Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

zarquon wrote: »
    Careful, that individual is posting on this thread, doing a bad job of pretending to be someone else.

If thats true tell him he's also a mong.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Help!!!! wrote: »
    So you'd be fine with anti abortion banners at games then?

I couldn't care less. What I'm actually concerned about is that while all this has been going on (for years at this stage) how many have been forced to travel to England, take pills, throw themselves down the stairs, have killed themselves or done irrapairable damage to their insides trying to deal with an unwanted pregnancy because some people who are never really going to be effected by an abortion insist their feelings matter more than the females that want or really need an abortion. I'll say it again, Savita!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

pure.conya wrote: »

I have to hand it to Corbett as he's inadvertantly highlighted the issue locally, nationally and before long internationally no doubt. Maith thú

But wasn't that the whole point though really? No banning=no notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

I've never liked that guy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

I'm from Kerry and don't know anything about this situation but doesn't President Higgins attend all/most of Galways home games?? Maybe that's why he was trying to protest a political point?

• Advertisement

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    It just might make a bit more sense... at a sports game

so, the sports related protests that actually interupt the games haven't resulted in bans yet a silent protest that wasn't really bothering anybody (until now) deserves this type of action from Corbett?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Careful, that individual is posting on this thread, doing a bad job of pretending to be someone else.

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling that the mask is slipping somewhat too.
    so, the sports related protests that actually interupt the games haven't resulted in bans yet a silent protest that wasn't really bothering anybody (until now) deserves this type of action from Corbett?

Joe, why protest the football game? Who were you trying to convince, or was it in fact attention seeking? Also why were you roaring at that lecturer in the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I couldn't care less. What I'm actually concerned about is that while all this has been going on (for years at this stage) how many have been forced to travel to England, take pills, throw themselves down the stairs, have killed themselves or done irrapairable damage to their insides trying to deal with an unwanted pregnancy because some people who are never really going to be effected by an abortion insist their feelings matter more than the females that want or really need an abortion. I'll say it again, Savita!

So you think bringing banners and creating a toxic atmosphere of protest over a divisive issue to a LOI game is the right way to fix things?

If you want change, bring your political protest to some political buildings, not a football ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Really, I see common sense from one side (pro-choice) and nothing but hysterically ignorant religious influenced nonsense from the other side (anti-choice).

So only one opinion should count in your opinion ??

Irony at it's best.

No intention of getting into a pro or anti argument here. All I'll say is that the vast majority of people go to a game to support their team and enjoy the day out. I doubt that too many are interested in going to see what the 'topic of the moment' outside of their club is going to be.

Some will say he's highlighting an issue - some will say he's a tosspot for doing so. It's called opinions....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

So who is Joe? Does he work or is he a career student?

• Advertisement

So it was attention seeking then Joe?

I really didn't know what you were after typing when I read your reply. I read it a few times and got more confused each time, it just didn't read right but now after reading that other posters think I'm Joe Loughnane it makes perfect sense

I really hope I'm not being racist here but I am most definately Joe, he's Muslim and I'm a sunburnt white boy lol
    dobman88 wrote: »
    I'm from Kerry and don't know anything about this situation but doesn't President Higgins attend all/most of Galways home games?? Maybe that's why he was trying to protest a political point?

The Kerryman is confused, there's a joke in there somewhere ha
    Yeah, I'm getting the feeling that the mask is slipping somewhat too.

Joe, why protest the football game? Who were you trying to convince, or was it in fact attention seeking? Also why were you roaring at that lecturer in the video?

It's really funny, I was on the bus into work this morning and actually passed Joe heading up the Westside
    So only one opinion should count in your opinion ??

Irony at it's best.

No intention of getting into a pro or anti argument here. All I'll say is that the vast majority of people go to a game to support their team and enjoy the day out. I doubt that too many are interested in going to see what the 'topic of the moment' outside of their club is going to be.

Some will say he's highlighting an issue - some will say he's a tosspot for doing so. It's called opinions....

I am insisting the opinion of the women who find themselves in need of an abortion should superceed those who seem the type to have never even experienced an orgasm not mind ever need an abortion themselves! What does it matter to anybody if a small percentage of women have abortions, especially if it ends up killing them even though there's a serious medical issue that demands one to save the life of the mother so her husband and her kids can all be spared the unecessary heartache and hopefully try again in the future for another child, I repeat, Savita.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Someone may have already put this question to you, but here we go: If someone was to bring a pro-life banner to a game, how would you feel about their right to protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Arghus wrote: »
    Someone may have already put this question to you, but here we go: If someone was to bring a pro-life banner to a game, how would you feel about their right to protest?
    He's already stated that he wouldn't care, which I don't believe for a second.

Ever see Loughnane when somebody doesn't agree with his opinion? Stay clear.

So who is he? Is he a Muslim convert? Did he say in the video hes been in college for 10 years?

Arghus wrote: »

I already said I couldn't care less if an anti-choice campaigner brought along a pro-life banner. My only concern is that women are being forced to travel to England, if they can afford it to have an abortion that should be available to anybody that wants or needs it. When I think of the reason Savita was allowed to die in the regional I fail to really give a damn about pro-life banners. Women are literally dying while this nonsense debate is going on!

Whatever! I'm not Joe Loughnane, don't agree with all his politics or his methods of protest but this particular issue with his protest fleg is a step too far!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

Better not go or support Barcelona anymore

I don't support Barcelona, I assume there is some sort of political going on there also then??

As for better not go, why? I'm going to support my local team, and will continue is to do so.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Dropped the ball on this one when the new thread was created but here's the mod warning from the 2015 thread, I'll amend the OP to include it:

Mod:People, Please bare in mind that sports threads usually go in their respective fora - which already have effective, established rules in place suited to their content. We're letting this thread go ahead for now, but keep it light, Galway United related talk for the fans. Expect to get infracted for trolling if you're only here to shit stir. /Mod

As always, report a post if you think there is a problem with it, attacking other posters will not end well for you.

Dropped the ball on this one when the new thread was created but here's the mod warning from the 2015 thread, I'll amend the OP to include it:

Mod:People, Please bare in mind that sports threads usually go in their respective fora - which already have effective, established rules in place suited to their content. We're letting this thread go ahead for now, but keep it light, Galway United related talk for the fans. Expect to get infracted for trolling if you're only here to shit stir. /Mod

As always, report a post if you think there is a problem with it, attacking other posters will not end well for you.

Someone merged this thread with the Galway Utd thread. The last 4 pages were not football related per se

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hopefully the mod warning will return the thread to how it has been before all the non football related rubbish sprung up. Id ask that one person that they take their agenda elsewhere,maybe AH.

Hopefully the mod warning will return the thread to how it has been before all the non football related rubbish sprung up. Id ask that one person that they take their agenda elsewhere,maybe AH.

One of the mods must have merged the threads

• Advertisement

shouldn't the two threads be seperated again? The OP didn't come into this thread to highlight the GUTD fan being banned for a fleg and instead started a new thread to keep the 2 seperate. Now some mod has joined them up and suddenly we can't discuss "non football related rubbish".

shouldn't the two threads be seperated again? The OP didn't come into this thread to highlight the GUTD fan being banned for a fleg and instead started a new thread to keep the 2 seperate. Now some mod has joined them up and suddenly we can't discuss "non football related rubbish".

I have to agree with Joe ;)

Help!!!! wrote: »
    I have to agree with Joe ;)

ROFL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

They should 100% be separated, the political rantings of a serial protester have no place in EDP, therefore to me they have no place in this thread or for that matter in the Galway forum. Take it to politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorry lads, I merged them because we're not going to have new threads every time something GU-related happens.
    Feel free to start a new thread on the separate topic in other forum and discuss it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I'm not arguing with you Biko, just pointing out that this has nothing to do with soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It was about GU fans so hence I just merged it.
    But let's drop it and go back to the real discussion thx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

This is the fourth time you've addressed him as Corbett. He was christened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

yet a silent protest that wasn't really bothering anybody (until now)

Ah come off it. He has been anything but silent.

16 days until the break is over. I was actually relieved when the break came, but now it feels like the end of the October when football is months away.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

975 at the last game , how does the club boost attendances?
    Summer soccer is it working . Or is everyone going away on hols these days and thru Jul/Aug ?+ change in mix in galway students out , tourists in , prob worse for crowds

I fear the season is petering out but I guess mid table is an improvement on last year so not too bad. ]

Advertisement