Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP home download required

• 24-12-2015 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi

I have lost my windows XP CD, but have the product keys and would like to reinstall windows XP, can anyone point in the right direction of where I can take down a legal and genuine version please

I have done a quick search but have found anything on microsoft

Cheers

Ray

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

<snip no links>

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hoagy wrote: »
    [URL=nope

I know options are limited for XP at this point, but I wouldn't trust that site at all, god only knows what they could've put into that install image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭razor12345

Fysh wrote: »
    I know options are limited for XP at this point, but I wouldn't trust that site at all, god only knows what they could've put into that install image.

Cheers, any ideas where I could get a genuine copy?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

razor12345 wrote: »
    Ask friends/family/IT guys at work

Random downloads are just too scary to trust these days.

plan B is to check and see if your computer has a factory restore image.
    this would be brand specific

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

As per the Capt. Midnight's post, there are no general online sources I'd trust any more because XP is way past its expiration date.

So if you have your product key and know which version you need, ask anyone you know who works for a medium or large-sized organisation. If they have (or have had) an MSDN subscription at work, they may have retained XP install images and be able to help you out. Banks in particular tend to have loads of legacy systems and so are more likely to have old install media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭homingbird

Do you really need xp as you can download win 10 free till june so why not look up a copy of win 7 or 8 dodgy or not & go straight to win 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭razor12345

homingbird wrote: »
    Do you really need xp as you can download win 10 free till june so why not look up a copy of win 7 or 8 dodgy or not & go straight to win 10.

Cheers, but HP have a promotion on trading in old laptops with XP until the 31st,

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭homingbird

Cheers, but HP have a promotion on trading in old laptops with XP until the 31st,

Cheers

Ok i would say you are alright then as it has a xp licence it should cover you could trade it in with ubuntu on it to show the laptop works as xp is not supported anymore they wouldnt expect you too still have it on it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

homingbird wrote: »
    [MOD]
    Just in case, you can't go to 10 from XP or Vista or a dodgy copy of anything. :mad:

Advertisement