Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options
  • 25-12-2015 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭

Mod:People, Please bare in mind that sports threads usually go in their respective fora - which already have effective, established rules in place suited to their content. We're letting this thread go ahead for now, but keep it light, Galway United related talk for the fans. Expect to get infracted for trolling if you're only here to shit stir. /Mod

As always, report a post if you think there is a problem with it, attacking other posters will not end well for you.

Seeing as Biko is killing last seasons one then its time for the new season's effort. All the best to GUFC fans this Xmas, id take staying up again as a Xmas present right now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Hopefully the new kit deal with Uhlsport will mean that 1. the or all of the clubs merchandise will be easier to get a hold of and 2. a lot more reasonable when it comes to pricing.

Elvery's were or are atrocious when it comes to stock/sizes and the guts of 60 euro for a light short sleeved training top?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Johnny Glynn is still with us for the 2016 u19 season.

Good to see training has already started and trials are ongoing, although I imagine it will be a while yet before squads have to be finalised.

Minus the lads that are now over age, he'll already have a good idea who is making the grade. Up to the young lads hoping to step up to change his mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

How many from last years squad are definitely not returning ? Garcia Oji Keegan ? Any more

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

youngrun wrote: »
    How many from last years squad are definitely not returning ? Garcia Oji Keegan ? Any more
    That Scandinavian lad is gone too i'd imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Unsigned players from last years squad
    Alex Byrne
    Andy O'Connell
    Conor Barry
    David O'Leary
    Enda Curran
    Ger Hanley
    Jake Keegan
    Jason Molloy
    Sam Oji
    Tomi Saarelma
    Antoine O'Laoi

I think the club are keen on keeping Byrne for sure. Curran and Hanley are maybes I've heard.

The rest I don't think are being retained..

Thought O Connell and O leary did reasonably well last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭baldshin

Couple of preseason friendlies announced-

February 13th UCD - Fahy's Field, Mervue 3.00pm
    February 20th Shelbourne - Eamonn Deacy Park 3.00pm
    February 23rd Longford Town - City Calling Stadium 7.45pm
    February 27th Limerick - Markets Field 6.30pm

Thought O Connell and O leary did reasonably well last year
    O'Connell was looking decent before he got injured, but he returned badly out of shape and unfit and he was no addition in the second half of the season.

O'Leary was a great disappointment IMO. I expected a lot more from him, after the midseason break he was desperate.

The signing of John Sullivan probably rules out either of those returning. You have Connolly, Sullivan, Sinnott, presumably Byrne and maybe an U19 player like McConnell. So United are well covered in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Curran will be a loss (despite his attitude) if he doesn't return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Hopefully the new kit deal with Uhlsport will mean that 1. the or all of the clubs merchandise will be easier to get a hold of and 2. a lot more reasonable when it comes to pricing.

Elvery's were or are atrocious when it comes to stock/sizes and the guts of 60 euro for a light short sleeved training top?

Elverys will be still supplying the kit I would think but it will be the Uhlsport brand rather than Macron. I think the cost and availability was all down to Macron. I was looking for a couple of jerseys during the year and was told it was down to Macron delaying on manufacturing and they couldn't get hold of kit and training wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Hopefully the Jerseys will be a little cheaper than last year. €65 was a little steep.Reckon if you kept them around €50 you would sell more.

I don't think the club can do much about the price. It's not like they are buying massive quantities. It costs what it costs, although it would be nice if it was a little cheaper all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Curran will be a loss (despite his attitude) if he doesn't return.

I agree that, if possible, he would be worth retaining. He's a good finisher whose strike at home against Drogheda was among the best goals of last season. However, I don't think he's as good as he thinks he is. His general workrate, for example, could be a lot better. If everyone was fit, I'd start Faherty and Cunningham up front and keep Curran as an option off the bench.

The result of the vote on the 3rd jersey is up.

Mention of on an online shop coming mentioned at bottom of the article as well.

Ruairi Keating and Kevin Devaney signed at the beginning of the week. Great to see the squad complete apart from one or two faces, only a week into pre-season.

If I'm not mistaken, there were only 10 players signed this time last year.

Andy O'Connell has moved back to Cobh. For a lad of 22, he doesn't have much in the way of game time. Hopefully he can stay injury free and get that run back at Cobh.

Ruairi Keating and Kevin Devaney signed at the beginning of the week. Great to see the squad complete apart from one or two faces, only a week into pre-season.

If I'm not mistaken, there were only 10 players signed this time last year.

Andy O'Connell has moved back to Cobh. For a lad of 22, he doesn't have much in the way of game time. Hopefully he can stay injury free and get that run back at Cobh.

I don't know much about Keating but heard positive reports on Devaney from someone who watched him a lot at Bohs. Looking forward to the new season now - shame it's still six more weeks away! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

According to the Twitter feed there is another signing tonight

• Advertisement

Ruairi Keating, Vinny Faherty, Padraic Cunningham and Enda Curran all on the books now, along with Kevin Devaney who seems to have been signed as a winger but can also play up front. Scoring goals shouldn't be a major problem. If a take-no-prisoners central defender was added it would set the team up nicely.

How did the Co-op AGM go , was away and missed it. Does this run the club now ?

No. It had and still has a minority on the Galway United board.

There will be 11 board members.

The Co-op will have 4 board members. Then there will be two from Mervue United, two from Salthill Devon, two from the GFA and then the Chairman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

There will be 11 board members.

The Co-op will have 4 board members. Then there will be two from Mervue United, two from Salthill Devon, two from the GFA and then the Chairman.

is it 2 co-op, 2 gust or are they now one and the same?

is it 2 co-op, 2 gust or are they now one and the same?

Co-op and GUST are separate entities.

GUST will no longer have representation on the board and the co-op will have 4 seats.

It's all swings and roundabouts anyway. Outvoted on anything of importance.

Two member clubs of the Galway FA having separate representation to the rest of the clubs has to end.

Galway United and Galway football should belong to everybody, not just a few.

Armin Aganovic, a 23-year-old Swedish centre-half who played in the Swedish second tier last season has signed for United.

Alex Byrne has signed up for another season as well, but won't be ready to compete for a place in the team until sometime in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Armin Aganovic, a 23-year-old Swedish centre-half who played in the Swedish top flight last season has signed for United.

Alex Byrne has signed up for another season as well, but won't be ready to compete for a place in the team until sometime in March.

Ahem, second division, was with Mjallby in there season in the Allsvenskan but was 18 and never played, one cup game that season. Played 23 in the Superettan last season. Hopefully he'll hit the ground running, looks a decent signing on paper.

• Advertisement

Goals from the friendly v UCD. Match was moved to all-weather to save the main pitch in Mervue, so taken from pitch level.

Armin Aganovic and Alex Byrne interviews, along with update from Tommy Dunne. (last week)

Advertisement