Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

The Comers aren't pumping stupid sums of money into the club. They are the main sponsors. Who is telling you the club is in financial difficulty?

Cash flow during the season is an issue for every club. Crap gates from Monday night games and postponed fixtures put a strain on things, as it does for any club.

Just because the Comers are minted doesn't mean they are or should be pumping cash into the club in the way you mean.
    I probably worded it poorly but I meant that the club isn't exactly comfortably financially either. I just asked because there seems to be other clubs in the league that can offer good wages to players and GUFC can't. I know they're only sponsors but it would take little or no money (to the Comers at least) to give Galway United significant financial clout in the league so I was just wondering why they don't.

You mentioned the word "pumping" as if I'm talking millions. Pocket change to the Comers is all that would be needed. It's the LoI not the Premier League.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I don't know anything about the Comers, but the story on the pitch this season doesn't make for pretty reading.

Seven league games
    No wins
    Three draws
    Four defeats
    Only four goals scored - three by Ronan Murray

I didn't think I'd be saying this, but I'm starting to miss the Tommy Dunne era.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The Comers aren't pumping stupid sums of money into the club. They are the main sponsors. Who is telling you the club is in financial difficulty?

Cash flow during the season is an issue for every club. Crap gates from Monday night games and postponed fixtures put a strain on things, as it does for any club.

Just because the Comers are minted doesn't mean they are or should be pumping cash into the club in the way you mean.

Who owns United and when you say the Comers are the main sponsors, what does that actually mean? How much are they sponsoring United for? Where does the sponsored money go? What is the purpose of sponsorship?

To make the club successful... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

bobbyss wrote: »
    Who owns United and when you say the Comers are the main sponsors, what does that actually mean? How much are they sponsoring United for? Where does the sponsored money go? What is the purpose of sponsorship?

To make the club successful... ?

Mervue salthill Galway fa gust and the co-op own gufc. The sponsorship is of course confidential and the money is used to run the club.

Mervue salthill Galway fa gust and the co-op own gufc. The sponsorship is of course confidential and the money is used to run the club.

I see.

Lets imagine the Comers are putting €50,000 into the club by way of sponsorship.

The monies are used for different purposes, I can only imagine, towards maintenance, players' salaries etc etc.

Who exactly decides how the monies are spent?

• Advertisement

I see.

Lets imagine the Comers are putting €50,000 into the club by way of sponsorship.

The monies are used for different purposes, I can only imagine, towards maintenance, players' salaries etc etc.

Who exactly decides how the monies are spent?

Same as any other company. Its the board of directors

Same as any other company. Its the board of directors

Yes.
    I just looked up the list of the board and I only recognise two names. Comer and former player McLaughlin.

The rest I have no idea who they are but presumably they are businessmen who are successful in their own field if not presently with United. Hopefully that will change.

Keegan will pay a price inevitably if things continue to go bad. That's what happens managers even if he has, as I understand it, a two year contract.

To what extent is the Board accountable? if the Board of a football club mismanages it, who do they answer to?

Yes.
    I just looked up the list of the board and I only recognise two names. Comer and former player McLaughlin.

The rest I have no idea who they are but presumably they are businessmen who are successful in their own field if not presently with United. Hopefully that will change.

Keegan will pay a price inevitably if things continue to go bad. That's what happens managers even if he has, as I understand it, a two year contract.

To what extent is the Board accountable? if the Board of a football club mismanages it, who do they answer to?
    The owners... Same as any other company. If you want to get involved join the trust or the co-op

The owners... Same as any other company. If you want to get involved join the trust or the co-op

Absolutely do not want to get involved.

Let's just hope things improve.

The city needs a successful football team not a team languishing.

Absolutely do not want to get involved.

Let's just hope things improve.

The city needs a successful football team not a team languishing.

You can help by just joining the trust, the coop or just playing the lotto. All funds raised help to improve things

• Advertisement

You can help by just joining the trust, the coop or just playing the lotto. All funds raised help to improve things

I know.

I attend the games as often as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Suprised how far back we seem to have gone. I knew Connolly and Walsh were going to be big losses but thought keeping Horgan and Faherty and getting Murray (who is doing very well) would help keep things steady on the personel side. I think its the Keegan/Dunne switch that is damning us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Disagree with you there. Things had gotten very bad under Dunne. Some will argue the fault was not with Dunne, I don't personally agree with that, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter why things aren't working under a manager. He is ultimately responsible for affairs on the pitch and if he can't fix it he has to go. Connolly is a talented player, but was never staying and Walsh was not going to be a starter. It was better for him to go somewhere he would play.

Disagree with you there. Things had gotten very bad under Dunne. Some will argue the fault was not with Dunne, I don't personally agree with that, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter why things aren't working under a manager. He is ultimately responsible for affairs on the pitch and if he can't fix it he has to go. Connolly is a talented player, but was never staying and Walsh was not going to be a starter. It was better for him to go somewhere he would play.
    I prefered Walsh to Grace. I get why Keegan wanted Grace but still think that was a slight step back. Our squad hasnt disimproved this much. Maybe give Nugent a run as #1.

Are you suggesting Keegan should go if results do not improve?

pjohnson wrote: »
    I prefered Walsh to Grace. I get why Keegan wanted Grace but still think that was a slight step back.

Grace is not a left back and Walsh is not a centre-half. It's a nonsense argument.

Grace was the standout player for Wexford in the Premier. Keegan saw more than enough of Walsh over the years and especially last season to know he wasn't up to it.
    Maybe give Nugent a run as #1.

Winn certainly isn't the answer, but remains to be seen whether Nugent is either. I was attributing Nugent's mistakes thus far to be being over-eager, but I don't know. I'd lean towards playing him ahead of Winn for now all the same. Winn made some ok saves v Bray for example, but he's nearly always good for a blunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The difference between Grace and Walshy is night and day. Grace is assured, quick, strong, a decent passed and super comfortable on the ball. Walshy will give his all and always did, but he was frequently targeted by teams towards the end of last season as the weak link in the back four.

The sacking of a manager is a last, sad resort but a fact of footballing life that must be faced up to.

If a manager can not get results, I suppose he does have to go, as you say.

Grace is not a left back and Walsh is not a centre-half. It's a nonsense argument.

Grace was the standout player for Wexford in the Premier. Keegan saw more than enough of Walsh over the years and especially last season to know he wasn't up to it.

Winn certainly isn't the answer, but remains to be seen whether Nugent is either. I was attributing Nugent's mistakes thus far to be being over-eager, but I don't know. I'd lean towards playing him ahead of Winn for now all the same. Winn made some ok saves v Bray for example, but he's nearly always good for a blunder.

I know Grace and Walsh aren't identical but I just meant as a whole our defence has downgraded a small bit.

The Winn situation needs addressing. He regularly starts the season as #1 but gets dropped regularly for our other goalkeepers due to his mistakes. I know hes fairly young for a goalkeeper but his inconsistency is a major drawback.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

I prefered Walsh to Grace. I get why Keegan wanted Grace but still think that was a slight step back.
    Is that a joke? Walsh was one of our worst performers last season. Grace has been one of the few bright sparks in our season so far. I can't understand the hype around Walsh, "he'll run through brick walls for you" etc. He was extremely limited, his ball use was terrible and his positioning left a lot to be desired. He was consistently the poorest performer in our back four last year and he was released because of that.

I see a few people (not saying you) having a go at United about Walsh and Curran being let go (mostly Junior heads that wouldn't even darken Terryland's door or "extended family members"), as if they'd make a massive difference to us (parochialism at its most sickening, which is rife in Galway football unfortunately).

Neither Walsh or Curran are exactly setting the world alight at Longford Town, who were fancied by many to challenge for the First Division alongside Waterford, they're currently second last in the Division.

• Advertisement

Is that a joke? Walsh was one of our worst performers last season. Grace has been one of the few bright sparks in our season so far. I can't understand the hype around Walsh, "he'll run through brick walls for you" etc. He was extremely limited, his ball use was terrible and his positioning left a lot to be desired. He was consistently the poorest performer in our back four last year and he was released because of that.

I see a few people (not saying you) having a go at United about Walsh and Curran being let go (mostly Junior heads that wouldn't even darken Terryland's door or "extended family members"), as if they'd make a massive difference to us (parochialism at its most sickening, which is rife in Galway football unfortunately).

Neither Walsh or Curran are exactly setting the world alight at Longford Town, who were fancied by many to challenge for the First Division alongside Waterford, they're currently second last in the Division.

Curran is awful

Curran is awful

Curran is talented. Has ability some LOI strikers would love, but he doesn't have the work ethic, which is a terrible shame. Often gets overconfident when he has a few good games then drops off again. No lack of confidence is great usually, but not if it interferes with the effort you put in.

Curran is talented. Has ability some LOI strikers would love, but he doesn't have the work ethic, which is a terrible shame. Often gets overconfident when he has a few good games then drops off again. No lack of confidence is great usually, but not if it interferes with the effort you put in.

Talent is well and good but its worthless without effort.

Curran is awful
    Curran is nowhere near awful, he's a very capable player, who could easily play Premier Division football, but he has a poor attitude and that is his downfall.

There is a reason he is constantly injured over the last few years, he doesn't put the work in and as a result, he's never fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

I prefered Walsh to Grace. I get why Keegan wanted Grace but still think that was a slight step back. Our squad hasnt disimproved this much. Maybe give Nugent a run as #1.

Have you watched a single game this season. Grace has been one of our better players in most games. I'd hate to think how our defence would be doing this season if he wasn't in the team.

Defence isn't the problem its creativity and goal scoring that's the problem.

Curran is nowhere near awful, he's a very capable player, who could easily play Premier Division football, but he has a poor attitude and that is his downfall.

There is a reason he is constantly injured over the last few years, he doesn't put the work in and as a result, he's never fit.
    Maybe "awful" was the wrong word. But I certainly dont miss him from the club. Hes no longer a youngster with potential to improve his mentality. Hes likely not ever going to change so hes wasting his talent, thats his choice but let him waste it in a non maroon jersey.

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Have you watched a single game this season. Grace has been one of our better players in most games. I'd hate to think how our defence would be doing this season if he wasn't in the team.

Defence isn't the problem its creativity and goal scoring that's the problem.

Ok I retract all statements. Everything is fine. Curran is a major loss, Grace POTY and we should be delighted with the season so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭masalbeagdubh

If ever there was a must win game it has to be tomorrow night.

Ok I retract all statements. Everything is fine. Curran is a major loss, Grace POTY and we should be delighted with the season so far.

Put your toys back in the pram. You can't possibly suggest that adding Grace to the back four and letting Walsh go is a step back. Walsh wouldn't even have started in his natural position. God help us if you can't handle your anonymous opinions being criticised on the internet.

Big, big game tomorrow.

• Advertisement

If ever there was a must win game it has to be tomorrow night.
    This X10.

We've been talking about must win games in recent matches but St. Pats really is massive. A win and we're within touching distances of 2-3 teams, depending on other results over the weekend.

We haven't given our supporters anything to shout about so far this season but I really hope there is least 1,000+ at Terryland, the players will need the backing.

Advertisement