Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options

Comments

I'm going to try and make a few games this season. Been years (15 at least I'd say) since I went to a Galway United match (or followed soccer).
    Anyone want to give me a brief summary of what I would need to know?
    I know they got relegated last season, and have signed up a good few players for next season.
    When is the first home game of the season? How much are tickets on the door? Where is best to get a seat? Who should I pretend is my favorite player? Do the fans still hate Athlone and Sligo? That type of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

bobbyss wrote: »
    A long shot maybe.

Anyone know the record crowd for Galway United at EDP/T Park in a competitive and non competitive game and the squads concerned?
    Was there a European game played in some GAA ground at one stage (why?) and what was the gate does anyone know?

Played Groningen in Carraroe in mid 80s( UEFA Cup) and Odense in Ballinderrin early 90s( the old European Cup Winners Cup).
    It's all in the club's history that youngrun linked above

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

I'm going to try and make a few games this season. Been years (15 at least I'd say) since I went to a Galway United match (or followed soccer).
    Anyone want to give me a brief summary of what I would need to know?
    I know they got relegated last season, and have signed up a good few players for next season.
    When is the first home game of the season? How much are tickets on the door? Where is best to get a seat? Who should I pretend is my favorite player? Do the fans still hate Athlone and Sligo? That type of stuff

End of last season had crowds of 2000+ some great games and good atmosphere
    Likely to be a rarity next year , 700/800 I expect maybe more if cup or league on line
    Its a fine stadium now and a nice crowd, bring a friend and its actually not a bad evening out. Some good play but not always, but they should win a good few next year!

http://galwayunitedfc.ie/ticket-information/
    http://galwayunitedfc.ie/fixtures/

Its the coldest place in Ireland as well be ready!

I guess Ryan Connolly, Marc Ludden , and Stephen Walsh will be the players to get crowd going, McCormack is handy up front as well

youngrun wrote: »
    End of last season had crowds of 2000+ some great games and good atmosphere
    Likely to be a rarity next year , 700/800 I expect maybe more if cup or league on line
    Its a fine stadium now and a nice crowd, bring a friend and its actually not a bad evening out. Some good play but not always, but they should win a good few next year!

http://galwayunitedfc.ie/ticket-information/
    http://galwayunitedfc.ie/fixtures/

Its the coldest place in Ireland as well be ready!

I guess Ryan Connolly, Marc Ludden , and Stephen Walsh will be the players to get crowd going, McCormack is handy up front as well

Thanks, going to try and make the Athlone Town match on the 23rd so.
    Prices seem reasonable as well. I'll give it a season, and see if I go to many games, and if I do, I'll look into getting a season ticket. Already have one for Connacht, just hope the clashes aren't too common

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Prices seem reasonable as well. I'll give it a season, and see if I go to many games, and if I do, I'll look into getting a season ticket. Already have one for Connacht, just hope the clashes aren't too common

The matches last season were (mostly) very entertaining with lots of quality goals and some nice football played, despite the disappointment of relegation.

Division One is a significant step down from the Premier but United's squad for next season looks quite promising and should be good enough to mount a challenge for promotion.

I hope you have a good experience and catch the League of Ireland 'bug'. I've been going to matches since I was a boy. Despite its many issues, live football in Ireland remains pretty compelling once you get into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

We avoid clashes with Connacht at all costs. It just annoys supporters who support both codes, helps nobody and has a huge impact on GUFC gates. Clashes will be very unlikely.

I would look into getting a season ticket all right. It's not expensive and you won't have to queue to get in. Even if a crowd isn't big, people often leave it to the last minute, causing queues just before kick-off.

We're bookies' favourites to win the division but I think it's going to be even enough at the top. Not saying we're not favourites, but it's not as clear-cut as it is being made out.

We are yet to fill a number of important positions. Keeper and centre-half among them.

I'm looking forward to an exciting season though. Keegan knows exactly what it takes to win that league and his reputation is on the line.

Obviously we didn't want to get relegated but I'm dying to see how the team comes together and how all the young lads get on now that they will have a proper chance.

Crowds will be bigger than that I reckon. The expectation is that we will challenge for the league. We got 2,500 in our first game after re-forming, in the First Division and got around 3k for our playoff second leg that season.

There potential is there to get higher crowds on a regular basis imo.

Connolly and Ludden are both the strongest players in their position in the division. Walsh will need to be a lot fitter than he was last year if he wants a starting place. Who Keegan manages to sign at centre-half will dictate whether he gets much of a chance or not.

Opening night of the season tonight, great buzz around :cool:

DWo4nMKWAAAxrt6.jpg

New home and away kits unveiled today as well.

DWu4dm0XUAAQtH6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Opening night of the season tonight, great buzz around :cool:

DWo4nMKWAAAxrt6.jpg

New home and away kits unveiled today as well.

DWu4dm0XUAAQtH6.jpg
    Really liking the away, unsure on the home so far. Looking forward to the game tonight, good start is imperative. Come on UTD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Great night. 4-1. Danny Furlong gets a hat trick on his debut and could've been more. 1200 wasn't a bad crowd either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That Athlone team played hands down some of the worst football I've ever seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

That Athlone team played hands down some of the worst football I've ever seen.
    Very young Athlone team average age must have been U20 ?! Their No 13 and 7 were ok on the ball but they arent any good as a team
    United played ok , easy win, Furlong good, thought Manning played well but no real standouts for me . Good to see a decent crowd.
    Central heating badly needed in EDP:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Didn't get to the game myself but wonder what was the crowd?

Am looking forward to United being around the top of the table for the whole season. What a change that will be. To go to EDP in high expectation rather than forlorn hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Didn't get to the game myself but wonder what was the crowd?

1191 I think - better than I expected

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

1191 I think - better than I expected

Yeah That's good.

It hopefully will be maintained (and improved) once form is kept up. Any idea what attendances were like in other games?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Longford had 575 so half our crowd. UCD would not have a big support base. Haven't heard anything for Cabinteely either. Wonder did they get an attendance for the debacle in United park. Be between ourselves and Harps and Drogheda for the highest attendance in the 1st division, we should be aiming to come out top there as well as points on the table.

A hatrick for Fulong on his debut, don't know many other players ya could say that about! He is going to do some serious damage in this league. We are only going to get better as the league goes on, we barely got out of 3rd gear on Friday. Cobh next away on Saturday.

*Nearly 7 thousand at Tuners cross on Friday is brilliant! Long may it continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Any idea what attendances were like in other games?
    324 for Cabinteely - Wexford.

550 (very specific) for UCD - Shelbourne.

575 for Longford - Cobh Ramblers.

Just under 1,200 at Terryland, I was hoping it would be closer to 1,400 - 1,500, but not a bad crowd I suppose when you consider it wasn't much less than the other three games put together in the division. If we're winning most weeks, we'll have a decent average.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

blanket call off of all LOI matches over the weekend

• Advertisement

Cabinteely next up at Terryland on Friday night - it could be a trickier game than people are giving it credit for I think.

I believe we should be winning the game but I don't think it will be comfortable, they have a few good players. Marty Waters in particular.

A home win and hopefully 1,000 in attendance.

Cabinteely next up at Terryland on Friday night - it could be a trickier game than people are giving it credit for I think.

I believe we should be winning the game but I don't think it will be comfortable, they have a few good players. Marty Waters in particular.

A home win and hopefully 1,000 in attendance.

Agree on all that. Some momentum would be useful, especially at home.

Agree on all that. Some momentum would be useful, especially at home.

Waters would have been FD top scorer last season only for Georgie Kelly's hat-trick on the last night of the season.

We're obviously favourites, but I wouldn't discount them.

They turned over Longford, Shels, UCD and Cobh away from home last year.

They put 6 past Athlone in Stadbrook as well, and Athlone even worse this year.

Waters would have been FD top scorer last season only for Georgie Kelly's hat-trick on the last night of the season.

We're obviously favourites, but I wouldn't discount them.

They turned over Longford, Shels, UCD and Cobh away from home last year.

They put 6 past Athlone in Stadbrook as well, and Athlone even worse this year.

Yep but if we've promotion ambitions then it's a win and nothing else, it can't be a season of excuses and draws again.

Yep but if we've promotion ambitions then it's a win and nothing else, it can't be a season of excuses and draws again.

Never said we didn't absolutely have to win, just people seem to think Cabo are akin to a junior team.

They were not good last night though. A better team would have scored at least another goal against us, which is worrying.

The second goal, by Conor Barry at 55s was top drawer.

Never said we didn't absolutely have to win, just people seem to think Cabo are akin to a junior team.

They were not good last night though. A better team would have scored at least another goal against us, which is worrying.

Agreed, we looked poor at the back again. Could have conceded three.

Still not vintage, but a good win for United. I'm actually excited to see when we do click, what we could do to teams in this division...

It might not be the most exciting game, but I'm actually looking forward to the Cockhill Celtic game on the Bank Holiday Monday, hoping that a few players will stake their claim and stick their hands up. Keegan has showed by dropping Kenny for Barry that if you don't perform, there are guys waiting in the wings (no pun intended).

With two games over the Bank Holiday, it was a good initiative by the club to reduce tickets for the League Cup game. A lot don't do that, hopefully there will be 300-400 at it and the weather stays acceptable.

• Advertisement

http://galwayunitedfc.ie/notice-of-egm-on-march-27th/
    An Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) of the members of Galway United Friends Co-Operative will be held at the Galway Rovers clubhouse on Tuesday, March 27th, at 8:00pm.

This meeting has been called so that co-op members, the owners of Galway United, can make a decision on a key issue that has the potential to shape Galway United’s future.

It has long been recognised that a secure and stable training facility is key to the long term development and future of the club. An opportunity now exists for such a long term development and we wish to bring this opportunity to the members of the co-op for discussion and a decision.

We have been approached by the Ballybane Sports Community Development Partnership Trust to support and become a partner in its current development initiative. This initiative will involve a phased construction of a full size astroturf pitch, an indoor training facility, a number of other outdoor grass pitches and ancillary buildings/facilities. By being a key partner in this development, Galway United will finally have its own training facilities, which are now vital to the continued success of the Galway United Senior team and its associated underage structures.

The EGM will present plans for the development, the role Galway United will play in that development, and the impact on the future of the club to co-op members, and will consider any other implications that this may have on your club.

Renewals of membership can be taken on the night of the EGM, new members must be signed up by March 26th. Sign up to co-op membership HERE.

Advertisement