Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Every corner Pat' s get goes to the far post. And there's another one. 0-1 .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Need to bring the performance of the closing stages tonight into next week. Another goal for Ronan Murray, but wins are needed at home. A draw v Pats wouldn't have been a disaster in many previous years, but they are no great shakes and we gave them far far too much respect.

We need a midfielder with a bit of guile. Where is John Russell when you need him. We need to cross the ball better. Murray had the best cross of the evening. Unfortunately he needed to be in the box and not delivering. Didn't understand why the keeper punted the ball up to Murray. He lost them all. Most of our corners were poor. So many didn't get past the first man. There was a lot of energy at the end but we need an incisive winger who can take on someone with confidence and zip it in. Murray needs a partner. Flaherty was anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Great result last night. Is there a match on Monday night too?

Great result last night. Is there a match on Monday night too?

There is. We're playing Derry City in the last 16 of the EA Sports Cup in Terryland. 7.45pm kick-off.

We are away to Limerick in the league on Friday, which isn't a long trip for anyone that is so inclined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭masalbeagdubh

Thought Faherty was lively when he came on. He won a few frees in good areas and was very nearly on the end of a couple of crosses. Real issue is the quality of the final ball in. You won't get that type of player unless you spend the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Thought Faherty was lively when he came on. He won a few frees in good areas and was very nearly on the end of a couple of crosses. Real issue is the quality of the final ball in. You won't get that type of player unless you spend the cash.

Nail on the head. Vinny gave us a focal point to the attack which was non existent until he came on. He occupied Peers and Feely quite well and won his share of headers and flick ons. Vinny game is based on getting the ball in the box to him, twice we came close and he was near but the appalling crosses kept coming apart from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Not sure what Match ye were all watching. It was dire rubbish in the first half. The defence is a shambles. Pats looked like scoring everything they went forward. All the players are just ball watching from set pieces. Nobody was challenging for the ball from corners. Pats had free headers time and time again. We would be better off without a goalkeeper than having winn there.

The last 2 subs made the difference. They added impetuous into our game. If we keep those 2 on the pitch we have a chance on Friday.

Lively yeah I agree. He's a good player. And experienced.

But I expect more from a striker than winning a few frees and nearly getting onto a couple of crosses. He scored 7 in 8 or 8 in 7 this time last year.

What's happened him? He seemed bulkier I have to say. Maybe the fruits of Johnny O'Connor's work or a few burgers too many. Probably and hopefully the former.

I don't know what the average age of the squad is (I think it actually compares favourably with other squads) but it strikes me as a very and maybe too young a squad. I think all but two on the bench last night were under 21.

It is a game we really had to win. Pat's were poor. But a draw was a fair result. At least the gap is closer. What's awful is that even if we win our next game we will still be bottom.

Not sure what Match ye were all watching. It was dire rubbish in the first half. The defence is a shambles. Pats looked like scoring everything they went forward. All the players are just ball watching from set pieces. Nobody was challenging for the ball from corners. Pats had free headers time and time again. We would be better off without a goalkeeper than having winn there.

The last 2 subs made the difference. They added impetuous into our game. If we keep those 2 on the pitch we have a chance on Friday.

First twenty-minutes was two teams not wanting to make mistakes. We were dominant from there to half time, don't think Winn had a save to make all night. We can't defend set pieces, it's been like that since TD'S first year so that's not news. We were on top for the second half and pummeled them from the substitutes time onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Great to have Holohan and Devaney back. I'd like to see both starting against Derry City in the league cup on Monday, but keeping an eye on the Limerick game on Friday, maybe taking them off after 60-65 minutes.

Good win tonight, defended well for the most part and took our chances to get the goals. Some good performances by the younger lads who came in and especially by the returning Holohan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Gotta feel sorry for Derry, that's four games in row they've lost since the passing of Ryan McBride.

Gotta feel sorry for Derry, that's four games in row they've lost since the passing of Ryan McBride.

As much as we needed the win for the confidence, I didn't feel much in the way of joy at the full-time whistle. I'm enjoying the win more in hindsight.

Big match now down the road in Limerick on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

As much as we needed the win for the confidence. I didn't feel much in the way of joy at the full-time whistle. I'm enjoying the win more in hindsight.

Big match now down the road in Limerick on Friday.

I know what you and it's gonna be the same when Limerick travel up their Tuesday week, you kinda feel guilty about thinking this is a good time to be playing Derry giving the circumstances.

Hopefully another three points for Limerick though :) need to keep up the recent good form in the league since Russell left.

Such a pity we don't even have one win to our name.
    How long now have we been bottom of the table?
    Why are we in this mess?

One win would mean so much. Is that too much to ask for?

The goals from Friday. Belter from Cawley.

The goals from Friday. Belter from Cawley.

A cracking hit alright, an okay point in the end. Friday will be very tough though, id happily take a point right now.

Champions in town tonight. Match preview.

Better shot of Cawley's cracker on Friday

Skip to 1:40

Absolutely superb win tonight. We deserved a draw but I think the brave performance earned the bit of luck for the winning goal. Great night to be up there.

• Advertisement

I think the brave performance earned the bit of luck for the winning goal.

They have been going the wrong side of the post all season. About time. It seemed that every goal we got was after pure toil and would never come easy.

Great result. Our first win. And past time.

I wasn't at the game but read a report which said the ball was bobbling along the pitch. I never heard a complaint like that before. I was at a game a few weeks ago and noticed churned up grass under both goals. I don't think that was as ever as pronounced before.

There was a time when Terryland/EDP won best playing surface I think for a few years. Is the pitch deteriorating or has the excellent groundsman changed or are there more games being played on it? Will it withstand a season?

The pitch belongs to the Galway FA and is played on very regularly. Galway WFC play on it, the Galway District league teams play on it, from junior right down the grades. All the division cup finals at all grades etc. It's just impossible for it to be immaculate. The bobbles are apparent on the wings. It won't be resolved until it can get a bit of a break when the junior season is over I'd imagine.

Still though, compare it to the rest of the LOI and the list of pitches that are better isn't a long one.

3 wins in 4 now.

One against the champions in the league and another against a full-strength Sligo Rovers on their own patch, despite Keegan making 9 changes. Beat Derry 2-0 as well, against an arguably stronger side on paper.

Drogheda away in the league on Friday is massively important. A win could lift us out of the relegation zone completely and still have a game in hand over eveyone, against Derry at home on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Cork City, 12 league games, 12 wins... United with one loss in 11 games.

I'd love for us to stop their run... keep our own going, hopefully a decent crowd at Terryland to get behind the lads.

Great evening for a game. Should be good.

http://galwayunitedfc.ie/match-preview-cork-city-3/

Stephen Folan looking to prove himself against his former club

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/stephen-folan-continue-commemorate-father-10401089

You'd hope a few more would be hoping to prove that the Dundalk result wasn't a flash in the pan.

Great evening for a game. Should be good.

http://galwayunitedfc.ie/match-preview-cork-city-3/

Stephen Folan looking to prove himself against his former club

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/stephen-folan-continue-commemorate-father-10401089

You'd hope a few more would be hoping to prove that the Dundalk result wasn't a flash in the pan.

Heres hoping.

Great game so far. United with the better of it in the first half, but 0-0 at the break.

Cork got a lucky deflected goal nearly 15 mins into the second half. United replied almost immediately through Stephen Folan who cushioned a header into the net from a Colm Horgan free-kick.

1-1

A super point and an excellent performance from all eleven on the pitch. Great night in EDP again.

• Advertisement

Good game. Good to stop Cork. Should boost confidence more.
    Keeper having difficulty with kick outs. We don't have much in the way of strikers.
    But good spirit. Goalmouth spree towards the end not good for the heart. Pity last minute free kick didn't go in. Shepard was good, very skillful and was very effective, painful as it is to say that. Maguire was kept quiet.

Did anyone see the extra time board going up as we played over fifty one minutes in the second half? It was used towards the end for subs but I didn't see it again.

Why don't we have a clock on the scoreboard? There used to be one which used to work sometimes. Why isn't such a basic thing sorted out?

Advertisement