Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 - How was it for you?

• 24-12-2015 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

You would think as I face into 2016 jobless I'd be hating on 2015 but the positives far outweighed the negatives

- campaigning, winning and celebrating the Marref
    - awful time in work thanks to two bitches- got accused of all sorts - my barrister friend helped me and I got away with redundancy and a nice payout
    - adopting a new little kitty Danny, to join my older car Kylie
    - my mental health improving greatly after I left work
    - my mum still in remission, retiring and having an excellent 60th she deserves
    - clearing all my debts (except my mortgage)
    - Going to RWC 15 and Oslo - it was amazing

Oh... And my Apple Watch 😜

So how was your 2015 AH Boardsies???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Like each year, had its good times, dark times.

Good times did outweigh the bad.

All in all, I'm happy, healthy and home.

As things go, not bad at all.

Got a big promotion, graduated and worked as hard as I've ever done under really tough circumstances. Life's never been more rewarding.

Got lucky in renting a lovely house from friends at 'very reasonable rates' after doing the one bed apt thing for years

Landed in hospital twice but full recoveries meaning I'm much more aware and thankful of my health than ever before.

A tough but great year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Had some highs and some slight lows but all in all a good year and to be honest, over the last week or so it has been getting better.

Will be starting the new year with a new job so looking forward to that. I have my health and the little lad is flying so I'm happy :)

2015 was a good year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Did some traveling, Dublin won the All Ireland, saw Taylor Swift in concert - pretty good year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Bar my own little pity party I'm having in other threads it's been a good year, got made redundant, got a nice sum and then got a job 6 months later. Sold my house, never thought I would and am in the process of buying something much bigger and better.

Most importantly, I've seen my kids progress so much in a new school, they have their own little issues but their teachers and SNAs have really worked wonders with them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Did some traveling, Dublin won the All Ireland, saw Taylor Swift in concert - pretty good year.

Fakers gonna fake fake fake, haterz gomna hate hate hate- my post canvass anthem!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

T'was grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Hmm, let's see

- Saw three couples who are all close friends of mine tie the knot after being together 31 years combined.
    - Got a new and far better job (even though it starts next year).
    - Played a game of football in a Premiership stadium.
    - Got laid a lot more than usual.
    - Friends had healthy babies.

Probably the best year I've had thus far.

Hmm, let's see

- Saw three couples who are all close friends of mine tie the knot after being together 31 years combined.
    - Got a new and far better job (even though it starts next year).
    - Played a game of football in a Premiership stadium.
    - Got laid a lot more than usual.
    - Friends had healthy babies.

Probably the best year I've had thus far.

Sweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

More dark than good times in 2015, actually same for 2014 too.....but I won't let the negativity consume me.

I haven't given up hope that things will turn around. 2016 will be THE year!

• Advertisement

Daenarys wrote: »
    More dark than good times in 2015, actually same for 2014 too.....but I won't let the negativity consume me.

Best wishes x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Graduated with a decent enough degree
    Got three jobs over the course of the year (including a well-paid Graduate one)
    Was sacked from three jobs.

Decent year, though. No deaths, illness or misfortunes amongst family and friends, touch wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

Started badly and ended badly unfortunately.

Sorry to hear that

2015 started off on a high note, with a sense of optimism.
    Major hiccup in March (related to a bad case of unrequited love) saw things get rather worse.
    Summer was a plateau of "meh", before September came and I hit a new low. September 2015 will go down as one of the worst months of my life, and October wasn't a whole lot better.
    November saw things pick up a small bit, and December has seen it go up a little bit again to where I'm back at the "meh" stage rather than the "I hate myself and want to die" stage.

So, in summary, it wasn't a terrific year; crushing lows outnumbered the mild highs. But I have reason to be (cautiously) optimistic that 2016 will be an improvement. Will just have to wait and see....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Daenarys wrote: »

So, in summary, it wasn't a terrific year; crushing lows outnumbered the mild highs. But I have reason to be (cautiously) optimistic that 2016 will be an improvement. Will just have to wait and see....

Lads, been there done that. It happens.

While everybody is different and their situations are different, you just gotta do whatever it is you need to do to make 2016 better. And even if 2016 doesn't work out, theres 2017, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

Crap year mostly spent worrying about the physical and mental health issues of loved ones. I never usually feel this way at this time of the year but genuinely roll on 2016 and learning not to worry so much about people I have no control over. I'd some great holidays though and saw a lot of my brother and his family in the USA, which was really brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

drank too much
    ate too much
    didn't achieve my goals
    went to australia and returned home after only 3 months
    anxiety got worse

Not the best year for me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Started the year feeling down after three of my dogs had been stolen before Christmas, not long after I had starting living alone.
    Then in February got the flu which took a few weeks to recover from, had to struggle with work as cows were calving and I had no help, so things got a bit out of hand.
    Father had to move to a nursing home for professional care.
    Taylor Swift in Concert in June, was the highlight of the year.
    No holiday, but started working on my future dream holiday which is expensive.
    From May onwards things improved, I was depressed in the first third of the year, not bad or anything but was feeling down mentally.
    Second half of the year things on an upward trajectory, feel 2016 should be a good one, none of the negative stuff going into the new year, and lots of plans.
    Apart from getting the flu, I had good physical health, got a DNA test done for health and ancestry, very pleased with the results as I am not prone to any major disease and I have genes associated with longevity, so was happy with that, also found a whole lot of cousins - rather distant 4th and up who are mostly in America, some of them share the same great great grandparents. So I have to put that as another highlight, one can't buy good health.
    I am a fairly fit person, but decided I will work on getting better muscle definition, still in my 30s for a short while, and I don't want middle age spread, which looked like it wanted to start developing, so I declared war on that. It will be an investment in my health, can't let things slip...looking good is good for one's own confidence.
    I will remember the highlights of the year, the rest will be forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

2015 sucked a massive bag of dicks and I'm sure 2016 will be no different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Highlights were ectopic pregnancy, partner leaving me and taking our toddler with him, admissions to psychiatric hospital, financial difficulties (major), I dunno what else. Nothing good.

Oh, I won €4 on a lotto ticket the other day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

2015 wasn't a good year.
    Every even numbered year is a good year for me and normally big changes happen, and all the odd numbered years aren't the best, and this has been the case since I was 6!

All I hope for 2016 is a job and a safer living environment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Mixed but overall good. I did a lot of work on myself this year and its been very productive. I feel really positive about 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

This time last year I was looking for jobs and getting nowhere. Was worried about the future and couldn't get excited about 2015 at all.
    Now I have my dream job and I'm enjoying my holidays before I get back to work in 2016 :)
    Had a lot of ****ty times in 2015 but it all worked out and I'm so grateful and content

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I met and am dating the woman I'll probably make my wife. Even if that means sitting on her until she agrees / is so late for work she agrees.

Edit: And now I get to go back to the Mammy's for Christmas and SEE MY DOG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The earth moved.

Its that fcuking wind again!

roro1990 wrote: »
    drank too much
    ate too much
    didn't achieve my goals
    went to australia and returned home after only 3 months
    anxiety got worse

Not the best year for me

Hugs

Highlights were ectopic pregnancy, partner leaving me and taking our toddler with him, admissions to psychiatric hospital, financial difficulties (major), I dunno what else. Nothing good.

Oh, I won €4 on a lotto ticket the other day!

Xxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

It was good....work went v.well and absolutely flying it now :)

Best friend came home from oz for a month and was without doubt the best three weeks of the last couple of years

Kept off all weight I worked hard to lose and improved my fitness (from a very very low base!)

Love life started good...but kinda imploded a bit (well not as bad as that sounds)...went on a few dates....but time to park that for 2016...will be too busy

Had a massive falling out with my friends and have not bothered much with them since...took long enough to realise they were making me miserable
    But out of this came a new friend who I was only friends off/on with Before that...and now she's like my best friend :D:D

So 2015 was good....well the good points definitely outweighed the bad :D:D

Onwards to 2016

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I lived through another year. No illness, plenty of fun, caught plenty of fish, a couple of new grandchildren, Mrs S says she still loves me, so a good year.

Lost a friend or two this year (R.I.P.) and had to say goodbye to my lovely dog last week, but such is life.

All in all a decent year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

2015 was rough... Went through 3 jobs, 3 houses and ended with a hospital stay, a wheelchair and a set of lovely crutches.

On the plus side it was the steepest learning curve I've ever been on, showed me the decision I made regarding jobs was 100% correct and showed me I'm tougher than I thought so roll on 2016, let's be having you! Things can only go up!! (I hope!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

2015 has been very positive for me in that I finally knocked the Thailand trip off the bucket list after 2 years of savings plus work has been good in that I got a pay rise plus I took up 2 new hobbies which have been great fun. However I now dread 2016 as I'm the kind of person who thinks that karma has to balance and a good year must be followed by a bad year for the cosmos to exist, so I fully expect to get fired or lose a loved one in 2016, I know that's a really cynical and depressed outlook but I cant help it..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Tyson Fury made it a brilliant year for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

good enough for me , Im quiet content with life after being through rough patch a few years ago , doing ok work wise , kids happy and healthy . middle lad qualifying as a vet was this years highlight.

wishing you all , all the best for '16

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rafa05

2015 has been very good to me considering how bad I had it in the last few years. Working in a job that I now do not mind and got a pay rise this year. Got my head above water regarding debt. Got myself a car(banger) but runs very well and is the first time I have been able(could afford it) to drive in a few years. Booked a holiday to South America for 2016. Went on holiday for the first time in years. After years of injuries and frustration I fulfilled a life long dream and I did it in style. I ran my first Marathon( Dublin) and went under 3 hours finishing in the top 350 out of over 13000 people. And towards the end of this year I finally started to make money after 4 years of trying with my internet business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Fairly uneventful. But still a good year! Went on 4 holidays :o And also a work trip. So a bit of travelling. Learned to drive and bought a car, which I've been meaning to do for years, yay! Now to pass the driving test in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

2015 for me was snorkel jacket jumpers from outer space.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Pretty good year. Met my love and got married. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I'm amazed and touched how open you are about private matters. I never was but you all encourage me (especially gaygooner who seems to be a very strong and confident person, considering their previous posts).

2015 was the best year I've had in years.

I've got finally over a broken long term relationship without bad feelings.

I've met (though end of 2014) an old nemesis who haunted me for years and found out that he his just a sad prick.

I've learned to embrace getting older by learning that age brings experience and thus empowerment. Wrinkles? Meet my brains! :D

And I've had the best earning year in a very long time, being self-employed. And being acclaimed for the quality. Plus with savings getting me through springtime 2016, if commissions dry out. They don't though, the way things look. :)

I've struggled for years on many levels. But rest assured: with persistence and determination and the will to survive you will finally succeed. Whatever it is you want to succeed in. Just be patient - it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

**** overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Not great, not bad. A bit meh. My 30th birthday was the highlight which says a lot. A few chicks but nothing major. I aim to accomplish so much more next year and already in progress with those goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Best 8 months of my life. Quickly turned into the worst 4 months of my life. It's been an eventful year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

My team Limerick FC got relegated and that is the standout moment of the year for me.

Yes, I am that sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

2015 has been an absolutely and utterly atrocious year for me, started in summer 2014.

I hope next year is better because I really need a break.

I don't know how I would cope with another year as sh!t as the past 1.5 have been.

Hopefully 2016 is a better year for all of us :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The worse year of my entire life. But I have to try to stay focused on the positive, but it can be very very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Usual bull**** I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

2015 had its moments.

The bad was the first six months, of a bad toxic relationship coming thankfully to an end. The last six months were good. I had a great holiday, reconnected with some friends, started my actual career (hopefully moving full time in 2016)

So a mixed bag but on this date more good than bad

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quarefarmers

Managed to kick the booze and drugs,whole year was spent knocking that monkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dandyelevan

Bad year. Lost a brother and a sister. 2015...can't wait to see the back of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Shíte tbh, there were a couple of high points but mainly it was shíte!

• Advertisement
Advertisement