Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meds cheaper with prescription - why so?

Options
  • 24-12-2015 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

I went to Boots today to buy a cortisone cream.
    I had a prescription but saw that the cream was available off the shelf.
    Staff member tells me it is cheaper if I use the prescription.
    So I do.
    But why is that? Who is winning? losing?
    Ger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most pharmacies sell prescription meds at the same price as they get paid back for DPS customers (not all).

Retail margins will be higher.

Other option is there is a cheaper generic that is not licenced for OTC sale - this happens with a number of drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Don't know why , but my reflux tablets are 50% cheaper on prescription , and are sold over the counter in 14's , and in 28's on prescription

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't know why , but my reflux tablets are 50% cheaper on prescription , and are sold over the counter in 14's , and in 28's on prescription

Licencing. The 28s probably won't pass OTC as you're not meant to take them long-term unsupervised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

This was always the way with hydrocortisone 1% cream.

The wholesale price that the pharmacy pays for the prescription version is much lower than the over the counter one. They are exactly the same product, just different packaging.

Why the wholesale prices are so different is a commercial decision by the manufacturer. Fair play to Boots for giving you the cheaper option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Is that Pantup by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

ejabrod wrote: »
    Is that Pantup by any chance?

Yea they actually called Pantoflux , which I think may be generic type , whereas the OTC ones are probably non-generic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Yea they actually called Pantoflux , which I think may be generic type , whereas the OTC ones are probably non-generic

Yeah, I've been on this since Feb 2014. Pantup is the generic proton pump inhibitor Pantoprazole and was available on prescription only (afaik) until recently.

Think I paid €17 for 3 months (84 tabs) supply in October.

How much is the OTC and is it 40mg?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Have also seems items where the otc version is much cheaper that the prescription. Again the pharmacist highlighted this to me.

Advertisement