Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Brussels Sprouts appreciation thread.

• 25-12-2015 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭

Most of the people I know detest them but i love them.
    Especially if they're cooked in the same water the ham was cooked in.
    A very much maligned vegetable is the poor Brussels Sprout.
    Pile them on !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

As Luke Skywalker would say...."May the farts be with you"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Sear them in a pan with brown sugar, they caramelise and it's amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Always, always loved them. They're best just fried up in a little butter, still crunchy inside. Don't boil them!

I never quite understood why they're a traditional Christmas food here where nobody seems to like them at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Fry some diced smoked bacon, garlic and onion in some olive oil, cut the sprouts into quaters and toss in the bacony/garlicy oil and fry for a few minutes until they start to brown. Transfer to a dish and roast until tender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Little cabbage B*stards....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

Love them anyways except soggy. When I was a kid we were made to eat them and would douse them in vinegar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

The kids call them fartleberrys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I like them but by god they bloat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Love them .... think im the only one in the family that does ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

They are tasty. Especially if parboiled, tossed in a frying pan with shallots, add cream and a little white wine. Reduce and enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Love them plain boiled simple soul that I am... such a short season.. frozen are a different matter and not funny. ALDI, TESCO and Dunnes had them at 49 cents and i nearly need a new cupboard..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Little cabbage B*stards....

Harsh on cabbage to be lumping it in with brussel sprouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Fry some diced smoked bacon, garlic and onion in some olive oil, cut the sprouts into quaters and toss in the bacony/garlicy oil and fry for a few minutes until they start to brown. Transfer to a dish and roast until tender.

Going to try this in the next hour or so. Sounds very appetizing.
    Just waiting for the turkey and ham to near completion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Great for flinging at the knob head at the other end of the table.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Never liked them but we grew our own this year and I grudgingly ate one for tradition's sake... It wasn't as bad as expected!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

One of those things I hated as a kid but I love them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

They're delicious when they're hot, but I find their appeal lessens in direct proportion to their cooling off. The texture and taste seems to change for the worse. If you get the majority down in the first 5 minutes of the dinner, you're laughing, but if you leave them off to the side, intending to get around to them, it may never happen. You may have to admit defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Like most vegetables they're usually horrible in the restaurants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I rather like them myself: kudos to the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Not eaten them in years, got them roasted this time, lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭caille

Love, love, love, LOVE Brussel sprouts :-() I eat them all year round and most days (and no, I am not always blowing off as a result :-() ) Best way to eat them is roasted in the juices of whatever meat you are cooking, they take on the flavour of the meat and go all soft and full of flavour. But I can eat them boiled, frozen ones, with bacon, whichever way I can get them. I LOVE 'EM!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Fcuk, I hate Brussels sprouts, they are like eating pigs testicles. Whatever that is like.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Fcuk, I hate Brussels sprouts, they are like eating pigs testicles. Whatever that is like.

Whatever you do with members of the Gardai is your own business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Whatever you do with members of the Gardai is your own business

Swine, is what I meant ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Brussels Sprouts -

Someone's made a balls of the cabbage :)

Love 'em! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Zimmey

Sound nice but with the meats and all the other trimmings to cook, that's a lot of hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I hate them but must admit, I've never tried them any other way except my mammy's boiled plain ones. Maybe they're OK cooked differently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Fried, with bacon and garlic. Yum yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Little balls of cabbage, what's not to love???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kfallon wrote: »
    Little balls of cabbage, what's not to love???
    +1

Cut the stalk with a knife to remove the outer leaves. Wash and crunch away on them.

Word of warning : When cooked to mush they are amongst the vilest slimyest things ever.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Love them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Had eight beauties today. Delicious. Roll on tomorrow for round two.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

Boil for 15-20mins in vegetable or chicken stock.
    Drain, mix with ham and grated cheese in a buutered dish, knob of butter on top and in oven for another 20 mins.... Have converted a fair few haters with that recipe :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Did it this way today. Fried in real butter though. Num num num.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

This is the way I do them as well but I always grate or add some Parmesan shavings just before serving, they're fantastic they are so tasty they really make up for the bland turkey taste.
    I lived on Malta for a number of years and they were like gold dust to find and they were never quite as tasty as we get here, a friend of mine who grew them back home told me that was because they needed to be exposed to a frost to bring out the best in them.

Last year I spent about five months in Tunisia, right in the middle of summer and the hotel we were staying in served them with every meal and despite being boiled to mush they tasted delicious, I have no idea where they got them but prior to that I always assumed they were a winter vegetable. I was with a group of about ten people and all except one of us loved them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Tried this last year after reading it...and will be doing the same again this year, absolutely gorge!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Here’s my recipe. Requires: sprouts, bacon, butter.

Heat pan to a medium heat.
    Add butter when pan gets hot
    Add bacon
    Take sprouts
    Throw in bin
    Eat bacon
    Everyone happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

For a twist, add a teaspoon of caraway seeds to the above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I think most people either like or tolerate sprouts. This assumption that they are despised by almost everyone seems to have become part of the discussions around Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

MudSkipper wrote: »
    Boil for 15-20mins in vegetable or chicken stock.
    Drain, mix with ham and grated cheese in a buutered dish, knob of butter on top and in oven for another 20 mins.... Have converted a fair few haters with that recipe :-)

In fairness that preperation would make silage taste nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

They are pure scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I love sprouts !
    lightly boiled with a bit of butter hate it when they try and hide the flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

As little cabbages go, they are just as horrible as big cabbages. Unless we are talking raw red cabbage in a coleslaw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

This sounds nice but is far too much faff on Christmas day, especially with limited oven space and lots of plate-spinning going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Steaming is another preparation method that works well, then serve with butter on the side. Just make sure you peel and wash them thoroughly first, you don't want any soil in there.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Sprouts, chorizo, and hazelnuts on a roasting tray, drizzle in olive oil, roast for about 40 minutes giving them a shake once or twice. Fantasmagorical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I love them so much. Usually just boil them, my man uses the ham water at Xmas. Recently I roasted some in a little oil, lovely bite to them. They're just a bit of a pain to peel because I always want to many of the little bleeders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I love them so much. Usually just boil them, my man uses the ham water at Xmas.

“Muh man takes care of me, cooks the sprouts in ham water. Who takes care of me?”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

When cooked correctly they become an average middle of the road vegtable, nothing more, Christmas dinner is all about the meat, stuffing, gravy and roast potatoes, all the other veg don't really matter, even carrots which are grant at best

• Advertisement
Advertisement