Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Installing gpu card now pc won't turn on!

Options
  • 24-12-2015 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Help needed

I was installing a gfx 750 ti and could not get that turn on fans wouldn't move

Now the pc won't start - just one led flash when I try to turn it on?

I can't look in the psu because it's a metal box with no screws !

What have I done?

Any advice please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

If you powered down the whole case and psu. Check to see if your motherboard has a power switch and reset button hit these and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭pittsburgh

Checked too see it every was contected on the mother board .

It is a a68hm grenade don't think there is a power switch on it ?

Very frustrated do you think I've done something to the psu? It's a 500w

It is getting power because I can see the blue led, fan spins for a second. But turns off straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Could be a short. Take out the new gpu and see what happens.

Do not open up the psu as you could get a nasty or fatal shock if its not discharged first.

Adding a gpu shouldnt damage anything so go back a few steps and look at it again. Its also good to step away from it and take a break and then look at the issue then.

I actually had no even added it yet, couldn't get it too power up. Now pc won't start st all with or without it

Whip out the psu and plug it in on your table. Do the fans spin and do the leds if there are any do anything?
    Do you have access to another psu?

• Advertisement

No lights or fans without psu.

Don't have spare psu

pittsburgh wrote: »
    No lights or fans without psu.

Don't have spare psu
    sorry i meant lighths or fans on the psu itself.

Redfox25 wrote: »
    sorry i meant lighths or fans on the psu itself.

No lights or fans moving in psu

When I turn it on cpu fan moves for half a second and led light flashes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Check all your cables are in place and firmly at that. Make sure you have both motherboard connectors connected up. Take out the ram and reseat it. Try one stick at a time if you have two. Make sure your CPu cooler is properly seated. You can try the paper clip test for the psu too to check its ok. You can also take the whole thing out of the case and build it on a box which would rule out any shorting of the motherboard on the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixcWCrYpw3Y

Hi

1. I have checked all cables in motherboard correctly

Could it have been to do with, in the one of the attempts to turn on the computer to see if the graphics card fan was moving - the computer did start up as normal but one of the times i pressed the power switch while the pc was on its side, and it cut out - and since that all i get is a blue flash from led light and cpu fan spins for half a second and off.

the card is http://www.ebay.ie/itm/111734778386?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

the card came with one these connectors i tried to plug the two ends into two free connectors i found is that correct? it was not getting power anyway before the pc stopped starting http://www.stuartconnections.com/en/power-supply/2724-4pin-to-6pin-PCIe-Express-Video-Card-Power-Adapter.html

All the components are only 2 weeks ago - working up until i tried to install this gpu card.

I have read resetting cmos might work ? If i do this will the overclocking off my cpu be gone? It was overclocked to 4.2 by the company i bought it off, but it is only a 3.3 ghz ( amd a8 7650k)

Any other recommendations - i will try the paper clip test tonight, but i am not comfortable removing all the front panel cables (power, reset, front usb and audio) cables and i dont think i will be able to get them back in..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What model is the 500W psu? It would have to be a real piece of crap to not have it's own pci-e 6pin connector at that wattage.

There should be no need to use a 2xmolex to 6pin adaptor.

What model is the 500W psu? It would have to be a real piece of crap to not have it's own pci-e 6pin connector at that wattage.

There should be no need to use a 2xmolex to 6pin adaptor.

I will post model up when I'm home

Do you think resetting the cmos jumpers will do anything? Also will this remove the over lock to 4.2ghz the company I bought the pc off set it too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'm fairly sure yeah. The overclock isn't making or breaking the PC, and its easy to reapply anyways

I'm fairly sure yeah. The overclock isn't making or breaking the PC, and its easy to reapply anyways

Thanks for that , could it help with getting the pc to start back up?

Stuck for options here . thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Its normally my first port of call when I brook something, it can help

Thanks for the help got the pc to turn on taking out the mobo battery and back in worked

Installed graphics card, all grand, display came on, installed drivers, restarted etc

Resolution is saying it is at 1024x768 (native) but there is no way it is, it is all zoomed in and looks horrible

I have tried to uninstall drivers and reinstall and the same-

Windows 10
    geforce gtx 750 ti

Anyone have any recommendations?
    edit strange thing it has the correct resolution in-games only the desktop is all the icons etc zoomed in and doesnt look great - iv have checked that icon settings are default 100%

Advertisement