Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you be going to mass this Christmas

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Nope, ain't for me. I'll enjoy having my brother home for Christmas for the first time in nearly a decade. I'll enjoy spoiling my niece and nephew to pieces for their first christmas. I enjoyed meeting with close friends in the pub tonight and catching up on old times. Friends and family are all I need for Christmas :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Haven't been in several years, so no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I've agreed to have my mother in law over for xmas dinner. If she gets a bit much and I need an out then the only place I'll be able to go with heating is probably a church although I shan't be attending service. I'll just bring a book, a hip flask, and hug a radiator.

Otherwise I haven't attended a catholic xmas service in over a decade and tomorrow I feel zero compunction to put myself in a position where I might be tempted to stand up and shout down any hypocrisy. Otherwise though I'll suck off the heat of their radiators just as they sucked off the innocence of children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No chance in hell. Why would I want to waste valuable sleeping time on something I don't believe in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

**** no, that **** is whack

• Registered Users Posts: 8 attagirl

No. My family went this evening, and I very casually said I'd stay home and make the mulled wine instead. To be honest, I expected my parents to have more of a problem with it. (I haven't been to church on Christmas in years, but I also haven't been home under my parents roof.) I think the reason they said nothing was that they knew if they pushed it further I'd have started ranting about abortion and they're tired of hearing me rant about abortion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭weadick

Last year was the first time ever that I didn't go to mass, this will be the second. Just don't see the point anymore.

People who make the biggest fuss about Christmas often tend to be people who wouldn't set foot in a church from one end of the year to the next. Sums up the whole crassness of the 'holiday season'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

weadick wrote: »
    Last year was the first time ever that I didn't go to mass, this will be the second. Just don't see the point anymore.

People who make the biggest fuss about Christmas often tend to be people who wouldn't set foot in a church from one end of the year to the next. Sums up the whole crassness of the 'holiday season'.

I'm absolutely ashamed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

catbear wrote: »
    I've agreed to have my mother in law over for xmas dinner. If she gets a bit much and I need an out then the only place I'll be able to go with heating is probably a church although I shan't be attending service. I'll just bring a book, a hip flask, and hug a radiator.

Otherwise I haven't attended a catholic xmas service in over a decade and tomorrow I feel zero compunction to put myself in a position where I might be tempted to stand up and shout down any hypocrisy. Otherwise though I'll suck off the heat of their radiators just as they sucked off the innocence of children.

Heating? What are you, a Protestant? It needs to be colder than a snowmans ballsack so you can feel the sin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm absolutely ashamed!

I'm not. Bollix to mass. Two thumbs up to stuffing my face in front of the telly. There were winter festivals loooooooong before there was ever a mass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Mass doesn't appeal to me any other day of the year so I don't see why it should near the 25th of December.
    I have my own Christmas which has nothing to do with religion. I give gifts to family and friends and sit down for a meal with the people closest to me. I don't need to listen to screaming children or suffer through various other mass related tortues to have that legitimised.
    I like to think I'm just like those early Christians who latched on to pagan harvest festivals when inventing their own religion. Even the Bible says Jesus was born some time around late spring - early summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah was at the 6pm Mass yesterday, church was full and it was a nice service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I cover all my post-life prospects by worshiping all the gods equally.

Gods bless you all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No, sadly. My immune system is out and it would be a short cut to hospital and several weeks in bed. I went to a quiet midweek Mass last week and thankfully there is live Mass from Killarney here on the internet. My whole life is for Jesus and always has been and I will never judge anyone but love all. Forgiven the abuse I suffered as my eyes are on Him not on men..So many throw the Baby away with the mucky bathwater...so much bitterness... Will be perforce abed most of today but my heart is singing for Jesus and wall to wall carols here. Not lip service. Life given. When folk ask I tell them to read the gospels from Matthew 5 onwards. That is what I strive to live and so Christmas is of that and a holy time up here alone on the mountain. Mass can be a part of that and good to strengthen others by being with them. Give all, love all, but above all love Jesus. The rest will follow.. Off to find some carols online..Later this week hope to do a Church crawl! All the Churches filled with Christmas.Joy to the world. Happy graces7!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I will attend 12 noon service tomorrow.

I was a nasty piece of **** in my earlier years, but the Lord never turned his back on me. The Lord will forgive any trespasses. It's never too late to redeem your soul.

God is Love. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

No, cos there is no God. And if more people can see the truth . The better the world would be......
    Have a happy socks an jocks day lads

Yep.

Not a mass goer, but have an elderly mum and would like to bring her. And a 1 year old daughter and would like to introduce her to the whole religion thing. If she decides it's not for her in years to come won't be in the least put out, not into it myself but think the exposure to it did me and my friends no harm anyway, and maybe some good. I like the way I turned out!

Plus was married in a Church, my daughter was baptised in a Church, think it would be hypocritical of me to only haul along for my own days out. That's not gonna be daily mass mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

I will attend 12 noon service tomorrow.

I was a nasty piece of **** in my earlier years, but the Lord never turned his back on me. The Lord will forgive any trespasses. It's never too late to redeem your soul.

God is Love. :)

Well seeing as it's never to late il redeem my soul on my death bed up until then feck it be grand :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Attempted to go last night. But as I walked in the door, it was just over. I didn't realise they changed the time. Met a few neighbours, chatted with the priest and lit a few candles. Said a few prayers for the family too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Two years ago, i went where the priest had a 15 minute rant about how disgraceful it is that everyone shows up for christmas mass yet not to be seen for the rest of the year.

It was an angry bitter sermon that caused an exodus of people walking out of the church before communion was even given.

Since then, i never went to mass on christmas day. As a non-mass goer week to week, i would not feel welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Already been. Wont go again till this time next year unless its for a wedding or a funeral.

So why go now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I'm a hypocrit. I'll go to take my father who can't go alone. I'll try to do it without moaning. It means a lot to him. Hopefully they have wifi!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I have to go or my mum wouldn't forgive me. It's like a tradition anyway and I hate changing things on Christmas day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Patww79 wrote: »

People could have countless reasons for going rather than just 'for show' in fairness.

Nice to see the Christmas spirit is alive and well though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

He was dead right and anyone only going at Christmas for show shouldn't be made welcome.

Yes Father MaGillycuddy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

That might be the case for some people but it's a bit silly to assume it's the same with all. I considered going because I know it would make my parents happy, didn't bother in the end because I felt like a bit of a hypocrite. Definitely no element of wanting to be seen there on my part.

Genuinely didn't realise it bothered any regular church goers either tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Genuinely didn't realise it bothered any regular church goers either tbh.

It doesn't, it just bothers zealots on both sides of (no)religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Nah, we are heathens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

No because Im a Protestant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Two years ago, i went where the priest had a 15 minute rant about how disgraceful it is that everyone shows up for christmas mass yet not to be seen for the rest of the year.

It was an angry bitter sermon that caused an exodus of people walking out of the church before communion was even given.

Since then, i never went to mass on christmas day. As a non-mass goer week to week, i would not feel welcome.

And yet there was probably more baskets than usual passed around to bleed the pockets of the patrons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

No, there's only 24 hours in any given day.

I'm not pissing an hour of that day away listening to a man in a dress telling me about how a magical man in the sky is angry with me for owning an iPhone!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Domonator

Nope, I don't believe in fairy tales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

beertons wrote: »
    Attempted to go last night. But as I walked in the door, it was just over. I didn't realise they changed the time. Met a few neighbours, chatted with the priest and lit a few candles. Said a few prayers for the family too.

And they say there's no justice in the world.

:pac:

And they say there's no justice in the world.

:pac:

I clocked in, will keep the mother in law happy. She doesn't have to know we missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Stojkovic wrote: »

Up to no good as usual you lot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Last night I went to Mass for the first time in 20 years.

A prayer of the faithful went something like this: "Pray for our country's leaders, that they might guide us peacefully and govern our nation in a true Christian manner, particularly defending the right to life of all of our unborn children."

Well I won't be going back there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

We went to midnight mass last night. I quite liked it, actually - couldn't remember the 'let me enter under your room/And with your spirit etc.' shíte that's changed in the past few years, but I do like the tradition of all the family going along and seeing in Christmas Day with a few carols.

I don't know if anyone else's mom's like this, though. She leaves more time to get a 'good seat' at Christmas Eve mass than she does getting to the airport for a flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

When they start breaking out bottles of wine at communion, I will consider going.

They have started that a couple of years now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

brummytom wrote: »
    We went to midnight mass last night. I quite liked it, actually - couldn't remember the 'let me enter under your room/And with your spirit etc.' shíte that's changed in the past few years, but I do like the tradition of all the family going along and seeing in Christmas Day with a few carols.

Jaysus that sounds a bit creepy :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Not exactly full of the old peace and goodwill was he?

Our church was packed last night, and the PP remarked at the end..."remember,you are ALWAYS welcome here".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Not exactly full of the old peace and goodwill was he?

Our church was packed last night, and the PP remarked at the end..."remember,you are ALWAYS welcome here".

Paddy Power said your mass :eek:

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

kfallon wrote: »
    Paddy Power said your mass :eek:

:p

Very good :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Funny how christmas has become a time of year for dickheads to take the piss out of the religious aspect while most likely wolfing down lots of grub and booze after a big shop in everything from BTs to Dunnes.

Aethiasts amaze me. I'd rather be a doubter.

It's funny how dickheads into religion actually take Xmas for real, even when everyone knows it's a load of made up nonsense that hijacked the pagan mid-winter celebrations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Last night I went to Mass for the first time in 20 years.

A prayer of the faithful went something like this: "Pray for our country's leaders, that they might guide us peacefully and govern our nation in a true Christian manner, particularly defending the right to life of all of our unborn children."

Well I won't be going back there again.

/facepalm

The carry-on over the marriage ref was my last outing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Haven't been in well over 20 years now, and not planning on changing it.
    It's one of the nicer aspects of living abroad and not celebrating with the family that there's no elderly relatives trying to guilt-trip you into attending church :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Haven't been for many years and don't plan on changing that any time soon. Or any time at all for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Did you miss the auld 'prodigal son' story? D- for your Christianity there, Pat!

:D

Advertisement