and a few more sources going with James Rodriguez to United.LVG will have him playing fullback to make up for Ashley Young and Darmian being injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

can you explain what you mean by a sense of perspective please? fans who are paying good money to watch the worst football the club has seen in decades are entitled to feel how they want towards the manager, as are you. if you want to support him then fine, but theres alot of people who now dont and they despise him for what is happening to the club - we are unrecognisable for the last 3 months and people have had enough.

there was lads on the plane home tonight that said they are refusing to go to the ground again until he is sacked (something a few posters on here said needed to be done a few weeks back), though this is something i dont agree with as the team needs out support.

honestly, i was shocked at the level of abuse he received at half time and full time,
    The Old Trafford crowd have a funny way of showing it. Fellaini sarcastically cheered again when he was subbed. For what? Trying? Every pass backwards is booed, every overhit pass is booed, every miscontrol is met with groans, every loss of possession is booed.

They pay a lot of money to go and are entitled to cheer or boo or chant whatever they want, that's fair, but personally I think they're a poisonous bunch.

There's no way LvG survives beyond this season right? He's poison at this stage, this is the worst season Utd have ever had in the EPL in terms of points at this stage. Worse than Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I think it's fair to say we can skip first half's at old Trafford. The perfect protest would be to not show up til second half.

Don't miss any football or goals and send out a strong message. Win win situation, except the match which will be still 0-0 by that stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

In my very humble opinion, Jose would not be good.

At best it just kicks the current problem down the road for 2 years and maybe gives a trophy too.

He wouldn't build a team for the future though and his recent record as regards buying players isn't great.

After Moyes, it seemed that Man Utd fans felt that the club was so big that only a big big manager would do. LVG was hired because he was the biggest name.

Now we have the situation where the shortlist seemed to be Ancelotti, Pep, Jose.

Koeman or Pochettino is what Utd need to be doing. Get someone in and let them build.

I think Moyes was wrong but the idea was right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

zerks wrote: »

This kind of statistic says it all really.

Inexcusable.

beno619 wrote: »
    This kind of statistic says it all really.

Inexcusable.

Utd also haven't scored in the first half at OT for the past 11 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Miguel Delaney is a spoofer and good that he got what he deserved.

Making up cringy story and ended up with curry on his face within few mins.

Miguel Delaney is a spoofer and good that he got what he deserved.

Making up cringy story and ended up with curry on his face within few mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

TheDoc wrote: »
    Yeah its so obscure. This is not the Van Gaal I expected, and throughout his reign he hasn't shown the defiant, broody nature that I would have expected.

He has done so with the media, or his stubbornness with formations, but I expected his arrival to signal the end of under performing players, or they'd know where the door is.

Barely has anyone playing near to their capacity, besides Smalling

Still blaming the players.

Will the next manager need to clear the deadwood as well so ?

When the manager consistently fails to extract any semblance of a performance from his team the buck falls with him.

Leicester, West Ham, Tottenham all have managers getting performances out of their players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

If LVG isnt gone by the end of today then he isnt going to go any time soon.

Shame really that the board dont have to balls to make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    If LVG isnt gone by the end of today then he isnt going to go any time soon.

Shame really that the board dont have to balls to make a decision.

Don't know of any manager being sacked the day after a bad result. Usually there's a few days of 'reflection' or at least the appearance of same before the decision is finalised to sack the manager, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's midweek.

Not sure they would risk having a new boss oversee the team being dumped out of the FA Cup by Derby in their first game though!

I expect LVG to hang on a few more games and Giggs to take charge for the last few matches of the season again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

It's probably like the Moyes situation, he was gone within hours of not being able to hit his contract obligational payoffs. Sick it comes down to a few million when fourth place is still achievable but that's the United way now, all about the bottom line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Re Jose, why are people so sure that he would only be a short term (2 to 3 years) appointment?

I think if he got the United job he would want to stay for the long haul as in 5+ years. Its clear he idolises Fergie so is it not logical to think that one would try and emulate ones idols?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

It's probably like the Moyes situation, he was gone within hours of not being able to hit his contract obligational payoffs. Sick it comes down to a few million when fourth place is still achievable but that's the United way now, all about the bottom line

Can't see that being the case this time.
    Moyes had a 4 years on his contract left, lvg has 1.5. Will cost what, 5-6 million to sack him now. Missing out on champions league is 40-50 million plus erosion of the fan Base.
    I've no doubt the board is only interested in the bottom line but they will know the impact of missing out again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

David Gill was on 5live this morning. He was scheduled to come today before yesterday's loss.

He said that United have been underachieving given level of investment.

Level of competitiveness of PL may be the problem for LVG.

There are two boards at United, the one with himself, Ferguson, Charlton etc. just talk about football and will be approached on an individual basis by members of the main board if they want their input. Other than that, they are not involved in the key decisions at all.

He was openly evasive on his opinion on LVG's future. He said he just can't be commenting on it as he's not a spokesman for the club. He said it's up to Woodward and other members of the main board to discuss these matters.

He went to the cinema last night instead of watching motd.

He said that Ferguson often said that being a very good assistant is very different to being a very good manager and you need to demonstrate the qualities of a manager to get the job. (This was in relation to a question on Giggs) The presenter tried to push him on this and said 'you need to do 4 or 5 years of an apprentice to be considered, right?' to which Gill replied 'yes but that apprentice can take many forms'. So he didn't totally rule out Giggs for the job in the near future but my impression from it was that he thought it was unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Re Jose, why are people so sure that he would only be a short term (2 to 3 years) appointment?

I think if he got the United job he would want to stay for the long haul as in 5+ years. Its clear he idolises Fergie so is it not logical to think that one would try and emulate ones idols?

Probably based on his history in mangement, he never lasts more than 3 seasons at any club. It would be some circus if he walked out at Stamford Bridge in 2 weeks though as the Man Utd manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

zerks wrote: »
    I reckon and it was said by season ticket holders that if they hadn't forked out so much on them they would not bother going.These are fans that have gone to OT for years.
    Today was the first time I saw so much dissent and anger amongst fans in the stands.Even during Moyes reign,the fans roared their lungs out in support and defiance,now the worm has turned and patience is gone.

The phrase "once bitten, twice shy" comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

J. Marston wrote: »
    The Old Trafford crowd have a funny way of showing it. Fellaini sarcastically cheered again when he was subbed. For what? Trying? Every pass backwards is booed, every overhit pass is booed, every miscontrol is met with groans, every loss of possession is booed.

They pay a lot of money to go and are entitled to cheer or boo or chant whatever they want, that's fair, but personally I think they're a poisonous bunch.

Yes you are correct, yesterday went too far in my opinion and I wasn't one of the fans booing during the game, it achieves nothing .

It is clear however, that it's 100% directed at LVG. It's no coincidence that the booing stopped the very second LVG disappeared Down the tunnel at full time and the remaining players were given a very good reception clapped off. That shows them a message that the players have the support but manager doesn't which is a bad message to give considering how Shi*e the players themselves are playing.

There is no way back for LVG for this surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

LVG may well walk himself at this point

A man his age doesn't need to prolong this anymore

Doubt he believes himself he can turn things around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

paulbok wrote: »
    Can't see that being the case this time.
    Moyes had a 4 years on his contract left, lvg has 1.5. Will cost what, 5-6 million to sack him now. Missing out on champions league is 40-50 million plus erosion of the fan Base.
    I've no doubt the board is only interested in the bottom line but they will know the impact of missing out again

Although I still think this it doesn't stop me checking sky sports app every few mins in hope the yellow banner mentions LVG gone. I live in hope, I don't mind losing, it's a sport. But to lose with no fight or ideas is just pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The fans are a poisonous bunch? That's very OTT. They've supported that shíte for months now and have seen zero improvement, a lot of money spent, pointless and bizarre post match interviews\conferences and boring, pricey, slow, frustrating football.

They sang Louis van gals red army when we were shít. Loius himself reminded you of that himself. Now we've gone several levels below shít...to call the fans poisonous for voicing that is not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

I'm sure Chelsea fans thought the same

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

I'm sure Chelsea fans thought the same

outside of the couple of dodgy seasons from 87-90 under Fergie (with an excellent 87-88 season sandwiched in there), the last time we had less points than we do now after 23 games, was December 17th 1980.

It was 2 points for a win back then and we were still 4th and only 5 points off top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I think I want Pochettino. Yes he hasn't yet proven he can win trophies but he is a gamble worth taking

I was always a huge Mourinho fan but this season has really put me off. He really made a complete laughing stock of Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭thomasj

Blatter wrote:
    There are two boards at United, the one with himself, Ferguson, Charlton etc. just talk about football and will be approached on an individual basis by members of the main board if they want their input. Other than that, they are not involved in the key decisions at all.

Yep heard that, so that the main board is the NYSE board led by Woodward, and that the ambassadorial board with Ferguson and Charlton etc are available for consultation. Kind of explains why these announcements are being made around the opening bell time of the NYSE (usually around 2:30pm )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Full match replay on Setanta now, just gone HT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭thomasj

I couldn't watch that again!

• Advertisement

Dont put yourself through that. Turn it off.

What I gathered from last 2 and half years is ManUtd fans have memory worst than a dead person. Many think it was all rosy when Gill was in charge, people forgot so many frustrating decisions they (Him and Fergie) took and was only saved by Fergie's greatness.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    What I gathered from last 2 and half years is ManUtd fans have memory worst than a dead person. Many think it was all rosy when Gill was in charge, people forgot so many frustrating decisions they (Him and Fergie) took and was only saved by Fergie's greatness.

eh? who said everything was rosy back then?

were things perfect? no they certainly were not. but at least back then we were Manchester United the football club, a team that was hated/admired all over the world. we played the right football, we had the right ambition.

since Woodward has come on board we are no longer all about Manchester United FC, we are Manchester United the company, the brand, the money generator for the glazers. we play s*it football, people dont hate or admire us anymore, the laugh at us and pity us.

our ambition now is to have as many companys giving us as much money as possible.

to say people have short memories is bizzare considering where we are now. the club is unrecognisable in this current state, its more like Man City of old than Man United and they are the ones playing the nice football with a good structure building in the backround, they are the ones with the ambition and it absolutely kills me to admit that, no matter how much i want to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Talking about Utd on MOTD extra on BBC2 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The notion that we have only become a company valuing money more then success on the field over the last 3 years, since Fergie retired, is bizarre. We have been Manchester United the brand a hell of a long time, the floating on the stock exchange was a long time ago now.

Being a huge brand is not a bad thing, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having incredible commercial success, in fact it is hugely beneficial as the club is always able to make its own money and not rely on the new wave of sugar daddy owners. I think the majority of United fans would prefer the club is self sustainable instead of relying on injections, be it directly, or indirectly through dodgy "sponsorship's" or someone buying your training ground from you for ridiculous money and leasing it back to you for a nominal fee.

The commercial success has nothing to do with the **** football on the field, it does not hamper then football side in any demonstrable way. Van Gaal is failing to get the team playing to its potential, the sheer volume of investment in the playing squad the last couple of years should be seeing more payoff but it isn't. That is down to the management ultimately, it is not a bad thing the club makes more money, so can spend more money to keep up with the biggest clubs in the game which is sorely needed, and not just through first team player recruitment as we have fallen behind in a big way due to poor future planning which has clearly been going on for a long time.

It will not be a simple fix, but it is certainly easier to fix when you have huge commercial deals and money to invest.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If Giggs is appointed we are just handing City the opportunity to pull clear as the biggest club in Manchester, if the apparent gap in the youth systems wasn't worrying enough. Honestly if he gets the job I think it could be close to a decade before we win another league title, knowing our luck Pep will continue to pick up trophies for the 4 or so years he stays and it's difficult to see where a challenge will come from out of Arsenal, Chelsea Spurs and Pool

If the club are penny pinching and waiting until it's impossible to get 4th before sacking Van Gaal and putting Giggs in for the rest of this season and next then it's just negligence. This league is still very much any teams to win if we had a competent manager I wouldn't write us off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Doesn't add up that they would be penny pinching, it's not like he has a long contract, the payoff would certainly not be a worry for the club in fairness. I can see him walking soon, realistically I think if there was an option the club thought they could get in right now he would be gone.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

eh? who said everything was rosy back then?

were things perfect? no they certainly were not. but at least back then we were Manchester United the football club, a team that was hated/admired all over the world. we played the right football, we had the right ambition.

since Woodward has come on board we are no longer all about Manchester United FC, we are Manchester United the company, the brand, the money generator for the glazers. we play s*it football, people dont hate or admire us anymore, the laugh at us and pity us.

our ambition now is to have as many companys giving us as much money as possible.

to say people have short memories is bizzare considering where we are now. the club is unrecognisable in this current state, its more like Man City of old than Man United and they are the ones playing the nice football with a good structure building in the backround, they are the ones with the ambition and it absolutely kills me to admit that, no matter how much i want to ignore it.

Blaming Woodward for everything and praising Gill as if he was transfer guru gives the impression that people have short term memories.

Woodward is not responsible for **** football likewise Gill was not responsible for exciting and attacking football we played. Their roles are not on the pitch, its up to manager.

Gill had Fergie, Woodward doesn't .

Also saying our ambition is to make as much money as possible or brand is wrong considering how much money has been spent to back the manager.

Gill was all talk and didn't spend, Woodward at least shows the money and spends it. Only problem is we have very average manager (that's Woodward's mistake for letting him to continue for so long).

The notion that we have only become a company valuing money more then success on the field over the last 3 years, since Fergie retired, is bizarre. We have been Manchester United the brand a hell of a long time, the floating on the stock exchange was a long time ago now.

Exactly. People moan about everything (not aimed at anyone, just casual point). People moan when we sign commercial deal which is surprising as those deals gives us money to sign better players.

Like you said, ManUtd was always a brand but people blame anyone, everyone and everything when going gets tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

This league is still very much any teams to win if we had a competent manager I wouldn't write us off.

Fact, 10 points of Leicester in top spot. The way this season has been if any team in the top 6/7 got their sh1t together they could take the title. If LVG left now and was replaced by the right man who's to say United couldn't be that team.

Remaining fixtures:
    Stoke
    Chelsea
    Sunderland
    Arsenal
    Watford
    West Brom
    Palace
    Citeh
    Everton
    Spurs
    Villa

BTW Giggs is NOT that man :D

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Exactly. People moan about everything (not aimed at anyone, just casual point). People moan when we sign commercial deal which is surprising as those deals gives us money to sign better players.

Like you said, ManUtd was always a brand but people blame anyone, everyone and everything when going gets tough.

you've completely missed the points and like a couple of others refuse to look at the bigger picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Van Gaal has failed to turn things around. He got a lot of money invested in his team.

United are not being stingy with the money, they did bid a reported €120 million for a player that LVG wanted - Thomas Muller. One can argue it was bidding for an unrealistic target, but United are prepared to invest in players.

Van Gaal has failed to make the team work, it is not the fault of Woodward or the Glazers. It is is fault of the manager and his management team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Fact, 10 points of Leicester in top spot. The way this season has been if any team in the top 6/7 got their sh1t together they could take the title. If LVG left now and was replaced by the right man who's to say United couldn't be that team.

Remaining fixtures:
    Stoke
    Chelsea
    Sunderland
    Arsenal
    Watford
    West Brom
    Palace
    Citeh
    Everton
    Spurs
    Villa

BTW Giggs is NOT that man :D

I don't understand why some people on here are so certain that Giggs would be a failure if he was to take over as interim manager. What is this opinion based on exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I think Woodward knows the next appointment will be absolutely critical. Maybe the club don't want to sound out other managers in case it unsettles the team and LVG. Although, we couldn't get any worse at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I don't understand why some people on here are so certain that Giggs would be a failure if he was to take over as interim manager. What is this opinion based on exactly?

its based on nothing as in Giggs has done absolutely ****ing nothing to be given the job.

taxi for Louis?

CZfUPy7WYAA-pIe.jpg

he is off somewhere, i would assume its to watch a couple of players somewhere tonight perhaps?

its manchester airport T3 for those who aint familiar with it - pics taken about 2 hours ago.

CZfUPxfW0AASJCA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

yabadabado wrote: »
    its based on nothing as in Giggs has done absolutely ****ing nothing to be given the job.

So it's automatically assumed that Giggs would be a complete disaster as interim manager based on "nothing"?

What he has or hasn't done to deserve getting the job doesn't really indicate how good he'd be if he was given it.

Did the article say where he was going?

Any matches of note on tonight? Benfica?

On another note, i think Giggs should be given a crack at the u18s while still remaining as assistant. Couldn't do him or the u18s any harm

Did the article say where he was going?

Any matches of note on tonight? Benfica?

On another note, i think Giggs should be given a crack at the u18s while still remaining as assistant. Couldn't do him or the u18s any harm

taxi for Louis?

its manchester airport T3 for those who aint familiar with it - pics taken about 2 hours ago.

Saw Tom McDermott tweeting those, are you sure those were taken 2 hours ago? Because we always see how twitter makes up these stories by taking old pics.

Hopefully it will be announced sooner than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

taxi for Louis?

he is off somewhere, i would assume its to watch a couple of players somewhere tonight perhaps?

Could be off to Seville to watch Betis and Real Madrid to see James Rodriguez ?

Utd should steer well clear of James, he is grossly overrated ,has a bad attitude and would rot in the current Utd team.

Hopefully Woodward doesn't try to buy his way out of trouble and let Madrid put him over a barrel like they did with Di Maria.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement