Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Great win.

The chip for the third goal was the highlight of the night. Thought Bray were fairly useless, even though they had their chances

A good big crowd too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

How do folk think the atmosphere in EDP could be improved?? I was very disappointed with this last night. There was a huge crowd but very little noise. A couple of things that need to be sorted quickly are 1) the score board and 2) more importantly, the PA system - it cannot be heard at all in the Comer Stand!!!!

I also think a proper music playlist (if above PA system was fixed) would be better at creating an atmosphere than the brass band.

Great work on the field, let's get the stand rocking ..... #itsatribalthing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

ratracer wrote: »
    How do folk think the atmosphere in EDP could be improved?? I was very disappointed with this last night. There was a huge crowd but very little noise. A couple of things that need to be sorted quickly are 1) the score board and 2) more importantly, the PA system - it cannot be heard at all in the Comer Stand!!!!

I also think a proper music playlist (if above PA system was fixed) would be better at creating an atmosphere than the brass band.

Great work on the field, let's get the stand rocking ..... #itsatribalthing

The singing section make the noise, youre never going to change that. People who come up every few games arent there to be chanting/singing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I wonder why they moved the season ticket entrance, poor lad in half dark trying to read the numbers on the tickets and on a sheet. The old one didn't seem to be used for anything when I passed

Seven Worlds will Collide

The singing section make the noise, youre never going to change that. People who come up every few games arent there to be chanting/singing etc.

I thought even the local 'musicians' were quieter than usual last night!! Maybe it's just because it was the first home game of the season, maybe just imagining it. Anyway, c'mon the Maroon Army!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

How large was the attendance on Friday?
    Anybody know a website that gives the attendance at matches?
    I follow scores on a site called livescore which is up to the minute but I do recall looking at some website in the past that gave all attendances shortly after the games finished but I can't recall what is was.

Also anyone know a similar site where it gives the leading goalscorers? Do newspapers list them? Daily Mail? I Times? Indo?
    I have always found it difficult to get this information yet I quite like looking at lists of leading scorers. It adds interest to the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Ah yes thanks.

I remember that site.

However I do remember it not always giving the attendance every week and I always wondered why.
    The Bohs V Sligo attendance I don't think is given and perhaps others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

bobbyss wrote: »
    However I do remember it not always giving the attendance every week and I always wondered why.

Attendances are not always available and the reliability of estimates vary wildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Game really sprung to life in the second half!
    Very entertaining stuff.
    Well done Galway United!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Bray were very poor and once the second goal went in, I sensed a bit of a thrashing.
    We looked good going forward and Shanahan had a really good game.
    As for attendance...I think the announcer said around 1620, but the tannoy in Terryland is brutal, so he could just as well been announcing the bingo numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Faltered a bit in the last week, should have won in Sligo...drew and should have drawn in Derry...lost in the 92nd minute.

Great to have two games at Terryland on Monday and Saturday now. Looking forward to seeing some of the younger/fringe players against Mayo tomorrow, a good performance should put them in the frame for Bohs on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

3-1 win against Mayo, Padraic Cunningham with a hat trick in the first 16 minutes. I wasn't there but am really looking forward to the Bohs game on Saturday. Pity about the 2pm kick-off though.

At the rate Galway are continuing to find the net, this season won't be dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

3-1 win against Mayo, Padraic Cunningham with a hat trick in the first 16 minutes. I wasn't there but am really looking forward to the Bohs game on Saturday. Pity about the 2pm kick-off though.

At the rate Galway are continuing to find the net, this season won't be dull.

Yeah - what the hell is with the 2pm kick off on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Is it definitely 2pm? Lads on our forum (Bohs) were saying 3pm, as does our official site. I know Leinster are playing Connaught that evening too, maybe that's the reason.

I love coming over to Galway, easily in my top 3 away days. doing an overnighter and dressing it up as a night away to the missus :)

It's definitely 2pm. Was listed as such in the Galway City Tribune last Friday, which said the club had been asked to bring forward the kick-off time to avoid a clash with the rugby. It's also down for 2pm on the fixture list sent out by the FAI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

It should really be on Good Friday. No competition, no clash, people off, pubs closed. Why Sat pm ?

youngrun wrote: »
    It should really be on Good Friday. No competition, no clash, people off, pubs closed. Why Sat pm ?

No league fixtures on Friday because they would clash with the Ireland-Switzerland friendly international.

Predictions for tomorrow? I would have a go at Bohs, they've made a rocky start to the season and we need to steady the ship after losing and drawing against Derry and Sligo.

I'd partner Podge with Vinny up-front and see how they get on. I think the three points are definitely there for the taking. Bohs are a decent side, but these are the types of games we need to be winning if we're going to progress.

• Advertisement

Predictions for tomorrow? I would have a go at Bohs, they've made a rocky start to the season and we need to steady the ship after losing and drawing against Derry and Sligo.

I'd partner Podge with Vinny up-front and see how they get on. I think the three points are definitely there for the taking. Bohs are a decent side, but these are the types of games we need to be winning if we're going to progress.

A draw.
    Few injuries apparently folan and others per tribune
    Hopefully it draws a crowd but not sure it will all I hear is rugby on radio. GUFC need to up their marketing game. terryland is super stadium and way more action than rugby. Finish out the ground with a new stand at the old clubhouse end .

A draw.
    Few injuries apparently folan and others per tribune
    Hopefully it draws a crowd but not sure it will all I hear is rugby on radio. GUFC need to up their marketing game. terryland is super stadium and way more action than rugby. Finish out the ground with a new stand at the old clubhouse end .

The problem with the stadium is that GUFC don't own it, the Galway FA do. They are almost bankrupt, can't even afford/want to fix the existing scoreboard or the PA system. I don't know how much partnership/ shared funding exist between both entities regarding the upkeep of EDP, but it is a great venue and I would hope it's kept in the great condition it's in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

They could do with doing something about selling club merchandise too. No online shop, no sports outlets selling it. Just a bit of a hut in the corner of the ground that when it comes to sizes and stuff is poorly stocked.

How hard can it be to sort that side of things out in fairness? You'd be thinking they'd be trying to bring in as much dosh as possible, keep things ticking over.

PA definitely needs fixing ! from blowing the ears off ya to breaking up hard to know what to expect! . Agree that simple things like club shop could be way better plugged/order online etc.
    Makings of a good side this year but still I think mid table best bet. Ludden back , Cunningham back so some depth in the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

They could do with doing something about selling club merchandise too. No online shop, no sports outlets selling it. Just a bit of a hut in the corner of the ground that when it comes to sizes and stuff is poorly stocked.

How hard can it be to sort that side of things out in fairness? You'd be thinking they'd be trying to bring in as much dosh as possible, keep things ticking over.

If you think its that easy why dont you offer to help out im sure theyd love the extra help.

Does the club have a marketing officer ??

Does the club have a marketing officer ??
    No, there is a marketing committee made up of a few volunteers.
    No online shop, no sports outlets selling it. Just a bit of a hut in the corner of the ground that when it comes to sizes and stuff is poorly stocked.
    Totally agree on the online shop, that is definitely something the club needs to progress with. On the partnership with shops in town, I believe they're in negotiations with Elverys/Life Style.

In the clubs defence, last season I'd totally agree with your assertions that the club shop was poorly stocked. This year they have a big range of items and lots of stock in my experience. But they need an online presence and somewhere in town.

PA system is fixed 😜📢📢

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Just heard United won again....great result. Anyone at it know how they played? Great start to the season

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Just heard United won again....great result. Anyone at it know how they played? Great start to the season

Conditions weren't the best. Apart from one or two dodgy moments we were solid enough at the back. Not to sure who got it but I would have given Walsh MoTM, thought he was brilliant at left back.

Attacking wise, 3/4 good chances, Vinny probably should have stuck one in the far corner shortly before he scored from a lovely Cunningham cross, we had one cleared off the line in or around that time as well.

All in all, it was a good solid victory.

Advertisement