Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an insurer for new Iphone

Options
  • 25-12-2015 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭

Hi

What do ye recommend for insurance on new 6S phone.

Would hate to have it stolen ... That my worst fear!!! I am otherwise careful on dropping / spillages etc

What do u recommend and how much u paying annually??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

In the same boat here but I have an Nexus 6P I want to get insurance on. I'm just not sure where the best place is to go for insurance? What companies are other people using?

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I know it is not exactly answering the question, but I would recommend to skip the insurance and just put those 10-15 euros a month on a saving account.

This is because of issues which you will find are regularly reported:
    - shall your phone get stolen (or broken), there is a not so small chance for the insurance to decline the claim because of an obscure policy exclusion you had not noticed (typical examples would be: the phone was not purchased in the Republic of Ireland, the theft didn't involve violence or a threat of violence, etc)
    - Some insurances will intentionally make it difficult to make a claim by being non-responsive or constantly asking for new documents. You'll have to put up with that and keep chasing them if you want a chances of getting what you are due.
    - Even if the claim is accepted, the processing time could be long enough and you could be in limbo wondering whether you are supposed to just purchase a new phone or wait for the insurance to get back. Not knowing what's going on and being without a phone can be annoying.
    - And once you have (hopefully) gone through all the previous steps, they will likely apply an excess and/or factor in the depreciation of the value of your phone. So what you will get will not cover the full amount you originally paid for it.
    - Lastly, rather than paying for or giving you a new item, they could only offer to provide a refurbished item as replacement.

If instead of having insurance you have just being saving 10 euros per month for the past 2 years (getting your phone stolen once every 24 months would already be pretty unlucky and on average you would probably have more), you can just take those 240 euros and use them towards the purchase whichever new phone you want without asking for anyone's permission. Might cost you a bit more than the insurance claim - but much simpler, much quicker, no policy exception and valid regardless of what happened to the phone (even if you just lost it).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dublinercheese

I would get Apple Care+

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I would get Apple Care+

Agreed it's the best option for accidental damage (Apple won't play stupid waiting games or refuse repair for silly reason as much), but it doesn't help the OP who was looking for theft protection (not included in AC+).

Advertisement