Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prequel reboot?

• 24-12-2015 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

With Disney now owning the rights to Star Wars, does anyone think this is even a remote possibility? I'd love to see them done correctly without two headed announcers, 50s diners, giant fish, CGI and Jar Jar. I mean it's not like they wouldn't make money and the fans would likely welcome it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

With Disney now owning the rights to Star Wars, does anyone think this is even a remote possibility? I'd love to see them done correctly without two headed announcers, 50s diners, giant fish, CGI and Jar Jar. I mean it's not like they wouldn't make money and the fans would likely welcome it.

Was just thinking about this the other day. I actually think it'd be well worth doing tbh. I'm usually completely against prequels full stop but, in this case, where it's been done so poorly with a renewed chance of a do-over, I'd actually probably welcome it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Hopefully. They're ****e

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

What would be the point, though? The core story of the prequel trilogy just isn't very interesting, serves to reduce the sense of scale of the Star Wars universe and doesn't do much of anything to set up new narrative possibilities. Disney seem set on having a series of SW films coming out over the next few years; while a do-over of the prequels would probably make money, I don't think there's much call for it, or at least not enough to justify the investment in it.

They're better forgotten and ignored, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

Fysh wrote: »
    What would be the point, though? The core story of the prequel trilogy just isn't very interesting, serves to reduce the sense of scale of the Star Wars universe and doesn't do much of anything to set up new narrative possibilities. Disney seem set on having a series of SW films coming out over the next few years; while a do-over of the prequels would probably make money, I don't think there's much call for it, or at least not enough to justify the investment in it.

They're better forgotten and ignored, IMO.

To "right the wrong". I'm OCD about this stuff but they are a stain on the entire saga to the point that I actually think that much of the positive reviews for The Force Awakens is actually partial relief of the fear that the new movies would be as goofy. I adored the new one but some of that is certainly relief.

By the way mods. I'm almost positive that I opened this thread in the Star Wars forum. Can it be returned there please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Moved to Star Wars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think they have to finish this story as in the "new trilogy" but if it turns out that these new film match the quality of the force awakens it would be a real pity for the prequels to ruin a 9 film saga. I'd be all for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

They could redo the prequels into 1 film probably. I hated that you never saw the period between the end of ep. III and the start of ep. IV. I wanted some Vader badassery, instead all we got was a terrible meme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,521 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think a reboot is necessary or appropriate. Doing a reboot won't change the fact that you have already seen Episode I-III. There is a huge amount of material in the SW universe that can be explored - use that.

What if the reboot is worse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Its amazing that Lucas managed to give us an entire prequel trilogy yet still not deliver the story that A New Hope promised.

Obi-Wan instructed by Yoda
    Obi-Wan taking on Anakin as his apprentice
    Obi-Wan and Anakin's friendship
    Vader hunting down the Jedi
    Leia remembering her mother

Instead we got a story that contradicts the OT so much it is as if Lucas hadn't watched Star Wars since the early 80's.

The prequels are a stain on the entire Star Wars universe that desperately needs to be purged from existence

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    I don't think a reboot is necessary or appropriate. Doing a reboot won't change the fact that you have already seen Episode I-III. There is a huge amount of material in the SW universe that can be explored - use that.

What if the reboot is worse?

I'm assuming it won't with Lucas out of the picture.

I want to see a prequel to the force awakens. I dont necessarily think the prequels are bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

You don't need a reboot, there is a recut of the prequels which makes them surprisingly good:

https://youtu.be/LhJA7I_8-14

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I to VI are complete, draw a line and move on. Disney have just got away with a IV reboot on the sly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Prequels are underrated in my opinion - well at least II & III ... I was pants fair enough - but had its moments.

II & III apart from some shaky dialogue were good films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Watched the anti-cheese edit of the Phantom Menace the other week. It does not hold up well at all, even cutting out a lot of the silly stuff. Writing is very poor, the characters are very flat and bland. Liam Neeson was wasted. The special effects do not hold well imo, CGI as a rule tends to age poorly.

I actually like the lightsabre fight in TFA more so than the ones in the prequels. There is a much better feeling of danger for the portagonists. Less choreographed dance and more two people fighting for their lives.

These edited versions of the prequels ? what are they called ?

The phantom edit is the main one for episode 1. It definitely helps but don't go expecting the second coming or anything. Seemingly Toper Grace of that 70's show fame cut the 3 prequels into a 87min film as an editing exercise. He only screened it once to a few friends then deleted it. By all accounts it's supposed to be brilliant cut with the likes of Jar Jar and gungans all but removed and all the terrible Anakin/Padme dialogue trimmed. I'd love to see it.

ziedth wrote: »
    The phantom edit is the main one for episode 1. It definitely helps but don't go expecting the second coming or anything. Seemingly Toper Grace of that 70's show fame cut the 3 prequels into a 87min film as an editing exercise. He only screened it once to a few friends then deleted it. By all accounts it's supposed to be brilliant cut with the likes of Jar Jar and gungans all but removed and all the terrible Anakin/Padme dialogue trimmed. I'd love to see it.

What about the two headed announcer, the 50s diner on Coruscant and the American football style sport on the big screen in the bar? These are so ludicrous and out of keeping with the original three movies that they make me want to vomit.

I think on the Phantom Edit that is cut down to just the race for all the world but I'd be be telling a lie if I said I was sure. There is also an edit of all three movies on you tube I believe they are called "no cheese the phantom menace" and so on which I haven't seen yet but he tries to remove pretty much as the name says anything cheesy. I haven't seen it but I've been meaning to give it a look

• Advertisement

I must check them out, would love to see the 87 min version of all 3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

ziedth wrote: »
    I think on the Phantom Edit that is cut down to just the race for all the world but I'd be be telling a lie if I said I was sure. There is also an edit of all three movies on you tube I believe they are called "no cheese the phantom menace" and so on which I haven't seen yet but he tries to remove pretty much as the name says anything cheesy. I haven't seen it but I've been meaning to give it a look

Here's one:

Advertisement