Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

Both great servants of Galway United, but a little underwhelming tbh!

I am assuming it is only to see out the season before our new overlords fund the club enough to get someone decent in? There were plenty of rumours of Jim McGuinness getting the job, wonder did he turn it down or was it just rumour?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

ratracer wrote: »

I am assuming it is only to see out the season before our new overlords fund the club enough to get someone decent in? There were plenty of rumours of Jim McGuinness getting the job, wonder did he turn it down or was it just rumour?
    It was The Sun,enough said. Good appointment til the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

ratracer wrote: »
    I think it's a good appointment. I see a few people are saying that they're underwhelmed, mostly because of the Saudi/McGuinness links I think, which is fair enough.

To me this is a lot more logical and realistic. Murphy and Herrick were both very good players, they know the league, they know Galway and they're both tough task masters. Our players have had it way too easy for way too long and they've really underachieved this season. I didn't expect us to storm the league this year, but what we have seen has been totally unacceptable and we've fallen way short of expectation. We're 6th in the league for christ sake.

Murphy and Herrick will demand hard work and they won't be afraid to upset anyone. I think they will secure us a play-off spot, although the work that we do in the transfer window will be key to that and we face a bit of an uphill battle after what's gone on before.

We need to dispense of a few bad eggs in the window and freshen things up, badly...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Alan Murphy appointed Galway United manager.

http://galwayunitedfc.ie/alan-murphy-appointed-manager/

Time to focus on putting the show back on the road and do some clearing out as well perhaps.

Could Robbie Williams be one of those? He's involved with a local junior team here as part of the management team, unless he's travelling up and down to Galway with Shane Ryan who also works with this local junior team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Am wondering about Murphy's managerial record. Am a bit confused about his appointment. As it's crucial we get to the playoffs I would have thought a well experienced manager would be appointed. Thought there was going to be an immediate Saudi investment. I am probably wrong but an experienced manager would be a priority. Wouldn't it?

bobbyss wrote: »
    Thought there was going to be an immediate Saudi investment.

Immediately following the sale, if/when that happens.

The sale is by no means certain. It would be irresponsible to spend money we don't have in the meantime, not to mention the FAI won't sanction contracts without money to back it up.

Also, Murphy is a good appointment in the circumstances in my opinion. He isn't there to limp the club towards the end of the season. He will be targeting the playoffs and promotion, even if he doesn't say the latter.

He hasn't taken the job for the craic.

Also, Murphy is a good appointment in the circumstances in my opinion. He isn't there to limp the club towards the end of the season. He will be targeting the playoffs and promotion, even if he doesn't say the latter.

How good he will be, time will tell. Hopefully it will be a successful appointment. I wish the best of luck to him. God knows something positive needs to happen this season.

As it is a critical time in the club's history you would have expected serious consideration to be given to Keegan's successor. Do you know if many candidates applied and how many were interviewed?

bobbyss wrote: »
    As it is a critical time in the club's history you would have expected serious consideration to be given to Keegan's successor.
    Of course it was given serious consideration and I'm glad Murphy got it as he was my own preference. We don't have the money to appoint the names that were being dropped in the press.

Someone with very good knowledge of the league and emerging talent in the region was needed, as well as someone who would make the necessary personnel changes.

Of course it was given serious consideration and I'm glad Murphy got it as he was my own preference. We don't have the money to appoint the names that were being dropped in the press.

Yeah my post's reading was meant to suggest that his appointment WAS the result of serious consideration.

So we can only hope that United can get the hell out of this league and back where a city of our size deserves. It just feels like we should not be there in the first place and frustrating that we are not leading the pack.

• Advertisement

Apologies.

Yes, the last year and a half have been an unmitigated disaster. Put a great squad together, got relegated. Put another very good squad squad together, in the bottom half the the table with 9 games left. Shockingly bad.

Shane Keegan was well liked, but we can't get away from that. It was a complete and utter disaster.

I have confidence that Alan Murphy can turn things around. Big changes need to happen and he's the right man for it in the circumstances I feel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

The sale is by no means certain. It would be irresponsible to spend money we don't have in the meantime, not to mention the FAI won't sanction contracts without money to back it up.

They are two very experienced lads hopefully it will work out.

Finding it hard to get too excited on the whole thing the last few games have been some of the worst ever shows in Terryland , 2 hours of awfulness
    Maybe 30 years of going to games wears you down but there is No buzz at all left

What is the story re the proposed investment, Nothing since the meeting has been seen or heard, surely the Board / Co-op should give some indication whats going on,

Is there any hope :confused:

youngrun wrote: »

They are two very experienced lads hopefully it will work out.

Finding it hard to get too excited on the whole thing the last few games have been some of the worst ever shows in Terryland , 2 hours of awfulness
    Maybe 30 years of going to games wears you down but there is No buzz at all left

What is the story re the proposed investment, Nothing since the meeting has been seen or heard, surely the Board / Co-op should give some indication whats going on,

Is there any hope :confused:
    What don't people get about due diligence, it's a process, there's no obligation to keep people updated. When it's done we'll know everything we need to know. Patience.

What don't people get about due diligence, it's a process, there's no obligation to keep people updated. When it's done we'll know everything we need to know. Patience.

There was a vote held and nothing has been said since to coop members or general public.
    So is there DD going on at present ? Have the board/co-op met investors ? . Why keep members and supporters totally in the dark

A simple press statement or email wouldnt hurt ?

People lose interest, Crowds are falling. Team is a shambles. Give us some info or hope for the future
    Plenty on here have supported GUFC since day one or the 80s, and or backed the team in other ways, they need to be kept in the loop

There was a vote held and nothing has been said since to coop members or general public.
    So is there DD going on at present ? Have the board/co-op met investors ? . Why keep members and supporters totally in the dark

People lose interest, Crowds are falling. Team is a shambles. Give us some info or hope for the future
    Plenty on here have supported GUFC since day one or the 80s, and or backed the team in other ways, they need to be kept in the loop
    Plenty like me and you have alright, and I'm happy to wait to hear what happens, again patience is key.

Plenty like me and you have alright, and I'm happy to wait to hear what happens, again patience is key.

The last few games have really tested my patience !

hopefully something soon ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

It's only 500000 itll be gone within 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I appreciate that it may only be until the end of the season, but count me in the 'underwhelmed' category in relation to Murphy's appointment.

After getting rid of Keegan, the club has appointed someone who is also popular as a person but totally unproven as a manager. Seems a very 'like for like' move to me, and not in a good way.

I can understand why some of our supporters would be a bit underwhelmed.

However I wouldn't consider Murphy and Keegan like for like in many ways. I don't think Murphy is going to change us from having a squad who are basically not arsed and have their confidence hanging on the floor to promotion contenders overnight.

The proof will be in the pudding over the next few weeks. I don't think he'll suffer any fools, like the previous management did. I expect to see changes (on the pitch) with immediate effect, with players being dropped and younger options getting the nod.

Further to that, I expect players to be released and new players to be brought in to freshen things up and give us a bit of impetus.

Murphy and Herrick have been truly fantastic servants to Galway United and hopefully our supporters will make an effort to come out and get behind them, even with the WC on.

The vote was held to give the co-op a mandate to continue with negotiations with a view to a sale, pending due diligence. That takes time.
    Sorry if it sounds like I'm having a go, but imo it's not reasonable to expect them to provide updates on delicate negotiations and the due diligence process, while it is being carried out. If there is anything to tell, it will be that it will proceed or that it won't.
    So is there DD going on at present?
    Same place it was going before, towards running the club.
    Have the board/co-op met investors?
    This was explained at the EGM and was (somewhat accurately) reported in the media also.
    Why keep members and supporters totally in the dark
    I don't think that's a fair assessment of what's going on. It is quiet now and will be I would guess, no matter what way it goes.
    Again, nothing to tell and the members were briefed. I think it would be incredibly unwise to divulge details of what is going on mid-negotiations. They're not doing a solo run, they were given a mandate by the members.
    That and the negotiations are separate issues. Alan Murphy has been appointed manager, and whether you agree or not, I am of the opinion that it's a very positive appointment and I hope to see an immediate improvement in attitude. He won't be afraid to get rid of anyone that won't pull their weight.
    People have been kept in the loop as much as can be reasonably expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We'll trudge through this year and then after most player contracts expire and we let the deadwood out we'll be in a position to try for promotion next year with money to give deals to better players. This year is a train wreck so hopefully things can get better!

pjohnson wrote: »
    We'll trudge through this year and then after most player contracts expire and we let the deadwood out we'll be in a position to try for promotion next year with money to give deals to better players. This year is a train wreck so hopefully things can get better!

I wouldn't write this season off yet. Not saying we're going to get promoted, but I wouldn't write us off for a playoff spot at all. It's only 6 points after all and the likelihood is that we will gain some ground on someone this weekend.

If the attitude of the players can be addressed and I am hopeful it will, I think we could give it a real go for what's left of the season.

They didn't turn into terrible players overnight, they just need an attitude adjustment and to be motivated properly.

The vote was held to give the co-op a mandate to continue with negotiations with a view to a sale, pending due diligence. That takes time.
    Sorry if it sounds like I'm having a go, but imo it's not reasonable to expect them to provide updates on delicate negotiations and the due diligence process, while it is being carried out. If there is anything to tell, it will be that it will proceed or that it won't.

This was explained at the EGM and was (somewhat accurately) reported in the media also.

I don't think that's a fair assessment of what's going on. It is quiet now and will be I would guess, no matter what way it goes.

Again, nothing to tell and the members were briefed. I think it would be incredibly unwise to divulge details of what is going on mid-negotiations. They're not doing a solo run, they were given a mandate by the members.

That and the negotiations are separate issues. Alan Murphy has been appointed manager, and whether you agree or not, I am of the opinion that it's a very positive appointment and I hope to see an immediate improvement in attitude. He won't be afraid to get rid of anyone that won't pull their weight.

All very valid but I still think fans and co-op members should be kept in the loop at some basic level eg whether talks are ongoing or expected timeframe if they are- Why not?

All very valid but I still think fans and co-op members should be kept in the loop at some basic level eg whether talks are ongoing or expected timeframe if they are- Why not?
    Do you think if talks weren't ongoing we would have heard????!

Do you think if talks weren't ongoing we would have heard????!

Who knows?

We have heard nothing

Have you ?

Why keep us completely in the dark? Surely some news or some indication is better to keep interest going in the club ?

I wouldn't write this season off yet. Not saying we're going to get promoted, but I wouldn't write us off for a playoff spot at all. It's only 6 points after all and the likelihood is that we will gain some ground on someone this weekend.

If the attitude of the players can be addressed and I am hopeful it will, I think we could give it a real go for what's left of the season.

They didn't turn into terrible players overnight, they just need an attitude adjustment and to be motivated properly.

Need a win later. A decent performance would be a bonus . Very hard to watch last few games

A good result. What was performance like? Will goal difference matter at the end?

http://galwayunitedfc.ie/stephen-kenny-departs/

The start of the clear out has begun, good to see. Hopefully a few more will follow Kenny out the door this week and Murphy can get a few new faces in.

• Advertisement

Advertisement