Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Skylake now vs. AMD Zen in 2016?

Options
  • 25-12-2015 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Looking to upgrade from my current rig at home

i7 2700K
    GTX 970 4 gb EVGA
    16 gb RAM
    480 GB Intel SSD + 2 TB HDD
    Windows 10 OS

Would you recommend going Intel Skylake now, or would it be worth waiting for AMD zen at this point?

Skylake or Zen? 5 votes

Skylake
    0% 0 votes
    Zen
    100% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If it's for gaming you'll have no difference after the upgrade, I wouldn't bother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Simi

Anxious as I am to see Zen, I seriously doubt it's going to pose a significant challenge to Skylake. AMD need to gain a lot of ground to catch up and I just can't see Zen beating Skylake. Plus this!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

i7-2700k should remain high-tier for a long time to come, especially if OCd. Its graphics that have taken a hammering and will be most people's main system bottleneck, but... you already have a GTX970.

In all honesty, unless your home rig is regularly pasted by insanely high CPU-based tasks on a very regular basis the main system is rock solid. As for gaming the only reason to look beyond your current card is if you have the money and insanity needed to lust after monstrous unholy things like >>60fps 1440p or playable 4k.

Advertisement