Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good primary school in Douglas cork

Options
  • 25-12-2015 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi ,
    My son will be starting 1st class next sept. We are unable to decide b/w st Columba's and st Anthony's boys school. St Columba's in Douglas would be nearer to home. Met St Anthony's principal , he was very down to earth and I felt like great school for my child although bit far. Any and all suggestions / views are welcome and Would be great help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Corkie100

No direct experience of either but am v familiar with the area- as far as I know, both have v good reputation. Both are big schools and both all boys. I would probably lean towards the more convenient option, as traffic in the Douglas area can be heavy, so might be one factor you could remove if you're much nearer to St. Columbas. Always nice to meet a principal and get a good vibe though, which is what you have from St. Anthony's. I'd really say either will be fine.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Have you considered the Gaelscoil? Smaller school, co-educational, good atmosphere.
    http://www.gaelscoilnaduglaise.ie/index.cfm/page/cl_r_ch_n

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

If it was me between the two I would go with St Anthony's although it is a bit of a pain traffic wise and I have lots of friends who send their kids there with great feedback.

My own go to Rochestown educate together which is currently based in prefabs in moneygourney. It is an excellent school, however they haven't been given a permenant site yet so that may put you off. I have moved to carrigaline and even though I have schools in easy walking distance am keeping them in Rochestown as I like the school so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

My son goes to St Columba's (special needs unit)
    There was a change of principal last year (he retired) but the new guy seems to have great plans etc.
    Teachers have been great over the years
    The school is a little old however there is currently plans to build a new school on site I believe quite shortly
    (also to note if there is ever a sister that needs primary school the girls school is on the same site)
    Cheers
    Toppy

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Both good schools. If I was pushed on it, I would opt for St. Columba's in Douglas, as St. Anthonys is just so big. Douglas Boys School is also about to get a brand new building. Traffic should also be a consideration for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

St. Lukes is a great school also. Me and my brother both went there.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

lekha wrote: »
    Hi ,
    My son will be starting 1st class next sept. We are unable to decide b/w st Columba's and st Anthony's boys school. St Columba's in Douglas would be nearer to home. Met St Anthony's principal , he was very down to earth and I felt like great school for my child although bit far. Any and all suggestions / views are welcome and Would be great help

When you say first class, do you mean first class (the third year in primary school) or junior infants? Just reading it again, you said first class but if so, has your son been in another school already for junior & senior infants?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Techmaster wrote: »
    St. Lukes is a great school also. Me and my brother both went there.

is priority given to Church of Ireland children or is that a myth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The policy is similar to other schools... Priority is given when there is a shortage places in this order:

Siblings
    Children of past pupils
    Locality
    Coi

As far as I know, they are not oversubscribed, so if you apply, you pretty much get in.

St antony's is a different story.

Op, have you been accepted to both schools already?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Nope. Not like that at all. My family are not C of I and we had no issues getting in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Techmaster wrote: »
    Nope. Not like that at all. My family are not C of I and we had no issues getting in.
    http://www.stlukesschool.ie/?page_id=343

It's actually a big part of their admissions policy but as mentioned above if it's not oversubscribed it shouldn't come into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

St.columba's is a good school, friends children attend there and are quite happy with everything the school offers. Having the special needs there too is great.

St.Luke's now, my son attended there, was bullied and it was brushed under the carpet. They do prioritise church of Ireland. I moved my son from there and he is so happy now. Steer clear

Advertisement