Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you be going to mass this Christmas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭freewheeler

What various branches of the RCC are you alleging are defrauding people of their savings? Have you reported this extortion to the Gardai?
    If you are referring to practising Catholics making donations regularly to their local Church then what possible issue could you have with that?
    People spend money inappropriately all the time. It's a matter of opinion, not fact as you state, wether giving to charity is inappropriate or not.
    As your not being personally affected by the Church, and you've only vague wild unsubstantiated allegations of financial chicanery, I'd ask you once again why you cannot just let people get on with their lives in religion while you get on with your without?

you keep making things up i'm afraid..i am aware and i'm sure you too that this mega-rich organisation is constantly putting on the poor mouth and looking for peoples money! true or false?

i never once said anything about people giving money to their local church.

And YES i do have a problem with people i care about sending money (by direct debit no less) to some obscure monastery in deepest Italy for some kind of special prayers?? give me a break..if thats not exploiting vulnerable people i don't know what is...

By the way also as i stated previously i don't in any way interfere with anyone practicing their religion....but i do have a problem with the church exploiting peoples fears and beliefs to enrich themselves..other folks do that too...the Nigerian Lottery scam for instance..

It has no say in my life..i can think rationally for myself...i said PEOPLES lives if you care to read my post. I know of vulnerable people who donate their money to various branches of the catholic church mainly because of receiving church literature through their doors..donating money to one of the richest organisations on earth?? and for what??? because they are made to feel they should!
    Truth be told the church in common with a lot (if not most) huge organisations is corrupt and rotten to the core....designed solely these days at least to separate you from your cash.

Churches rely on money in the collections and donations to survive, they don't get big pots of money from anyone. Even something like repairing a roof etc needs to have money raised for it and the collection at Christmas and Easter is for the priest so people tend to give extra in these collections to thank the priest for all his work.

Helping the missions is a good thing too, priests and nuns do untold work in poor countries and they need support to carry out their work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No. I'm not a papist.

A "papist" !

Is that you King Billy travelling in a time machine from 1690.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

you keep making things up i'm afraid..i am aware and i'm sure you too that this mega-rich organisation is constantly putting on the poor mouth and looking for peoples money! true or false?

i never once said anything about people giving money to their local church.

And YES i do have a problem with people i care about sending money (by direct debit no less) to some obscure monastery in deepest Italy for some kind of special prayers?? give me a break..if thats not exploiting vulnerable people i don't know what is...

By the way also as i stated previously i don't in any way interfere with anyone practicing their religion....but i do have a problem with the church exploiting peoples fears and beliefs to enrich themselves..other folks do that too...the Nigerian Lottery scam for instance..

Now your just being ridiculous
    Your comparing the RCC who are recognised by people of all religions and none, as having done more for the disadvantaged in the developing world then any other organisation , with a Nigerian lottery scam!
    Please, when your in a hole, just stop digging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Your comparing the RCC who are recognised by people of all religions and none, as having done more for the disadvantaged in the developing world then any other organisation , with a Nigerian lottery scam!

They are?

I think you misunderstand the primary purpose of missionary work.

Churches rely on money in the collections and donations to survive, they don't get big pots of money from anyone. Even something like repairing a roof etc needs to have money raised for it and the collection at Christmas and Easter is for the priest so people tend to give extra in these collections to thank the priest for all his work.

Helping the missions is a good thing too, priests and nuns do untold work in poor countries and they need support to carry out their work.

and as i said previously hows about the vast wealth of the catholic church? what do they want such vast wealth for if not for all the things you mentioned?? is it that they just don't like spending it?

Its a pity the rcc don't use some of the vast wealth at their disposal to feed and educate people in the third world without trying to covert them in the process..and i stand by what i said..separating people from their cash with nothing in return equals SCAM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

and as i said previously hows about the vast wealth of the catholic church? what do they want such vast wealth for if not for all the things you mentioned?? is it that they just don't like spending it?

You can't spend the Sistine chapel.

Would it be fair to say that much of the "vast wealth" is comprised of their churches and religious artifacts?

And if so, is that not like saying the HSE has vast wealth because it has lots of hospitals and all that expensive machinery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The last time I went to mass on Christmas Day, I was serving an Altar Boy. Got a feckin Mars Bar....

When I turned 13. My parents said I was old enough to make up my own mind about religion and then I stopped going. My mother was the only one in the house that kept going but she stopped a few years ago when the priest requested that each family give at least 5 euros a week.

Bunch of pr1cks.

• Advertisement

You can't spend the Sistine chapel.

If people could just do a little bit of research that would be great! :D The vatican has hundreds yes HUNDREDS of millions on deposit...so much so in fact that it recently 'stumbled across' several hundred million in deposits that it 'didn't know' existed!! this is quite apart from the BILLIONS worth of property, fine art etc. that it owns! i'm not making this stuff up..you couldn't!!! So think of that the next time they pass the plate...

If people could just do a little bit of research that would be great! :D The vatican has hundreds yes HUNDREDS of millions on deposit...so much so in fact that it recently 'stumbled across' several hundred million in deposits that it 'didn't know' existed!! this is quite apart from the BILLIONS worth of property, fine art etc. that it owns! i'm not making this stuff up..you couldn't!!! So think of that the next time they pass the plate...

That's all irrelevant as far as the collection is concerned, parishes have to be self sufficient and don't get money from above. When you put money in the basket it goes to running your local church. Churches release their accounts also so you can see here it was spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Can you link to that "research".

Obviously we know they have churches and art. Selling that would just move it from public places to private ownership. That's not going to happen.

That's all irrelevant as far as the collection is concerned, parishes have to be self sufficient and don't get money from above. When you put money in the basket it goes to running your local church. Churches release their accounts also so you can see here it was spent.[/QUOTE

Hey look if you want to make a mega rich organisation even wealthier thats your own business. :rolleyes:

Can you link to that "research".

Obviously we know they have churches and art. Selling that would just move it from public places to private ownership. That's not going to happen.
    Do you really think i'm making this stuff up? are you seriously doubting the wealth of the church? and no as i said before i wasn't even talking about art, property etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Just checking in to see if the usual suspects have converted anyone to Mass? Any "lapsed Catholics" back in the sheepfold? Has the annual AH Mass thread with its crowded churches and sense of community won the day? Are we back in the 1950's again? Novena, anyone?
    It's Christmas/ Groundhog Day on AH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    You don't have to be a Catholic to go to mass. Sure you can be a atheist, agnostic or Protestant. Your religious background does not matter.

yes, but mass is a catholic service, only catholics are allowed take communion in mass, people of other religions are not allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

fryup wrote: »
    yes, but mass is a catholic service, only catholics are allowed take communion in mass, people of other religions are not allowed

I was always disappointed that the wafer at the end didn't taste like Pepperami or whatever that meat snack was. Body of christ me arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why would you suggest that when I know what it is?

And what had it got to do with a jew being on their own for Christmas? :confused:

Hanukkah is often celebrated at around the same time as Christmas, therefore a Jew would go home for Hanukkah, not Christmas.

Of course, they may also just take the opportunity of the Christmas holiday as a convenient time to go visit their family. Hence why a Jew would visit family at Christmas time without necessarily 'giving a toss' about Christmas itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

ok so say the church needs a new roof, why go looking for it locally if the church has billions in bank accounts worldwide?

Hey look if you want to make a mega rich organisation even wealthier thats your own business. :rolleyes:

I already told you the money is what keeps your local church open, it paying for their electricity, their heading, maintenance etc etc. If a big repair is needed a church usually has to to extra collections in order to fund it. People don't mind giving money to keep their church in good condition.

They also don't mind giving money towards the missions as they do such excellent work around the world.
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    ok so say the church needs a new roof, why go looking for it locally if the church has billions in bank accounts worldwide?

Because parishes have to be self sufficient and much raise their own funding.

I already told you the money is what keeps your local church open, it paying for their electricity, their heading, maintenance etc etc. If a big repair is needed a church usually has to to extra collections in order to fund it. People don't mind giving money to keep their church in good condition.

They also don't mind giving money towards the missions as they do such excellent work around the world.

Because parishes have to be self sufficient and much raise their own funding.

so what is the point in the church having billions if it doesn't use it? instead they go looking for it from the local mugs who are so silly they can't see they are brainwashed and part of a cult.

instead they go looking for it from the local mugs who are so silly they can't see they are brainwashed and part of a cult.

You do realise you are being highly offensive with your comments, I do not know any brainwashed mugs who attend mass nor is the Catholic Church a cult. The atheist bandwagon certainly like to think they are great when in fact they are the fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

You do realise you are being highly offensive with your comments, I do not know any brainwashed mugs who attend mass nor is the Catholic Church a cult. The atheist bandwagon certainly like to think they are great when in fact they are the fools.
    Well I find it offensive every time your cult judges people in this tolerant society, didn't voices from the vatican call the marriage vote a disaster for humanity?
    Seriously, do a reality check, you're in a cult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

it is a cult, it was established by a roman emperor emperor constantine hence Roman Catholicism

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

"I'm offended! I'm now going to be offensive!"

A few definitions of what a cult is:

A system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object

A misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

A few definitions of what a cult is:

A system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object

A misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular thing
    Is it just for old people who just go and talk sh1te in the porch??

I went at Xmas as it was nice to have chats with friends etc back for Xmas and rather amazingly the priest is very good craic and not overly conservative around here....cracking jokes etc,drinking gambling regularly and kinda open secret he has a girlfriend and he used wish the very odd couple who were going for civil partnerships back in the day all the best

But that being said I rarely go outside of anniversaries etc and I come from a family with a long history of mistrust with the church (not child abuse to be clear)

But I can recognise a relatively sound priest as I can recognise a organisation not to be trusted

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

A "papist" !

Is that you King Billy travelling in a time machine from 1690.
    Why do Southerners still attend mass when socially you are more liberal than Rome would like.

Why do Southerners still attend mass when socially you are more liberal than Rome would like.

For the free food and cool dance routines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Because munster folk are weird. Its a bit like why loyalists carry on with the oul hateful bigotry even when they know their queen does not approve of it I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

smokingman wrote: »
    I was always disappointed that the wafer at the end didn't taste like Pepperami or whatever that meat snack was. Body of christ me arse

Why would you be even there to take communion if it means nothing to you.

Or did you post this just to show how cool and edgy you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Not trying to be disrespectful (all this "I didn't go to mass" bravado is embarrassing to me, an atheist) but I genuinely was disappointed with the communion wafer as I thought it was a Silvermint. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Zimmey

Because calling atheists fools is so much better? Insulting people for believing isn't on, I agree, but why do you think it's OK to call non-religious folk fools?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I find this pretty offensive:

It's like that Scientology documentary Going Clear but for the Catholic Church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Is it just for old people who just go and talk sh1te in the porch??

I went at Xmas as it was nice to have chats with friends etc back for Xmas and rather amazingly the priest is very good craic and not overly conservative around here....cracking jokes etc,drinking gambling regularly and kinda open secret he has a girlfriend and he used wish the very odd couple who were going for civil partnerships back in the day all the best

But that being said I rarely go outside of anniversaries etc and I come from a family with a long history of mistrust with the church (not child abuse to be clear)

But I can recognise a relatively sound priest as I can recognise a organisation not to be trusted

It's genuinely nice to hear this but do you not see the irony of championing a priest who is openly flouting the rules of his religion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Zimmey wrote: »
    Because calling atheists fools is so much better? Insulting people for believing isn't on, I agree, but why do you think it's OK to call non-religious folk fools?

Actually, they got that one covered,it's from their holy book- "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.":rolleyes:

It's genuinely nice to hear this but do you not see the irony of championing a priest who is openly flouting the rules of his religion!

I do see the irony :pac:

But the gf aside (stupid rule)...I don't think he actually openly flaunts the rules...maybe pushes them and holds a modern interpretation

But surly it's better to have like of him vs some old fart droning on about old long gone times..

....like I don't go often....but the only time I ever heard him complain was at the sisters wedding that he couldn't go drinking as he'd to say mass that evening :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The atheist bandwagon certainly like to think they are great when in fact they are the fools.

What's "the atheist bandwagon"?

Azalea wrote: »
    Not trying to be disrespectful (all this "I didn't go to mass" bravado is embarrassing to me, an atheist) but I genuinely was disappointed with the communion wafer as I thought it was a Silvermint. :o

Wait, are you saying you, an atheist, went to mass and received communion? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

catbear wrote: »
    Well I find it offensive every time your cult judges people in this tolerant society, didn't voices from the vatican call the marriage vote a disaster for humanity?
    Seriously, do a reality check, you're in a cult.

Funnily enough not everyone in the country supported gay marriage as can be seen by the vote and they were far from all active catholics who voted no. The majority did say yes (thankfully) but it doesn't make everyone who said no part of some cult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Zimmey wrote: »

I think there are a few morons around who think that being an atheist makes them automatically smarter. In my opinion it's one of the primary reasons why atheism is still on the fringes despite all the **** ups church did. A club full of middle class, middle intelligence men who never really experienced hardship probably differs from top clergy only in the amount of money they have. Church still shades them in that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    Nobody but nobody has as much interest in religion as dome of the so called atheists you'll find on boards on any thread to do with Catholiscm!
    It's staggering and it always makes me laugh!
    What's really funny is the comments intended to insult Catholiscm and Catholics, which they think are cool and witty and cutting edge , but which are , quite clearly, reminiscent of cowardly schoolyard bullies with the IQ of a gnat, shouting "Hey fatty bum bum "across the yard
    You won't find them on any Islamist themed threads
    They'd be absolutely sh***ing themselves
    The RCC is the easy target, as the poor simple amadan child in the yard used to be
    Real atheists I know cringe with embarresment and just don't spend as much time thinking about things they say they don't believe in
    But go ahead there your giving us all a good laugh on a wet evening!

Nobody but nobody has as much interest in religion as dome of the so called atheists you'll find on boards on any thread to do with Catholiscm!
    What's really funny is the comments intended to insult Catholiscm and Catholics, which they think are cool and witty and cutting edge , but which are , quite clearly, reminiscent of cowardly schoolyard bullies with the IQ of a gnat, shouting "Hey fatty bum bum "across the yard
    The RCC is the easy target, as the poor simple amadan child in the yard used to be
    Real atheists I know cringe with embarresment and just don't spend as much time thinking about things they say they don't believe in

Atheists think all religions are ridiculous, which they are, you do not need to be part of any religion to live a good life, in fact you would probably live a better life by not belonging to any religion, if you were say christian you may be influenced by the bible and hate gay people or judge people for having children out of marriage, where as atheists are generally more liberal and wouldn't care who is gay or who has children when not married.

why would atheists be afraid to make fun of Islam?? especially on a forum like boards, what is the worst that could happen?:confused:

Amusingly, you have 5 times more posts in the Atheism forum than the Christianity forum.

By the way, what's a real atheist?

Edited to add: Hey, it's 6 times more, but then I've only the IQ of a gnat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Atheists think all religions are ridiculous, which they are, you do not need to be part of any religion to live a good life, in fact you would probably live a better life by not belonging to any religion, if you were say christian you may be influenced by the bible and hate gay people or judge people for having children out of marriage, where as atheists are generally more liberal and wouldn't care who is gay or who has children when not married.

why would atheists be afraid to make fun of Islam?? especially on a forum like boards, what is the worst that could happen?:confused:

You'd probably be site banned for saying a fraction of the things you can get away with saying about the RCC.

If you can direct me to a post where an "atheist" is ridiculing Islam in the insulting puerile incontinent manner you see on this thread evil twin I will be forever in your debt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Azalea wrote: »
    People simply not having belief in a religious deity amaze you?

Wrong.

People not believing in a religious diety and taking the piss out of it, amazes me.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Amusingly, you have 5 times more posts in the Atheism forum than the Christianity forum.

By the way, what's a real atheist?

Edited to add: Hey, it's 6 times more, but then I've only the IQ of a gnat.

As I've said already, there's endless laughs to be had reading atheists(no belief in any religion ya know, too too clever) views about Catholiscm then any other forum on Boards so that probably explains that
    It's not rocket science

• Advertisement

If you can direct me to a post where an "atheist" is ridiculing Islam in the insulting puerile incontinent manner you see on this thread evil twin I will be forever in your debt!

I don't see what point you are trying to make, I never once said that atheists attack Islam on boards, I said I don't see why they would not attack it. No one here even mentioned Islam did they? why have you a chip on your shoulder about Islam?

Advertisement