Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭ratracer

I can't believe TD has been caught up in the Daily Telegraph sting*.......

*parts of this may just be my own vivid imagination!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

For years and years if you looked at the LOI table you always had to look towards the bottom to find United. Always. We are the Sunderland of Ireland. Why is that? We started well. Don't know much about the present team but what went wrong this year? I thought he was well regarded?

The saddest thing is that we are , what, the third highest city in the country yet can not could never produce a serious soccer team. If Sligo, that town to our North ruled the roost for a while, why can't we?

Just how many managers have Rovers/United had since their first foray into senior football? 20-25?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Reliable sources on the LOI thread in soccer forum saying he will become the new Rovers manager shortly. Looking forward to our new beginnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

The timing seems curious to me, unless the board have somebody in mind already? United aren't in danger of relegation so I don't know why he was shown the door now rather than waiting until the end of the season.

Like others have said on this thread, the season started off with a lot of promise but that has faded away into mediocrity. I don't think next season would have been much better if TD was still at the helm, so I don't think a change is a bad idea. The timing of it just seems strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

The timing seems curious to me, unless the board have somebody in mind already? United aren't in danger of relegation so I don't know why he was shown the door now rather than waiting until the end of the season.

Like others have said on this thread, the season started off with a lot of promise but that has faded away into mediocrity. I don't think next season would have been much better if TD was still at the helm, so I don't think a change is a bad idea. The timing of it just seems strange.

The board don't need to have someone immediately in mind for it to have been a strange decision to parts ways with him now.

Our season might be as good as over on the field but it is an absolutely crucial time off it. Whoever the new manager ends up being, players he wants to keep will need to be re-signed for next season ASAP.

Clubs are doing their business earlier and earlier every year. You risk missing out on players and potentially paying over the odds just to claw back to where you were the previous March.

Galway football people are very clannish and think nobody is able for the job only one of their own, so there is a lot of support for Johnny Glynn. I wouldn't like him to get the job as he has no really proven himself. He got Mervue to the playoffs but that was the worst FD ever and a team that the best of which would have been playing for Galway United if it hadn't been run into the ground.

Who they will go for is anyone's guess. Depends on who is available and who expresses an interest.

• Advertisement

I don't see the timing as strange at all. The earlier the better, allows a new man to be found and hired sooner and hopefully the better players to be signed up earlier.

Encouraging win last night. 3-2 after having gone 3-0 up. Made if difficult for themselves but a win is a win.

Vinny got his first since the winner against Dundalk and Enda Curran got a badly needed goal and it was an excellent one to break his long drought with.

Colm Horgan's was a great header assisted by Vinny.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Another Saturday outing at Terryland Park tonight. I wouldn't mind us derailing Cork City's title bid :D

• Advertisement

We owe them after we let them back in for a draw in Terryland early in the season and the first half tactics in Cork the last week gave them a 3 goal head start.

I'd be hopeful that the lads will be really up for this.

We owe them after we let them back in for a draw in Terryland early in the season and the first half tactics in Cork the last week gave them a 3 goal head start.

I'd be hopeful that the lads will be really up for this.

Well that went tits up!

I take full responsibility.

On a much more positive note, the u19s won their away League QF against St Pats who would have been favourites to reach the final along with Cork on the other site of the draw. We beat Pats away and Finn Harps beat Cork away.

Home semi final next Saturday, more than likely in Terryland.

How big was the crowd last night against Cork?

It's so sad to see United being beaten like this. All the early season promise is gone. We have not been thumped like that all season as far as I can remember. I remember watching Soccer Republic early on in the season and the pundits saying:Can United be there or thereabouts at the end of the season? This was after we had been doing very well. I smiled inwardly knowing United have never ever been there or thereabouts at the end of any season.

bobbyss wrote: »

It's so sad to see United being beaten like this. All the early season promise is gone. We have not been thumped like that all season as far as I can remember. I remember watching Soccer Republic early on in the season and the pundits saying:Can United be there or thereabouts at the end of the season? This was after we had been doing very well. I smiled inwardly knowing United have never ever been there or thereabouts at the end of any season.

We most certainly have been there or thereabouts at the end of a season before. Runners up in 85/86 and third in 93/94. Beatings by good teams will always happen.

1002 official attendance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I can't understand the lack of starts for Cunningham. I thought he was one of the Galway's best players last season. Quick and strong as an Ox. Not mention the fact that during one of his only proper matches this season he scored a hat trick against Mayo League in the cup.

Personally, I'd put him in the team ahead of Curran.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I can't understand the lack of starts for Cunningham. I thought he was one of the Galway's best players last season. Quick and strong as an Ox. Not mention the fact that during one of his only proper matches this season he scored a hat trick against Mayo League in the cup.

Personally, I'd put him in the team ahead of Curran.

The Mayo League? I could get one or two against them in fairness. Hes been injured and we were playing one up front all season really, Vinny has earned the right to be the main man and Enda has got a few too. Podge has been largely poor when played. Rumoured to have signed a two year deal with Dundalk now too, poor move for him as i dont see when or where hes going to get a game up there.

We most certainly have been there or thereabouts at the end of a season before. Runners up in 85/86 and third in 93/94. Beatings by good teams will always happen.

85/86? That's what... thirty years ago for God's sake!

What's out average finishing place over the course of the years that we have been present in the league bearing in mind the number of teams in the league have changed.

Better still;how many places from the bottom of the league have we finished on average since we started in LOI?

I venture to say:third from bottom? On average.

85/86? That's what... thirty years ago for God's sake!

What's out average finishing place over the course of the years that we have been present in the league bearing in mind the number of teams in the league have changed.

Better still;how many places from the bottom of the league have we finished on average since we started in LOI?

I venture to say:third from bottom? On average.

You said' Utd have never been there or thereabouts at the end of a season', i showed you two examples of where 'we' have. If you want a debate or facts around finishing positions then thats a separate point.

• Advertisement

Galway United u19's semi final against Dundalk is set for Terryland next Saturday at 2pm.

Would be great to get a bit of a crowd for them.

Free in for season ticket holders and under 16's. A fiver otherwise.

Galway United u19's semi final against Dundalk is set for Terryland next Saturday at 2pm.

Would be great to get a bit of a crowd for them.

Free in for season ticket holders and under 16's. A fiver otherwise.

Ya hopefully there'd be a few up there for it, im working so i'll miss it.

You said' Utd have never been there or thereabouts at the end of a season', i showed you two examples of where 'we' have. If you want a debate or facts around finishing positions then thats a separate point.

Good God. Lets have some facts then. Have they been there or there about since the start of this century? They have proven to be a disaster. Have they ever won the league? How many galway players have won player of the season? One? Two? What's the highest position they have finished this century? Wasn't there one season they lost every single game in one season? Or did they manage to draw one or two? They may have even won one league game? (Do they hold some kind of European record for the worst points accrued in a domestic premier league?) Their average position from last place this century? Unfortunately, I don't have those facts ...

Good God. Lets have some facts then. Have they been there or there about since the start of this century? They have proven to be a disaster. Have they ever won the league? How many galway players have won player of the season? One? Two? What's the highest position they have finished this century? Wasn't there one season they lost every single game in one season? Or did they manage to draw one or two? They may have even won one league game? (Do they hold some kind of European record for the worst points accrued in a domestic premier league?) Their average position from last place this century? Unfortunately, I don't have those facts ...

One minute it's we, then it's they!! This thread is for the 2016 season, if you want the history of the club use the official website or try using Google, they might have the answers for all of your questions. If you wanna talk about this season then go to some games and form an opinion for yourself.

One minute it's we, then it's they!! This thread is for the 2016 season, if you want the history of the club use the official website or try using Google, they might have the answers for all of your questions. If you wanna talk about this season then go to some games and form an opinion for yourself.

The last time I saw them this season they were absolutely pure sh1t.

The last time I saw them this season they were absolutely pure sh1t.

Thanks for your input in the thread, it's been nothing if not pointless. From here on I'll be ignoring your usual list of questions.

It's a pity our last game is against Dundalk away. I would have imagined a pretty packed house to see the (almost) champions elect play. Strange and ironic two of Dundalk's finest are both Galweigans both I think born and bred. I would certainly be there to see them. I like the look of that Curran lad. Big and strong. Don't think he got on with Tommy Dunne. In fact, I don't think Dunne got on with lots of the players. I could be wrong in that mind you. I have never been able to figure out why exactly he left.Why did he leave anyway? Money? Results?

Don't feed the troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

There's a little bit of shít stirring going on here. Mod note in post no.1 specifically asked that this would not be case, so let's try to keep this as a constructive, rational conversation.

• Advertisement

With three games to go does it really matter how we perform? I think we are safe from relegation anyway so the games don't really matter points wise. At least I think we are safe. I read somewhere that there would be a new format introduced to the premier league as and from either 16/17 or the following year. Strangely, I have not heard much about it in the news. Have any plans to reformat the structure been scrapped? A league of ten or something like that? Can't quite recall the details. Am not convinced a smaller league would improve standards. You would get a bit pissde off seeing the same teams again and again. Bit like the SPL. Looking to the future, I still cannot fathom why a town like Sligo can outperform us on a regular basis. What do they have that we don't have?

Advertisement