Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Any price yet for tickets for Monday's game.

A fiver usually

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭ratracer

If season tickets went up €20 this year, will there be an increase in the weekly ticket price?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

ratracer wrote: »
    If season tickets went up €20 this year, will there be an increase in the weekly ticket price?
    Nope, pretty sure it will be the standard league pricing.

15 adult
    10 student/oap
    5 under-12

And they're introducing two family ticket prices i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Nope, pretty sure it will be the standard league pricing.

15 adult
    10 student/oap
    5 under-12

And they're introducing two family ticket prices i believe.

Glad to hear this. €20 would be too much, if trying to attract 'floating voters' and grow crowds. €15 is about right (though I know someone who recently paid just a tenner for a ticket to a Lazio-Genoa Coppa Italia game in Rome!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

€15 is about right (though I know someone who recently paid just a tenner for a ticket to a Lazio-Genoa Coppa Italia game in Rome!)

I know you're not giving out, but it annoys me when people are giving out about prices cite ticket prices in league that have tv deals and huge income from tv deals and merchandise.

Re: the season ticket, ours is still too cheap, but it's the price that it is. It puts the club at a disadvantage straight away when every other club charges more.

There was stupid good value to be had pre-Xmas as well, with merchandise almost being given away with season ticket purchases.

• Advertisement

Great buzz building for the league opener v Drogheda in Terryland a week Friday (24th)

FOUR buses (so far) coming from all over Galway to it.

- Loughrea via Galway Plaza & Athenry

- Clifden via Oughterard & Moycullen

- Kinvara via Clarinbridge

- Dunmore via Tuam, N17 Corofin exit & Claregalway

The last home pre-season friendly before the season starts is tomorrow night (Monday) v Limerick. I'd hope to see close to what will start v Drogheda.

We're playing Cobh away on Saturday as well.

Any price yet for tickets for Monday's game.
    It will be €5 for tonight's game - the club announced it. Very reasonable, I saw quite a few Premier clubs charging €10.

Of all the friendlies, I think this will tell the most. Limerick are probably stronger than we are and we're less than 2 weeks from the start of the season so both teams will be fielding strong teams and a few of our bigger players are returning from injury.

I'd like to see a line up like this against Limerick

Nugent
    Horgan - Grace - Folan - Ludden
    Cawley - Holohan
    Shanahan - Murray - Devaney
    Faherty

I still feel we need another winger, I'm not sure if Shanahan is the answer as a starter week in, week out. At this stage it's looking unlikely that we will make any further additions and we're probably going with what we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

It will be €5 for tonight's game - the club announced it. Very reasonable, I saw quite a few Premier clubs charging €10.

Of all the friendlies, I think this will tell the most. Limerick are probably stronger than we are and we're less than 2 weeks from the start of the season so both teams will be fielding strong teams and a few of our bigger players are returning from injury.

I'd like to see a line up like this against Limerick

Nugent
    Horgan - Grace - Folan - Ludden
    Cawley - Holohan
    Shanahan - Murray - Devaney
    Faherty

I still feel we need another winger, I'm not sure if Shanahan is the answer as a starter week in, week out. At this stage it's looking unlikely that we will make any further additions and we're probably going with what we have.

Attack wise yeah I agree with you that Limerick would possibly be stronger but our defence wasn't the best and that was before Dave O'Conner and Shane Tracy were out injured.

Unless we bring in a starting centre half and left full the first game against Sligo could end up being a 7-6 to either team.

The last friendly is away to Cobh on Saturday.

Looking forward to the season. Some promising signs. Fitness of the players and the obvious ability of a few additions.

Seems to be great buzz around the opening game and we're still over a week away.

Buses coming from all over...

http://galwayunitedfc.ie/buses-league-opener-eamonn-deacy-park/

fqDHYzS.pngedWcm96.png
    LblofFl.pngkNEszMe.png

• Advertisement

1-0 up in Cobh. Marc Ludden cross turned in by a defender. Goal was coming.

2-0 FT in Cobh earlier.

A Marc Ludden cross turned in by a defender and Podge blasting in the second.

Just 6 days left until the big kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

What would be considered a good crowd for the opening game? 1,500 + ?
    Given the expectation: a new manager and fresh squad perhaps pushing towards 2,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

bobbyss wrote: »
    Given the expectation: a new manager and fresh squad perhaps pushing towards 2,000?

Just out of interest - what is the capacity of ED Park?
    Looking forward to Friday.

I'd be disappointed if there isn't 1500 there. opening game especially. not sure if we'd make the 2000 though

Just out of interest - what is the capacity of ED Park?
    Looking forward to Friday.

I think it's 5000 - 3500 seated(?)

1,500 would be very disappointing, I doubt it would be that small. Although I suppose on opening day last year we played St Pats away and there was only 1,600 at Richmond Park, with at least 200 of that from Galway.

To give perspective, our last opening day home crowd was against Derry City in 2015, they brought a very small away crowd (less than 50 fans I'd say) and the official attendance that night was 2,254.

If I had to guess I would say it would be between 2,000-2,500.

1,500 would be very disappointing, I doubt it would be that small. Although I suppose on opening day last year we played St Pats away and there was only 1,600 at Richmond Park, with at least 200 of that from Galway.

To give perspective, our last opening day home crowd was against Derry City in 2015, they brought a very small away crowd (less than 50 fans I'd say) and the official attendance that night was 2,254.

If I had to guess I would say it would be between 2,000-2,500.

That would be great.

What was the average attendance at games across the league last year do you know? I think Dundalk's was high, as you would expect, perhaps a consistent 2000. I think I saw some attendance figures of about 400-600 at some games. If United are going well and the games are well publicized and marketed we could look towards an average of ...1800? There are not that many clubs that would have that average attendance. Cork and Dundalk (if they are ok this year) perhaps. Friday night rugby doesn't help but that will end in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

That would be great.

What was the average attendance at games across the league last year do you know? I think Dundalk's was high, as you would expect, perhaps a consistent 2000. I think I saw some attendance figures of about 400-600 at some games. If United are going well and the games are well publicized and marketed we could look towards an average of ...1800? There are not that many clubs that would have that average attendance. Cork and Dundalk (if they are ok this year) perhaps. Friday night rugby doesn't help but that will end in due course.

Think both Galway and Limerick averaged roughly 1,250 each.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Think both Galway and Limerick averaged roughly 1,250 each.

Extratime.ie 2016

http://www.extratime.ie/articles/17591/league-of-ireland-attendances-2016---a-complete-breakdown-updated/

The near two month gap in home games ruined it a bit . Rovers game would normally be a bumper crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Looking forward to Friday nights in Terryland again. 5 wins an 1 loss in preseason with some decent performances in spells. Plenty of players pushing for position and a handful of u19s signed up from last year who are showing a lot of promise.

It is going to be a very tough league this year with 3 going down. Need to hit the ground running like last year.

Anyone with even a passing interest could do worse than take a trip up to Eamonn Deacy park this Friday. Club are opening up bar/club room upstairs in the old dressing room for supporters which will be a great addition and an incentive to get in early before kick off.

Hoping for a good atmosphere and attendance, key is for a bit of a buzz around town and in the local media before Friday night. Local newspapers are really bad in promoting Galway united, Galway bay FM have usually been good, but nothing beats word of mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Looking forward to Friday nights in Terryland again. 5 wins an 1 loss in preseason with some decent performances in spells. Plenty of players pushing for position and a handful of u19s signed up from last year who are showing a lot of promise.

It is going to be a very tough league this year with 3 going down. Need to hit the ground running like last year.

Yup Friday could be one of the seasons most important games, a good start could set us up well while hopefully stunting any progress from Drogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭ratracer

Club are opening up bar/club room upstairs in the old dressing room for supporters which will be a great addition and an incentive to get in early before kick off.

^^^^^^^^^

I think this is a great addition to EDP this season. For anyone on here that remembers the season in Glenina while Terryland was being re-developed, I reckon that must have been a great season for crowd attendance. ( I was only a young lad back then!) It should boost the crowd. Can't wait for Friday night, hoping for a good crowd, but more importantly a good first result!!

Anyone with even a passing interest could do worse than take a trip up to Eamonn Deacy park this Friday. Club are opening up bar/club room upstairs in the old dressing room for supporters which will be a great addition and an incentive to get in early before kick off.

Hoping for a good atmosphere and attendance, key is for a bit of a buzz around town and in the local media before Friday night. Local newspapers are really bad in promoting Galway united, Galway bay FM have usually been good, but nothing beats word of mouth.

Yes. The Advertiser weighs a ton and is full of rubbish. The Galway Independent may have a paragraph to devote to United. Galway Bay do have time for the club but I don't know how many people listen in.

Anyway, I hope they are selling scarves at EDP on Friday and that it's not p1ssing down as it has been today and I'll be keeping my distance from the auld drummers. It's nice to see an Uachtarain shouting out 'Come on United'. So here's hoping. Three points will do thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

GUFC lots of peoples favourites for the drop according to the predictions thread on here. https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057708497

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Daniel McDonnell of the Irish Indo reckons United will just about survive. He predicted a 9th place finish in his look ahead to the new season yesterday.

I don't really know what to expect this year, but I'm looking forward to Friday. If the team is sent out to play decent attacking football, and tightens up a bit at the back, I'll be happy.

What's the consensus on who the starting 'keeper will be? Conor Winn doesn't fill me with confidence - he's conceded far too many preventable goals in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Daniel McDonnell of the Irish Indo reckons United will just about survive. He predicted a 9th place finish in his look ahead to the new season yesterday.

I don't really know what to expect this year, but I'm looking forward to Friday. If the team is sent out to play decent attacking football, and tightens up a bit at the back, I'll be happy.

What's the consensus on who the starting 'keeper will be? Conor Winn doesn't fill me with confidence - he's conceded far too many preventable goals in the last couple of years.
    Nugent has to start in goal IMO. As you said, Winn has made far too many mistakes in the last couple of years.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    GUFC lots of peoples favourites for the drop according to the predictions thread on here. https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057708497

We should be as good/better than Harps,Drogs, Limerick and Bohs,probably Sligo too so I'm not worrying yet. Bray could always go tits up so thats another one.

• Advertisement

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Nugent has to start in goal IMO. As you said, Winn has made far too many mistakes in the last couple of years.

Keeper(Nugent) and back four pick themselves, it's the shape and personnel from midfield forward that's debatable.

Advertisement