Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Cunningham is a very important player for them but he isn't their captain.

Jay has a great career for himself. He is a success and is going up the division, not down. This is his fifth season at Chesterfield's fans and stadium create a great atmosphere. He played every game for them last season.

Horgan has already shown he has it. He looked very comfortable in the Europa League.

Preston's website last week had an interview with him and I thought he was referred to as their captain. But no, he's not. It would be fantastic to see O'Shea in the premier league, a true measure of a great career, and where he started off.

I hope Horgan makes an immediate breakthrough. Unlike Mr Towell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

bobbyss wrote: »
    I hope Horgan makes an immediate breakthrough. Unlike Mr Towell.

Richie Towell arrived at Brighton at a time when they were doing excellently and looked to be on their way to the Premier League. It would have been daft to play him ahead of the midfield that were performing so well for them at the time.

Towell trained well and was biding his time. He had an excellent pre-season, outperforming everyone in almost every test they did, but he had injured just before the first pre-season friendly. He is only returning to full fitness now.

He was brought right back into the squad when he was ready and is on the bench v Birmingham as we speak.

Richie Towell arrived at Brighton at a time when they were doing excellently and looked to be on their way to the Premier League. It would have been daft to play him ahead of the midfield that were performing so well for them at the time.

Towell trained well and was biding his time. He had an excellent pre-season, outperforming everyone in almost every test they did, but he had injured just before the first pre-season friendly. He is only returning to full fitness now.

He was brought right back into the squad when he was ready and is on the bench v Birmingham as we speak.

Am watching, as we speak, hope to see him. I hope he makes a breakthrough and doesn't go on loan as suggested by someone in Brighton. I also hope he does his talking on the pitch.

Am watching, as we speak, hope to see him.

Brighton have made all their subs.
    I hope he makes a breakthrough and doesn't go on loan as suggested by someone in Brighton. I also hope he does his talking on the pitch.

He's not going on loan.

Back to the subject of Galway United, it's been a great few months.

From the uncertainly surrounding appointing a manager, to eventually appointing my first choice.

10 players signed, 9 of them likely to be starters. Rumbles there might be a signing or two before Xmas.

Can't wait for January to be honest.

Brighton have made all their subs.

He's not going on loan.

Back to the subject of Galway United, it's been a great few months.

From the uncertainly surrounding appointing a manager, to eventually appointing my first choice.

10 players signed, 9 of them likely to be starters. Rumbles there might be a signing or two before Xmas.

Can't wait for January to be honest.

Well, one can only be optimistic and hope for the best. But I won't be disappointed if we don't do well.

• Advertisement

Well, one can only be optimistic and hope for the best. But I won't be disappointed if we don't do well.

Not a great attitude to have.

We have signed some quality players and Keegan, Glynn and Johnny O'Connor are almost a dream team in terms of coaching staff.

A midfield 3 of Cawley, Holohan and Murray would be excellent, assuming that is what happens.

Folan and Grace at CB have the potential to be a great partnership.

All these and the 5 others that have signed so far, plus the maybe 10 or so others, it will be a strong squad.

It takes a lot for me to get excited about a season, but there is a plenty there for 2017.

Not a great attitude to have.

We have signed some quality players and Keegan, Glynn and Johnny O'Connor are almost a dream team in terms of coaching staff.

A midfield 3 of Cawley, Holohan and Murray would be excellent, assuming that is what happens.

Folan and Grace at CB have the potential to be a great partnership.

All these and the 5 others that have signed so far, plus the maybe 10 or so others, it will be a strong squad.

It takes a lot for me to get excited about a season, but there is a plenty there for 2017.

You seem full of beans and excited about the 'quality players', the backroom staff and the prospects for next year. Hopefully you will be right and Cawley, Murray and Devers will light up the league. On the other hand they may not.

I, however, will be scanning the lower end of the league table throughout the season to find out about how these quality players are doing.

My attitude is that if you don't expect too much, you will not be disappointed. This attitude is called a realistic attitude borne from experience. To suggest this is not a great attitude to have is ... eh misplaced.

You seem full of beans and excited about the 'quality players', the backroom staff and the prospects for next year.

Hopefully you will be right and Cawley, Murray and Devers will light up the league. On the other hand they may not.

Cawley has won everything in Irish football despite only being 25. Murray is the same age and has a lot of experience in England. 130 games with teams like Ipswich, Swindon and Notts County.

I assume you meant Holohan when you said Devers, as the latter has not signed (yet anyway). Holohan was impressive when he came home from England, which is why Cork wanted him. He played 50 games for them in two seasons and Cork wanted to keep him, but it was probably time for him to move.
    I, however, will be scanning the lower end of the league table throughout the season to find out about how these quality players are doing.

See you in 2017.
    My attitude is that if you don't expect too much, you will not be disappointed. This attitude is called a realistic attitude borne from experience. To suggest this is not a great attitude to have is ... eh misplaced.

I am not known for having a terribly positive attitude, but even I think that is awfully negative.

Cawley has won everything in Irish football despite only being 25. Murray is the same age and has a lot of experience in England. 130 games with teams like Ipswich, Swindon and Notts County.

I assume you meant Holohan when you said Devers, as the latter has not signed (yet anyway). Holohan was impressive when he came home from England, which is why Cork wanted him. He played 50 games for them in two seasons and Cork wanted to keep him, but it was probably time for him to move.

See you in 2017.

I am not known for having a terribly positive attitude, but even I think that is awfully negative.

Here's hoping we have a great season. We could even do a Leicester maybe?

I would ask you to reign in your horses there a bit though and not to be getting carried away with all this 'impressive' this and 'quality' that.
    Dundalk and Derry must be kicking themselves having missed out on all this quality you keep talking about.

The quality of the players will be judged as the season progresses.

It's not long since you were trolling here, so I'll leave it at that.

Anyone else have any opinions?

MJi0Kwr.png

How we're shaping up just with the players that have signed so far, assuming this is how we set up.

• Advertisement

It's not long since you were trolling here, so I'll leave it at that.

Anyone else have any opinions?

MJi0Kwr.png

How we're shaping up just with the players that have signed so far, assuming this is how we set up.

Sir,

Please don't accuse me of trolling.

Just because my expectations for the forthcoming season do not match yours is no excuse for you to resort to name calling.

If you don't like my opinions you are not under any obligation whatsoever to engage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Isn't Cunningham Preston's cub captain? He's just back from injury I think. Speaking of former Galway (United) former players making it across channel, it was great to see Jay O'Shea making an appearance at Old Trafford shortly after his transfer to Birmingham. And equally sad to see him go down the leagues.

Galwegian Horgan I don't know much about. He looks and plays like a young Duff. I really hope he makes it. He seems hard working and modest.

Nothing sad about Jay playing very well for Chesterfield at all, League One player of the month last month unless I'm mistaken.

Nothing sad about Jay playing very well for Chesterfield at all, League One player of the month last month unless I'm mistaken.

By all accounts he played well yesterday too. But I think they are in the bottom five in League 1. I hope they and him don't go down. He was a great player for Galway and scored some important goals at the end of his last season with us. Maybe his last game as well I think he scored. On his Birmingham debut imagine had he scored, in Old Trafford! It would have been great.

How I miss his twinkle toes.

And how badly they are needed here for next season? Well, we can only wait until the squad is fully assembled.

The new manager is in place for a while now and has had time to assess the situation. In fact he couldn't have come at a more opportune time. Time has been on his side. He can have no excuses if things go wrong. I don't know what kind of budget Galway has compared to, say Bray or Limerick. (Does anyone?) We hear about players moving clubs but never hear about for how much.

I would be happy if the manager kept us in the division. I would be thankful for that. If after ten-twelve games we are in the bottom two, it will be time to remove him.

By all accounts he played well yesterday too. But I think they are in the bottom five in League 1. I hope they and him don't go down. He was a great player for Galway and scored some important goals at the end of his last season with us. Maybe his last game as well I think he scored. On his Birmingham debut imagine had he scored, in Old Trafford! It would have been great.

How I miss his twinkle toes.

And how badly they are needed here for next season? Well, we can only wait until the squad is fully assembled.

The new manager is in place for a while now and has had time to assess the situation. In fact he couldn't have come at a more opportune time. Time has been on his side. He can have no excuses if things go wrong. I don't know what kind of budget Galway has compared to, say Bray or Limerick. (Does anyone?) We hear about players moving clubs but never hear about for how much.

I would be happy if the manager kept us in the division. I would be thankful for that. If after ten-twelve games we are in the bottom two, it will be time to remove him.

Nonsense.

Nonsense.

How long would you give him?

How long would you give him?

I'd give him a fair chance to do his job, gel his team, implement his style, not a ridiculous ten game window.

I'd give him a fair chance to do his job, gel his team, implement his style, not a ridiculous ten game window.

I think Sean Connor got about a ten thousand game window and we finished towards the bottom of the league. That's ridiculous.

But it's all about the forthcoming season. It's all about United 16-17. This is the modern game we are in. It's a competitive environment. If we are bottom of the league and adrift after say twelve games, well, that is his chance. He has had his time to develop a style and it is fair to say that it simply isn't working. I hope it won't come to this. I hope we win the league.

But what do you mean you would give him a fair chance? If we are bottom of the league after twenty games, say, has he had his fair chance by then? When would sack a manager? Would you have sacked Connor? At what point?

I think Sean Connor got about a ten thousand game window and we finished towards the bottom of the league. That's ridiculous.

But it's all about the forthcoming season. It's all about United 16-17. This is the modern game we are in. It's a competitive environment. If we are bottom of the league and adrift after say twelve games, well, that is his chance. He has had his time to develop a style and it is fair to say that it simply isn't working. I hope it won't come to this. I hope we win the league.

But what do you mean you would give him a fair chance? If we are bottom of the league after twenty games, say, has he had his fair chance by then? When would sack a manager? Would you have sacked Connor? At what point?

I'm not going to answer your usual infinite amount of questions, you're talking about stuff that hasn't happened and I'm not going down that route. Somebody else might have an interest in it.

I'm not going to answer your usual infinite amount of questions, you're talking about stuff that hasn't happened and I'm not going down that route. Somebody else might have an interest in it.

You don't have to answer a single one of them. But if you are asserting my opinions are ridiculous then you can expect to be pressed. Is that fair and appropriate Ben?

You don't have to answer a single one of them. But if you are asserting my opinions are ridiculous then you can expect to be pressed. Is that fair and appropriate Ben?

Your 'opinions' are not based on facts, you're making up a series of what ifs. You can press away to your hearts content buy I ain't going to be going around in what if/imaginary circles with you.

• Advertisement

Your 'opinions' are not based on facts, you're making up a series of what ifs. You can press away to your hearts content buy I ain't going to be going around in what if/imaginary circles with you.

I have no wish to press away to my hearts content. I only wish for mature debate.

For example I did ask you re Connor and when he should have been sacked if at all. No imaginary circles there.

Your reply would have been interesting as I would have had some idea of your time frame for the sacking of a manager. It would have dealt with your point regarding giving Keegan a fair chance and time to develop a style...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

bobbyss, if you don't mind me asking - do you attend Galway United matches regularly, not a loaded question, just curious.

Seven Worlds will Collide

bobbyss, if you don't mind me asking - do you attend Galway United matches regularly, not a loaded question, just curious.

I am a passionate Galweigan and go as often as I can manage. Do you yourself attend regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Yes from Tipp but regular Galway visitor, follower since about 08. I usually buy a season ticket.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Yes from Tipp but regular Galway visitor, follower since about 08. I usually buy a season ticket.

Yeah, my son had a season ticket last year and I think there is some kind of deal this year with adult season ticket. Maybe you get a scarf with it. Something like that. I was at the united desk in Corbett Court last Friday to make enquiries but they closed ay seven I think. The season ticket is good if you are committed. Certainly, my young fella never missed a match. The idea of a scarf as part of a deal, (if in fact it is) is good. But also what I'd like are those things you can put across back window in car.

I think there is some kind of deal this year with adult season ticket. Maybe you get a scarf with it. Something like that

There are two Christmas offers.

1 Adult and 1 Child Season Ticket, 1 Adult & 1 Child 2017 Home Jersey

All that for €310 €240, a saving of €70.

Adult Season Ticket, 2017 Home Jersey & Scarf

All for €250 €220, a saving of €30.

Add to that, the fact that Galway United I think have the cheapest season ticket and among the best spectator facilities, they're even better value.

There are two Christmas offers.

1 Adult and 1 Child Season Ticket, 1 Adult & 1 Child 2017 Home Jersey

All that for €310 €240, a saving of €70.

Adult Season Ticket, 2017 Home Jersey & Scarf

All for €250 €220, a saving of €30.

Add to that, the fact that Galway United I think have the cheapest season ticket and among the best spectator facilities, they're even better value.

I see. Thanks.
    When exactly does the offer end?
    Do you have any offers for students 18 plus?

When exactly does the offer end?

It's a Christmas offer, so can be bought from the shop in the Eyre Square Centre which closes just before Christmas or if it's not a present for someone, you can buy online anytime up until Xmas and it will be honoured.
    Do you have any offers for students 18 plus?

The 3rd level student season ticket is just €120, which is €60 cheaper than an adult ticket.

It's a Christmas offer, so can be bought from the shop in the Eyre Square Centre which closes just before Christmas or if it's not a present for someone, you can buy online anytime up until Xmas and it will be honoured.

The 3rd level student season ticket is just €120, which is €60 cheaper than an adult ticket.

Many thanks. My fella is 18 and at school. What would his best option be?

• Advertisement

Many thanks. My fella is 18 and at school. What would his best option be?

Second Level Student ticket €60

The shop in the Eyre Square Centre is open up until and including Friday 23rd.

Advertisement