Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

bobbyss wrote: »
    I read somewhere that there would be a new format introduced to the premier league as and from either 16/17 or the following year. Strangely, I have not heard much about it in the news. Have any plans to reformat the structure been scrapped? A league of ten or something like that? Can't quite recall the details.

It's a while since I heard anything, but what you are talking about might have been the proposal of the PCA (Premier Clubs Alliance) to go with a 16 team premier with split regional First Division and promotion relegation to intermediate leagues.

Now that isn't coming from the FAI, so the likelihood of it happening might not be great. But honestly I don't know either way.
    Am not convinced a smaller league would improve standards. You would get a bit pissde off seeing the same teams again and again. Bit like the SPL.

It's a favourite of the FAI to change things around for the sake of it and call it progress. A smaller league is suicidal. A 12 team league is bad enough at times, but a 10 team league has seen some teams play each other 7 or 8 times in the past, with the cup and replays. The defunct Setanta Cup on top of that.
    Looking to the future, I still cannot fathom why a town like Sligo can outperform us on a regular basis. What do they have that we don't have?

We've had different problems over the years. Things are far from perfect now, but I think the club has the potential to push on further with the right manager. Hopefully someone proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

It's a while since I heard anything, but what you are talking about might have been the proposal of the PCA (Premier Clubs Alliance) to go with a 16 team premier with split regional First Division and promotion relegation to intermediate leagues.

Now that isn't coming from the FAI, so the likelihood of it happening might not be great. But honestly I don't know either way.

It's a favourite of the FAI to change things around for the sake of it and call it progress. A smaller league is suicidal. A 12 team league is bad enough at times, but a 10 team league has seen some teams play each other 7 or 8 times in the past, with the cup and replays. The defunct Setanta Cup on top of that.

We've had different problems over the years. Things are far from perfect now, but I think the club has the potential to push on further with the right manager. Hopefully someone proven.

Has it the potential though? When we were doing well we never got crowds over 2000. And this in a city of 75,000. Something is wrong there. Dundalk /Derry the last day had I think 2800. What we could with crowds like that. Infrastructure is an issue. Is the location ok? Quirky approach road? Is the lighting ok around there? Is it a little out of the way? Does it seem a bit stark for a family to be walking out there? I don't know. I am just making the argument. last time I visited the toilets there it was disgusting. Having to bring my young son into it was awful. These things matter. I have no idea what the ladies was like. The Aviva is a nice experience but you don't feel the same way about E Deacy Park. And that informs your decision whether to pop out and go see a match.

I was surprised to see T Dunne go. He had been doing well I thought and results can not have been the reason he left viz Sean Connor. But what proven manager will come west? We have had so many we are going to run out if choices soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Any players coming in or out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

deisedude wrote: »
    Ryan Connolly out to the Shams :(

deisedude wrote: »

Don't expect news for a couple of weeks.

Just because players aren't announced doesn't mean anything either.

• Advertisement

Marc Ludden and Colm Horgan sign new deals.

Great to get those two sorted.

Interesting to note that Keegan has said he wants attacking full backs and to play exciting football. The players seem to have been extremely impressed with all aspects of Keegan's plans for 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Marc Ludden and Colm Horgan sign new deals.

Great to get those two sorted.

Interesting to note that Keegan has said he wants attacking full backs and to play exciting football. The players seem to have been extremely impressed with all aspects of Keegan's plans for 2017.

I'd like to share your optimism but it's early days yet and all that's really happened so far is the re-signing of two lads from this year, and the loss of Ryan Connolly, probably the most talented and influential player in the team. I'll be reserving judgment on Keegan's plans until I see who he brings in.

I'd like to share your optimism but it's early days yet and all that's really happened so far is the re-signing of two lads from this year, and the loss of Ryan Connolly, probably the most talented and influential player in the team. I'll be reserving judgment on Keegan's plans until I see who he brings in.

Colm Horgan apparently was wanted by Cork. It was never a given that either Horgan or Ludden would re-sign. Both are players with ambition.

Horgan played more league minutes than anyone else this season. Started every game he was available for and was never subbed off.

Connolly has great ability but doesn't show it often enough and went missing far too often and appeared to be a lack of leadership from him when things got tough as well.

You might not be excited by these names, but since everyone was out of contract at the end of the season bar Vinny... and those are two players who could very well have left, I am delighted to have retained them.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Colm Horgan apparently was wanted by Cork. It was never a given that either Horgan or Ludden would re-sign. Both are players with ambition.

Horgan played more league minutes than anyone else this season. Started every game he was available for and was never subbed off.

Connolly has great ability but doesn't show it often enough and went missing far too often and appeared to be a lack of leadership from him when things got tough as well.

You might not be excited by these names, but since everyone was out of contract at the end of the season bar Vinny... and those are two players who could very well have left, I am delighted to have retained them.

Fair enough. I'm not saying anything against Horgan or Ludden. I just think Connolly is a huge loss, despite not having a great season in 2016, and I hope the new manager will be able to freshen up the team by bringing in a few new lads of a similarly high calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

Black Friday season ticket promotion just about to start, available on-line only. Adult season tickets just €160 for the next twenty four hours :

http://galwayunitedfc.ie/season-tickets/

• Advertisement

David Cawley signed from Pats.

He'll be important in 2017. He's looking forward to playing close to home. I think if anyone is able to get the best out of him, it's Keegan. Not that Cawley needs extra motivation. He's already a proven winner.

Hopefully there will be plenty more announcements soon. Keegan is very busy by the sounds of it.

Looking forward to what December holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

C'mon Galway fans. This is big news, expected a bit of discussion on this. 
    Hope the football apathy isn’t gone up the west completely ....

http://www.extratime.ie/articles/18051/ex-ireland-under-21-striker-murray-joins-galway-united/

Big, big things have happened recently.

We brought in David Cawley from Pats, won everything in Irish football, back playing football near home in the west, where he wants to be. A proven winner.

We signed Ronan Murray, last of Notts County, who is hugely experienced in the Football League. People don't seem to realise how big a signing he is.

We signed Lee Grace who was Wexford's standout player in the Premier by a distance. He was courted by a number of clubs including Cork City.

Connacht legend Johnny O'Connor has joined as strength and conditioning coach, who was with Arsenal until recently.

It's early December and the players were already in for a preliminary fitness tests.

Keegan and O'Connor are brilliant fit I think.

Some re-signing players need to stand up and be counted in 2017 and if they can't do it under these lads, it just isn't for them I don't think.

We're quite a ways off yet, a lot of players to sign, rest of backroom to be finalised, but I'm very, very optimistic considering how things are going so far.

AND there's a Xmas shop in the Eyre Square Centre selling all the merchandise and season tickets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Great to see CL. I'nm a city (Cork) fan but always had a soft spot for Galway from my time there

More great news again today.

Stephen Folan signs new contract

FOLAN | “The club is going in the right direction”

New jersey being revealed soon.

mdfLNhF.png

2017 Galway United home kit revealed today.

Johnny Glynn was named as Head of Football Development and also First Team Coach under Shane Keegan.

Great news every day recently it seems.

7wPDTik.png

Gavan Holohan signs for Galway United from Cork City.

Yet another statement of intent. He certainly had options. Chose Keegan and Galway United.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Gavan Holohan signs for Galway United from Cork City.

Yet another statement of intent. He certainly had options. Chose Keegan and Galway United.

Another good signing on paper, hopefully we get another few in and we will be well set.

Another good signing on paper, hopefully we get another few in and we will be well set.

Not just on paper. Was excellent for Drogheda and that midfield is Cork is difficult to get into, but he played 50 times for them in spite of that.

He certainly seems to have the right attitude.

We have an unreal midfield three already in Holohan, Cawley and Murray. How the squad fills out eventually will be very interesting.

I haven't heard names, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another name or two out of left-field, to fill out the squad, along with re-signings and maybe even more established names.

Alex Byrne has signed a new deal.

Another great signing to get over the line.

He's fit and ready for pre-season, which has wasn't this time last year and it one of the big causes of his 2016 season largely being a write off.

If he can be in top condition, he'll be a huge asset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Have any of the management/trainers from last season been kept on by the new man, Leo Tierney/Gary O'Connor etc.

Are any of last seasons U19's ready for the step up to senior football? I know some were pulled into last season's squad from time to time but do any of them stand out as contenders for the first team.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Ath trasna wrote: »
    Have any of the management/trainers from last season been kept on by the new man, Leo Tierney/Gary O'Connor etc.

Are any of last seasons U19's ready for the step up to senior football? I know some were pulled into last season's squad from time to time but do any of them stand out as contenders for the first team.
    The makeup of the entire backroom hasn't been announced yet, only Keegan, Glynn and O'Connor are confirmed so far.

There are definitely a few players from last seasons u19 squad who are worth a look at, and with Glynn involved in the first team now I would be shocked if a few weren't promoted. Maurice Nugent and Robert Spelman are two very good prospects. Jesse Devers too.

The makeup of the entire backroom hasn't been announced yet, only Keegan, Glynn and O'Connor are confirmed so far.

There are definitely a few players from last seasons u19 squad who are worth a look at, and with Glynn involved in the first team now I would be shocked if a few weren't promoted. Maurice Nugent and Robert Spelman are two very good prospects. Jesse Devers too.

Gary Kinneen and Andrew Connolly both highly regarded too.

Are the squad professional or semi professional? How much and how often do the latter train during the season? Where would they train? Wouldn't it be great to see a Galway born player have a great season and go cross channel. Preston NE is practically an Irish club now. Well, not quite.But will be following their progress as much as the boys in maroon shirts and blue (?) shorts.

Not just on paper. Was excellent for Drogheda and that midfield is Cork is difficult to get into, but he played 50 times for them in spite of that.

He certainly seems to have the right attitude.

We have an unreal midfield three already in Holohan, Cawley and Murray. How the squad fills out eventually will be very interesting.

I haven't heard names, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another name or two out of left-field, to fill out the squad, along with re-signings and maybe even more established names.

Yep the three make a stronger all round unit than last year in midfield anyway, along with Timmy and maybe Melody and Sinnott that would give decent depth.

Are the squad professional or semi professional? How much and how often do the latter train during the season?

A few have jobs outside of football, but the club trains as a full-time outfit.

During the season, on the days they train, they arrive in at 9 and warm up for 30 minutes before doing a session. Then they have a break to eat a prepared lunch together.

They have their gym session in the afternoon after that.

Keegan looks for players with the correct attitude and Johnny O'Connor is part of the backroom as Strength and Conditioning Coach.

We are likely to see the fittest Galway United team ever assembled in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Wouldn't it be great to see a Galway born player have a great season and go cross channel.

Just happened this year..... Daryl Horgan.

Just happened this year..... Daryl Horgan.

Not to mention Horgan is joining Greg Cunningham at PNE, who is one of the first names on the team sheet at left back.

He's from Galway and has played about 200-250 games in English football, including appearing, albeit briefly, in the PL and Europa League for Man City.

Not to mention Horgan is joining Greg Cunningham at PNE, who is one of the first names on the team sheet at left back.

He's from Galway and has played about 200-250 games in English football, including appearing, albeit briefly, in the PL and Europa League for Man City.

Isn't Cunningham Preston's cub captain? He's just back from injury I think. Speaking of former Galway (United) former players making it across channel, it was great to see Jay O'Shea making an appearance at Old Trafford shortly after his transfer to Birmingham. And equally sad to see him go down the leagues.

Galwegian Horgan I don't know much about. He looks and plays like a young Duff. I really hope he makes it. He seems hard working and modest.

• Advertisement

Isn't Cunningham Preston's cub captain? He's just back from injury I think.

Cunningham is a very important player for them but he isn't their captain.
    Speaking of former Galway (United) former players making it across channel, it was great to see Jay O'Shea making an appearance at Old Trafford shortly after his transfer to Birmingham. And equally sad to see him go down the leagues.

Jay has a great career for himself. He is a success and is going up the division, not down. This is his fifth season at Chesterfield's fans and stadium create a great atmosphere. He played every game for them last season.
    Galwegian Horgan I don't know much about. He looks and plays like a young Duff. I really hope he makes it. He seems hard working and modest.

Horgan has already shown he has it. He looked very comfortable in the Europa League.

Advertisement