Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walsh Park - 29th best GAA county ground in Ireland

Options
  • 25-12-2015 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭

According to a poll by Balls.ie, Walsh Park in Waterford city is the 29th best county ground in Ireland, an abysmal position, and seemingly disproportionate considering we are the 5th biggest city in the republic.

I think Walsh Park should be redeveloped, It might attract more opportunities for Waterford.

Should Walsh Park be redeveloped ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Patww79 wrote: »
    Do they ever fill the current one? Aughrim was even lower on the list but it's half empty for league games and club games and will never host a proper championship game, so there's little point in doing anything with it. I'd nearly assume Waterford would be similar.

If you build it they will come :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

A new stadium should be developed with proper car/bus parking facilities
    to host at least Munster Finals and some concerts but all this SHOULD have
    been done YEARS ago but the idiots in charge at local level couldn't see too
    far forward or even look westward towards Cork and the see what they were doing with Páirc Uí Chaoimh. http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/sisk-contractors-confirmed-for-70m-pairc-ui-chaoimh-development-365562.html

Too many heads stuck in 1959!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

A new stadium should be developed with proper car/bus parking facilities
    to host at least Munster Finals and some concerts but all this SHOULD have
    been done YEARS ago but the idiots in charge at local level couldn't see too
    far forward or even look westward towards Cork and the see what they were doing with Páirc Uí Chaoimh. http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/sisk-contractors-confirmed-for-70m-pairc-ui-chaoimh-development-365562.html

Too many heads stuck in 1959!

If Nolan Park can get Bruce Springsteen then we are surely missing out.It's not just in regards to the GAA grounds, but we have been missing a good quality entertainment venue too since the forum was turned into a zoo for octogenarians Bingo hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If Nolan Park can get Bruce Springsteen then we are surely missing out.It's not just in regards to the GAA grounds, but we have been missing a good quality entertainment venue too since the forum was turned into a zoo for octogenarians Bingo hall.

fair point but would we really support it if it was capable of putting on concerts? business owners in this town have tried and failed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Can't add anything but can I get a link to the poll op, can't find it on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Can't add anything but can I get a link to the poll op, can't find it on the site

Here you go:
    http://www.balls.ie/gaa/poll-rank-every-gaa-county-ground-in-the-country-to-find-the-nations-favourite/314477

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I would agree! The Quays are lying idol with a bus depot, a train station, plenty of hotels and a motor way running close enough to it.
    Surely the City should have enough clout to get something built to facilitate the construction of such?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

Walsh Park is the worse County ground I was ever in.

The wit sports campus should be given have a stadium built around it and just knock Walsh Park altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

deadybai wrote: »
    Walsh Park is the worse County ground I was ever in.

The wit sports campus should be given have a stadium built around it and just knock Walsh Park altogether

thats a good idea actually at least the locals wouldnt be plagued with traffic issues during games. maybe another use for walsh park could be found

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    thats a good idea actually at least the locals wouldnt be plagued with traffic issues during games. maybe another use for walsh park could be found

Apartments for the Syrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Should be leveled and sold off... re build some where beside the motorway, with plenty of parking..... nothing too outrageous, a nice 30,000 seater be good
    as other s said, if the likes of Nowlan Park can get some big names for concerts, why should Waterford City be missing out.....
    some high profile GAA games could be held..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Shoud it be redeveloped? Maybe, concrete the terraces and make it safe standing, maybe add some bucket plastic and remove wooden seating.

Knock it and rebuild it? No way, sure wed hardly get over 12k people at a league match and with regards hosting munster championship games, if we concreted all the terracing we could get the capacity up to 16k and have a home and away agreements with neigbouring counties. For instance if you look at Waterford v Clare v Limerick v Cork in munster 1/4 and semi finals i dont think they broke 15000 attendance.

For concerts etc i think the focus should be on a proper venue on the north quays etc, but cant see this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Nowlan Park is excellently situated for access and closeness to city centre. It also has great atmosphere. Only been in Walsh Park twice for Dub hurlers and it has none of the above. Am I correct in thinking it is more or less in middle of a housing estate?

All of the top grounds picked are within a few minutes walk of town centres. Other than Salthill which can be a nightmare to get in and out of traffic wise, and I've only been there for league games with 3/4,000. Must be absolute hell on big days.

My worst would be Casement. Awful dump, terrible to get in and out of, and not a decent pub within miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Patww79 wrote: »

Be hard to tell :)

I thought that the redevelopment plan had been stalled?

But you are correct, it is in terrible location, with basically only the Falls/Anderstown Road to get in and out by. Not the friendliest of people either and always found the local pubs and eateries to be kips. Perhaps they just don't like Dublin hurling people. Thankfully we are unlikely ever have to visit in foreseeable future :)

And not being Antrim by the way as Ballycastle, where we often played them up to the 1980s, is beautifully located and locals are sound hurling people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Be hard to tell :)

I thought that the redevelopment plan had been stalled?

But you are correct, it is in terrible location, with basically only the Falls/Anderstown Road to get in and out by. Not the friendliest of people either and always found the local pubs and eateries to be kips. Perhaps they just don't like Dublin hurling people. Thankfully we are unlikely ever have to visit in foreseeable future :)

And not being Antrim by the way as Ballycastle, where we often played them up to the 1980s, is beautifully located and locals are sound hurling people.

Casement is gone to rack and ruin at the moment. Im really surprised at what happened in Belfast, massive funding to develop windsor park, raven hill and casement park. i thought it would have been a great opportunity to build one world class 45 -55000 seater stadium for all sports with conference facilities and corporate boxes like the aviva and have the ability for massive concerts that would outweigh the demand of the odyssey arena. as it stands the redevolpnents of ravenhill and windsor has not had a massive bearing on capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

I think we should look at what the cost of building a modern, reasonably sized stadium would be and look at how much we could get for the sale of walsh Park. We should make plans and then at the last minute spend all of the money on minor upgrades to walsh Park and fraher field, so that we can continue to play two matches in walsh Park each year at 25% capacity and one in fraher field at about the same. And the odd football championship match in fraher that would fit in the wit sports campus.

It's the only logical thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Tipp & Cork, and Tipp & Limerick have home and away arrangements. Cork & Limerick probably do too.

Semple Stadium is the number 2 stadium in the country (officially as far as I know).

The Gaelic Grounds is capable of holding a Munster Final.

Pairc Ui Chaoimh is currently being redeveloped.

That's 3 40k+ stadiums in Munster for a tournament with 5 teams.

Is Ennis capable of holding a Munster Championship game? I don't think so so that rules them out of a home & away arrangement.

Could Waterford justify having a stadium that would host a game or two max each year with an anyway decent capacity?

The Co Board are broke. Ye sent players back to their clubs 18 months ago as ye couldn't afford to train. Where does the money come from?

As far as I know Walsh Park cannot be redeveloped. There just isn't the land there to do it. It would have to move, but where to? Carriganore is way too far out. There isn't a site feasible within walking distance of the City.

How many concerts would be there? One per year? Two, max? Waterford people are terrible at supporting live music. There's a reason The Forum is now a bingo hall. The Co Board would lose less money if they subsidised a bus to Croker for their concerts each year than built a stadium to host one of their own.

How many would you fit in Walsh Park for a concert? 15k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

looder wrote: »
    Tipp & Cork, and Tipp & Limerick have home and away arrangements. Cork & Limerick probably do too.

Semple Stadium is the number 2 stadium in the country (officially as far as I know).

The Gaelic Grounds is capable of holding a Munster Final.

Pairc Ui Chaoimh is currently being redeveloped.

That's 3 40k+ stadiums in Munster for a tournament with 5 teams.

Is Ennis capable of holding a Munster Championship game? I don't think so so that rules them out of a home & away arrangement.

Could Waterford justify having a stadium that would host a game or two max each year with an anyway decent capacity?

The Co Board are broke. Ye sent players back to their clubs 18 months ago as ye couldn't afford to train. Where does the money come from?

As far as I know Walsh Park cannot be redeveloped. There just isn't the land there to do it. It would have to move, but where to? Carriganore is way too far out. There isn't a site feasible within walking distance of the City.

How many concerts would be there? One per year? Two, max? Waterford people are terrible at supporting live music. There's a reason The Forum is now a bingo hall. The Co Board would lose less money if they subsidised a bus to Croker for their concerts each year than built a stadium to host one of their own.

How many would you fit in Walsh Park for a concert? 15k?

even waterfords own Gilbert O Sullivan wont play in waterford because he cant get the numbers to support a gig here hes one of irelands best known and highest selling musicans). The only music event to sell out in Waterford over the last few years is when smash hits play crystal niteclub. Even Daytripper struggles to sell tickets. Anyone remember the Waterford music fest out in the RSC ???. as many people were across the road at the pc world car park and surrounding areas than there was at the show itself id say lol.

Im a huge gig goer and there are many avid gig goers from Waterford that attend gigs all over ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

PTH2009 wrote: »
    even waterfords own Gilbert O Sullivan wont play in waterford because he cant get the numbers to support a gig here hes one of irelands best known and highest selling musicans). The only music event to sell out in Waterford over the last few years is when smash hits play crystal niteclub. Even Daytripper struggles to sell tickets. Anyone remember the Waterford music fest out in the RSC ???. as many people were across the road at the pc world car park and surrounding areas than there was at the show itself id say lol.

Im a huge gig goer and there are many avid gig goers from Waterford that attend gigs all over ireland

I don't think it's as simple as blaming Waterford people. Gigs in Dublin and Cork absolutely rely on people from all over the country coming and adding to the numbers, people from places like Waterford. They have the infrastructure to get people people there and allow people to stay over night cheaply if needed. Me and my friends would have always stayed in a hostel in cork or Dublin for a gig and it would have allowed us to afford the whole thing. You can't do that here.

Even in Kilkenny if you go to a gig you can stay in a hostel. Also it comes down to attractiveness. A few years ago, nobody would have come here (we have a bad rep, or no rep) but the city has transformed and I think people are starting to recognise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

O Riain wrote: »

I don't think it's as simple as blaming Waterford people. Gigs in Dublin and Cork absolutely rely on people from all over the country coming and adding to the numbers, people from places like Waterford. They have the infrastructure to get people people there and allow people to stay over night cheaply if needed. Me and my friends would have always stayed in a hostel in cork or Dublin for a gig and it would have allowed us to afford the whole thing. You can't do that here.

Even in Kilkenny if you go to a gig you can stay in a hostel. Also it comes down to attractiveness. A few years ago, nobody would have come here (we have a bad rep, or no rep) but the city has transformed and I think people are starting to recognise that.[/quote/]

True do we even have many hostels in Waterford. Compare the city centre to other major Irish cities u could walk ours in under 10 mins. Would an idea like the marquee in cork work in Waterford where medium to major acts can play here. At the site of the demolished gasworks on the quays would be good

O Riain wrote: »

Even in Kilkenny if you go to a gig you can stay in a hostel. Also it comes down to attractiveness. A few years ago, nobody would have come here (we have a bad rep, or no rep) but the city has transformed and I think people are starting to recognise that.[/quote/]

True do we even have many hostels in Waterford. Compare the city centre to other major Irish cities u could walk ours in under 10 mins. Would an idea like the marquee in cork work in Waterford where medium to major acts can play here. At the site of the demolished gasworks on the quays would be good

Size doesn't matter, you could walk across Galway and limerick in 10 minutes too. And now we don't have any genuine youth hostels. Portree says its a hostrl but seems more like a b n b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Pity we can't get Gilbert to pay in his own hometown !:(

Jesus this thread went downhill fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I must admit I’m not that big into the Hurling/Football. However the standard of Walsh Park is something that has always bugged me. For somewhere the size of Waterford to have such a poor GAA ground is truly embarrassing. What kind of impression of Waterford does it give to people from around the country coming down to games to walk into that place? It’s certainly not a good one anyway!

BBM77 wrote: »
    I must admit I’m not that big into the Hurling/Football. However the standard of Walsh Park is something that has always bugged me. For somewhere the size of Waterford to have such a poor GAA ground is truly embarrassing. What kind of impression of Waterford does it give to people from around the country coming down to games to walk into that place? It’s certainly not a good one anyway!

No not a good one. We need a championship standard stadium in the city centre. The benefits to hotels, bars, restaurants etc. will follow then soon after. I know the practicality of putting it outside the centred is very attractive but we can say goodbye to any benefit to the centre of town if it goes outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

BBM77 wrote: »

The size of waterford? Remember it's a county ground, not a town one. And we're about the 20th biggest county, so shouldn't expect an above average sized ground. And we are keeping two county grounds, not one, so it's understandable that we can't afford a decent one.

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    The size of waterford? Remember it's a county ground, not a town one. And we're about the 20th biggest county, so shouldn't expect an above average sized ground. And we are keeping two county grounds, not one, so it's understandable that we can't afford a decent one.

Sure the soccer team only use one ground and there is no issue. The GAA and the Waterford setup would be well served by a bigger better stadium. A 25000 seater stadium would be plenty for GAA needs. Fraher Field is there purely to keep the west of the county happy which imo is a silly thing to be doing. One less ground to look after if Fraher was sold on. The money from the sale and maybe a grant from GAA Hq might just go a long way to redevelop Walsh park or maybe build another stadium.

Advertisement