Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

give Depay time, he will come good. he is one of multiple players who have regressed under LVGs management in the last 2 years, so i wont hold that against him.

we will see the best of him, once LVG goes in my opinion.
    The thing that worries me about Depay is that he has regressed horribly. Many attacking players have stagnated under LVG but most have kept to some sort of consistent minimum standard. Depay obviously has a lot of talent and he actually started off reasonably well but he's looked like a Championship player in the last few months bar a couple of cameos here and there. He also causes the team huge defensive issues on whatever flank he plays on. Definitely a lack of application on his part as well as being hamstrung by LVG's system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Anything to be said for hijacking Liverpool's deal for Teixeira? Midfield goals would be welcome, in fact any goals at all would be welcome

30 million is the new 15 million, looks worth it to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Blatter wrote: »
    The thing that worries me about Depay is that he has regressed horribly. Many attacking players have stagnated under LVG but most have kept to some sort of consistent minimum standard.

i dunno, i think apart from DDG and Smalling, almost every player has regressed considerably under LVG. Memphis is not alone here, at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Anything to be said for hijacking Liverpool's deal for Teixeira? Midfield goals would be welcome, in fact any goals at all would be welcome

We have our quota of midfielders that scored a lot of goals in a crap league tbf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Re Jose, why are people so sure that he would only be a short term (2 to 3 years) appointment?

I think if he got the United job he would want to stay for the long haul as in 5+ years. Its clear he idolises Fergie so is it not logical to think that one would try and emulate ones idols?

I suppose it really should be a question for those who think he'd last 4 or 5 years.

There is plenty of of evidence that he will only last 2 or 3 years because it's Jose with nothing to suggest it would be different.

I mean it was supposed to be different last time at Chelsea, I'm sure he intended it to be but I believe he can't help himself or can't change.

So while he might want to build a dynasty all the evidence suggests he just cannot do it at any club he has been at.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

K-9 wrote: »
    I suppose it really should be a question for those who think he'd last 4 or 5 years.

There is plenty of of evidence that he will only last 2 or 3 years because it's Jose with nothing to suggest it would be different.

If this is the reason to avoid Jose then it is also the reason to avoid Guardiola.

In reality, the dream of a dynasty has been undermined by 3 years of crap management so in the short term it can no longer be an absolute priority. We need to stabilise and get back on our pedestal, address some serious problems and then go back to the dynasty dream further down the road. Anybody who thinks differently needs to go look at a certain club on the Anfield road and have a good long think about where this ends.

There are quotes from LVG made after the game, seemingly being reported for the first time tonight.

''I’m very disappointed I cannot reach the expectations of the fans. They have, or they had, great expectations of me, and I cannot fulfil them, so I am very frustrated.”

James Ducker and Matt Dickinson have written a joint piece for the Times tonight. They say that Mourinho is more confident of getting the United job and talks have taken place with a view to him taking over in the Summer but that it could happen sooner.

They also state that Woodward had convinced LVG not to resign twice over the Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

This is all just a bad dream... Get lvg out asap he is poison

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

There are quotes from LVG made after the game, seemingly being reported for the first time tonight.

''I’m very disappointed I cannot reach the expectations of the fans. They have, or they had, great expectations of me, and I cannot fulfil them, so I am very frustrated.”

James Ducker and Matt Dickinson have written a joint piece for the Times tonight. They say that Mourinho is more confident of getting the United job and talks have taken place with a view to him taking over in the Summer but that it could happen sooner.

They also state that Woodward had convinced LVG not to resign twice over the Christmas.

I know I shouldn't fall into the bs media but if true why did ed stop him, is it to avoid him looking bad or does he see lvg trying to make the right steps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I've seen it regularly reported that he offered his resignation after the Stoke game, and I assume the other was Norwich - so at this point I wouldn't think it BS.

As to why - I reckon there is a lot of politics behind it, both in keeping LVG and who would replace him.

• Advertisement

I've seen it regularly reported that he offered his resignation after the Stoke game, and I assume the other was Norwich - so at this point I wouldn't think it BS.

As to why - I reckon there is a lot of politics behind it, both in keeping LVG and who would replace him.

what???? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

this cannot be true, its astonishing and absolute disgraceful if it is.

full article here -

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/24/louis-van-gaal-manchester-united-fans-hopes

Neil Ashton, the host of Sunday Supplement has said that Woodward has canvassed the opinion of senior players about LVG's methods and he could be replaced with Giggs.

Ashton has nailed a fair few exclusives in his time but generally in connection with Chelsea, the FA and some others. I never thought he was one that could make up rubbish for a scoop so this is an interesting piece for me.

what???? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

this cannot be true, its astonishing and absolute disgraceful if it is.

full article here -

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/24/louis-van-gaal-manchester-united-fans-hopes

As Mitch said, I've seen it reported before so it wouldn't surprise me if it was true. I have reckoned for a while that the board have lost faith in LVG but are having serious issues with deciding upon a succession plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

K-9 wrote: »

I mean it was supposed to be different last time at Chelsea, I'm sure he intended it to be but I believe he can't help himself or can't change.

So while he might want to build a dynasty all the evidence suggests he just cannot do it at any club he has been at.

Porto he moved on to pastures new after bringing them to the top of Europe.

Chelsea, instant success but in a circus environment with a billionaire Russian pulling the strings.

Inter, won everything he could possibly win with them and moved on.

Madrid, absolute circus and that he lasted as long as he did says more for him than it being a shortish tenure.

Chelsea, yes the whole Eva thing was very distasteful and at any club the results they had would have likely ment he got his marching orders but its still Romans toy.

I'm by no means saying it would definitely be any different if he did go to United but people cannot say with absolute certainty that it wouldn't be different.

He covets the United job and I feel that if he was given it that he would do everything he could to stay there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The thing that worries me about Depay is that he has regressed horribly. Many attacking players have stagnated under LVG but most have kept to some sort of consistent minimum standard. Depay obviously has a lot of talent and he actually started off reasonably well but he's looked like a Championship player in the last few months bar a couple of cameos here and there. He also causes the team huge defensive issues on whatever flank he plays on. Definitely a lack of application on his part as well as being hamstrung by LVG's system.

He has barely played in months. Wrongly imo. You seen it before when Nani wasn't getting gametime under Fergie and was thrown in randomly and was awful.

He is also playing in a silly position where he has to beat 2 players to get into position to do anything and has far too much defensive responsibility. For LVG's system to work the wide players have to be given freedom at a certain point up the field. That's the key to this system being successful, it's baffling that it seems to be the opposite.

tomorrows papers all pointing in the same direction now -

https://twitter.com/ManUnited_Hub/status/691395056452911104

CZhUHLvWYAEXJfO.jpg

CZhUILWWIAAWiLl.jpg

CZhUIPbWAAQU1jA.jpg

CZhUIupWIAIYC1k.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'm more annoyed that Depay was given the No 7 shirt, looking at the legends who have worn that shirt he's not fit to lace their boots, some may say it would make him rise a bit being given that shirt number but he doesn't give a rats, it means nothing to him

And Januzaj wearing no.11

He only got about 5 mins yesterday , but still managed to give away a brainless free that Southampton scored from

Correction : he also managed a badly mis-hit shot

He has been at Dortmund for the last few months , so not sure we can even blame LVG on this one

Porto he moved on to pastures new after bringing them to the top of Europe.

Chelsea, instant success but in a circus environment with a billionaire Russian pulling the strings.

Inter, won everything he could possibly win with them and moved on.

Madrid, absolute circus and that he lasted as long as he did says more for him than it being a shortish tenure.

Chelsea, yes the whole Eva thing was very distasteful and at any club the results they had would have likely ment he got his marching orders but its still Romans toy.

I'm by no means saying it would definitely be any different if he did go to United but people cannot say with absolute certainty that it wouldn't be different.

He covets the United job and I feel that if he was given it that he would do everything he could to stay there.

My opinion on Mourinho is that if he got the United job, he would want it to be long term. He would want to build a legacy like Ferige did (but no way do I see him having 25+ years in him!). His plan would be to be United long term, imo.

However....

1. Mourinho being Mourinho means it could be over in a matter of a couple of years.
    2. If he is to be at United for years, he needs to show the ability to drive a youth set up. He hasn't shown this before. he hasn't had the time to, really, or needed to but at United (unless there is big change) they expect all football related activities to be driven by the manager. While he could be excellent for the first team, I would have big reservations about him from a youth perspective, and that would be worrying from a legacy/long term perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There is a sense in the press now thT he is going, if not gone.

Wouldn't be shocked tomorrow to hear he resigned before jetting back home this morning, but they waited till Mnday to officially announce.

Question now is do we get Jose, or are we going to roll the dice on a push for Pep. Just hope we don't dawdle and lose both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hands off !! We've lost to many players over the last few years to last minute bids etc. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

And Januzaj wearing no.11

He only got about 5 mins yesterday , but still managed to give away a brainless free that Southampton scored from

Correction : he also managed a badly mis-hit shot

He has been at Dortmund for the last few months , so not sure we can even blame LVG on this one
    You can blame him for putting him on the field. The look of exasperation Blind gave Januzaj summed up what he'd done. That was before it cost the goal. Just a basic mistake. Memphis has looked good off the bench the last few games and was left to rot on the bench. Akin to putting Powell on against Wolfsburg.

Get Jose in now to assess the squad for 6 months and have deals prepared for the summer, City have a better squad already, a headstart could be invaluable. If Jose is allowed the resources to match the squad that Pep gets it won't be anything like the Barca Madrid days imo.

Mourinho wanted this job more than the Chelsea one, more than any other. I feel it will be a good appointment, if it ends in 2 or 3 years then we just do what others big clubs do and hire another top manager. We won't find another Fergie, we need to forget about long term managers, it's fantasy land stuff.

Mourinho could get us top 4, we can't be out of the CL again next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »

Wouldn't be shocked tomorrow to hear he resigned before jetting back home this morning, but they waited till Mnday to officially announce.

Question now is do we get Jose, or are we going to roll the dice on a push for Pep. Just hope we don't dawdle and lose both.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-18925-1377642320-11.gif

If he is in charge by end of tomorrow, he won't be sacked anytime soon i reckon.three games in just over a week, stoke and Chelsea in there. It's like Christmas all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Lord TSC wrote: »

Don't do it too yourself,just accept it for what it is and that is,that nothing is going too change anytime soon. He'll be here till we can't mathematically qualify for next seasons CL. We're in store for more of the same rubbish for over the next 3 months and I planned on heading over to the Everton game in April,but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend any money to go over and watch that turgid crap that is constantly on show week in and week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Louis van Gaal should be fired! Manchester United players give boss the thumbs down

Manchester United could wield the managerial axe over Louis van Gaal
    Ed Woodward has canvassed senior players about Van Gaal's methods
    Defeat against Southampton has increased the pressure on LvG further
    Woodward is aware the players have stopped responding to Dutchman

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3414847/Louis-van-Gaal-fired-Manchester-United-players-boss-thumbs-down.html#ixzz3yDApcvAe

The article also says Giggs will be likely to be promoted,I don't like the idea of him hanging around and getting the job by default,it smacks of Giggs visiting his brother's house and waiting for him to leave.;)

If he is in charge by end of tomorrow, he won't be sacked anytime soon i reckon.three games in just over a week, stoke and Chelsea in there. It's like Christmas all over again.

If there's any truth to LVG having left the country then I don't think you can expect to hear an announcement tomorrow.

Woodward had the decency to sack Moyes face to face (albeit a day after the press were briefed about it). I think it would look bad if LVG is fired whilst out of the country.

Unless it's been done already but I think we probably would have heard by now if that was the case.

This is all based on the premise that he's out of the country. What was the source for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The mornings back pages:

CZhLvwSWQAE6bAB.jpg

CZhRNocW0AIylXH.jpg

CZhQko0WcAInu_E.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Van Gaal already having offered his resignation over Christmas would not be a surprise, he has form for it and has been talked out of it at previous clubs in the past. He isn't one to hang around waiting for a compensation payment, I have already said I think he may be walking soon, he simply cannot get the team to work. I am terribly disappointed it will end on such a low note, hopefully he will have done some good work behind the scenes in his time, the training ground and pre season scheduling work is also good.

I'd have loved to see him have his three years, rebuild the structures behind the scenes and set the club up well for the future, with a trophy or two thrown in as a bonus however results dictate how much time you get obviously and this season simply has not been good enough.

If the club really is not interested in Mourinho, and if he doesn't come in this time I think its clear they don't, then I am not sure who is being lined up for the summer, you could get the somewhat left field appointment of Pochetino perhaps, I do like him but he still has much to prove, but whatever about the summer I have no idea who they can get in now and dread Giggs being the number 1.

**** times basically.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Van Gaal already having offered his resignation over Christmas would not be a surprise, he has form for it and has been talked out of it at previous clubs in the past. He isn't one to hang around waiting for a compensation payment, I have already said I think he may be walking soon, he simply cannot get the team to work. I am terribly disappointed it will end on such a low note, hopefully he will have done some good work behind the scenes in his time, the training ground and pre season scheduling work is also good.

I'd have loved to see him have his three years, rebuild the structures behind the scenes and set the club up well for the future, with a trophy or two thrown in as a bonus however results dictate how much time you get obviously and this season simply has not been good enough.

If the club really is not interested in Mourinho, and if he doesn't come in this time I think its clear they don't, then I am not sure who is being lined up for the summer, you could get the somewhat left field appointment of Pochetino perhaps, I do like him but he still has much to prove, but whatever about the summer I have no idea who they can get in now and dread Giggs being the number 1.

**** times basically.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

If you take Mourinho, Guardiola and Giggs out of the equation Pochettino is possibly a front runner looking at the other available options, I mean realistically who else is there? Blanc, Simeone maybe

I see BWIN are doing Pochettino 100/1 next permanent manager, might be worth throwing ten on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

2r3xny8.jpg

• In the only good news.....Darmian injury may not as serious as first thought, although it's only an acknowledgement from Darmians twitter

And for the rest...Giggs as intern is happening...I can sense it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I don't even care if it's Giggs at this stage.

LVG needs to be removed, the past 6 months have been unacceptable after a underwhelming first 12 months and that's just the football.

There's no proof of him improving anything in background with regards to youth.

CBJ is the only young player to emerge and that wasn't through being integrated into the first he was thrown in because of injury much like Blackett and McNair last season.

His man management leaves a lot to be desired and his squad management had been divisive (crap) to say the least.

Couldn't care less about his legacy being tarnished, as like Moyes his problems are his own making.

If Giggs comes in I can't see it getting any worse but I've also personally written of the top 4 for this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Feels like something is def brewing at Utd based on a few journalists tweet s this morning; fingers crossed it's the end game for Louis

I've not much problems with giggs Coming in at this stage either if we're not going to get jose and they have a plan for someone else in the summer.

One issue is that the staff are mostly lvg and I know it was same with moyse but this time they are all Dutch and loyal lvg where as before I think moyse staff stayed on.

Maybe if giggs is coming in get back in rene or phelen to help. Id cringe if i seen scholes coming back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Giggs as interim while the club works out a deal with Jose or pep is fine with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote: »
    I've not much problems with giggs Coming in at this stage either if we're not going to get jose and they have a plan for someone else in the summer.

One issue is that the staff are mostly lvg and I know it was same with moyse but this time they are all Dutch and loyal lvg where as before I think moyse staff stayed on.

Maybe if giggs is coming in get back in rene or phelen to help. Id cringe if i seen scholes coming back again.

Jayo I think we should offer ourselves as a mgt team ;)
    After Saturday his time is up..
    Surely this talk of Jose and letters and Pep being abandoned months ago means Jose is going to take it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I really do think (hope) that he handed in his resignation before flying home yesterday. The club were just waiting till today to announce it.

• Advertisement

Whether it is Giggs or Mourinho - at least there would be a reason to have some sort of hope going into games. It may continue to be crap under them but we could genuinely hope for better. Under LVG we can't expect anything other than more of the same, possibly getting worse as as the player morale becomes more toxic.

I still don't see him leaving though, unless he resigns himself and simply refuses to be talked around for a third time. United have no desire to sack him, whatever the reasons.

brinty wrote: »
    Jayo I think we should offer ourselves as a mgt team ;)
    After Saturday his time is up..
    Surely this talk of Jose and letters and Pep being abandoned months ago means Jose is going to take it..

Tell ya one think brinty the booing would be replaced by Wolf whistles for the backroom staff. Id have the old chelsea physio in straight away followed by bein sports presenters as analysis team and scouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I'm not convinced having Giggs as interim manager is going to be beneficial in anyway.

The biggest concern I have is that the club may well be a clusterf*ck behind the scenes. It's one thing if it's a club that clearly has a consistent strategy but there is more to suggest that the club is buying random players, has a poor youth structure and worse still the owners/Directors do not really know what to do from a football perspective.

I don't think Pep could do much with that squad. His only experience was an extremely talented barca and Bayern. Do people think he can turn that squad into a top side? I believe more then 1 or 2 players are needed to get anywhere near that level.

The way things are at the club, I think Jose is the only manager who could realistically win anything of note. He thrives on adversity and has shown that joining clubs in transition is not a problem. I'm not a big fan of his , don't like his football or techniques but he gets success.

I had hoped that the club had a good structure and strategy in place in the background but I don't see or believe they do. I don't think Jose is the long term solution and I expect the club may end up in the same spot in 3 years time when he invariably cuts his own nose off and has pissed everybody off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I'm not convinced having Giggs as interim manager is going to be beneficial in anyway.

The biggest concern I have is that the club may well be a clusterf*ck behind the scenes. It's one thing if it's a club that clearly has a consistent strategy but there is more to suggest that the club is buying random players, has a poor youth structure and worse still the owners/Directors do not really know what to do from a football perspective.

I don't think Pep could do much with that squad. His only experience was an extremely talented barca and Bayern. Do people think he can turn that squad into a top side? I believe more then 1 or 2 players are needed to get anywhere near that level.

The way things are at the club, I think Jose is the only manager who could realistically win anything of note. He thrives on adversity and has shown that joining clubs in transition is not a problem. I'm not a big fan of his , don't like his football or techniques but he gets success.

I had hoped that the club had a good structure and strategy in place in the background but I don't see or believe they do. I don't think Jose is the long term solution and I expect the club may end up in the same spot in 3 years time when he invariably cuts his own nose off and has pissed everybody off.

United have no desire to sack him, whatever the reasons.

not wanting to admit they got it wrong again or not having enough knowledge/balls to realise that its gone to far, more than likely. if LVG was to turn this around, it would make them look good (in their eyes) that they resisted the pressure to sack him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,136 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bring Fergie back as director of football!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Noway not a chance, fergie was world class manager and his biggest asset was his ability to man manage and get the best out of players that weren't world class.

He is not upto directing a modern football especially at his age.

dont think we need a DOF, as they normally are a disaster. we do need a CEO/chairman however to concentrate on football matters and allow Woodward to carry on his work with the sponsorship and commercial side.

a daniel levy type man, absolutely ruthless would be ideal. dont know if any of our former players have the ability to do it though, but the club badly needs a presence who can rattle the Glazers and bring this club back on track football wise.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Noway not a chance, fergie was world class manager and his biggest asset was his ability to man manage and get the best out of players that weren't world class.

He is not upto directing a modern football especially at his age.

If Giggs was given the job til the end of the season, I reckon Fergie would be involved in some capacity. Possibly not an official new role, but I would guess Giggs would lean on him quite a bit. Possibly one thing Woodward is not too keen in instigating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement