Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you be going to mass this Christmas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Second year going love the little mass they have for the kiddies in our church it's like a small closed off part from the rest of the church the kids all get go and still not disturb the holier than thou crowd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

LordSutch wrote: »
    Agreed, X-Mas isn't about religion, but Christmas certainly is . . . .

Actually, Xmas and Christmas are the exact same thing. X actually representing the Greek letter "Chi" which has a long and sacred history of standing for Christ. Xmas far from takes the Christ out of Christmas. Just means both represent a fairy story equally!
    Won't be going to mass. Weddings, funerals and the christening of a niece or nephew only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

kneemos wrote: »
    When they serve nibbles I might.

There's always a queue for the nibbles though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Not catholic so no

You don't have to be a Catholic to go to mass. Sure you can be a atheist, agnostic or Protestant. Your religious background does not matter most Presbyterians, Anglicans, Methodists, Quakers, Calvin's, Zwingli's Pentecostals, Baptists, Anabaptists, Orthodox & Lutherans all celebrate Christmas. Some more Christmassy than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yes, I think its a nice tradition for the family, and gives a sense of formality to the day ( dressing nicely, going early..), and also I think its good to have an element included in the day that doesn't involve material things or food..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Where's the poll?

Answer is yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Second year going love the little mass they have for the kiddies in our church it's like a small closed off part from the rest of the church the kids all get go and still not disturb the holier than thou crowd

With their record!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Walked into that one. Touche my friend.

Best not to touche your "friend" while in church, keep your hands where they can be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Funny how christmas has become a time of year for dickheads to take the piss out of the religious aspect while most likely wolfing down lots of grub and booze after a big shop in everything from BTs to Dunnes.

Aethiasts amaze me. I'd rather be a doubter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'll volunteer to babysit and cut down on the hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No, haven't been in years for normal mass so I would be a hypocrite to go just because its Christmas. If you are only going cause its tradition and have no intention of going back its taking the piss out of the whole mass imo.

eviltwin wrote: »
    No, haven't been in years for normal mass so I would be a hypocrite to go just because its Christmas. If you are only going cause its tradition and have no intention of going back its taking the piss out of the whole mass imo.

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I am not religious. I never go, I wouldn't go tonight or tomorrow. I don't see the point of turning up once a year. I don't go to any church event if I can help it. I got married at a "table" rather that an altar as frankly it would have been an insult to the Priest for me to turn up and ask for a wedding like many do and then never darken then door again until it is the time for little johnnies christening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

There's no hypocrisy involved. That's your catholic guilt "I have to go every Sunday and if I miss one then I may as well miss them all".

If for nothing else then, as Ruu pointed out, it's a contemplative place.

Is Christmas a celebration of Mahon Point, Kildare Village and Dundrum town centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

as a heathen pagan if i go into a church i burst into flame.

So no lol

• Advertisement

cml387 wrote: »
    Is Christmas a celebration of Mahon Point, Kildare Village and Dundrum town centre?

It is actually, when you look at it from a different aspect.

There's no hypocrisy involved. That's your catholic guilt "I have to go every Sunday and if I miss one then I may as well miss them all".

If for nothing else then, as Ruu pointed out, it's a contemplative place.

No guilt here and why would you go at Christmas if you don't intend to keep going the rest of the year? Its not a thing you do for the sake of tradition, that's just being disrespectful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

None of your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

No. I'm not religious but I used to go, meet my friends and then go for mulled wine. I never felt like a hypocrite just as someone who actually has friends. It's a nice feeling of community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

Went earlier. They've changed some of the responses and prayers, "and with your spirit" is the new "and also with you".

It's like you're singing along at a concert and you get the lyrics arseways and you feel like a bit of an eejit.

Tasty communion though.

eviltwin wrote: »
    No guilt here and why would you go at Christmas if you don't intend to keep going the rest of the year? Its not a thing you do for the sake of tradition, that's just being disrespectful.
    Disrepectful to who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

No. Never been to mass for Christmas. My family aren't the most religious..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Funny how christmas has become a time of year for dickheads to take the piss out of the religious aspect while most likely wolfing down lots of grub and booze after a big shop in everything from BTs to Dunnes.

Aethiasts amaze me. I'd rather be a doubter.
    People simply not having belief in a religious deity amaze you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Disrepectful to who?
    Official explanation will be to the truly religious, but the actual truth is that it pisses some people off because there are too many people in church for Christmas. Apparently you can do everything just because except go to mass, there you have to make some sort of a stand or you are hypocrite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Tomorrow at 10am. Just found out that there's a "crying room" in the church. A room for kids to play and watch a movie. I've volunteered for crying room duty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Yes I am a Christian therefore I will be going to mass on Christmas morning and then i will watch mass on rte when I get home
    Christmas is for Christians only.

People who have the faith neither know nor care why you're there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Haven't gone for about the last ten years, don't see the point in making a token gesture so won't be attending.

Each to their own tho, Xmas mass used to be 'milftastic' back in the day :pac:

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

Not packed but always a good crowed anytime I'm there. I'm not home every weekend though so don't go to the local church every weekend.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Official explanation will be to the truly religious, but the actual truth is that it pisses some people off because there are too many people in church for Christmas. Apparently you can do everything just because except go to mass, there you have to make some sort of a stand or you are hypocrite.

I'm not calling anyone else a hypocrite. I would consider myself a hypocrite because I don't believe in God or have any connection to anything that goes on in mass anymore. Sure I could go just because its Christmas but that's not a good enough reason for me. I couldn't care less what anyone else does. Its an important part of the Christmas tradition for a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

Haven't been in yonks and yonks as I'm an atheist though I always think it'd be nice to have somewhere to go to just "be" with other people to just take stock, belt out a few songs and talk about love, kindness, common humanity, generosity and all that good stuff. I'd love to just take all the good bits of coming together with strangers and leave out the god part. I always thought that "peace be with you" handshake was a lovely part of mass, for example. A humanist church of sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Haven't been in yonks and yonks as I'm an atheist though I always think it'd be nice to have somewhere to go to just "be" with other people to just take stock, belt out a few songs and talk about love, kindness, common humanity, generosity and all that good stuff. I'd love to just take all the good bits of coming together with strangers and leave out the god part. I always thought that "peace be with you" handshake was a lovely part of mass, for example. A humanist church of sorts.

There's nothing stopping you heading to a church and experiencing that. I'm not religious but I enjoy religious events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Church for me is what I put into my family and friends
    Afterall religions are invented,beliefs aren't
    I do happen to believe but not pretend to understand fully or even partially that there's more to life after death simply on the basis of how incredible life is,the intelligence that is
    Everything I know has been made by something or someone, only a tiny centila we understand or can hope to
    Ergo I've no issues at all with beliefs in Deities, have no worries accepting there is one or many and hopefully the intelligence to accept that religions are creations of humans based on thoughts about deities but because its humans starting them,we shouldn't be bound by them because humans can and do err
    So yeah,I did go to mass tonight, I don't believe its hypocritical to go just once or twice a year versus every week
    Its a useful service to give a moment to why we are here regardless of the rules of the club (those are man made definitely)
    Go if you want or not at all,just don't diss the whole concept, anger is no good for anything
    Personally I reckon this life is a journey, one of many
    No need to go out of our way to diss the unknown or a potential higher power but yes by all means contest the man made rules

P.s I'm drunk :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ive moved on from all that church and god craic. happy christmas folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Yeah I might pop into a carol service tomorrow. They're beautiful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Church for me is what I put into my family and friends
    Afterall religions are invented,beliefs aren't
    I do happen to believe but not pretend to understand fully or even partially that there's more to life after death simply on the basis of how incredible life is,the intelligence that is
    Everything I know has been made by something or someone, only a tiny centila we understand or can hope to
    Ergo I've no issues at all with beliefs in Deities, have no worries accepting there is one or many and hopefully the intelligence to accept that religions are creations of humans based on thoughts about deities but because its humans starting them,we shouldn't be bound by them because humans can and do err
    So yeah,I did go to mass tonight, I don't believe its hypocritical to go just once or twice a year versus every week
    Its a useful service to give a moment to why we are here regardless of the rules of the club (those are man made definitely)
    Go if you want or not at all,just don't diss the whole concept, anger is no good for anything
    Personally I reckon this life is a journey, one of many
    No need to go out of our way to diss the unknown or a potential higher power but yes by all means contest the man made rules

P.s I'm drunk :D

The bible makes it clear that treating your family and friends well isn't enough, it is how you treat your enemies that counts, even for non Christians that should be the case, treating your friends well makes you a very average person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

The bible makes it clear that treating your family and friends well isn't enough, it is how you treat your enemies that counts, even for non Christians that should be the case, treating your friends well makes you a very average person

But as I was saying, the Bible was written by a human being...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

I stopped a couple of years ago. So freeing! Never really thought of not going till then. No way would I go to Xmas day mass any more. Long, boring, kids screaming, dodgy choir, people all dressed up in their annual best while stinking of stale drink- !! Eugh. No thank you!!

But praise Jesus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ah look it. If it makes other people happy what's not to like. It's only a short time.

My mam in ill in a nursing home now. So tonight, we went to 6pm Mass with her. She was happy out.

So I was happy out to see her happy too! Sometimes it is done for reasons of love, maybe not of God or whatever, but there ya go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Zimmey

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Not even weddings, funerals or baptism.

Well, that's different because that's somebody's event that they are having a religious service for. Going doesn't mean you yourself believe or are hypocritical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

The family have all already gone, just me left. I'll be going to the earliest possible one in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

I won't be attending. I haven't been to mass since I was a young child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I was in my local church this evening. Probably one of the few times I've been this year. The atmosphere was lovely - few carols before hand, nice service then a natter afterwards. Back to the gaff for a few scoops them off to bed. Happy Christmas everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Haven't been to Mass at Christmas (or at all apart from the odd wedding or funeral) since I stopped believing in all that stuff when I was a teenager, at least 10 years at this stage. I did fun stuff like visiting relatives and getting tipsy tonight instead. :)

It's funny, when my grandparents were alive the whole family would go to mass. Then when we were teenagers the kids would always go but now it's just my Dad who goes on his own. Funny how things change in different generations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 cripesonfriday

Nope, haven't been in twenty five years or so, apart from funerals, weddings and christenings.
    My wife went with the kids, said it was packed and that it was a lovely service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Already been. Wont go again till this time next year unless its for a wedding or a funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Haven't gone Won't go again until a wedding or a funeral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Haven't gone Won't go again until a wedding or a funeral.

Stop trying to be me Aero!

:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement