Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What time will you start your Christmas dinner?

• 24-12-2015 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

What time will you get stuck into your Christmas dinner?

And feel free to describe what you're going to enjoy (or not) as the case might be.

Turkey, Ham, Goose?, Pork, Nutroast maybe? Fish?
    Roast potatoes, sprouts (yes or no)?

What time will you get stuck into your Christmas dinner? 142 votes

12 pm
    0% 0 votes
    01 pm
    2% 3 votes
    02 pm
    7% 11 votes
    03 pm
    17% 25 votes
    04 pm
    33% 47 votes
    05 pm
    23% 34 votes
    *Other . . . .
    15% 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Around 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

3 pm... ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

About 4, have to vist my mother, grandchildren ,children first, Every year I promise not to eat to much before the dinner and every year I fail,

There is turkey chicken ham brussel sprouts potatoes and roast potatoes also carrots followed by icecream, chocolate cake and more icecream;

January is the gym I promise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

About 2pm. My sister in law is cooking so whenever she says to rock on over is ok with me! I'll stock up on roast potatoes, veg (I fecking love mushy peas), gravy and glorious glorious stuffing. Not a turkey and ham fan, maybe just a slice.

Damn I'm hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

We'll have the dinner at half eight in the morning so we'll have a clear run at the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

We'll have the dinner at half eight in the morning so we'll have a clear run at the day.
    I was just thinking about that Pat Shorrt quote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Half one ish.
    Turkey, ham, Bazmo's stuffing balls, carrot/parsnip mash, roast potatoes, gratin pots, sprouts, gravy mushrooms n onions,
    Have cheesecake in fridge, pudding n ice cream later.
    No wine til kids are in bed.

I simply can't wait

Happy Christmas everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

about 4... starved!

Whenever we're hungry I guess
    steak and chips won't take long to cook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

About 2 PM.

Smoked salmon, prawn cocktail, and asparagus soup or mushroom soup for starters

Turkey, ham, stuffing, gravy, mash, roast. croquettes, carrots, peas, brussel sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower
    Followed Kevin Dundons receipe on the turkey this year.

Desert is usually copious bowls of home made trifle and plumb pud and custard. I made 8 bowels of trifle this year.

The dinner I get is so massive it's usually on a sort of platter. Usually take a photo every year.

Roll out of the room 2 hours later.

Afterwards have some Christmas cake and coffee. Make only 2 cakes some months ago.

Currently lacing into the practice turkey I cook the night before. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It's always supposed to be 1.30pm, but they're a bunch of slackers so normally don't get grub until 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

It usually takes until half 4 just to get the meal cooked and 6 before it is finally all eaten.:pac: It is an ordeal and that's not long before tea time.:D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Aim for 3, might be 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Since i'm home alone, its a highly nutritious microwavable macaroni and cheese dinner for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

2pm Prawn cocktail vol e vonts fir starter then Roast chicken, Honey and mustard Ham, brocolli cheese bake, Creamy mash,Duck fat roast potatoes,honey roast parsnip, Carrots, Yorkshire Pudding and lots and lots of Stuffing and Gravy. Followed by Chocolate fondants with vanilla Ice cream, Eton mess and baileys coffees eeeeeek cant wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Just **burpp** finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I'm working till 7 so hopefully they will have it ready just when I get home.

northgirl wrote: »
    about 4... starved!
    afatbollix wrote: »
    I'm working till 7 so hopefully they will have it ready just when I get home.

You work on Christmas Day! Surely your boss is not Ebenezer Scrooge.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I'm in Brazil where they have it on Christmas Eve so just about to start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Someone has to keep the lights on, Fix the people who are a bit ill, Stop the fights over a bit of cold dinner and the fire men who put out the candle fires.

A friend of mine is a nurse in a pediatrics ICU, She is doing the night shift tomorrow night. Even though it might be a bit crap for her the familys she is looking after are more than likely at the lowest point in their lives.

Fair feck to every single one of them.

• Advertisement

afatbollix wrote: »
    Someone has to keep the lights on, Fix the people who are a bit ill, Stop the fights over a bit of cold dinner and the fire men who put out the candle fires.

A friend of mine is a nurse in a pediatrics ICU, She is doing the night shift tomorrow night. Even though it might be a bit crap for her the familys she is looking after are more than likely at the lowest point in their lives.

Fair feck to every single one of them.

Oh yeah! I should have remembered all the rescue services on standby without them we would never be able to enjoy the festive occasion without the good work these people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    It usually takes until half 4 just to get the meal cooked and 6 before it is finally all eaten.:pac: It is an ordeal and that's not long before tea time.:D

Not till six pm!

My God you must be really salivating & drooling by then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Aiming for 3, but likely 4.

Roast sprouts with all the trimmings.

P.S. Should I have a 3rd glass? :D

P.P.S. Why no drunk smiley?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Marcusm wrote: »
    I'm in Brazil where they have it on Christmas Eve so just about to start!

Feliz natal. Have a Skol for me ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 137 ✭✭MaryAntoinette

When my husband sobers up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

As soon as I get to shoot down a raindeer I can start butchering it and get it in the oven. No sign of Santa yet though so it might get dragged out a bit. Come on you fat ****, hurry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

When my husband sobers up.

that sounds sad. Hope the husband gets the professional help he requires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The day is mine! I can decide whenever.. blissful solitude. A family day for so many and will pay visits later when there is space.... too ill anyways so that is fine....depends too on when I light the range. Keeping ESB to a minimum and enjoying doing so; have not used the electric oven since this time last year.. will probably do so today! Traditional here.. but not a whole turkey.. My special recipe white meat sandwiched with stuffing and cranberry, tented in foil to make succulent.. roast potatoes, roast parsnips and roast carrots, and sprouts, gravy...one course is enough for me so, later, mince pies, trifle etc. Made the Irish cream liqueur last evening and it is wonderful,, half the price of Baileys and took all of two minutes..Love Christmas dinner. love Christmas..

Since i'm home alone, its a highly nutritious microwavable macaroni and cheese dinner for me.

Enjoy! I have a Dunnes turkey and ham meal in the freezer, my insurance against being too ill to cook today.. it was half price and good insurance,, You deserve the best as I do; wish you were nearer as there is plenty here...

• Advertisement

Around 5 or 6pm usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

We sit down to have it at 8am so we can get a clear run at the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Will start at 3....

Will stop around 12

Flaccus wrote: »
    About 2 PM.

Smoked salmon, prawn cocktail, and asparagus soup or mushroom soup for starters

Turkey, ham, stuffing, gravy, mash, roast. croquettes, carrots, peas, brussel sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower
    Followed Kevin Dundons receipe on the turkey this year.

Desert is usually copious bowls of home made trifle and plumb pud and custard. I made 8 bowels of trifle this year.

The dinner I get is so massive it's usually on a sort of platter. Usually take a photo every year.

Roll out of the room 2 hours later.

Afterwards have some Christmas cake and coffee. Make only 2 cakes some months ago.

Currently lacing into the practice turkey I cook the night before. :)

Interesting typo...

Decision made... we have lift off... so cold today the oven will help heat the house so it will be noon ish here...SHIVERS!!! DISASTER.. no sprinkles for the trifle.. if i eat early plenty of time for the home made Irish cream...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

2ish. Lambs lettuce with apple and walnuts. Goose with stuffing (brioche, apple, celery, onion, chestnuts and thyme) roast potatoes, red cabbage. Later Stollen, cookies and coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Around 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

3.30 apparently....possibly....hopefully as I'm not eating any lunch at lunchtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Start at half 1 and probably get stuck around 2.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Half 1. Turkey with rashers on it, roast spuds in goose fat, stuffing balls, roast carrots and parsnips and broccoli. Homemade roulade for dessert. Washed down with lots of wine

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

In 20 minutes, so the cook has told me.

• Advertisement

Trifle etc will follow much later; can only manage one course at a meal.... makes the pleasure last..Home made Baileys next..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭rtron

Leave me alone to eat my dinner - Time of this post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I normally have our dinner cooked and ready on the table at 10am; we devour this and then do presents which takes us up to 12pm. At this point we nap on the couch with a father ted box set playing on the TV. By 3/4pm we get a second wind and have a second christmas dinner which is essentially the exact same as the 10am feast. By 6pm we crack open the gin and whiskey while the fire roars as do the karaoke songs. At 9pm we all pass out in the living room and wake up at various times over the night and fall upstairs to our beds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I normally have our dinner cooked and ready on the table at 10am; we devour this and then do presents which takes us up to 12pm. At this point we nap on the couch with a father ted box set playing on the TV. By 3/4pm we get a second wind and have a second christmas dinner which is essentially the exact same as the 10am feast. By 6pm we crack open the gin and whiskey while the fire roars as do the karaoke songs. At 9pm we all pass out in the living room and wake up at various times over the night and fall upstairs to our beds. I actually spend Christmas alone and pretend I'm in a different country when my family ask if I'm home for Christmas.

I normally have our dinner cooked and ready on the table at 10am; we devour this and then do presents which takes us up to 12pm. At this point we nap on the couch with a father ted box set playing on the TV. By 3/4pm we get a second wind and have a second christmas dinner which is essentially the exact same as the 10am feast. By 6pm we crack open the gin and whiskey while the fire roars as do the karaoke songs. At 9pm we all pass out in the living room and wake up at various times over the night and fall upstairs to our beds.

Post of the year :D

Has to be a p1ss take, I'm laughing my bollix off reading it

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

dinner done and dusted.

listening to the lizard telling us her great grandmother Victoria invented the Christmas tree now.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

About 7 or 8pm. I can't think of any other family that has the dinner so late. Means I'll have to catch Doctor Who tomorrow....

At least the appetite will be up!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭acon2119

Dinner at 4-4.30. Fillet steak, Potato gratin, mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts, carrots, broccoli, peas, and a choice of mushroom or pepper sauce.

For desert: Choice of sticky toffee pudding, or chocolate pudding, with fresh cream or ice cream.

Tomorrow is the traditional Turkey dinner in my home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Was planning it for about three-ish, but it's such a glooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuusssssss sunny day here :cool: everything's on hold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Was supposed to be at 4 but relatives just arrived for a visit. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement