Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Guffy wrote: »
    Have you bothered to look into them?

There appears to be no public knowledge of the proposers that I can find at this moment, most likely for commercial reasons, but I trust that those who make the ultimate decision to go ahead or not will have the good sense to perform due diligence on the buyers before proceeding.
    The last thing GU need is the fallout from a controversy if there was a link to the regime in Saudi which has numerous human rights issues and involvement in a repulsive war in Yemen.
    What have the public got to do with it? They're not stakeholders in the club, currently our average attendance is 850 odd, so if you mean those people then fair enough, the Galway public at large have ignored the club throughout the years so they've no say in anything. The coop members will rightly make the decision. If you want specifics then join the coop. Anyone with a genuine interest in the club already knows the investors identity as per last weekend's media reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

What have the public got to do with it? They're not stakeholders in the club, currently our average attendance is 850 odd, so if you mean those people then fair enough, the Galway public at large have ignored the club throughout the years so they've no say in anything. The coop members will rightly make the decision. If you want specifics then join the coop. Anyone with a genuine interest in the club already knows the investors identity as per last weekend's media reports.

The "public" will take an interest in this as you know well,and the public will also contribute to the success or not of this deal if it is partly dependent on attendance revenue.
    Make sure the COOP do their homework, GU do not need controversy emerging at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

The vote does not ensure the sale of a stake, it allows the co-op to go ahead with it after due-diligence is performed by both sides. It wouldn't have gotten this far if the co-op didn't think it was in the interest of the co-op or the club and fans in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The "public" will take an interest in this as you know well,and the public will also contribute to the success or not of this deal if it is partly dependent on attendance revenue.
    Make sure the COOP do their homework, GU do not need controversy emerging at a later stage.
    Yeah I'd imagine there will be thousands lining the streets, Colm O'Gorman demanding the club winds down etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭Guffy

There appears to be no public knowledge of the proposers that I can find at this moment

They were named in a national newspaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

pjohnson wrote:
    Yeah I'd imagine there will be thousands lining the streets, Colm O'Gorman demanding the club winds down etc.

No, I don't imagine thousands lining the street or Colm O'Gorman demanding a wind down. I have no idea who these investors are or what their background is. I don't even know how all that is going to be ascertained -Saudi Arabia being a very closed society. I understand it's a country you can't even hop on a plane and visit as a tourist or even practice your religion openly once there.

But if they are Saudis (and Saudi Arabia has a record of human rights abuses) do you think it appropriate that there should be a thorough investigation into the background of each and every one of them?

bobbyss wrote: »
    But if they are Saudis (and Saudi Arabia has a record of human rights abuses) do you think it appropriate that there should be a thorough investigation into the background of each and every one of them?

There's a name for making sweeping statements about people from a certain country, just because they are from there.

There's a name for making sweeping statements about people from a certain country, just because they are from there.

Do you think there should be a thorough investigation of the background of these new investors?

How is that going to be done exactly given that Saudi is a closed society ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Don't let Michael D. hear of this - he might be bothered about the Saudi connection. They may not be his sort of people

Yep. Theres also a name for people who refuse a good thing for daft reasons.

• Advertisement

Do you think there should be a thorough investigation of the background of these new investors?

How is that going to be done exactly given that Saudi is a closed society ?

Again they were named in a national newspaper. Do a bit of research before you go slinging mud if you are so bothered about it.

Guffy wrote:
    Again they were named in a national newspaper. Do a bit of research before you go slinging mud if you are so bothered about it.

I think they are reasonable and appropriate issues to raise and have opinions on.

I think they are reasonable and appropriate issues to raise and have opinions on.

I agree, I just think they are lazy opinions when the info is there but you ask the questions without actually looking for the answers.

Its mudslinging, plain and simple.

Guffy wrote:
    I agree, I just think they are lazy opinions when the info is there but you ask the questions without actually looking for the answers.

I think you may either have misunderstood what I am asking or perhaps I have not been clear?
    I am wondering if the new investors as going to be thoroughly investigated to ensure they are financially viable and that there are not any issues that might hinder investment. I asked how this would be possible bearing in mind Saudi Arabia is a pretty secret society. I don't know the answers to these questions and that is why I am asking them.

You seem to think that's mud slinging or lazy (asking questions is lazy?) but they are straightforward questions.

How do you yourself feel about the chances of finding out about the financial viability of the investors? Are background checks made for example? How or who is going to conduct all of that bearing in mind how impenetrable Saudi society is?

Guffy wrote:

I think you may either have misunderstood what I am asking or perhaps I have not been clear?
    I am wondering if the new investors as going to be thoroughly investigated to ensure they are financially viable and that there are not any issues that might hinder investment. I asked how this would be possible bearing in mind Saudi Arabia is a pretty secret society. I don't know the answers to these questions and that is why I am asking them.

You seem to think that's mud slinging or lazy (asking questions is lazy?) but they are straightforward questions.

How do you yourself feel about the chances of finding out about the financial viability of the investors? Are background checks made for example? How or who is going to conduct all of that bearing in mind how impenetrable Saudi society is?
    Im going to post in your style. Do you think the people running the club are just going to hand it over? Do you think they won't do the appropriate checks? Why not look up the information about the investors available online since last weekend? Do you think Saudis who invest overseas just come in and take over businesses in the dark of night, not negotiating? Maybe read up on Saudi Arabia and it's business culture/international investors and quit the blanket statements/questions.

Im going to post in your style. Do you think the people running the club are just going to hand it over? Do you think they won't do the appropriate checks? Why not look up the information about the investors available online since last weekend? Do you think Saudis who invest overseas just come in and take over businesses in the dark of night, not negotiating? Maybe read up on Saudi Arabia and it's business culture/international investors and quit the blanket statements/questions.

You seem upset at straightforward, very appropriate and legitimate questions being asked.

I don't know how takeovers are done . I don't know what's in the mind of the club or investors.

But please there is no need to have such an aggressive tone.

So in turn, but with respect, can you quit that? Thanks

You seem upset at straightforward, very appropriate and legitimate questions being asked.

I don't know how takeovers are done . I don't know what's in the mind of the club or investors.

But please there is no need to have such an aggressive tone.

So in turn, but with respect, can you quit that? Thanks
    Aggression? Because I asked a few questions of you. Guffy already responded to you once, you've gone on asking the same things again. He suggested you look up the freely available info that youve said you don't know, I've suggested you read up on it too. If that's aggressive then we have different meanings for the word. There's a Galway United forum you can join where you'll find all the answers to your many questions, you won't like the posting there if you're getting offended here though.

Now back on topic, big game tomorrow night. Must win before the break. A single goal win for me.

Preview for tomorrow night. Quite a few injuries...

http://galwayunitedfc.ie/match-preview-wexford-fc-2/

Well I for one will not be travelling to Wexford to watch united. There is the small matter of the World Cup to attend to.

Are all the hopes of being pre season favourites gone I wonder?

I thought we were one of the favourites to win the league?

If that's the case, should Keegan be sacked before it's too late?

How many supporters typically are at away games?

Wexford is a long way away so I would take off my hat to those who would travel that length. On current form personally I would find the journey back insufferable if we lost,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Hopefully if the Saudis do take over that they don't bring over their footballers with them!

• Advertisement

So he's gone.

Just looking at a list of former managers going back to Amby.

Lally was there a few times. A Gough. Can't remember him. Mannion. Dunne. (Now I do remember him). The list is disappointingly long. About thirty.

On the bright side the change may be just the spark needed as he said himself he had tried everything. I feel sorry for him as I got the feeling he was thorough in his preparartion and always professional. He had said that it was not a case of him losing the dressing room.

Who is the Assistant manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Any word from the meeting tonight?

Any word from the meeting tonight?
    Voted through by 75% majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

deisedude wrote: »
    Hopefully if the Saudis do take over that they don't bring over their footballers with them!
    A few Saudi internationals would make a serious impact in our league

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Paddico wrote: »
    A few Saudi internationals would make a serious impact in our league

They probably would to be fair. Was just having a laugh. Mr Dunphy might buy a season ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Will we get some Arabic script on the jerseys? I wouldn't mind having one of those with me working as a coach in Abu Dhabi!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Seeing dundalk handing out 2.5 & 3.5 year deals. If these lads can give us enough funds to be able to give out longer contracts like this we'll start moving forward well.

• Advertisement

Alan Murphy appointed Galway United manager.

http://galwayunitedfc.ie/alan-murphy-appointed-manager/

Time to focus on putting the show back on the road and do some clearing out as well perhaps.

Advertisement