Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Backwards Compatibility - 50Hz/60Hz

Options
  • 25-12-2015 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭

Okay, finally getting the C-Chassis PS4 tomorrow and the first set of games I'm buying is GTA 3/Vice City/San Andreas*

I'm in a bit of a dilemma, however. I just heard that if you buy them from the European store, you're buying the PAL versions (50hz) and if you buy it with a US account, you get the NTSC60 versions.

Aside from the fact it's rather irritating that this is still a thing, but should I be bothered by this? Granted, I've been playing the PAL versions my whole life and never complained. But now that it's been pointed out, am I going to notice any difference between each version?

Long story short; should I just buy the European PAL versions or would it be a better idea to get the US NTSC versions? Or am I looking too much into it?

THAAANKS! AND A MERRY CHRISTMAS TO MY FELLOW BOARDSIES :)

*= I'll be getting one at a time, can't afford to get all three at once :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Not true at all for the PS4 emulation mode, all PS2 games so far have been shown to run at 60fps when they can but they can drop to 30fps when the double V sync buffer is not fully optomised at certain parts of some games.

The PAL and NTSC thing is only for PS1 and PS2 games running on the PS3. In that case yes get them from the US store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_sOOVV7e8s

I'm playing Vice City right now. It holds up well but the shooting controls make it very hard along with the crazy physics. The popup and popin is very heavy with the high frame rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Not true at all for the PS4 emulation mode, all PS2 games so far have been shown to run at 60fps when they can but they can drop to 30fps when the double V sync buffer is not fully optomised at certain parts of some games.

The PAL and NTSC thing is only for PS1 and PS2 games running on the PS3. In that case yes get them from the US store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_sOOVV7e8s

I'm playing Vice City right now. It holds up well but the shooting controls make it very hard along with the crazy physics. The popup and popin is very heavy with the high frame rate.

Did you get it on PS4 from the Irish store, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Did you get it on PS4 from the Irish store, yeah?

Yep, I don't bother with US accounts anymore because I keep forgetting emails and passwords, I've lost so many games I can never get back.

I enough to remember for work alone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's serious frame pacing issues with the games on the PAL store due to this 50 hz issue apparently. Now most PS2 games have a 60 hz NTSC mode so they would be fine but 50 hz only titles are affected.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's serious frame pacing issues with the games on the PAL store due to this 50 hz issue apparently. Now most PS2 games have a 60 hz NTSC mode so they would be fine but 50 hz only titles are affected.

It shouldn't bother me, it never did in the past. I don't even know why I'm making this a conundrum on myself. I'll probably forget all about it once I start playing it. I've cleared GTA 3 countless times on PS2 and never once recollected and thought "That had horrible frame issues" lol

I might just get it on the EU store as I won't feel like I own it if it's bought on another account besides my main one. Another reason is what was said 2 comments ago, forgetting the account details. I've a bad memory for that kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well ignorance is bliss but I found that once I play the 60 hz versions it's impossible to go back. It's like watching a movie slowed down in the wrong aspect ratio but worse because the controls are considerably more laggy. It makes a massive difference and I'm so annoyed that most of my n64 and ps1 collection are crappy pal versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

?

Is the legacy games for PS4 live?

TheDoc wrote: »
    ?

Is the legacy games for PS4 live?

Couldn't tell ya. If it's the PS2 games being available for Backwards Compatibility, then yeah there's a few of them after becoming available in recent weeks. They can't be played via the PS2 discs, though. They have to be bought digitally. Kind of sh*tty but if I complain about it I'd be wasting my time, since it won't change anything :/ .

I haven't played a PS4 since July so I'm long behind lol

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Oh. Your OP is confusing
    You say that you got a PS4 and are buying old PS games so sounded like the legacy games and stuff went live?

TheDoc wrote: »
    Oh. Your OP is confusing
    You say that you got a PS4 and are buying old PS games so sounded like the legacy games and stuff went live?

I said I was getting a PS4 and I was buying GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas, which were added as part of it's backwards compatibility feature for PS2 games. Upscaled to a higher resolution and trophy support added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭TheZPPanda

I'd go the Canadian route to be honest. 20 dollars credit is 13 euro online and the PS2 emulated games are 15 on that store as well.

Advertisement