Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you be going to mass this Christmas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I think we've found the grinch!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭BenedrylPete

Got to night mass last night. Off the hook.
    It was fr harry stone. He gives good mass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭BenedrylPete

beertons wrote: »
    Attempted to go last night. But as I walked in the door, it was just over. I didn't realise they changed the time. Met a few neighbours, chatted with the priest and lit a few candles. Said a few prayers for the family too.

That counts. Anything over 2 candles and 3 prayers while on active church ground and you technically went to mass.

Section 3 of the christmas act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Mass was good today. Place was packed out. But the priest really had the his Christmas buzz on and was quite funny at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Got to night mass last night. Off the hook.
    It was fr harry stone. He gives good mass.

We had Fr. Clippett. He did his customary 3 hours. :(
    Mass was good today. Place was packed out. But the priest really had the his Christmas buzz on and was quite funny at times.
    Must be like the World Cup and Olympics rolled into one for priests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Nigerian priest and a chap from the North did ours last night. It was packed. We got to listen to a recording of our parish superstar Father Ray Kelly at the end. He was watching the people at the back who were leaving early! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I'm atheist and haven't been to a Christmas mass in a decade or so.

Last mass I went to was a wedding maybe four years ago.

I'm half thinking of going to a mass tonight, if there's a church near me, and if they do evening masses.

I'm not rethinking my principles! I'm just spending the most saddest Christmas Day ever all alone. I was thinking of going to mass, because I like the idea of being around people, but without having to actually talk to them or interact with them. I don't know, I guess the community spirit or Christmas spirit or whatever is what I'm after.

It just seems a bit sad to go through a whole Christmas Day without seeing another human being. :(

But yeah, still totally atheist, and that's not going to change! So I guess I'm quite the hypocrite to even be thinking about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

We had Father

Michael, who can

only say four

syllables at

a time, at

most, and he

speaks so softly

you can't hear

him over the creaking

of bones and pews.

Fortunately, I have a copy of an RTE mass from years ago that was recorded in my old parish church (now that was a packed Mass, everyone wanted to be on the telly :pac: ) which includes a great rendition of O Holy Night, so I played that as compensation.

I'm half thinking of going to a mass tonight, if there's a church near me, and if they do evening masses.

I'm not rethinking my principles! I'm just spending the most saddest Christmas Day ever all alone. I was thinking of going to mass, because I like the idea of being around people, but without having to actually talk to them or interact with them. I don't know, I guess the community spirit or Christmas spirit or whatever is what I'm after.

It just seems a bit sad to go through a whole Christmas Day without seeing another human being. :(

But yeah, still totally atheist, and that's not going to change! So I guess I'm quite the hypocrite to even be thinking about it!

I'd say go for it, I'm not religious myself but love the community feeling at Christmas mass. You're not harming anyone by going and I don't think any decent christian would begrudge you for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

lets face it, its the only card the howly roman church can still play to try pick up a few regular punters

Going to Christmas mass because of tradition is pretty bad. Done it myself cause I had to but that stops when you're a teenager.

Going as an adult makes you a supporter of something that calls you a sinner. No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Zimmey

weadick wrote: »

People who make the biggest fuss about Christmas often tend to be people who wouldn't set foot in a church from one end of the year to the next. Sums up the whole crassness of the 'holiday season'.

The biggest fuss about attending Mass or just Christmas in general? Christmas is a time for family more than religion, IMO. If we didn't have a Christian festival at this time of year, we'd have something else. There have always been midwinter festivals in the more northerly climes of the northern hemisphere to break up the long, dark winter. I see no contradiction with non-religious folk being big into Christmas. This is the prevalent midwinter festival.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sorry to hear you are spending Christmas alone. I hope you find some joy over the holidays and all is well. There is nothing hypocritical about what you're suggesting.

FWIW a friend of mine spends every second christmas alone. She's Jewish, lives alone in the US. Her family lives on the opposite side of the US hence why she only goes every second year. When she's on her own she watch a load of movies and eats Chinese food. She says it's her own spiritual retreat.

Going to Christmas mass because of tradition is pretty bad. Done it myself cause I had to but that stops when you're a teenager.

Going as an adult makes you a supporter of something that calls you a sinner. No thanks.

Only if you give them money ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Last night I went to Mass for the first time in 20 years.

A prayer of the faithful went something like this: "Pray for our country's leaders, that they might guide us peacefully and govern our nation in a true Christian manner, particularly defending the right to life of all of our unborn children."

Well I won't be going back there again.
    That's shocking
    You'd think that the Catholic priest in the Catholic Church saying mass for a church full of Catholics would ask all those Catholics to pray for the introduction of abortion on demand
    Did he not know that a total stranger would be grossly offended?
    The cheek of him !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

I find it offensive that my mass has never been broadcast live on television as it is in the Armagh diocese which is the king pin of the church yet they would film in some bog in Carlow or somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Haven't gone in 20 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

faceman wrote: »
    FWIW a friend of mine spends every second christmas alone. She's Jewish, lives alone in the US. Her family lives on the opposite side of the US hence why she only goes every second year. When she's on her own she watch a load of movies and eats Chinese food. She says it's her own spiritual retreat.

Why would a jew give a toss about Christmas? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Zebra3 wrote: »

She doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

No. I know none of the incantations and spells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

faceman wrote: »
    She doesn't.

So why tell the story then? :confused:

Zebra3 wrote:
    So why tell the story then?

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Went to midday mass today on my own. Haven't been in a long time but had an urge to go. I enjoyed it, the priest was quite relaxed, the choir were very good and it was nice to feel part of the community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Didn't go in the end! The idea seemed nice, but the reality of sitting through it ... nope! Also it would have meant changing out of my PJs, another nope! Ah well. Another year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

kneemos wrote: »
    When they serve nibbles I might.

The body of God not good enough for you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Wasn't interested in going to mass at all

Maybe coz Jesus was a Jew. :pac:
    I find it offensive that my mass has never been broadcast live on television as it is in the Armagh diocese which is the king pin of the church yet they would film in some bog in Carlow or somewhere

They'll go anywhere, but they have to be invited. Some priests/some parishes don't want to be bothered with the stage-management needed to make a televised Mass work. The "behind the scenes" of a televised Mass is pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I haven't gone to mass in over ten years, Christmas or no. I'm not religious but even if I was I still wouldn't go on account of how boring mass is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

No. I didn't. I went to the 4th Sunday of Advent one as it was my Mum's 60th and she asked.

Priest was obnoxious claiming they were trying to remove religion from primary schools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Went at 9pm last night and at 12pm today. Nice full crowd there this year but it wasn't completely packed.

Last years masses that I went to were completely packed with a lot of young people like myself which was great to see on both occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Yeah, I went. It's what Christmas is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Went to 12.15 this morning - with the Brass Band playing some lovely tunes .
    Mixed crowd with lots of young people there , and the Priest's sermon about Christmas starting at Halloween and reminding us of why there is a Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

I don't go the rest of the year and don't see Christmas as any different. I haven't been to mass in 18 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Yeah its a simple thing that keeps my mum happy for Christmas so I do not mind.
    The whole family goes to mass then we all head to the graveyard to pay respects to dead relations. Its not even religious to me anymore - more tradition like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭freewheeler

Religion (or fairy tales for adults as i prefer to call it) should be banned as it has warped the minds of poor desperate people for far too long! Great to hear that church attendances are falling..have we finally woken up to the truth? As you can probably guess i didn't attend mass this xmas lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Religion (or fairy tales for adults as i prefer to call it) should be banned as it has warped the minds of poor desperate people for far too long! Great to hear that church attendances are falling..have we finally woken up to the truth? As you can probably guess i didn't attend mass this xmas lol

Star Wars should be banned and Harry Potter and English Premier League football as it has warped the minds of poor desperate people for far too long.
    Also GAA and following Btitish soap operas
    Hopefully everybody who participates in these activities will finally wake up to the truth and only participate in things that I enjoy/am interested in /approve of

Religion (or fairy tales for adults as i prefer to call it) should be banned as it has warped the minds of poor desperate people for far too long!

The same could be said for Sinn Féin, Labour, UKIP in England, the Front National in France, the Tea Party in the US ...

... and probably also Mattel, Hasbro, Disney, Hallmark, AIB, BoI, Ryanair, Guinness, Absolut, Jägermeister ...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Religion (or fairy tales for adults as i prefer to call it)

You must be a hit at parties.

There was a couple with their kids sitting behind me yesterday. They (the parents) spent the whole Mass whispering, skitting and having a laugh. They weren't accompanied by Granny or anything, so why bother? You're just disrupting it for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

c_man wrote: »
    There was a couple with their kids sitting behind me yesterday. They (the parents) spent the whole Mass whispering, skitting and having a laugh. They weren't accompanied by Granny or anything, so why bother? You're just disrupting it for others.

Same happened in our local church - middle aged parents and what looked like a son in his twenties and his girlfriend in front of us. They hadn't a clue what was going on - so stood when others kneeled and vice versa. Chatted and sniggered throughout the ceremony. Can't understand this - if you've no respect, just don't bother going.

• Advertisement

The priest that said that mass (4th Sun) is a paedo sympathieser anyway- blamed the boys in Dangain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I do not go to mass simply because of how that Roman organisation treated children in this country for decades. And before anyone says "a few bad apples", the whole organisation had a culture of self protection, secrecy, power and cover-up. I will never forget how their recently retired "leader" in Ireland (Brady) imposed an oath of secrecy on abused children helping their abuser (Smyth) to continue his abuse for 2 more decades. Smyth abused over 200 children by the time he was stopped.

This is the oath presented to the children: "I will never directly or indirectly, by means of a nod, or of a word, by writing, or in any other way, and under whatever type of pretext, even for the most urgent and most serious cause (even) for the purpose of a greater good, commit anything against this fidelity to the secret, unless a...dispensation has been expressly given to me by the Supreme Pontiff."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭jluv

Go to mass fairly regularly during the year. Love Christmas mass..sense of community LOVE seeing the kids and is normally a more relaxed ceremony..

This year though the priest requested a family to bring up the offertory gifts.
    He chose the " he who thinks he is most respected but everyone knows has swindled most of the community of money":)
    So funny to watch the whole church do one of these:eek:

I do not go to mass simply because of how that Roman organisation treated children in this country for decades.

No denying it was horrific.

But to deny my child the chance to experience it and thereafter make her own decision seems to me to be similar to saying she can't swim because Swim Ireland's predecessor the IASA had an appalling record in covering up the sex abuse carried out by its coaches.

By the same logic, you really shouldn't watch any BBC productions either ...

If there were massive cover ups right to the top and the victims were silenced maybe...

By the same logic, you really shouldn't watch any BBC productions either ...

Exactly. Sex abuse happened. Some organisations facilitated it more than others, but my daughter will watch BBC, will swim, and will sometimes go to Mass, and she will be protected against any harm because she is the most important thing in my world.

Exactly. Sex abuse happened. Some organisations facilitated it more than others, but my daughter will watch BBC, will swim, and will sometimes go to Mass, and she will be protected against any harm because she is the most important thing in my world.

Watching the BBC and going on with Jimmy Saville two very different things

If the BBC COvered it up heads should roll- not like the RCC - suffer little children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I politely declined an invitation to mass. Not gonna sit there and pretend I believe in something i don't.
    So why tell the story then? :confused:

I suggest you research Hanukkah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Haven't been to Mass since I grew up. Never will again. Hold the institution in contempt . What still surprises me is the innocence of lay people about the reasons for the cover up of abuse: the institution had to be protected because it was theologically the means whereby god manifested himself in the world and priests who were an alter christus could not be seen by the faithful to be predatory pedophiles. There were theological reasons for the cover up: priests are superior to lay people and if children suffered so be it. Apart from all that the absurdity of all revealed religions eventually dawns on most people.
    It will be another great step forward for us as a republic when the state is seen as independent from and neutral to all religions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement