Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Great build up play leading up to the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

It was by far the best bit of football played during an otherwise poor game. Still, I'm looking forward to the Cork match on Friday. If this to be a really good season, Galway need to take points off the 'top' sides, especially at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Hopefully a big crowd too, 2000 would be nice to see

• Advertisement

There's a nice piece about United in the sports section of today's Star, by the way. Headline: 'The West Is Awake'. It includes comments from Tommy Dunne and Jonathan Corbett.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

youngrun wrote: »
    Hopefully a big crowd too, 2000 would be nice to see

Hopefully so. City should bring around 200 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Paddico wrote: »
    Hopefully so. City should bring around 200 or so
    That's great numbers tbf. I'd be very hopeful of seeing over 2,000 fans at the game. How far over, I'm not sure.

Big game, bigger away following, bigger team, closer in the table. It's lined up nicely. There were 1,500 against Harps and I'd expect a lot more for this.

I'd take another 1-0 gritty win. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

are attendence figures published anywhere after the match?

are attendence figures published anywhere after the match?
    Usually announced on the clubs twitter or put on match reports on the clubs site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

Very entertaining game tonight, a fair enough result overall. Poor referee.
    First time this season that there was a great atmosphere in EDP, hopefully this will continue to improve!

Excellent atmosphere.

A draw was probably fair, but I was quite disappointed at the final whistle. That's not to criticise or anything really, it's just a measure of how far we've come in terms of our expectations of the players and confidence in their ability.

This season, I actually look forward to the best teams in the league coming to Eamonn Deacy Park, to see what the lads can do.

What a terrific game. I brought along a friend, who hadn't been to Terryland in years, and he really enjoyed it. Between the atmosphere and end-to-end nature of the game, it was certainly worth every penny of the 15 euro admission. Disappointed not to have nicked a winner, but the players gave everything they had and played some really nice stuff at times. Can't ask for any more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scone190

Great game last night, really entertaining end to end either team could of won. Great to see Galway United competitive against the best , Cork have been challenging for the title for the last few years. The atmosphere was brilliant too. Great to see things going right for United and I don't understand why there is not more people making the trip up the dyke road to see QUALITY football

CgHdhgnW4AA9JPn.png:large

League Cup quarter final up for grabs tomorrow at Terryland Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Won't make the game tonight unfortunately. Hope some of the young lads get a chance - but be nice to grab a win against Harps again too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scone190

Another win for United on the road, Wexford Youths 0-2 Galway United Vinny Faherty with a brace. Back up to 3rd in the league and Longford at home next so lets hope for another 3 points.

Another home game tomorrow night (Friday) and hopefully a 6th home win out of 7.

m5fbBNq.png

Also the shop has been well received.

Which League Of Ireland Clubs Have The Best Online Shop For Their Fans?

Have stuttered a bit in recent weeks and injuries to Podge, Connolly and Stevie Folan are not gonna help.

Big game against Pats at Terryland tomorrow. Thankfully Devaney is back at least.

Need to start the second sequence of matches with a positive result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Missed the game last night - terrible result.
    Sounds like the ref had a large part to play in it. Definitely have hit a bit of a slump now though. Disappointing after the fine start to the season.

I also couldn't make the game last night but throwing away a two goal lead against Longford a couple of weeks ago seems to have been a bit of a turning point, and not in a good way.

With a tough FAI Cup game away to Bohs this month, which Ryan Connolly seems likely to miss, the season suddenly looks a lot less promising.

Mid season slump for sure.. Very little buzz about things even in the ground. Club and board really needs to push a bit more on the marketing side, invite schools for example free tickets, maybe add in a corporate area in old dressing rooms , bit of music or something, also target more familes and women, who are few and far between compared to Sportsground, why is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Mid season slump for sure.. Very little buzz about things even in the ground. Club and board really needs to push a bit more on the marketing side, invite schools for example free tickets, maybe add in a corporate area in old dressing rooms , bit of music or something, also target more familes and women, who are few and far between compared to Sportsground, why is this?

Because soccer and rugby are very different in terms of the affluence of the people following it. I'd class rugby as a middle/upper class game, soccer is a working class game. Hence the rugger hugger ladies who go to Connacht games ain't gonna be at Terryland anytime soon.

How did connacht go from 200 fans back early 90s to 8000 now. rugby has put big money into the sport , FAI and soccer needs to do the same to promote it .
    Have been going to terryland since 1989 and its the same faces and crowd type as it was then , old soccer lads,teenage lads , 90% + male, few dads and kids , ok a bit more now than then but not much more.
    The stadium is great, team pretty good and the offering is not bad for 15 in.
    Club/FAI/board/GUST/Co op/whoever needs to promote it way more, do deals, get groups in, school lads with clappers ,bring the wife or girlfriend for free deal, etc, fill the place up or at least aim for 2k, attract new supporters, as the old ones and current ones wont be around forever , will die off ,or will just get worn out from watching it and falling asleep. At least try it !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

How did connacht go from 200 fans back early 90s to 8000 now. rugby has put big money into the sport , FAI and soccer needs to do the same to promote it .
    Have been going to terryland since 1989 and its the same faces and crowd type as it was then , old soccer lads,teenage lads , 90% + male, few dads and kids , ok a bit more now than then but not much more.
    The stadium is great, team pretty good and the offering is not bad for 15 in.
    Club/FAI/board/GUST/Co op/whoever needs to promote it way more, do deals, get groups in, school lads with clappers ,bring the wife or girlfriend for free deal, etc, fill the place up or at least aim for 2k, attract new supporters, as the old ones and current ones wont be around forever , will die off ,or will just get worn out from watching it and falling asleep. At least try it !

Huge difference in the funding in place for Connacht and what we have access to. Incomparable really, they do a great job marketing but then they have people paid to work on that kind of thing, we don't. Rugby grew during the boom/through professionalism and has kept going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

I can understand why they did it, but I think it was a terrible mistake charging €5 for kids this season. Yes, a child season ticket is €25, and would work out as good value if used regularly, BUT, it would stop me bringing some of my sons friends to the game with him.

Advertisement