Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Saw Tom McDermott tweeting those, are you sure those were taken 2 hours ago? Because we always see how twitter makes up these stories by taking old pics.

Hopefully it will be announced sooner than later.

Well for me, it doesnt mean he is sacked at all. if the pics are legit(which i believe the are) then its -

a - personal issue and a quick trip back home to the netherlands.
    b - our flux of defensive injuries this week means he knows he needs a signing in asap and has taken it personally to go and watch some players tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Utd should steer well clear of James, he is grossly overrated.

I would have the same opinion on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

So it's automatically assumed that Giggs would be a complete disaster as interim manager based on "nothing"?

What he has or hasn't done to deserve getting the job doesn't really indicate how good he'd be if he was given it.

Giggs seems to be in the running for the job for no other reason than he has been around the club for years.He has no experience of managing a team and has been involved as assistant manager with 2 managers who have been a total failure.

Why take the risk on a totally unproven appointment?

There are dozens of managers who I would want to see appointed before Giggs.He should get out of United for a while and at least show at some level he can be a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

yabadabado wrote: »
    Giggs seems to be in the running for the job for no other reason than he has been around the club for years.He has no experience of managing a team and has been involved as assistant manager with 2 managers who have been a total failure.

Why take the risk on a totally unproven appointment?

There are dozens of managers who I would want to see appointed before Giggs.He should get out of United for a while and at least show at some level he can be a manager.

Because we've been in relegation form for about 2 months now and hardly look capable of scoring a goal let alone winning a match. I'm talking about having Giggs in as an interim manager - not a permanent one.

It's somewhat contradictory to suggest that because Giggs was an assistant to 2 failed managers that he should go and prove himself by managing elsewhere. Should he take over a side like Everton and turn them from relegation candidates to top 4 challengers on a shoestring budget over the course of a decade? Perhaps he should win a European cup with Ajax and a few titles in Germany and Spain first to prove he won't be a disaster at United?

I would imagine Moyes and LVG had/has the final call on tactics, lineups, etc. so it's a bit unfair to hold Giggs accountable for their failures.

The fact that he has worked so closely with a successful manager for decades in SAF and then experienced first hand the failures of Moyes and LVG would surely have given him an insight into what are the right and wrong things to do in football management if he was in control. When he was actually manager of United his record was W2 D1 L1. A small sample size, but a 50% win rate - Ferguson's win rate throughout his United career was 60%. I would imagine that Giggs would be far more willing to let the players play with freedom and attack like the United of old, which can only be a good thing.

If anything, I think there's enough evidence to suggest that Giggs would be a very decent solution between now and May rather than a disaster. It would also provide a good opportunity to see if he is worth keeping on in the coaching setup in the future when a new manager is installed.

before Christmas, a few lads went daft at the notion that this current season is worse than 2013/2014 under Moyes.

is this something that is universally accepted now or do some still believe that Moyes season was worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just on Delaney.

Now I dont know if it's true or not, but it would not be uncommon for a manager to outline his reasons to manage a Club.

He did same with Liverpool in 2004, it's a more common practice then some say.

Now I'm NOT in any way suggesting this is true, in this case, but the media have twisted it also to make it look like Valentines letter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Does anyone have any proff that Giggs is in the running for the job ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

beno619 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any proff that Giggs is in the running for the job ?

Direct quotes from LvG:

Referring to Giggs, who was sitting beside van Gaal, he said: "I have not bought Martial for me, I have bought him for the next manager of Manchester United."

He added: "I feel I am introducing the next manager of Manchester United."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/louis-van-gaal-ryan-giggs-6416418

https://twitter.com/pnefc/status/690957412371677185

In other news, James Wilson scored yesterday.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/pnefc/status/690957412371677185

In other news, James Wilson scored yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Giggs is riding the train, why get off? He knows there's a great chance of him being given the job if he sticks around, if he goes elsewhere there's a good chance he'll fail imo so will never be considered for the united job. I'm too lazy to look it up but there must be thousands of ex players who have been around a club years, given the managers job and then failed. Pep is one in thousands if not greater, it's not an example to work off and Pep even did well with the younger team before he got the main one. Why not give Phelan the job? He must be at least as qualified as Giggs

Mass fan protest is needed if Giggs is given the job, it's unacceptable, though it may not have much effect. At the very least it should send some vibrations to sponsors and make the business heads worry a little, like Adidas commenting on the playing style.

at this stage Mourinho must be off the cards, Pep is likely gone to City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Giggs is riding the train, why get off? He knows there's a great chance of him being given the job if he sticks around, if he goes elsewhere there's a good chance he'll fail imo so will never be considered for the united job. I'm too lazy to look it up but there must be thousands of ex players who have been around a club years, given the managers job and then failed. Pep is one in thousands if not greater, it's not an example to work off and Pep even did well with the younger team before he got the main one. Why not give Phelan the job? He must be at least as qualified as Giggs

Mass fan protest is needed if Giggs is given the job, it's unacceptable, though it may not have much effect. At the very least it should send some vibrations to sponsors and make the business heads worry a little, like Adidas commenting on the playing style.

at this stage Mourinho must be off the cards, Pep is likely gone to City.

Why would fans protest at giggs getting the job? We may not think it's a good idea but I for one would be backing him a 100 percent and would love it if he succeeded but its the same as the chilie boss it would be a massive risk.

I think the idea was that lvg come. In and rebuild the squad and win the league and leave giggs take Over a winning team but as it stands now the next manager is going through have the pull a squad and club together and possibly has an even bigger job to do then lvg had at start.

We might Have better quality of players but its clear that the squad is still about 5 or 6 players short of been a quality squad and having debth to fight for an entire season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If Giggs got the job would I support him?

Absolutely 100% until proven he is not capable of it.

Do I want him to be handed the reins of the biggest club in the world, the club that defined the premiership era and that made the premiership the global juggernaut it is today?

I do in my hole.

If he has aspersions of managing the team, as well he should, then let him go off to a lower level team and prove he is capable of the day today running of a club first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Discodog wrote: »
    Direct quotes from LvG:

Referring to Giggs, who was sitting beside van Gaal, he said: "I have not bought Martial for me, I have bought him for the next manager of Manchester United."

He added: "I feel I am introducing the next manager of Manchester United."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/louis-van-gaal-ryan-giggs-6416418

lol, LVG also said Fellaini was his forward for the season.

Memphis is a 10.

Blind is a CB.

LVG talks a load of bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The hardest thing to take is that if we had to of changed manager a few weeks ago and had of picked up a few extra points we would if been right in the thick of it.

City dropped points and arsenal look as if they will too maybe but we fuking lost to a team with five defenders and didn't put up an ounce of fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

before Christmas, a few lads went daft at the notion that this current season is worse than 2013/2014 under Moyes.

is this something that is universally accepted now or do some still believe that Moyes season was worse?

Moyes season was worse.

If we finish this season not in the CL, we can make comparisons.

I think it's completely daft making that call now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

since Woodward has come on board we are no longer all about Manchester United FC, we are Manchester United the company, the brand, the money generator for the glazers.

Average net spend under Fergie since the Glazer's took over was around £13m. Average since Woodward took over is £66m. Only this Summer we saw the club shorten its pre-season tour because Van Gaal complained it negatively impacted on the players. Simply put, you're wrong. The club is investing money, it's simply being wasted by Van Gaal.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Moyes season was worse.

based off?

at this stage of the season, Moyes had -
    3 points more.
    10 goals more scored.
    better football quality.
    topped our CL group.
    semi final of the League cup (a horrible injury time DDG mistake away from the final)

the only thing LVG has in his favour, is that in the "big 6" games, his record is excellent. against the rest of the league however, its absolutely appaling.

LVG has also spent about £250m and didnt have the Fergie factor hanging over him as much as Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

seen on redcafe earlier, its our 2nd worst goal scoring season after 23 games (by 1 goal) since we were relegated in 1974.

wow.

Even we (Liverpool) have passed you by in goals scored so far this season.

It's very very strange watching United playing like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

emmetkenny wrote: »

You watch. Arsenal - Chelsea today and you can only wish that Utd would play with the the pace that they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

At this stage under Moyes.

12pts off top
    6pts off 4th
    6 more goals conceded

Took over a squad that had won the league the season before yet looked like it had never played together most weeks
    Brand of football was dire.

Based off that enough or you wanna go again next week?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

we have 9 goals scored in our last 10 games - only villa (8) and swansea (8) have less.

Strange, depressing and very frustrating.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Its hard to say it but I hope LVG is gone by tomorrow evening - club is in major decline, the rot needs to stop and stop now!

Any other top club in Europe would have acted by now, there is no such thing as the "United way" anymore... act now or face the wilderness outside Europe's top table yet again next season!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

irishfeen wrote: »
    Its hard to say it but I hope LVG is gone by tomorrow evening - club is in major decline, the rot needs to stop and stop now!

Any other top club in Europe would have acted by now, there is no such thing as the "United way" anymore... act now or face the wilderness outside Europe's top table yet again next season!

he should have been bounced out the door after the 2-0 loss to Stoke. If he is not sacked this week then id say hes here until the end of the season, unfortunately for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Poor Gary, I dont see him lasting the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think Moyes got a raw deal considering what Van Gaal has done, he may not have been the man to lead us back to glory but I think Moyes could have achieved what Van Gaal has given the time and money

Jamie Carragher said it on sky sports, it's been the same for 18 months, what is Van Gaal waiting for? Things don't magically click after this amount of time. He just doesn't know what to do

Headshot wrote: »
    Poor Gary, I dont see him lasting the season

You can thank me Gary :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

we have 9 goals scored in our last 10 games - only villa (8) and swansea (8) have less.

I think we had 20 goals in the first 21/23 games(can't remember exactly how many games) our lowest in a long long time.

Yesterday we scored 15% of our seasons total goals in one game.

It's been a really mad season to be honest.

I think Moyes got a raw deal considering what Van Gaal has done, he may not have been the man to lead us back to glory but I think Moyes could have achieved what Van Gaal has given the time and money

Jamie Carragher said it on sky sports, it's been the same for 18 months, what is Van Gaal waiting for? Things don't magically click after this amount of time. He just doesn't know what to do

yesterday summed up LVG for me and his reign.

he put a team out, that was completely all over the shop - 5 at the back at home to southampton, Martial out right and Rooney wide left with Herrera advanced thought the middle.

i have a huge dislike of Fellaini, but the general opinion was that he was our bests player in the first half - he took him off.

Lingard should have been off at half time, he played 90 minutes. Depay, who came on in the last 3 games and helped give a huge impact in 2 of them, was left on the bench.

Southampton dominated the last 30 minutes and it was only a matter of time before they scored - what did they do?

they brought on a second striker and went for the win, as they knew it was coming.

meanwhile, we put the worst tackler in the club into the team at left back and within 30 seconds, he had given away the free that led to the goal.

Jackson was having a good game, why not go 4 at the back, take Off Lingard and put Memphis and Adnan in there and have two actual wide men to get at them in the last 20 minutes?

appalling, baffling tactics that an just defy all logic.

• Advertisement

they read this out on BBC earlier - statement from former president of Bayern when LVG was sacked. -
    That brought insecurity into the defence and we could not hold out for much longer.
    Football should be enjoyable, but there has been nothing enjoyable about football at FC Bayern for a while now.
    And to say that he had the players behind him was a myth.
    The Manuel Neuer issue would never have escalated like it did and we would never have had any problems with the fans.
    Problems were created which were totally unnecessary and which have ripped the club to pieces.
    Louis van Gaal should consider what he has done.

the bits in bold have huge similarities to what has happened in the last 18 months at United.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Kai,Klay and now Kit Rooney. Whatever happened to just giving a kid a proper name like Bort. Bloody celebs.

maybe Rooney is part of the KKK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Headshot wrote: »
    maybe Rooney is part of the KKK

Na if he was with the kkk he wouldn't have got the hair transplant, he would have covered it with the mask

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Kai,Klay and now Kit Rooney. Whatever happened to just giving a kid a proper name like Bort. Bloody celebs.

LVG became a grandfather again today also apparently and its the reason he has gone home this afternoon.

Wonder will their be a media frenzy if he is not back in the morning for training?

meanwhile, even Harry Redknapp is having a pop at our transfer policy now, a bit rich coming from him though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/12118343/Manchester-United-are-paying-the-price-for-some-awful-recruitment-they-have-spent-lots-of-money-badly.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

LVG became a grandfather again today also apparently and its the reason he has gone home this afternoon.

wonder will their be a media frenzy if he is not back in the morning for training?

He obviously didn't give the procreation advice, it would be all "Sideways, sideways, back,sideways "

No forward trusts at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

wonder will their be a media frenzy if he is not back in the morning for training?

He obviously didn't give the procreation advice, it would be all "Sideways, sideways, back,sideways "

No forward trusts at all.

Hiring LVG was the best decision we ever made, firing LVG was the second best decision we ever made.

Bayern brass say an awful lot of ****e tbf, some of the most outspoken (often very unhelpful) executives in world football, currently being blamed for running off Guardiola in some sections. You surely don't need other crap to validate a point that you can simply use your own eyes to gauge?

I liked the Van Gaal appointment, I was happy with him getting us back into CL for this season however this season has simply not been good enough. I am able to draw that conclusion all by myself, whats the relevance to what some guy said years ago? Soundbites. They belong in the "Things in football that grind my gears thread"

Hiring LVG was the best decision we ever made, firing LVG was the second best decision we ever made.

Bayern brass say an awful lot of ****e tbf, some of the most outspoken (often very unhelpful) executives in world football, currently being blamed for running off Guardiola in some sections. You surely don't need other crap to validate a point that you can simply use your own eyes to gauge?

I liked the Van Gaal appointment, I was happy with him getting us back into CL for this season however this season has simply not been good enough. I am able to draw that conclusion all by myself, whats the relevance to what some guy said years ago? Soundbites. They belong in the "Things in football that grind my gears thread"

• Advertisement

Cant believe its Sunday evening and no breaking news that he's gone. I have to believe the club are not this incompetent and they are waiting for Pep. Its the only reason I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Wonder will their be a media frenzy if he is not back in the morning for training?

meanwhile, even Harry Redknapp is having a pop at our transfer policy now, a bit rich coming from him though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/12118343/Manchester-United-are-paying-the-price-for-some-awful-recruitment-they-have-spent-lots-of-money-badly.html

It's a pity we can't stick him on paternity leave until the end of the season. I suppose Arry has too still make a living somehow after all taxes don't pay themselves.

Daley Blind bore most of the crowds frustration towards the players yesterday, he was absolutely dire.

just took a quick look at his stats there to see was he really that bad and it appears he was - he lost possession 18 times including 12 long balls that he kicked most out over the sideline.

We gave away possession 53 times yesterday from long passes and had a crossing success of 0%.

in total we gave away possession 133 times yesterday, which must be a record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Daley Blind bore most of the crowds frustration towards the players yesterday, he was absolutely dire.

just took a quick look at his stats there to see was he really that bad and it appears he was - he lost possession 18 times including 12 long balls that he kicked most out over the sideline.

We gave away possession 53 times yesterday from long passes and had a crossing success of 0%.

in total we gave away possession 133 times yesterday, which must be a record.

Him and Depay bought because they were Dutch and were willing to come :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Him and Depay bought because they were Dutch and were willing to come :(

I'm more annoyed that Depay was given the No 7 shirt, looking at the legends who have worn that shirt he's not fit to lace their boots, some may say it would make him rise a bit being given that shirt number but he doesn't give a rats, it means nothing to him

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'm more annoyed that Depay was given the No 7 shirt, looking at the legends who have worn that shirt he's not fit to lace their boots, some may say it would make him rise a bit being given that shirt number but he doesn't give a rats, it means nothing to him

give Depay time, he will come good. he is one of multiple players who have regressed under LVGs management in the last 2 years, so i wont hold that against him.

we will see the best of him, once LVG goes in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

give Depay time, he will come good. he is one of multiple players who have regressed under LVGs management in the last 2 years, so i wont hold that against him.

we will see the best of him, once LVG goes in my opinion.

I feel the same. Martial is another one who I fear will regress more under LVG's management. I reckon he will be an outstanding talent but LVG won't be the one to help him progress.

The balls at the minute is who do you get to replace him? The next appointment is critical at this stage. Pep would be perfect but my head tells me he's going to City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Bret Hart wrote: »
    It's a pity we can't stick him on paternity leave until the end of the season. I suppose Arry has too still make a living somehow after all taxes don't pay themselves.
    I thought the family pooch (Rosie, wasn't it?) looked after all the financial affairs in chez Redknapp?

:confused:
    Eh, presumably 50% of the time the opposition win the toss and on ~50% of those occasions they choose to attack that end. Or is there some unwritten rule/agreement?

just on this part - about 90% - 95%of the time, United attack the stretford end in the second half.

United always line up to the left (ie keeper in the stretford end goal before the kick off). If united win the toss, they will always play as they are, without fail.

if they dont win the coin toss, sometimes the opposition may want to change but its rare - when Tevez was captain of City he always swapped around, Liverpool did it a few times also but apart from that, i dont recall many more games where the opposition makes us switch around and upset the routine.

its very noticeable that other clubs that win the Toss just dont bother switching around and/or, they want to be in front of their own fans too in the second half (away end is in the east lower) so it suits them too.

look at Anfield, its the same - United always end up attacking the section where the away fans are for the second half and Liverpool generally want to attack the KOP end. i can recall maybe 2 games at Anfield in the last 15 years where we ended up attacking Kop in second half (the John O shea winner being 1 example) but normally we are defending it.

another way of looking at it, is look at the most famous Fergie time goals over the last 2 decades -

The Bruce double in 93 - Stretford end.
    Ferdinand against Liverpool - Stretford end.
    Macheda against villa - Stretford end.
    park against wolves - Stretford end.
    Vidic against sunderland - Stretford end.
    Forlan against Chelsea - Stretford end.
    Rooney against City - Stretford end.
    Owen against City - Stretford end.
    Van Persie against Chelsea - Stretford end.

i recall one late goal at the other end (Hernandez against Newcastle) and while i am sure theres more, likewise im sure theres more in the Stretford end.

meanwhile, the majority of damaging goals during the Moyes season for example came late in the second half, into the east stand -

Everton late defeat, Southampton equalier, Swansea FA cup late defeat and Fulham eqqaliser were all late late goals into the East stand along with Newcastle and West Brom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

IIRC 'they' made a request to Norwich(??) when they had the last game in front of the standing kop that if Norwich won the toss they'd let them play towards the kop in the second half, Norwich won and agreed to let them, then beat them :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

just on this part - about 90% - 95%of the time, United attack the stretford end in the second half.

United always line up to the left (ie keeper in the stretford end goal before the kick off). If united win the toss, they will always play as they are, without fail.

if they dont win the coin toss, sometimes the opposition may want to change but its rare - when Tevez was captain of City he always swapped around, Liverpool did it a few times also but apart from that, i dont recall many more games where the opposition makes us switch around and upset the routine.

its very noticeable that other clubs that win the Toss just dont bother switching around and/or, they want to be in front of their own fans too in the second half (away end is in the east lower) so it suits them too.

look at Anfield, its the same - United always end up attacking the section where the away fans are for the second half and Liverpool generally want to attack the KOP end. i can recall maybe 2 games at Anfield in the last 15 years where we ended up attacking Kop in second half (the John O shea winner being 1 example) but normally we are defending it.

another way of looking at it, is look at the most famous Fergie time goals over the last 2 decades -

The Bruce double in 93 - Stretford end.
    Ferdinand against Liverpool - Stretford end.
    Macheda against villa - Stretford end.
    park against wolves - Stretford end.
    Vidic against sunderland - Stretford end.
    Forlan against Chelsea - Stretford end.
    Rooney against City - Stretford end.
    Owen against City - Stretford end.

i recall one late goal at the other end (Hernandez against Newcastle) and while i am sure theres more, likewise im sure theres more in the Stretford end.

meanwhile, the majority of damaging goals during the Moyes season for example came late in the second half, into the east stand -

Everton late defeat, Southampton equalier, Swansea FA cup late defeat and Fulham eqqaliser were all late late goals into the East stand along with Newcastle and West Brom.

City were the only team in the league this season we played and attacked the east end in the second half. Kompany was captain.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement