Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American 110v 2amp screw gun charger.

Options
  • 25-12-2015 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Was wondering is it safe to plug in the 2 blade American plug with 3pin adapter to 220v wall socket here or do I need step down transformer adapter ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Depends on the charger, can you post a pic of it (the part that says what voltage and current etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Only on the base, hope ya can read it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

You need a transformer

God dang it, may go shopping.

Cheers brightspark..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

God dang it, may go shopping.

Cheers brightspark..

You could also look out for a 230V DeWalt charger. Had one under the bench here so could look it up easily. You need a DE9116 its the equivilant to the one you have. New they are nearly €100 :mad: so see if you can find a second hand one.

• Advertisement

Been looking up step down transformers and they are coming in at between 20-30 euro so probably work out the same . Battery is for dewalt screwdriver so i doubt they are all that common..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

There is probably a good few bits different - see pic attached, might be one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Been looking up step down transformers and they are coming in at between 20-30 euro so probably work out the same . Battery is for dewalt screwdriver so i doubt they are all that common..

The hertz matter as well so a simple step-down traffo will not alter the hertz from 60 to 50 so I think getting the charger with the right DC voltage selection is the way to go.
    You might find a bricks and mortar store

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

The hertz matter as well so a simple step-down traffo will not alter the hertz from 60 to 50 so I think getting the charger with the right DC voltage selection is the way to go.
    You might find a bricks and mortar store

No it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. Irish and UK builders and tradesmen have been using the DW9116 (110V) on site 230V to 110V step down transformers for years and they work perfectly well.

Until recently when DeWalt went over to Li-ion batteries you could buy either the 230V or 110V charger in this country depending on which one you wanted. Most new chargers for Li-ion batteries work off both 110V to 240V the old ones like the OP's for NiCads didn't.

The hertz matter as well ....

those kind usually turn it into DC anyway first thing, you can see it in the left hand sides of these old pair, unless its using it for clocking sorta thing :

BwNs4Yq.jpg

.......so I think getting the charger with the right DC voltage selection is the way to go.

for sure, who is going to take responibility if it burns the whole nearly built house down

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

my3cents wrote: »
    The OP has this http://www.amazon.co.uk/110VDewalt-DW9116-7-2V-Charger-Automatic/dp/B00KEDSXUW which works fine off a 110V site transformer

Agree.

I have a battery charger identical to that and can confirm that it works perfectly with a 230/110V site transformer.

Guy in maiplins blackpool recommended this http://www.maplin.ie/p/maplin-230v-to-110v-100w-voltage-converter-rs59p as charger is drawing 50W. Cheaper usa to uk convertor was 40W max so liable to burn out. Not going to use it on site so it'll be plugged in the workshop and won't be stirring.

Cheers for all the info..

Guy in maiplins blackpool recommended this http://www.maplin.ie/p/maplin-230v-to-110v-100w-voltage-converter-rs59p as charger is drawing 50W. Cheaper usa to uk convertor was 40W max so liable to burn out. Not going to use it on site so it'll be plugged in the workshop and won't be stirring.

Cheers for all the info..

The charger isn't drawing 50W. 50W is what its pushing out. The input side is rated at 120V 2Amps for our calculations thats 240W. Now I doubt it will pull the full 240W but it will take more than 50W.

I'll test mine in a minute and see.

Edit> With a cheap Maplin inline meter my 230V charger is pulling 84 Watts to charge a 18V 2Amp battery that is almost fully charged. So I doubt a 110V charger will use any less?

The Maplin charger linked to is 100W so should be OK but I'd keep an eye on how warm it gets the first couple of uses.

get a site transformer ? you'll be needing one anyway

http://watsonhire.ie/?product=cheapest-transformer-in-ireland

First battery pack charged and no noticeable change in temperature of the transformer.

First battery pack charged and no noticeable change in temperature of the transformer.

The actual current drawn by the charger drops of to next to nothing (4W) once the battery is charged so you don't need to rush to unplug it.

gctest50 wrote: »
    get a site transformer ? you'll be needing one anyway

http://watsonhire.ie/?product=cheapest-transformer-in-ireland

All my sites have 3 pin 220v power supplies..

2nd battery pack on now and the transformer is warming up alright. After that's charged sure I'll hardly have one on directly after the other.

2nd battery pack on now and the transformer is warming up alright. After that's charged sure I'll hardly have one on directly after the other.

Depends on the battery because the battery charger is "intelligent" afaik it supplies as much current as it can without over charging the battery. One of mine charged at 84W and while I had the charger plugged in I charged another battery which charged at about 60W. So it depends on the battery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement