Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Christmas and a clear sky with a lovely Full Moon

Options
  • 24-12-2015 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

First, let me thank you for sharing the information, resources and feelings with all of us ,here infected with the astro (visual and / or photo) virus.
    Secondly...did you see the beautiful full Moon tonight, did you have the chance, between shopping and presents (some people's stress of Xmas not Christmas) and few clouds on a cold crystal clear sky !?

I would like to propose a back in time travel and see if today's astronomical sky and stars / planets are the same as more than 2000 years ago.

Can we identify the sky layout and identify the magic star that guided the three wise men to the place of Jesus birth ?
    Is it possible that the sky position 2000 years ago had an impact on our lives ...today ?
    Can we "blame or credit" the sky, planets, stars and whatever energy /matter is out there for our cold, distant and disrespectful humans relationships on out beautiful blue planet ?
    Can we predict / forecast the future based on ,lets say position of Mars or Venus next day(s)
    And not lastly, do not forget ,for those that had read the Holy Bible that we are saying our Father / Lord that live in Heaven...and point our humble eyes up above in the deep sky...

Basic analysis, without judging the religion, in which personal deeply my individual build I believe.

Many wishes ,respect, kindness and lovely clear sky ahead to all of us and our family !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

A happy and joyful Christmas to one and all.

A lot of questions there you have rolion!!!

On the Astronomy side... today's full moon is the first full moon on the 25th December since 1977 apparently.

The next full moon for 25th December will not be until 2034.

So today's full moon is rather special indeed. Truly awe inspiring Astronomy is.

On the slightly religious side of your questions....

From what I know... the star which guided the three wise men to Bethlehem was not a astronomical object as we currently understand it. It was not a comet, or supernova or special type of star which just so happened to be around at the time Jesus was born.

Therefore... mapping the cosmos / today's sky at night.... and rewinding the clock using computers and software etc etc will not show up the star or comet which was in that place at that time etc.

On the religious side of the Three Wise Men.... well we are slightly going off topic here as this is the Astronomy & Space forum... but from what little I know... the significance of the 3 wise men is this.

1) They were from the East.
    2) They were seers / leaders from people of other religions / belief systems.
    3) The significance of their visit was to show that Jesus came for all people, of all faiths...... for all of human kind. Jesus did not just come for Christians or Christian believers. Jesus came for all persons on Earth.

Anyway Folks have a great Christmas, enjoy the beauty of the Universe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

I can't remember or find the documentary I saw on this very philosophical topic but it is believe either a supernova did occur around this time 2000-odd years ago (without discussing the inaccuracy of the RC calendar due to scriptures & scholars) which astrologers (the then astronomers who combined the religious side of ancient times with science) at the time in Babylon or Mesopotamia (cite needed for a lot of this) considered was the birth of a new born king (or deity)
    They showed that scientists were trying to detect the remains of the radiation rays caused by the suspected erruption. If I do come across it again (I think bbc or YouTube) I shall share the knowledge
    May the force be with you

Advertisement