Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

I would. Drogheda are definitely one of the three that'll go down this season.
    I'd agree. There is no getting away from how disappointing that was, especially because Drogheda were with respects, a very poor team. It made the loss even more harrowing.

We should have been at least 2-0 up at half time and that is a worry. I feel if we took one of our first half chances, we would've gone on to win the game comfortably.

A fair point was brought up above, we rarely grind out results, we're usually an all or nothing team and I would expect more with the experience that we have added to the team this year.

It's sad that we failed to deliver when there was a big crowd in, it had a sense of "same oul same oul" about it. We face trips to Turners Cross and Finn Park now, we have a terrible record in Cork and Finn Park will essentially be a bog where we will get kicked up and down the pitch and we're not the toughest team in the league. Then it's Shamrock Rovers at home, it doesn't get any easier, we really needed to win that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

If we get nothing from our visit to Donegal next week, it doesn't look good for Rovers the following week. It could be zero from four.
    Friday night blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I watched Shamrock Rovers against Bohs on Friday night and they're not the galacticos that some would lead you to believe. No reason why United shouldn't be looking to get something from that game, especially at home.

That said, avoiding defeat against Finn Harps on Friday is absolutely crucial. Any hopes that this year will be anything other than a battle for survival in the Premier Division are already gone out the window, I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Big home game versus Rovers tonight at 7. Hopefully another improvement after the draw with Harps.

• Advertisement

There are three certainties in life: death, taxes, and Galway losing at home to Shamrock Rovers :(

There are three certainties in life: death, taxes, and Galway losing at home to Shamrock Rovers

Hopefully, losing to most teams in the league, never mind Rovers, will not be another certainty. Next stop Bohs. If we could just get a point there. Is that too much to ask for? Well, given we have one point from twelve, perhaps a tall order.

Work prevented me from going tonight. Any positives to be taken from the performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

I thought they competed fairy well for periods of the game, the 2 goals conceded were both soft, the first one where the centre half tried to use his strength to hold off the striker and ended up on his a**e, found the strength a little bit wanting... the second goal was a messy one where the ball seemed to travel in slow motion across the line after being kicked by one of a couple of unmarked Rovers lads that were queuing up to have a go. I thought the Utd goal was well worked and well finished.

I thought Cunningham was working very hard and looked good before he went off injured, you don't get the same work rate off Faherty, I don't know why they are persisting with the number 17 out on the right side, I think he is completely out of his depth, thought he was poor throughout the warm up games and again tonight. I thought Folan was ok again tonight.

The midfield took a while to settle, too many over hit and inaccurate passes putting the receiving player under excess pressure, really need to work on this in training, its been there in all games I have seen so far this season.

Melody was very lively when he came on, hopefully he can build up a little bit more playing time, with a little experience I think he could develop into a really important player for Galway.

As has been said before the squad is very limited and there is no real game changer on the bench. I think there was about 3 yellow cards for Galway tonight, could spell trouble later in the season with match bans hitting an already tight squad.

Ath trasna wrote:
    I thought they competed fairy well for periods of the game, the 2 goals conceded were both soft, the first one where the centre half tried to use his strength to hold off the striker and ended up on his a**e, found the strength a little bit wanting... the second goal was a messy one where the ball seemed to travel in slow motion across the line after being kicked by one of a couple of unmarked Rovers lads that were queuing up to have a go. I thought the Utd goal was well worked and well finished.

Ath trasna wrote:
    I thought Cunningham was working very hard and looked good before he went off injured, you don't get the same work rate off Faherty, I don't know why they are persisting with the number 17 out on the right side, I think he is completely out of his depth, thought he was poor throughout the warm up games and again tonight. I thought Folan was ok again tonight.

Ath trasna wrote:
    The midfield took a while to settle, too many over hit and inaccurate passes putting the receiving player under excess pressure, really need to work on this in training, its been there in all games I have seen so far this season.

Ath trasna wrote:
    Melody was very lively when he came on, hopefully he can build up a little bit more playing time, with a little experience I think he could develop into a really important player for Galway.

Ath trasna wrote:
    As has been said before the squad is very limited and there is no real game changer on the bench. I think there was about 3 yellow cards for Galway tonight, could spell trouble later in the season with match bans hitting an already tight squad.

That's an enjoyable and interesting summary of the game I have to say. Are you Jimmy Magee in disguise?

• Advertisement

In case anybody didn't realise, both our EA Sports Cup game that was scheduled for tomorrow night and the league game against Derry on Saturday have been postponed due to Derry City's captain Ryan McBride passing away suddenly yesterday evening. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Ath trasna wrote: »

Agree with a lot of this. I thought Folan was ok. Thought Cunningham was doing some good work, though I feel he probably should have been used as the target man. He can clearly cause problems for the defense and throws his weight around. There was very little service into him in the short amount of time he was on the pitch. Murray played quite well, he has a good work rate.

I will say, I haven't been living in Galway. I attended religiously in years past and make a point to catch a match any time I'm home. So my opinion isn't based off going to every match. This Galway team seems much weaker than last season and last seasons seemed weaker than the season before that. It's a worrying trend.

To your point, there is no real game changer. I had thought Cunningham could be that but it looks like he may be the type to get plagued by injuries. It may now explain his lack of action last season when he 'appeared' healthy. Jake Keegan was a huge loss last season. Connolly is another huge loss this season.

In my opinion. Galway United AND Shamrock Rovers were both terrible. In the first half alone, Utd took a throw-in which went nowhere, it went right back over the line for a Rovers thrown in...the first goal was incredibly weak. Balls kicked out over the line when no pressure was on, high balls getting headed to nowhere by the midfield and defense. Mistakes were made even with no pressure, in fact at once point when play had stopped a Utd player went to kick the ball over to the player set to take the throw in and missed by about 30 feet.

It was very concerning that the manager was not in the dug out during the first half. I can't fathom why that might be so soon into the season when things are not going well.

The quality of the league seems or at least seemed to be improving a bit despite the downturn and issues with players only getting one year contracts, doing well and then heading abroad. I don't see improvements in Galway Utd this season.

The EA Sports Cup match v Mayo League that was meant to be played during the week has been re-fixed for Monday night. 7.45pm kick-off.

I'm very interested to see that match as I'm sure a couple of lads on the fringes will get game time. Will be interesting to see how they respond.

It seems we're going from week to week saying "this is a big game" but I think Sligo Rovers in Terryland on Friday could be the real acid test. By all accounts they're awful this season and United really are desperate for a first league win after drawing and losing games against Finn Harps and Drogheda when we should've won.

Win, arguably Robertson gets sacked for Sligo, a draw doesn't do us much good, lose and it's panic stations for us and the pressure continues to grow and doubt continues to fester.

According to the official site Maurice Nugent, Gavan Holohan, Alex Byrne (suspended) and Padraic Cunningham are all out, while Kevin Devany is considered a major doubt

Starting eleven?
    Nugent
    Horgan Grace Folan Ludden
    Sinnott Cawley
    Shanahan Murray Melody
    Faherty

We really really need to win this game but you couldn't back us...

It seems we're going from week to week saying "this is a big game" but I think Sligo Rovers in Terryland on Friday could be the real acid test. By all accounts they're awful this season and United really are desperate for a first league win after drawing and losing games against Finn Harps and Drogheda when we should've won.

Win, arguably Robertson gets sacked for Sligo, a draw doesn't do us much good, lose and it's panic stations for us and the pressure continues to grow and doubt continues to fester.

According to the official site Maurice Nugent, Gavan Holohan, Alex Byrne (suspended) and Padraic Cunningham are all out, while Kevin Devany is considered a major doubt

Starting eleven?
    Nugent
    Horgan Grace Folan Ludden
    Sinnott Cawley
    Shanahan Murray Melody
    Faherty

We really really need to win this game but you couldn't back us...
    Folan and Devaney are 50/50 apparently. We need Devaney badly and Folan too, if both are out then id imagine it will be Sinno and Grace at cb with a young player coming into the middle with Cawley. Devaney gives us that ability to run at people. The rest id agree with though, the three behind Vinny are the best available. We really do need to win this game, its a huge one so early in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Murray has been great but really he's the only one doing it at the moment. Needs some help. Draws are not going to keep them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Anyone worth signing from the Mayo league?

Paddico wrote: »
    Anyone worth signing from the Mayo league?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

No.

Ah that's harsh the physio did a decent job

I understand two managers have parted company this early in the campaign. United, albeit with a game in hand, firmly lodged in the bottom. If results continue to be woeful, what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No talk of getting us (Derry) in the cup draw?

Monday 17th April.

bobbyss wrote: »
    I understand two managers have parted company this early in the campaign. United, albeit with a game in hand, firmly lodged in the bottom. If results continue to be woeful, what do you think?
    Two clubs with different expectations to our own. Limerick are spending big this year, possibly in the top 4 when it comes to budgets. Sligo finished 5th last year after a poor start, they would also be aiming for the top half and they're someway off that and there were murmurings that Robertson was a dead man walking for a while.

I'd say staying up and a decent run in the Cup(s) will represent a very good season for United, I wouldn't rule that out yet. Even if we wanted to get rid of Keegan, he's on a two year contract and I'd say we're still paying off Tommy Dunne and money is always tight at the club, I doubt we could even afford to sack him.

The Premier Division is quite a bit more competitive this year as well. Wexford, and the absolutely woeful Longford have been replaced by the big spending Limerick and Drogheda who have some good players and benefit from being able to easily draw from players in the capital a few mins down the road.

I feel like the current United team could do damage if things clicked. Hopefully that happens sooner rather than later. Too many games we've failed to make it pay when we were on top and gave away points because of stupid mistakes.

NIMAN wrote: »
    No talk of getting us (Derry) in the cup draw?

Monday 17th April.

Yet another Monday game at home.

That can't be helping the club's finances, as it's not a good night for drawing a crowd. 1,000 people, give or take, for a crucial game against Sligo earlier this week proves that...

Lost 1-0 in Bray tonight.

It's little consolation, but McCabe handled the ball to control it in the process of scoring Bray's goal and a few minutes later, Conor Melody nearly had the shirt pulled off him as he shaped to shoot in the box, but the ref did nothing. Went into HT 1-0 down instead of possibly the other way around.

Lost 1-0 in Bray tonight.

It's little consolation, but McCabe handled the ball to control it in the process of scoring Bray's goal and a few minutes later, Conor Melody nearly had the shirt pulled off him as he shaped to shoot in the box, but the ref did nothing. Went into HT 1-0 down instead of possibly the other way around.

I believe Bray had a player sent off? We clearly did not take advantage with a man up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

What are the fans general opinions of the Comer brothers? I keep hearing that the club is in financing difficulty but aren't the Comers supposed to be supporting the club? They worth nearly €1,000,000,000 between them. Surely they can afford to bankroll GUFC to the extent that they would have the biggest budget in the league?

• Advertisement

The Comers aren't pumping stupid sums of money into the club. They are the main sponsors. Who is telling you the club is in financial difficulty?

Cash flow during the season is an issue for every club. Crap gates from Monday night games and postponed fixtures put a strain on things, as it does for any club.

Just because the Comers are minted doesn't mean they are or should be pumping cash into the club in the way you mean.

Advertisement