Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I'm glad Shanahan is on board again. I thought he improved as a player in 2016 - it was good to see him chip in with a couple of goals.

Looking forward to the season now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I'm glad Shanahan is on board again. I thought he improved as a player in 2016 - it was good to see him chip in with a couple of goals.

His assists are probably overlooked as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I think Walsh and Curran gong to Longford. Not confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

bobbyss wrote: »
    I think Walsh and Curran gong to Longford. Not confirmed.

No loss.

Full training has begun.

Season starts on Friday 24th February, 6 weeks from Friday, so won't belong at all before friendlies are happening.

• Advertisement

Pre-season report from Shane Keegan.

Looks like they could be the fittest team a United has gone into a season with. They were given fitness tests in the first week of December and I assume an eye was kept on them since. Apart from being able to play at peak levels for longer, it should help cut down on injuries a bit during the season.

An u17 manager vacancy has been advertised as well.

It has taken many many years, but we may finally be seeing Galway United become an actual club. It appears as though Galway United will be represented in the new u15 league in August as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Pre-season report from Shane Keegan.

Looks like they could be the fittest team a United has gone into a season with. They were given fitness tests in the first week of December and I assume an eye was kept on them since. Apart from being able to play at peak levels for longer, it should help cut down on injuries a bit during the season.

An u17 manager vacancy has been advertised as well.

It has taken many many years, but we may finally be seeing Galway United become an actual club. It appears as though Galway United will be represented in the new u15 league in August as well.
    All good news, read the SK interview yesterday, all sounded positive with a cupla lads to come in yet by the sounds of it.

Shane Keegan being interviewed by Galway Bay FM on Over The Line. Programme starts at 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

I think United will finish in the top half this season. Good manager and some decent signings
    Best of luck for the season.
    City 'til I die (Cork)

• Advertisement

Alan Murphy appointed manager of the under-17 team. Brilliant appointment.

Has 4 years of the Connacht schools team and various other posts in youth football behind him already. Would likely have known the makeup of the most of his squad before he even applied.

Trials for the team on Saturday morning all the same.

The first friendly is against Sligo, tomorrow week in Terryland.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

First friendly tonight - pretty decent game to start off with, Sligo Rovers at Terryland Park (7.45 KO).

Looking forward to getting a glimpse of the new signings, even at this early stage. Fair play to the club for only charging €5. Should see a decent friendly crowd of 250-300 anyway.

Colm Horgan has been appointed captain. This will be his eighth season in the LOI, despite being only 22.

Conor Melody called up to the Irish U21 home based squad.

There was a huge turnout at the trials for the under-17 league team as well.

Tonight should be a good test. Sligo have had a couple of matches already, albeit against weak opposition.

An enjoyable game last night. Should have won by another goal or two,we were much the better team. A well taken goal by Murray and some really good performances throughout.

http://galwayunitedfc.ie/match-report-galway-united-1-0-sligo-rovers/

Didn't see much of Ronan Murray as he wasn't risked but he looked very good in the time he was on the pitch. There was a touch of class about the goal. Closing down to win possession and advancing up through the middle while holding off the defender and completely stranding the keeper with a deft finish from close range. I'm looking forward to what Murray is like when he's in from the start next week hopefully.

Bit strange having every single player in the first friendly squad already signed up.

The young lads came in looked good as well.

http://galwayunitedfc.ie/match-report-galway-united-1-0-sligo-rovers/

Didn't see much of Ronan Murray as he wasn't risked but he looked very good in the time he was on the pitch. There was a touch of class about the goal. Closing down to win possession and advancing up through the middle while holding off the defender and completely stranding the keeper with a deft finish from close range. I'm looking forward to what Murray is like when he's in from the start next week hopefully.

Bit strange having every single player in the first friendly squad already signed up.

The young lads came in looked good as well.

Ya you could tell Murray has played at a higher level, had good 'game intelligence ' to quote Mr Benitez. Squad looked very fit. Was surprised how poor Sligo looked considering they'd a couple of games under their belt already.

In fairness Sligo only played a junior team and a Ballinamallard side of kids/reserves.

Great to be back.

Ronan Murray's goal, since it wasn't posted.

Reaction from him and Keegan.

Impressed with the young players but it's early yet. They'll probably be leaps and bounds ahead of last year either way, since they have been doing Johnny O'Connor's training regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭ratracer

It's a bitterly cold night in Terryland tonight, I'd say there won't be 200 supporters here, but hopefully it'll be another productive friendly!!

ratracer wrote: »
    It's a bitterly cold night in Terryland tonight, I'd say there won't be 200 supporters here, but hopefully it'll be another productive friendly!!

This definitely colder than last week, hoping for a decent win and good performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Will ya give us a few updates?

1-1 at ht. Devaney for us, nice finish. Winn dropped a corner for there goal, awful by him again. We should have scored at least one more from a Murray one on one .

1-1 @ H/T. A decent enough performance by united, but Athlone are poor. Kevin Devaney finished nicely for 1-0 after a terrible pass between Athlone keeper and full back, Athlone scored by simply by crowding Winn in the 6yd box, and he dropped a cross. I hope Nugent plays the second half, I'm not a great fan of Winn, and hope he is not our first choice keeper for the league.

1-1 @ H/T. A decent enough performance by united, but Athlone are poor. Kevin Devaney finished nicely for 1-0 after a terrible pass between Athlone keeper and full back, Athlone scored by simply by crowding Winn in the 6yd box, and he dropped a cross. I hope Nugent plays the second half, I'm not a great fan of Winn, and hope he is not our first choice keeper for the league.

D'oh, Ben types faster than me, but at least it's a similar synopsis!

Just FYI, the club has live updates on twitter for every match.

https://twitter.com/GalwayUnitedFC

Alan Murphy has chosen his squad. They have 6 weeks of pre-season now until the under-17 league kicks-off.

The under-19 league kicks-off the week before I think. Under-15 league starts in August as well apparently.

Exciting times.

They had a good workout against the Republic of Ireland Colleges team. A lot of young players started and did well. Seven of them played under-19s football last year.

There are three buses coming from around the county (so far) to the first game of the season at Terryland against Drogheda United. Clifden, Loughrea and Kinvara.

They're just kicking off against Waterford in the RSC now.

Starting team is
    Winn
    Horgan© Grace Folan Ludden
          Sinnott Holohan
      Shanahan Devers Devaney
               Murray

Subs: C. Nugent (GK), M. Nugent, Byrne, Kinneen, Melody

Updates on twitter

Edit: Thers's a big club fundraiser in Monroes on Friday night as well. Bagatelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

They're trying to get a bus coming from Tuam too

Lost 2-1 tonight. Sounds like Waterford were a lot more bothered. Limerick at home on Monday now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The under-19 league kicks-off the week before I think. Under-15 league starts in August as well apparently.

Exciting times.

The 15s will play a truncated season this year before starting up properly next year.

Lost 2-1 tonight. Sounds like Waterford were a lot more bothered. Limerick at home on Monday now.

Any price yet for tickets for Monday's game.

Advertisement