Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

So there goes the hopes of a run in the cup for another year.

Hard to disagree with Tommy Dunne's take, here:

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/sport/7167978/Galway-boss-Tommy-Dunne-blasts-his-side-after-FAI-Cup-exit.html

Anyone know what the story is with Enda Curran? Wasn't listed as injured on Friday and wasn't on the subs' bench either?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I'm bringing my child to the match on Friday night- first time for all of us. Anything useful I should know? What time to arrive for a 7.45pm kick off? Will there be spaces in Dyke road? Can I bring in my own snacks? As you can tell, I'm clueless! Thanks in advance for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'm bringing my child to the match on Friday night- first time for all of us. Anything useful I should know? What time to arrive for a 7.45pm kick off? Will there be spaces in Dyke road? Can I bring in my own snacks? As you can tell, I'm clueless! Thanks in advance for any help.

I usually get there for about 725/730. You can park in the Dyke Rd, loads of spaces, carpark at the ground closes early enough. You can bring in your own snacks. Enjoy the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

You've picked a good game to go to. A lot riding on it for both teams. A must win for United I think if we've any hope of contesting the top four.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I'm bringing my child to the match on Friday night- first time for all of us.

Excellent, great to hear, you'll definitely enjoy yourselves! Make sure to pick up a programme on the way in. A great read.

The club shop behind the goals has plenty of GUFC gear and some great new green GUFC stuff for the Euros as well.

Bring your own snacks for sure. The sweets and hot food on sale in the far corner contributes nothing to the club. I also don't personally recommend it.

If your young fella / lady wants a picture with Terry the Tiger make sure to say hello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

We had a great night- thanks for all your advice. We will definitely be back again later in the summer. Exciting match - shame they couldn't convert all those chances into one goal but we enjoyed it nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

We had a great night- thanks for all your advice. We will definitely be back again later in the summer. Exciting match - shame they couldn't convert all those chances into one goal but we enjoyed it nonetheless.
    We have Shamrock Rovers at home on the 1st of July.

Chalk it down ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

According to the IT anyway

Find the whole thing suspect to say the least - if he was asked to not bring in the banners because it violated the tenancy agreement with the stadium, why did he continue to do so? Why would 40 people (this is a number he gave) boycott the games just because the inevitable happened when he refused to follow house rules that were made clear to him?

I say that as someone who agrees with the message on the banners by the way.

What do ye think?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

You'd have to be some knob to bring that to a football game. Anyway as to why he continued to do so, well he's an attention whore with a long history of this kind of waffle

You'd have to be some knob to bring that to a football game. Anyway as to why he continued to do so, well he's an attention whore with a long history of this kind of waffle

FFS

Is he telling the truth about the 40 people boycotting it because of poor old him though? Why would anyone do that? I'd get it if he was banned out of hand or something, but he was clearly (if the article is correct) banned because he refused to follow rules that were made very clear to him.

I'm totally in favor of repealing the 8th - but what sort of an eejit brings that to a football game, and why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

As soon as I saw the headline on the newspaper I knew who would be involved.

I often agree, in principle, with a lot of what these people protest for or against. But I strongly, strongly dislike the manner in which they put their point across.

There's an undeniable element of attention seeking and knowingly inflammatory posturing that goes on. One could argue that it's all about raising "awareness", but I think a league of Ireland football ground is not the number one place for the discussion and the real issues are often completely overlooked in the inevitable media kerfuffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

I go to EDP with my 9y.o. to watch a game of football and support our local team. I hate to see idiots trying to turn it into a political issue. Delighted to see this 'fan' banned, he'd already been given fair warning and it's great the club followed up on it!
    If the rest of the singing section, who in fairness are real supporters of the club, feel a boycott is justified in order to support him, well that's their call, hopefully they'll realise it's not worth missing a game for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Arghus wrote: »
    As soon as I saw the headline on the newspaper I knew who would be involved.

I often agree, in principle, with a lot of what these people protest for or against. But I strongly, strongly dislike the manner in which they put their point across.

There's an undeniable element of attention seeking and knowingly inflammatory posturing that goes on. One could argue that it's all about raising "awareness", but I think a league of Ireland football ground is not the number one place for the discussion and the real issues are often completely overlooked in the inevitable media kerfuffle.

I see anger busting through out of pure frustration being the only ones out protesting when there really should be a small army of people there and then this type of attention seeking as you put it wouldn't be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Did he say he was in the college for 10 years? Whats he been studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 I Am Justice82

There is a time & a place for everything-sport should be sport & politics should be politics- both should be kept separate , Imagine how leftists would react if a few people displayed a pro Trump banner at a football match they were attending.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

ratracer wrote: »
    I go to EDP with my 9y.o. to watch a game of football and support our local team. I hate to see idiots trying to turn it into a political issue!!

Better not go or support Barcelona anymore

ratracer wrote: »
    I go to EDP with my 9y.o. to watch a game of football and support our local team. I hate to see idiots trying to turn it into a political issue. Delighted to see this 'fan' banned, he'd already been given fair warning and it's great the club followed up on it!
    If the rest of the singing section, who in fairness are real supporters of the club, feel a boycott is justified in order to support him, well that's their call, hopefully they'll realise it's not worth missing a game for!!

leaving aside peoples personal feelings towards this particular protester ye should all realise that matches are constantly used to highlight many very serious and some not so serious issues

sportsjoe.ie/football/ republic-of-ireland-fans-stage-protest-against-john-delaney-at-gibraltar-game/38488

rte.ie/tv/20moments/ moment_90s_clare_offaly.html

pure.conya wrote: »
    I think myself this is Corbetts way of flexing his muscle in his new position which could end up biting him in the backside yet

Because it takes that much muscle to tell someone who is knowingly breaking the rules to cop on or fcuk off?

Something makes me think Corbett won't be losing too much sleep about Joe.

Come off it. You know damn well how divisive and contentious an issue abortion is, nobody wants to go to a match and see a big banner face-off between differing groups.

Really, I see common sense from one side (pro-choice) and nothing but hysterically ignorant religious influenced nonsense from the other side (anti-choice). Abortions have been available to all that can afford to travel to Manchester for them whether or not they're allowed here in Ireland. Savita was my red line and everything that can possibly be done to highlight the need to legislate for abortions here in Ireland should be on the table and I'm sorry if a group of people concerned enough to bring a banner to a game upsets you to the point that you start imagining a big banner face-off between differing groups that never happened and wasn't very likely to ever happen.

I have to hand it to Corbett as he's inadvertantly highlighted the issue locally, nationally and before long internationally no doubt. Maith thú

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

pure.conya wrote:
    leaving aside peoples personal feelings towards this particular protester ye should all realise that matches are constantly used to highlight many very serious and some not so serious issues

pure.conya wrote:
    sportsjoe.ie/football/ republic-of-ireland-fans-stage-protest-against-john-delaney-at-gibraltar-game/38488

pure.conya wrote:
    rte.ie/tv/20moments/ moment_90s_clare_offaly.html

Both these protests were sports related so I've no idea what point you're trying to make.

• Advertisement

Really, I see common sense from one side (pro-choice) and nothing but hysterically ignorant religious influenced nonsense from the other side (anti-choice). Abortions have been available to all that can afford to travel to Manchester for them whether or not they're allowed here in Ireland. Savita was my red line and everything that can possibly be done to highlight the need to legislate for abortions here in Ireland should be on the table and I'm sorry if a group of people concerned enough to bring a banner to a game upsets you to the point that you start imagining a big banner face-off between differing groups that never happened and wasn't very likely to ever happen.

I have to hand it to Corbett as he's inadvertantly highlighted the issue locally, nationally and before long internationally no doubt. Maith thú

So it was attention seeking then Joe?

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Because it takes that much muscle to tell someone who is knowingly breaking the rules to cop on or fcuk off?

Something makes me think Corbett won't be losing too much sleep about Joe.

I'm sure with the many businesses he has on the go there's already enough going on to keep him awake at night but this was a step too far. It's amazing how quick everybody is jumping down Joes throat even though he maintains he was never asked to remove the banners before

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Really, I see common sense from one side (pro-choice) and nothing but hysterically ignorant religious influenced nonsense from the other side (anti-choice)....

Ah forget it, if you can't even see objectively that it's a divisive issue there's no hope for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

We need to keep this nonsense out of sports.

Both these protests were sports related so I've no idea what point you're trying to make.

so, let me get this straight, in your opinion only sports related issues are allowed to be highlighted is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

So you'd be fine with anti abortion banners at games then?

Ah forget it, if you can't even see objectively that it's a divisive issue there's no hope for you.

Forget it? I will not forget it! I couldn't care less if it's a devisive issue or not, my concern is with the stressed out (and sometimes suicidal) women that are forced to adhere to the twisted ideoligal views of the anti-choice brigade! I will not concern myself with how the other side feels so long as they insist on putting lives at risk just to suit their limited empathy towards the right of others to decide what they want to do with their own bodies!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Sorry but I've no idea whats goin on here except some tosspot roaring at a lecturer or somebody?

Actually dont care but since I've typed this much may as well post it.

so, let me get this straight, in your opinion only sports related issues are allowed to be highlighted is it?

It just might make a bit more sense... at a sports game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

xtradel wrote: »
    Sorry but I've no idea whats goin on here except some tosspot roaring at a lecturer or somebody?

Actually dont care but since I've typed this much may as well post it.

Careful, that individual is posting on this thread, doing a bad job of pretending to be someone else.

Advertisement