Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Excellent news, hopefully some solid plans come from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Furlong possibly back. Important game for us even this early in the season.

https://www.facebook.com/GalwayUnitedFC/videos/10155247463242470/

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

No posts in this thread for almost a month, that sums up the level of apathy around our games atm!

Terrible result and performance against Shels last week. Simply must bounce back against Cobh Ramblers tonight with an actual performance, we need a proper reaction.

Our next three games are Cobh at home, Athlone away and Harps away. Realistically after the Shels blip we need 9 points, 7 should be the minimum return, but probably isn't good enough if we're talking about challenging for the title.

I'd settle for a really good performance tonight, so it's not a chore for our supporters to go to games.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Yep. Definitely a must-win game tonight.

Have only been able to make two games so far this season (Cabinteely and Wexford) and, despite wins in both, the team was clearly not playing to its potential. Danny Furlong needs better service, and there needs to be more energy to the performances in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

No posts in this thread for almost a month, that sums up the level of apathy around our games atm!

The tread title is still for last season maybe a mod can change the title to make it more relevant. Should be a comfortable win tonight I hope.

ALAN MURPHY | "I want to move on and score more goals"

Should be a good Galway contingent in Athlone on Friday night.

Bizarre goal for Cabinteely. Should have been a free out.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

0LmNnKK66IKCO5I1aGSYSGMX5lc=.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭Guffy

pjohnson wrote: »
    0LmNnKK66IKCO5I1aGSYSGMX5lc=.gif

Depends how you see it tbh. How are they going to view the club? Are they going to improve our infrastructure and youth system or are they going to bring in a load of meh players with the view of flipping them every 6 months?

I know one of the reasons I initially moved away from GUFC is that they weren't a club but a first team that had wholesale changes every year. The only continuity being the colour of the jersey.

The club is moving in the right direction now setting up their youth structure. Id rather it was developed naturally than getting a massive injection only to see 11 different faces every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

RIP the galway united co op

One of the things I like is the closeness fans have a big injection of private money will change this for the worse imo

RIP the galway united co op

One of the things I like is the closeness fans have a big injection of private money will change this for the worse imo
    The coop while a very noble endeavour is never going to generate funds to make us competitive. Simply not enough support from the people of Galway, the burden always falls back on the same couple of hundred volunteersm. I'm sure the coop will look to remain some way involved but if the money is real and the investors genuine then I see no reason not to accept .

The coop while a very noble endeavour is never going to generate funds to make us competitive. Simply not enough support from the people of Galway, the burden always falls back on the same couple of hundred volunteersm. I'm sure the coop will look to remain some way involved but if the money is real and the investors genuine then I see no reason not to accept .

depends how much control they want. They will likely want to make galway their club and they'll treat it like any other investment I rather we continue building slowly by getting the youth system right, quick money opposed to long term planning won't give the club a future

depends how much control they want. They will likely want to make galway their club and they'll treat it like any other investment I rather we continue building slowly by getting the youth system right, quick money opposed to long term planning won't give the club a future
    But there's a clear limit to how far we'll go as a coop owned team it seems, without the Comers money we'd be in a similar boat to Athlone, Wexford and Cobh etc. We'll know more on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Well that was utter **** tonight. Worst performance I've seen at EDP all season.
    Players looked flat, manager looked flat and clueless. At one stage Murphy was actually telling Keegan what to do. 1 point from the last 4 games now...... not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭spurshero

Manager gotta go . End of

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

But there's a clear limit to how far we'll go as a coop owned team it seems, without the Comers money we'd be in a similar boat to Athlone, Wexford and Cobh etc. We'll know more on Monday.

I thought somebody was joking with me when I heard this today. Imagine my surprise...

There's obviously a ceiling to what the club can amount too as things currently stand, but isn't becoming the plaything of Saudi investors just a bit grim and essentially soulless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Guffy wrote:
    The club is moving in the right direction now setting up their youth structure. Id rather it was developed naturally than getting a massive injection only to see 11 different faces every year.

A youth structure only now being set up? How long does that take to happen?

bobbyss wrote: »
    A youth structure only now being set up? How long does that take to happen?

Galway United have the same youth structures other LOI clubs have. When the club was reformed, GUFC were initially prevented from even having underage teams as a deal was done to sow that up for Mervue and Salthill, but they gradually dropped out of those leagues.

The club now has senior, under-19, under-17 and under-15 teams, as well as a junior academy for younger kids and some development squads for players that were outside of making the cut for the 20 spots on each squad and also preparing prospective players for the upcoming under-13 league next year.

This is a proposed long term investment in Galway United and initial commitments outlined include:

1. Investment in the first team to target promotion to the Premier Division.
    2. Investment in the development of the club’s underage infrastructure and youth academy.
    3. Investment in a Galway United training facility.
    4. Recruitment of key personnel to ensure the right structures are in place both on and off the pitch to support the long-term development of the club. These individuals will be at board level, general management and a director of football.
    5. To play a bigger role in the community.

If these are genuine commitments, its pretty exciting times for United.

Golden opportunity that has to be grabbed with both hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Who exactly is making the offer?

Guffy wrote: »
    This is a proposed long term investment in Galway United and initial commitments outlined include:

1. Investment in the first team to target promotion to the Premier Division.
    2. Investment in the development of the club’s underage infrastructure and youth academy.
    3. Investment in a Galway United training facility.
    4. Recruitment of key personnel to ensure the right structures are in place both on and off the pitch to support the long-term development of the club. These individuals will be at board level, general management and a director of football.
    5. To play a bigger role in the community.

If these are genuine commitments, its pretty exciting times for United.

1. needed we all know that but how much exactly is on offer
    2. like point 1, as we know the youth structure is only being currently developed so where exactly will this investment go and how much is on offer
    3. where will this go?
    4. again how much do they want to spend on these
    5. that's very vague

and a big question is where exactly is the money coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

bobbyss wrote: »
    Who exactly is making the offer?

Very pertinent question, are they connected to the ruling classes in Saudi? the public need to know these details.

Saudi Arabia are currently involved in a horrific war in Yemen where the civilian casualties and humanitarian crisis are even worse than Syria, the UN has just highlighted this crisis today https://news.un.org/en/focus/yemen

We need to know that the proposers of this deal have clean hands.

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Very pertinent question, are they connected to the ruling classes in Saudi? the public need to know these details.

Saudi Arabia are currently involved in a horrific war in Yemen where the civilian casualties and humanitarian crisis are even worse than Syria, the UN has just highlighted this crisis today https://news.un.org/en/focus/yemen

We need to know that the proposers of this deal have clean hands.

Have you bothered to look into them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Guffy wrote: »
    Have you bothered to look into them?

There appears to be no public knowledge of the proposers that I can find at this moment, most likely for commercial reasons, but I trust that those who make the ultimate decision to go ahead or not will have the good sense to perform due diligence on the buyers before proceeding.
    The last thing GU need is the fallout from a controversy if there was a link to the regime in Saudi which has numerous human rights issues and involvement in a repulsive war in Yemen.

Advertisement