Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boxing day sale, next. go feck yourself !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Leave a nutty log in the changing room in the spirit of Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Leave a nutty log in the changing room.

I work for retail company and some animal has actually done this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

she's our queen too

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I don't believe in saints so I actually couldn't give a sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I don't get the fuss. Next is generally low quality material apart from an odd jacket, I wouldn't be running to the shop any day of the week for their sales.

It's good to see all the hardline churchgoers come out in support of such an important day in their calendar. Wonder how many will be in the pews on Saturday and how many will be sleeping off hangovers?

But then, at least we dont dishonour our beloved church by using a dreaded brit term, that would be wrong.

You can do both you know, masses aren't confined to early morning. I'm sleeping off a hangover most Sunday's but still get mass in the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

It's good to see all the hardline churchgoers come out in support of such an important day in their calendar. Wonder how many will be in the pews on Saturday and how many will be sleeping off hangovers?

But then, at least we dont dishonour our beloved church by using a dreaded brit term, that would be wrong.

None of the Next and other shop workers who have to work early will be able to sleep Saturday morning.

What difference does it make if they are 3 thousand miles away or not.

The day isn't called Boxing Day here so shops should recognize that.

We don't celebrate St Georges day here or other British holiday's so why is it OK to refer to the 26th of December by the name used in a different country.

It's incorrect to refer to it as Boxing Day in Ireland and it's always better to be right than wrong.
    Tackling the real issues I see. Hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

What difference does it make if they are 3 thousand miles away or not.

The day isn't called Boxing Day here so shops should recognize that.

We don't celebrate St Georges day here or other British holiday's so why is it OK to refer to the 26th of December by the name used in a different country.

It's incorrect to refer to it as Boxing Day in Ireland and it's always better to be right than wrong.

You should come to some of the pubs up here today, tell some of the punters, even the rabid barstoolers, that they are incorrect and see how you get on. :)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Joined the queue an hour ago, about 100 people in front of me, it's flipping freezing

Thanks op would never have known about the sale only for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Joined the queue an hour ago, about 100 people in front of me, it's flipping freezing

Roasting here in my warm cosy bed.

Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Saint Stephen was the first Christian martyr. He was stoned to death ( no puns please) for professing his faith.. Then we have Holy Innocents, commemorating the slaughter of all newborn baby boys to try to kill Jesus,, and Thomas a Becket, martyr.. they are not Holy Days of Obligation so your comment re Mass is not appropriate. http://www.catholicireland.net/holy-days-of-obligation/ Hate anyone trying to put guilt on others! ENJOY THE DAY whatever you do, boardsies...from other threads YOU HAVE EARNED IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Palbear

The showers in Auschwitz were pretty bad.

Visited there last month.
    Still haunted by the scratching marks on the walls in the 'showers'.
    More than pretty bad. It's horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Palbear wrote:
    Visited there last month. Still haunted by the scratching marks on the walls in the 'showers'. More than pretty bad. It's horrific.

Scratch marks? You'd think they'd have cleaned those off before letting you use them!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

On behalf of Next I would like to thank you for the free advertisement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Palbear

Guess I walked into that one. After Hours is not really the best place for serious discussion.
    Back to the sales so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

emo72 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind, they always seem to bring in tat for the sale anyway. But that's besides the point. It's sad that they are opening, should be the 28th at the earliest. To me the 26th is the best day of Christmas, the most craic, a few pints too. The thoughts of being back in work the next day is woeful. Death to the bad retailers!

I would never advocate govts or legal intervention in the free market but id be all in favour of banning these type of retailers from opening on the 26th. It was always tradiotally a very family day in Ireland, now this rubbish has crept in- they used it as an excuse during the recession to boost sales. Who in their right mind queues at 6am for the very ordinary clothes Next sell? Their sale prices are about what the clothes are worth in the first place....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

road_high wrote: »
    I would never advocate govts or legal intervention in the free market but id be all in favour of banning these type of retailers from opening on the 26th. It was always tradiotally a very family day in Ireland, now this rubbish has crept in- they used it as an excuse during the recession to boost sales. Who in their right mind queues at 6am for the very ordinary clothes Next sell? Their sale prices are about what the clothes are worth in the first place....

If we all stayed away they wouldn't bother opening.

My New Years resolution is to never shop on a Sunday or a public holiday. Not for any religious reason, but because Sundays and holidays used to be family days, now they are just like every other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

If I see an Irish shop opening or having a sale on the 26th or even 27th, I make a mental note not to use those shops in future. Christmas is for families / relaxation / holidays.

• Advertisement

I would never advocate govts or legal intervention in the free market but id be all in favour of banning these type of retailers from opening on the 26th.

Oh well that's clear so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I always laugh at the hypocrisy of staunch Shinners who support Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea etc

I supported Jeremy Clarkson when he was being attacked and accused of being a racist.

Doesn't mean I'd support him if he laid claim to my back garden.

What you suggest is hypocritical.. isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭6541

It is pretty sad if you get up at 6 am to go shopping. I don't really envy your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

maryishere wrote: »
    If I see an Irish shop opening or having a sale on the 26th or even 27th, I make a mental note not to use those shops in future. Christmas is for families / relaxation / holidays.

You must struggle to find places to shop so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I can understand them calling it Boxing Day, since the majority of their shops are over on the Mainland...

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Oh whacking day, oh whacking day!. When is that again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭indioblack

Graces7 wrote: »
    Saint Stephen was the first Christian martyr. He was stoned to death ( no puns please) for professing his faith.. Then we have Holy Innocents, commemorating the slaughter of all newborn baby boys to try to kill Jesus,, and Thomas a Becket, martyr.. they are not Holy Days of Obligation so your comment re Mass is not appropriate. http://www.catholicireland.net/holy-days-of-obligation/ Hate anyone trying to put guilt on others! ENJOY THE DAY whatever you do, boardsies...from other threads YOU HAVE EARNED IT!

Used to run into this one with my Irish relatives.
    "We call it St. Stephen's Day".
    OK, says I - who was he?
    No answer.
    Stephen? Martyr? Still no answer.
    Guild of St. Stephen? [started in England, I believe].
    Awkward silence - and then:
    "We call it St. Stephen's Day".
    Got it.
    Happy Xmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

It should be illegal frankly. It is unsociable and not right. Shops should not be open on Boxing day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

Patww79 wrote: »
    It is bad for society, everything revolving around profit, always on the go, always consuming and people wonder why we have fat fuc*ers running around draining the health service etc.

The consume mentality is pathetic. Profit over family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

iamstop wrote: »
    I don't believe in saints so I actually couldn't give a sh1te.

Especially not in the changing rooms I hope. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I always refer to it as Boxing Day as St. Stephan's Day is a Christian holiday.

So you prefer to worship at the altar of Colonialism I presume... :rolleyes:

Not just aimed at yourself BTW but all the 'cool kids' out there, most of whom have no problem engaging with the festivities associated with various 'Saints Days' in this country (Halloween, Christmas, Paddys Day etc). I'm no Holy Joe - polar opposite in fact - but if it's known as Stephens Day in this country then so be it. If you're really that anti-Christian then why not be true to yourself and just call it Tuesday/Saturday/Monday or whatever rather than adopting someone elses pet name for it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Loads of money hungry shoppers in Brown Thomas salivating over the 5% off armani jeans:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

So you prefer to worship at the altar of Colonialism I presume... :rolleyes:

Not just aimed at yourself BTW but all the 'cool kids' out there, most of whom have no problem engaging with the festivities associated with various 'Saints Days' in this country (Halloween, Christmas, Paddys Day etc). I'm no Holy Joe - polar opposite in fact - but if it's known as Stephens Day in this country then so be it. If you're really that anti-Christian then why not be true to yourself and just call it Tuesday/Saturday/Monday or whatever rather than adopting someone elses pet name for it ?
    I'm not just anti-Christian but very anti-religion in general. I refuse to stick to traditions that are associated strongly with Christianity, even Paddy's Day. The thing that resonates with me about Boxing Day is that it's a secular holiday associated with giving, and I don't know why the Irish haven't adopted it the same way the British have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭6541

I'm not just anti-Christian but very anti-religion in general. I refuse to stick to traditions that are associated strongly with Christianity, even Paddy's Day. The thing that resonates with me about Boxing Day is that it's a secular holiday associated with giving, and I don't know why the Irish haven't adopted it the same way the British have.

A funny thing has happened Irish Identity. Whilst no-one goes to mass anymore, a lot of us would describe our identity as St Stephens Day, St Patrick's Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, May Bank Holiday, June Bank Holiday, August Bank Holiday, October Bank Holiday. Yep these are all things that Irish people recognize. We don't recognize St George's, St Andrews Day. Armistice Day, Boxing day kinda get the idea. We live in the Republic of Ireland. Yes a Republic, we don't give boxes to servants. We got rid of them privileged people who liked to keep servants, starved there tenants and tried to get rid of the Irish identity ! And we are slowly working on the North, which is still a process of work !! Hup Hup !

My daughter had a Christmas job in next a few years back. Meant I couldn't have a drink Christmas night as I had to be up at 4am to drive her to work. The queues of idiots already at the door was unreal.

Not a hope would I intentionally get up at that time of the morning to go shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭indioblack

6541 wrote: »
    A funny thing has happened Irish Identity. Whilst no-one goes to mass anymore, a lot of us word describe our identity as St Stephens Day, St Patrick's Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, May Bank Holiday, June Bank Holiday, August Bank Holiday, October Bank Holiday. Yep these are all things that Irish people recognize. We don't recognize St George's, St Andrews Day. Armistice Day, Boxing day kinda get the idea. We live in the Republic of Ireland. Yes a Republic, we don't give boxes to servants. We got rid of them privileged people who liked to keep servants, starved there tenants and tried to get rid of the Irish identity ! And we are slowly working on the North, which is still a process of work !! Hup Hup !

You don't give boxes to your servants?
    You old meanie!
    It's Christmas.

6541 wrote: »
    A funny thing has happened Irish Identity. Whilst no-one goes to mass anymore, a lot of us word describe our identity as St Stephens Day, St Patrick's Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, May Bank Holiday, June Bank Holiday, August Bank Holiday, October Bank Holiday. Yep these are all things that Irish people recognize. We don't recognize St George's, St Andrews Day. Armistice Day, Boxing day kinda get the idea. We live in the Republic of Ireland. Yes a Republic, we don't give boxes to servants. We got rid of them privileged people who liked to keep servants, starved there tenants and tried to get rid of the Irish identity ! And we are slowly working on the North, which is still a process of work !! Hup Hup !
    It's a pity that most of the Irish identity was destroyed after old Paddy came to Ireland and drove out all them snakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Because we're Irish that's why.

You came around here and started talking that sh1te you'd be told where to stick it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

"Because we're Irish"

That didn't stop us from adopting other countries' religious festivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BlibBlab

Nah. I'd much rather we still have a celebration like Christmas where many people come home to see their family and friends. It's great seeing so many people you grew up with, especially when you don't live at home and it's nice to have a day dedicated to family where the majority don't have work obligations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

So I assume you were in work yesterday, not having taken advantage of a day off which is associated with a religious event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BlibBlab

And the workers work eh? Better for society that we have a few days off. People love to rail against something because it's cool to be against anything that's been associated with religion or they have the belief that their 'right' to do anything they want whenever they want should be top. I think people forget that we live in a society. How hard is it not to shop for a day or two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

BOHtox wrote: »
    Anyone who shops on Stephen's Day is an absolute joker. You should still be half cut with your friends and family.

Yours sincerely, everyone who works in retail

Anyone who goes to the pub on St Stephens day is an absolute joker....

Yours sincerely, everyone who works in the bar trade

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

I would never advocate govts or legal intervention in the free market but id be all in favour of banning these type of retailers from opening on the 26th.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

You came around here and started talking that sh1te you'd be told where to stick it.

Plenty of Irish people use the term, particularly in the north west. Friends of mine from Donegal would never use the term 'St Stephen's day'. Those from NI who consider themselves Irish would always use the term 'Boxing day' too.

Also, the Irish are great when it comes to nicking traditions from other countries, 'Black Friday' and 'Cyber Monday' are the two latest acquisitions. More and more companies here are marking Thanksgiving. We had to put up with some awful American rubbish this year.

There's so much wrong with this that I don't know where to begin :D

Ask yourself are we as Irish as we think we are?
    So I assume you were in work yesterday, not having taken advantage of a day off which is associated with a religious event.
    Nope, relaxing and enjoying a nice holiday until the new year. Not particularly something to do with a certain Christian holiday stolen from the pagans, but nice to have the time off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement