Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Hoping for at least 1,500 and a win heading into the Bray Wanderers game in two weeks.
    Wow... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wow... :eek:

Good call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That Devaney goal was one of the best goals I've ever seen. Huge performance from the lads after going 1-0 down. Great to see some woodwork getting rattled too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

_Puma_ wrote:
    Rumors Sligo are bringing 500 supporters down tonight. We need a big turnout from the home crowd!

That's impressive. On average I wonder how may United supporters have been attending our away games throughout the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Great atmosphere, great crowd and great win! Apart from a period of about 25 minutes in the first half where Galway were bullied off the ball by Sligo we played some great football. The hole Grace has left on leaving for Rovers is definitely evident with a few of the crosses put in by Sligo but if we can keep a hold of the ball like last night we should be ok. If we can snatch a win against either Bray or Limerick, going by the way we are playing currently is a possibility, we should be ok.

Fair play to Sligo and their fans, if that goal wasn't ruled offside in the second half it could have been a very different result but them are the margins in this league currently. Far to often Galway have been on the wrong side of it already this year.

The Co-Op usually gets a bus going to away games so anywhere from 50 to 100 away fans for most games. The Galway travelling support has been very good all year and the players and management do seem to appreciate it. The away trip to Limerick should draw a big support from the Galway fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Well, it's pretty much out of our own hands now after tonight. Home to Dundalk....... while Sligo have Derry tomorrow night, then away to the Drogs on the final day which should be a gimme.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Well, it's pretty much out of our own hands now after tonight. Home to Dundalk....... while Sligo have Derry tomorrow night, then away to the Drogs on the final day which should be a gimme.

Was out of our hands before last night, eo no different really. Another game we should have won, chances not taken. A point against Dundalk could be enough if results go our way, could also be all over bar the shouting if Sligo win tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭Guffy

Was out of our hands before last night, eo no different really. Another game we should have won, chances not taken. A point against Dundalk could be enough if results go our way, could also be all over bar the shouting if Sligo win tonight.

How would a point be enough. Even if derry win tonight, you'd have to imagine Sligo would beat Drogheda

Edit... "could".... sorry misread

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Could still catch St Pat's too, if they lose to Derry on the final day and we beat Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Thought I was dreamland last night when we went into half time 2 goals up instead of being 2 or even 3 goals down ourselves. Sligo lose tonight and I think yell be safe and should beat Dundalk who'll send a weakend team with the cup final coming up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Thought I was dreamland last night when we went into half time 2 goals up instead of being 2 or even 3 goals down ourselves. Sligo lose tonight and I think yell be safe and should beat Dundalk who'll send a weakend team with the cup final coming up.

If McEleney, Duffy, Connolly, Massey are fit they will all play as they need match fitness. But I can't see Dundalk putting in 50:50 tackles. Probably not play O'Donnell for the full match.

I can see Derry getting a draw tonight and getting 3rd place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The 2 missed penos in the last 3 games has cost us 4 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Looks grim now. Have to beat Dundalk and pray either Pat's or Sligo lose. Going down would be a huge blow as they'll no doubt lose all their best players again. Had plenty of chances to win games recently but just couldn't convert an awful lot of draws into wins. 14 draws tells it's own story. They've actually lost less games than 5 teams above them and have a better goal difference than 4 teams above them but just too many draws.

Unfortunately Sligo only have to play the awful Drogs so should be able to get at least a point there. Pat's have to go to Derry which might be interesting depending on how bothered Derry are in signing off the season with a good performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Looks grim now. Have to beat Dundalk and pray either Pat's or Sligo lose. Going down would be a huge blow as they'll no doubt lose all their best players again. Had plenty of chances to win games recently but just couldn't convert an awful lot of draws into wins. 14 draws tells it's own story. They've actually lost less games than 5 teams above them and have a better goal difference than 4 teams above them but just too many draws.

Unfortunately Sligo only have to play the awful Drogs so should be able to get at least a point there. Pat's have to go to Derry which might be interesting depending on how bothered Derry are in signing off the season with a good performance.
    They, they, they! Are you not from Galway? :P Just messing.

It's hard to disagree with anything you said at all. Fairly simple equation for United, it's a must win against Dundalk and hope that Sligo or Pats lose against Drogheda or Derry.

I think we will do enough to beat Dundalk, I'm sure they will not field a terribly weakened team but they will rest some key players and United will want it more on the day, but I think results elsewhere will decide things unfortunately. For me, neither Pats nor Sligo will lose to a half arsed Derry and an already relegated Drogheda team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

And that's that!!! :(
    Hopefully we'll come back up next season. The fact that there is now an U15, U17 and U19 setup at the club should help in the future for sure.

Hard luck lads. Terrific performance tonight. That first match against Drogheda was the difference.

my favourite away match ( both venue and city)

Hope you bounce back, soon.

I know you probably didn't notice but Dundalk didn't celebrate that last goal. We were gutted for you.

So what happens next? Does the manager go and lots of players? What are the chances of bouncing back? Didn't we lose our very first game ( or two) and from the get go we were always chasing. I think Bray had a great start and I just wish that had been us. Why do we always struggle in football? Why is it always a misery fest ? There was a time a few weeks ago when we managed to get out of relegation zone but we were back in it a few days later. I think outside of those few days we were in the bottom three all season. So depressing. Does the rugby impact negatively as Connacht were at home too. Felt proud of the boys in the last month but I just wish to God we could have a team that flies high at the top level. Galway is bigger than Dundalk yet significantly is further away from Dublin and many prospective players probably wouldn't fancy the West.

Don't know much about the second tier or whether getting back will be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

It's hard to say about the fans. Last night was pretty much a forlorn hope, Connacht were playing up the road, so you could see why the locals might have stayed away. But there was a huge crowd and the place was hopping.
    It seems United only get the crowds when they're flying high or approaching disaster.
    Regarding manager and team. Losing the manager won't be much of a loss IMO, but I'm afraid we'll lose a lot of decent players as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

It seems United only get the crowds when they're flying high or approaching disaster
    They only get a crowd when it's an occasion. For a regular old loi game 1200 is about all they are ever going to get. That's just the way it is. If they were playing a European game or winning the league then you'd see 3,000+ in there.

They only get a crowd when it's an occasion. For a regular old loi game 1200 is about all they are ever going to get. That's just the way it is. If they were playing a European game or winning the league then you'd see 3,000+ in there.

The ground was full when we played some Liverpool eleven a few years ago. The prospects of a European game are somewhat slim for a considerable period of time.
    I think the Connacht thing is important even though they rarely play at home on Friday at the same time. Some supporters will like to go to a game at the weekend either a Saturday or a Friday but not necessarily twice. So it's either the football or rugby when they play at home on the same weekend .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Black Friday offer on GUFC season tickets until midnight.

http://galwayunitedfc.ie/black-friday-season-ticket-offers/

Some great craic in Galway football in the last few days as well.

https://twitter.com/GalwayCalcio/status/933817218017779714

Not nice reading that, I hope GU get promotion this year. If you can get any budget together you very well might make it. I don’t think any of the other clubs have money (unlike Limerick and Waterford).

We're bookies' favourites for the FD.

Keegan is putting a strong FD team together, don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Radisson Galway to rebrand as The Galmont

The impressive Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway will be branded The Galmont as the existing Radisson management agreement comes to an end in four week's time. MHL Hotel Collection which acquired the hotel in October will now take over the management of the hotel working with the existing General Manager Andrew Drysdale and his team. The rebrand will take effect from 1 January 2018.

Source:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Radisson Galway to rebrand as The Galmont

The impressive Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway will be branded The Galmont as the existing Radisson management agreement comes to an end in four week's time. MHL Hotel Collection which acquired the hotel in October will now take over the management of the hotel working with the existing General Manager Andrew Drysdale and his team. The rebrand will take effect from 1 January 2018.

Source:

I'm sure all Galway Utd fans will be happy to hear this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm sure all Galway Utd fans will be happy to hear this!!

I worry about Galmonts movement tbh can see opposition going past him like hes a pile of bricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

pjohnson wrote: »
    I worry about Galmonts movement tbh can see opposition going past him like hes a pile of bricks.

I wouldn't worry about him. Play him in goals.
    He'll fill the goal. And the pitch. And all of the main stand too.

Since nobody mentioned it... After many years trying to achieve it and all the obstacles put in our way, Galway United is now 100% fan-owned.

https://twitter.com/GalwayUnitedFC/status/932364195345072133

A long shot maybe.

Anyone know the record crowd for Galway United at EDP/T Park in a competitive and non competitive game and the squads concerned?
    Was there a European game played in some GAA ground at one stage (why?) and what was the gate does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

See here

Reckon still the highest crowd was the circa 7000 v Cork 1994 as mentioned
    http://galwayunitedfc.ie/club-history/

Capacity is listed at 5000 now though can probably fit a few more, 3000 seats

Advertisement