Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The goalkeeping for youths second was embarrassing!

If Ramsbottom doesn't start against Longford, he will in the following game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Funny how there has been no mention of the Dundalk win and the fine crowd that turned out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Paddico wrote: »
    Funny how there has been no mention of the Dundalk win and the fine crowd that turned out too.

They turned out to see Dundalk though. You won't see them against Bray.

I have to say the love in for Dundalk by whoever it was speaking over the PR system prior to the KO was cringeworthy.

Well done this, amazing that, Galway are behind ye......... wtf?

Behind a team that's basically after coming into such a windfall that they'll be dominating the LOI for the next decade or so. Their achievement if you could call it that will make the league even worse that it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

They turned out to see Dundalk though. You won't see them against Bray.

I have to say the love in for Dundalk by whoever it was speaking over the PR system prior to the KO was cringeworthy.

Well done this, amazing that, Galway are behind ye......... wtf?

Behind a team that's basically after coming into such a windfall that they'll be dominating the LOI for the next decade or so. Their achievement if you could call it that will make the league even worse that it is now.

Irish begrudgery at its finest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Irish begrudgery at its finest.

Begrudgery?

Give over, it was football match. The licking arse ****e was way over the top. Buses and all were or are supposed to be heading up to Dublin to support a flippin' club we're competing with in a League. Where else would you see it, in fairness. Imagine the 30/40 lads that like to think of themselves as Ultras packing their drums and heading off on a 3 hour journey to support a rival team....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Begrudgery?

Give over, it was football match. The licking arse ****e was way over the top. Buses and all were or are supposed to be heading up to Dublin to support a flippin' club we're competing with in a League. Where else would you see it, in fairness. Imagine the 30/40 lads that like to think of themselves as Ultras packing their drums and heading off on a 3 hour journey to support a rival team....

If they qualify GUFC will get at least 200k its well worth sending up a few lads to cheer them on

Begrudgery?

Id highly doubt 30/40 lads have gone up, havent seen talk of it anywhere. Supporting other Irish clubs in Europe is a common thing most LOI fans, youll see it in the soccer forum LOI thread.

Very little traffic in this thread usually. Not surprised that nobody bothered. Only a couple of people that post news of things here.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Had to go back four pages to find this thread, I suppose that sort of sums up the way the season has gone in recent weeks and months, the Dundalk result aside.

We've got a chance to skip past Bohs and Pats tonight up into 6th if we can beat the former at home again. I can't see a great crowd with Chelsea-Liverpool on the box unfortunately.

Hoping Dunne ditches the 3-5-2 and actually has a go at Bohs.

• Advertisement

Hoping Dunne ditches the 3-5-2 and actually has a go at Bohs.

There were one or two positives from the 3-5-2 but they are greatly outweighed by how it hamstrung the team and didn't suit the players we have.

We have good wide players in Shanahan and Devaney. Melody did well the last day but the game was compacted into central areas. Maybe he could adapt to it, but a small bit more space suits him.

I felt at the start of the season that we could really hurt teams and keep them on the back foot with Devaney and Shanahan on the wings keeping the wing backs pegged back and Connolly pushing on to support the front two.

I know things haven't been going great, but 3-5-2 seemed like changing something for the sake of it.

Dunne doesn't seem to like changing much and that was really out of the blue.

If he could stop playing Cantwell on the right where Horgan should be, just to have him in the team, that would be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Looking forward to the game tonight and it's a tough one to call as Bohs have been playing quite well of late.

Overall I think United have underachieved this year, given that there are quite a few talented players in the squad. I was hopeful of a late season surge - possibly even to compete for a European place - after the Dundalk win in early August. Instead the opposite happened.

I was hopeful of a late season surge - possibly even to compete for a European place - after the Dundalk win in early August. Instead the opposite happened.

The damage had already been done at that stage. Whatever it is that they aren't motivated, it happened before that.

The performance the month before in Ballybofey, where they were absolutely toothless killed any hope of a run at Rovers for me.

Away at Longford the Saturday before Dundalk, who have just 2 pts from a possible 36, was infuriating. They were fast asleep for an hour, until Longford scored. Longford should not have been allowed to be on top in that game.

Something has to change.

Dont see how we can fit Melody in bar in a 352, hes not strong enough to play middle mid in a 442, and isnt fast or strong enough to play as an out and out winger. He needs to play in a 2 behind Ryan who should be influencing the game more as a 10. All that said, Conor was our best player against Rovers and has really come on this season. Hard to know how tonight will go, could be anything. Another loss or two and TD should go at the seasons end for me.

Another loss or two and TD should go at the seasons end for me.

Be careful what you wish for.

Be careful what you wish for.

I wish for a league title.

I wish for a league title.

Think about who would be odd on to take over.

Johnny would be odds on, not sure he wants it though,no idea outside of that.

Anyway, thats the future. The present was better tonight, we played a bit better than last week and deserved the win. Devaney took the goal very well. Sinno had a good game, dont think anyone really stood out tonight, a lot of 6/10 for me.

Sean Connor?

The Comer brothers have committed to another 3 years sponsorship.

Tommy Dunne's days must be numbered at this stage. The first half mauling last night was the fault of his decision to set the team up the way he did. Once we went 4 at the back and brought on natural wingers we were a different team. Rather than trying to fit his players into his 3-5-2, which was never going to work, he should have been picking tactics to accommodate Kevin Devaney. He did everything we wouldn't/couldn't do in the first half. Cork were doubling up on his almost immediately. Dragged defenders all over the place. Had that Cork free not taken a huge deflection and one of the other chances we had in the second half not been missed, we could have wiped out the first half deficit.

Tommy said it himself that it was the sort of game they could win if they were up for it, but playing narrow and inviting Cork to create chances at will in the first half never gave his players a chance.

The players haven't really been playing for him in months and months. If a change is to happen before next season, it needs to happen asap, or we'll be left behind.

It's very disappointing how this season went. We had a team capable of running Rovers close for 4th place, but it all fell apart.

• Advertisement

What's the story with the 7pm kick-off for the Harps game on Saturday? With the All Ireland final replay starting at 5pm, most people won't be able to watch all of the GAA and still get to Terryland in time for the game.

I'm looking forward to the All Ireland so, in my case, it's the United match that's going to have to be skipped.

What's the story with the 7pm kick-off for the Harps game on Saturday? With the All Ireland final replay starting at 5pm, most people won't be able to watch all of the GAA and still get to Terrland in time for the game.

I'm looking forward to the All Ireland so, in my case, it's the United match that's going to have to be skipped.
    Well sure you can't accommodate everyone. Harps wouldn't agree to a later kick off.

Well sure you can't accommodate everyone. Harps wouldn't agree to a later kick off.

Fair enough, though I don't know why Harps had an issue with the standard 7.45pm. I was just pointing out that the pseudo-clash with an All Ireland final is likely to affect the attendance.

Fair enough, though I don't know why Harps had an issue with the standard 7.45pm. I was just pointing out that the pseudo-clash with an All Ireland final is likely to affect the attendance.

Harps did it just because they could in my opinion.

It would have make no difference to us whatsoever if we had to play a 7.45 in Donegal rather than a 7pm. It doesn't make the journey any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Who would we be able to afford to replace TD.He lost the dressing room months ago and if he doesn't go at least 4 players I hear will definitely be leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,169 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That no14 chap needs start few games for ye. Bar 2 good goals he got the he was excellent other night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Who would we be able to afford to replace TD.He lost the dressing room months ago and if he doesn't go at least 4 players I hear will definitely be leaving.

I heard something very similar! Not good!! Big SAM for GUFC ;)

Daniel McDonnell of the Irish Indo is reporting that Tommy Dunne is gone.

"It's understood that discussions with the club hierarchy led to an agreement that the 44-year-old would depart his role," according to his report.

No official statement from the club yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Daniel McDonnell of the Irish Indo is reporting that Tommy Dunne is gone.

"It's understood that discussions with the club hierarchy led to an agreement that the 44-year-old would depart his role," according to his report.

No official statement from the club yet.

Yeah just saw that!!

• Advertisement

Done and dusted, no harm, good to see it being done early so the new manager can get in for pre season and have his squad ready for next season.

Advertisement