Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DuhJerk

There was five minutes added time given, maybe bit extra for subs.

Thinking back, that last minute pen against St. Pats a month ago felt like a turning point for the team with regards to their attitude and mentality. They seem to be working together better and better since then.

We're difficult to beat, hopefully we can develop a bit more sharpness going forward with the chance to get some wins over the next few week's games,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Playing much better recently but way too many draws. That's 8 now. With 3 going down wins are needed. At least they are still in touch after an awful start.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I know it's been said of many games already this season, but Friday at home to Harps really is crucial.

A win and the 'unbeaten' momentum gathers pace.

A draw would keep United in the relegation zone and wouldn't really be good enough.

A defeat and the battle for survival gets a whole lot tougher.

I know it's not a 'glamour' fixture but hopefully there will be a decent crowd and atmosphere given the importance of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

I know it's been said of many games already this season, but Friday at home to Harps really is crucial.

A win and the 'unbeaten' momentum gathers pace.

A draw would keep United in the relegation zone and wouldn't really be good enough.

A defeat and the battle for survival gets a whole lot tougher.

I know it's not a 'glamour' fixture but hopefully there will be a decent crowd and atmosphere given the importance of the match.

Cant fault the atmosphere at any of the games I've been to this year. Crowds are as usual, disappointing, with the lack of interest from the local media and the general sporting public in Galway. Saying that have had had a few friends going to games for the first time this year and nearly them all are return visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We are playing good stuff, defending brilliantly and our luck is turning. The Galway sporting public are one off event junkies who hop on a bandwagon as soon as it pulls up, if we win a game or two we'll get few of them in.

• Advertisement

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Crowds are as usual, disappointing, with the lack of interest from the local media and the general sporting public in Galway. Saying that have had had a few friends going to games for the first time this year and nearly them all are return visitors.

The thing is, while I strongly disagree with the switch to a 10-team Premier Division, the 3-team drop zone has made for a really interesting and competitive league this year.

Cork may be running away with the title, but it's a bit of a free-for-all after that with every game important and every team capable of taking points off everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

_Puma_ wrote:
    Cant fault the atmosphere at any of the games I've been to this year. Crowds are as usual, disappointing, with the lack of interest from the local media and the general sporting public in Galway. Saying that have had had a few friends going to games for the first time this year and nearly them all are return visitors.

Yeah the atmosphere is good if tense sometimes. The attendance last week was 1231 I believe but it seemed larger to me. There were about 350 Cork people there I would say. But we are bottom of the table with one league win under our belts so we can't complain really. One victory would be a tremendous spur however. But if we can hold fly away Cork ( the only team to do that in the league this season ) then we really have to push on and be ruthless against everyone else. Starting next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

bobbyss wrote: »
    But we are bottom of the table with one league win under our belts so we can't complain really. One victory would be a tremendous spur however.
    Completely agree with this assessment. I think our average attendance is around the 1,300 mark and we've been bottom for 95% of the season, I don't think we should just expect 1,500 people to turn up regardless of our form.

Like it or not, if we win a few games and shoot up the table, the attendances will improve, that's just the way it goes.

We have a big chance to pick up three points against a struggling Finn Harps team on Friday, a win will likely take us out of the bottom 3 at least, if not into mid table. I think these are the types of games that will define our season, we have to win it.

Half way there. I think three teams go down this season. It looks like we are one of them . Draws just about keep us in touch. But it's wins that will keep us up. We simply aren't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Beat Dundalk and drew with City. So the talent is there, are they movidated enough playing teams around them, they could/should be beating or do they rise the bigger occasion? Struggled to put Harps away a few weeks ago. But having done so I though you would kick on. If I recall correctly there was 4/5 teams on 14 points a few weeks ago? A couple of wins is all it would take.

• Advertisement

joeysoap wrote: »
    Beat Dundalk and drew with City. So the talent is there, are they movidated enough playing teams around them, they could/should be beating or do they rise the bigger occasion? Struggled to put Harps away a few weeks ago. But having done so I though you would kick on. If I recall correctly there was 4/5 teams on 14 points a few weeks ago? A couple of wins is all it would take.

I agree with all of this. On paper the team should be good enough to survive, but football isn't played on paper. There have been way too many sluggish starts in games this season. They didn't start playing against Harps or Bohs until the second half.

Keegan virtually conceded the Shamrock Rovers game in Tallaght in advance - by saying his main focus was on Bohs the following Friday - which proved to be a disaster. As St Pat's showed last night, it's not impossible for struggling teams to go to Tallaght and get a result.

So, in summary, I think there's enough talent in the team to turn it around but I don't have great confidence in Keegan as a manager and I'm not convinced he will lead United to safety. Hope I'm wrong.

joeysoap wrote: »

Yeah it's just a few wins that would make such a big difference. But we seem not to be able to get them. Dundalk are not the Dundalk of last year (even though they are still very good). We played well against Cork but maybe Cork had an off day too. I haven't seen all the games but I would like to think that they give a 100% and I think they do. I hope they do. I don't know about transfers and I don't know what players are available or who would want to come west. I am not aware of any stand out U19 player(s). I don't know what money is available either. Pity an investor wouldn't stick in a few bob to entice quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

So is Murray moving to Cork City then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

It was in the Sun. It must be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Paddico wrote: »
    So is Murray moving to Cork City then?

Doubt it sure it would be a long commute to play with GUFC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Yep, Aaron Connelly from West has been approached and the club have signed McCormack, the striker from Ballinasloe who got a hattrick in the Junior cup final.

A few years ago we went a season without winning a single game as far as I can remember. This season is not as bad. But pretty miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭masalbeagdubh

Crowd were very quiet until the second half. The first half performance was awful. The momentum after Galway pulled a goal back was lost with holahans injury saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Johnny O'Connor back to Connacht

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

With Bray melting surely we could try a punt on some of their lads till seasons end.

Is there any reason that GUFC don't get a one off crowd pulling friendly any more?.

Very disappointing to see all the clubs around the country pulling in English teams and Galway haven't had anyone in years now.

I don't get the logic behind it.

Is there any reason that GUFC don't get a one off crowd pulling friendly any more?.

Very disappointing to see all the clubs around the country pulling in English teams and Galway haven't had anyone in years now.

I don't get the logic behind it.

The cost often outweighs any marginal benefits.

pjohnson wrote:
    Johnny O'Connor back to Connacht

Any reason for that? Was his contract up or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Massive game against Drogheda tomorrow night. Galway having good recent results and Drogheda been poor lately, you would have to think we are favorites. Was nearly 1500 at the Limerick game who got a real treat in terms of the football on display by Galway. If ya are at a loose end tomorrow evening ya could do worse than popping into Terryland. Get there early and grab a beer in the bar before kick off.

Looking forward to Friday now, gonna be a huge game, we need to be at it from the start this time and not give them any incentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

A must win game, we have to be beating Drogheda. If we go through a season without beating Drogheda once, then we deserve to be relegated. I think we'll do it, just about, 2-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭Guffy

Caught in work again. How's the crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭masalbeagdubh

Great win against a very poor Drogheda team. Confidence must be building now and it was a great hatrick. I still can`t understand why they start games so badly. The first 10-15 minutes was shocking and lucky not to go behind. I couldn`t understand why Conor Winn couldn`t launch the ball towards Podge instead of rolling it out to the backs and inviting trouble.

• Advertisement

Great win against a very poor Drogheda team. Confidence must be building now and it was a great hatrick. I still can`t understand why they start games so badly. The first 10-15 minutes was shocking and lucky not to go behind. I couldn`t understand why Conor Winn couldn`t launch the ball towards Podge instead of rolling it out to the backs and inviting trouble.

First were far from shocking. We were trying to draw them out instead of letting them sit deep as they did when beating us previously. Drawing them out worked well, we scored from getting in behind on the first goal. Lumping the ball at Podge is a waste of time.

Advertisement